Pickin' Peas

Pickin' Peas

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Pickin peas. Land on my knees! sings a pesky rabbit as he merrily eats his way through the pea patch Little Girl has planted. But when Little Girl snatches him up and takes him home to put in a box until pea season is over, the rabbit is soon singing a new tune as he plans his escape. With a nod to Brer Rabbit, Pickin Peas is based on two folktales collected in Alabama and...more
Published June 5th 1998 by HarperCollins (first published March 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Pickin' Peas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pickin' Peas

Chris
Disclaimer: ARC via Netgalley.

Pickin Peas is the beautiful retelling of folktale that originally appeared, according to MacDonald, in Southern Workman. A girl is out picking peas in her garden and confronts a rabbit who, like most rabbits, starts to take the remaining peas.

The story and the accompanying illustrations are absolutely charming.

The retelling is very much in the tradition of the Joel Chandler Harris collected tales – the Brer Rabbit tales (tales in which the hunter animals, such...more
Earicka
*This book is meant to be read aloud and acted out in a group setting*

Little Girl loves her peas so she plants them and waits for them to ripen. Once they are ripe she goes to her garden to pick them all the while singing... The only problem is a pesky rabbit following along behind her also singing and picking her peas! How will she get the rabbit to leave her peas alone?

This was a cute book with beautiful illustrations and a fun premise. I can totally see how this would work for story time!

***T...more
Shawn Thrasher
This is my go-to book for reading aloud to groups of all ages; it works for preschool all the way up to fourth grade. Different ages get different things out of the story, but all find it funny and enjoy singing the simple little songs. Trickster tales are always popular; everyone like Rabbit (and his many, many tricky relatives). The pictures are bright and large. What I especially like about this book is Little Girl being African American. Her race isn't relevant to the story; she just happens...more
Aimee
I received a free digital copy of this book for review. My 4 year old really enjoyed reading this story with me. I thought the illustrations were beautiful. It's a bit of a cross between Brer Rabbit and Peter Rabbit.
DelAnne Frazee
Tags: Folk Tales
Overall Rating: Great 4.5
Reviewed For: NetGalley
Reviewer: DelAnne

Little Girl loves peas and has rows and rows of them in her garden. One day she went out to her garden to pick some of those peas to fix for her to eat. Unfortunately for her there is a sneaky rabbit that likes peas just as muc...more
Amber
((I received this book as an eARC from NetGalley))

Little Girl is in her garden picking peas and singing. A rabbit comes along and starts sneakily eating up all her peas. What will she do when she catches him?

The story is cute, but what I really love are the illustrations. They're so fun and colorful. There are a lot of pages with full-color illustrations and no text, perfect when reading with younger kids. They'll be able to point out all the actions and objects in the pictures without being dis...more
Andréa
The wonderfully colorful and expressive illustrations earn 4 stars, but the less-than-grammatical conversational style of the text dropped my overall rating to 3 stars. I appreciate the folk lore origins of the story; I just find it hard to read a story, especially out loud, that's written in such a different style from how I myself would speak.

The repeating verse throughout the book will get into kids' heads and have them chanting along with the story. They'll laugh at the rabbit's antics, espe...more
Linda "La La"
The illustrations in this book are DELICIOUS!!!! The story has a great reading rhythm to it and is like a fable with a lesson to be learned. I am definitely featuring this book on my Children's book blog. I was approved for an eARC of this book on Netgalley in return for an honest review.
Asho
This is a fun book to read aloud. There's a little song that repeats throughout, and the author suggests hand gestures to go along with it. I think an older child would be amused by the story of the clever rabbit, and my baby enjoyed the song.
PacaLipstick Gramma
I loved this book!

It was fun, and I could imagine reading it to a group of first graders, instead of just one! It is catchy and the illustrations are colorful. It held my captive audience of one engrossed.
Tia
Dec 11, 2007 Tia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children
Shelves: childrens-corner
I forgot how much my boys loved this when they were younger. I just read it to dd for the first time today and she can't get it out of her head. She is just singing it and hoping along.
Jun 13, 2007 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: moms with kids
I love the storyteller style of this book, plus my son LOVES music so much, so it's nice that there's songs to sing throughout the book (with the tune to sing it to in the back!)
Beth
Dec 23, 2007 Beth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children
Shelves: gabriels-books
What a cute book! Gabriel really enjoyed it although he thought he wouldn't. LOL He's still singing the song to himself.
Carolyn Injoy
Jul 24, 2014 Carolyn Injoy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: I would not recommend it.
Recommended to Carolyn by: NetGalley
Pickin' Peas by Margaret Read MacDonald & Pat Cummings

I received an free e-copy of this book from NetGalley for review. I gave it two stars.

While restoring a tale from the past is an admirable concept, this story was VERY difficult to follow because of the spacing of the letters. The singing rabbit was off key & his hopping through the garden fell flat. I found it confusing & hard to read. For this reason I gave it only 2 Stars.

Cute story, cute cover but not recommended.

Sheila
You can judge this book by the cover - it's absolutely adorable!!! I love this book.
Emma
I received a free copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

At first I read this on my kindle and it was all jumbled up. Then I read it on the PDF file and it was amazing. The artwork was beautiful, and I liked how the story was written over the picture, made it feel very involved. Even though I did not know the tune I found myself singing the song in my head, it was catchy. The bunny was so clever and cute. I would recommend this book to children especially if they have p...more
Hannah
Jun 18, 2009 Hannah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: every kinder on the planet
Recommended to Hannah by: myself
When i was in kindergarden i absoulutly lovd this book
Angie
A really fun read aloud!
Dolores
Cute story! Lovely illustrations!

I appreciate the author's suggestions for enhancing the story-telling when this is to be read aloud to children. And I would probably only use it as a read aloud. It's a folk tale and is written in folk tale form, which means that the grammar is off. I'm kind of a stickler for NOT presenting bad grammar to young students in written form.
Sultan * Baby Mama Smut-a-teer*
This was a real cute book book the e-copy I got wAs all mixed up and read all confusing. Carmine and I made do and enjoyed the story along with the illustrations.
Paula
Feb 07, 2012 Paula rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: pic
Wonderful tale with a cute little song for kids.
Henry
Henry marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
TheFountainPenDiva
TheFountainPenDiva marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ashland 566 Autum...: Picture Book 43 1 1 Nov 18, 2012 05:30AM
The Squeaky Door Mabela the Clever Too Many Fairies: A Celtic Tale Go To Sleep, Gecko!: A Balinese Folktale The Boy from the Dragon Palace: A Folktale from Japan