Start by marking “Creative Nature & Outdoor Photography” as Want to Read:
Creative Nature & Outdoor Photography

Creative Nature & Outdoor Photography

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  11 reviews
A classic guide to creative nature photography, now updated for the digital world.

Amateur and experienced photographers interested in taking more compelling, personal images will love this new edition of Creative Nature & Outdoor Photography, now updated to address the exciting possibilities (and challenges) of digital image-making. Author Brenda Tharp’s inspiring appr
Paperback, Revised, 160 pages
Published February 23rd 2010 by Amphoto Books (first published March 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Creative Nature & Outdoor Photography, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creative Nature & Outdoor Photography

Sharada Prasad CS
I am new to photography. But I have read so many books on landscape photography that after a while I don't really learn much from a new book. But this book seemed very useful. It had lot of new content related to composition. I am a fan of exposure data which was provided for every photograph in the book. The book also lists a large number of techniques but does not talk about the gear and other technical details in detail. But this is a great book for beginners to intermediate photographers.
Mark
I just finished a one week workshop with Brenda Tharp at Maine Media Workshops. After learning so much from this gifted teacher I just had to run out and buy the book to learn even more. Brenda makes it so clear that good photography is very much an expression of self and that the more aware we become of ourselves in this universe, and the more we are able to bypass our fears and live fully in the moment, the more we will be able to create photographs that speak of that experience.
Amanda
This is not so much a technical, 'how to tweak the settings on your camera' type of book; it focuses much more on how to use light, color, composition, etc. to take beautiful photographs. She also suggests activities/exercises to try and help you to explore the ideas she outlines in her book. I will definitely be bringing a better educated eye out with me when I go on my next photography mission!
Vanessa
I enjoyed this book. To me the discussion on composition and design is well balanced with the technical aspects. The pretty pictures really help illustrate the discussion points. Quite inspiring, especially the section on abstract/impressionist approach.
Vaughn Bender
A great book both visually and written explaining and showing great ways of composition for a Photographer looking for inspiration. Very much enjoyed it, it is very refreshing reading this.
Melissa
I thought this was really good. Definitely better for non-beginning photographers which is such a nice change. Great tips, advice and technique.
Terry
"Everything has an essence, but to find it you'll need to open your mind and throw out your need to be literal"
--Brenda Tharp, Author
Kate
3 1/2 stars. This book is quite good, if a bit basic. But I did find her chapter on composition had some excellent tips.
Garth Bishop

Really great book about the softer skills of photography. Wish my library had the updated version.
Qua Veda
Good overview of basic concepts for "seeing" compelling images.
Susinok
Very nice. Lots of good ideas and techniques.
LY
LY marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Carsten Søndergaard
Carsten Søndergaard marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Mish
Mish added it
Aug 18, 2015
Andrew
Andrew added it
Jul 18, 2015
J. d'Artagnan
J. d'Artagnan marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Niki Jacobs
Niki Jacobs marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Abhineet Gupta
Abhineet Gupta is currently reading it
May 24, 2015
  • John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide
  • Understanding Close-Up Photography: Creative Close Encounters with Or Without a Macro Lens
  • The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression
  • Vision & Voice: Refining Your Vision in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
  • Digital Wedding Photography: Capturing Beautiful Memories
  • Travel Photography: A Guide to Taking Better Pictures
  • Galen Rowell's Inner Game of Outdoor Photography
  • The Photographer's Mind: Creative Thinking for Better Digital Photos
  • Complete Digital Photography (Graphics Series)
  • The Moment It Clicks: Photography Secrets from One of the World's Top Shooters
  • The Print (Ansel Adams Photography, #3)
  • Light It, Shoot It, Retouch It: Learn Step by Step How to Go from Empty Studio to Finished Image
  • Night Photography: Finding Your Way In The Dark
  • Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
  • Fundamentals of Photography: The Essential Handbook for Both Digital and Film Cameras
  • On-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Extraordinary Everyday Photography: Awaken Your Vision to Create Stunning Images Wherever You Are