Start by marking “Creative Nature & Outdoor Photography” as Want to Read:
Creative Nature & Outdoor Photography

Creative Nature & Outdoor Photography

A classic guide to creative nature photography, now updated for the digital world.

Amateur and experienced photographers interested in taking more compelling, personal images will love this new edition of Creative Nature & Outdoor Photography, now updated to address the exciting possibilities (and challenges) of digital image-making. Author Brenda Tharp’s inspiring appr
Paperback, Revised, 160 pages
Published February 23rd 2010 by Amphoto Books (first published March 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Creative Nature & Outdoor Photography, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creative Nature & Outdoor Photography

Jeff
Sep 24, 2016 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography
If, like me, you just look at nature and make a photo without thinking too much then this book will help you immensely.
Sharada Prasad CS
Apr 11, 2012 Sharada Prasad CS rated it liked it
I am new to photography. But I have read so many books on landscape photography that after a while I don't really learn much from a new book. But this book seemed very useful. It had lot of new content related to composition. I am a fan of exposure data which was provided for every photograph in the book. The book also lists a large number of techniques but does not talk about the gear and other technical details in detail. But this is a great book for beginners to intermediate photographers.
Mohammed
Jul 29, 2016 Mohammed rated it it was amazing
Essential for aspiring photographers.
Amanda
Nov 09, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not so much a technical, 'how to tweak the settings on your camera' type of book; it focuses much more on how to use light, color, composition, etc. to take beautiful photographs. She also suggests activities/exercises to try and help you to explore the ideas she outlines in her book. I will definitely be bringing a better educated eye out with me when I go on my next photography mission!
Mark Hiser
Jun 12, 2011 Mark Hiser rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished a one week workshop with Brenda Tharp at Maine Media Workshops. After learning so much from this gifted teacher I just had to run out and buy the book to learn even more. Brenda makes it so clear that good photography is very much an expression of self and that the more aware we become of ourselves in this universe, and the more we are able to bypass our fears and live fully in the moment, the more we will be able to create photographs that speak of that experience.
Vanessa
Aug 16, 2013 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. To me the discussion on composition and design is well balanced with the technical aspects. The pretty pictures really help illustrate the discussion points. Quite inspiring, especially the section on abstract/impressionist approach.
Terry
Aug 17, 2014 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Everything has an essence, but to find it you'll need to open your mind and throw out your need to be literal"
--Brenda Tharp, Author
Vaughn Bender
A great book both visually and written explaining and showing great ways of composition for a Photographer looking for inspiration. Very much enjoyed it, it is very refreshing reading this.
Melissa
Jun 11, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was really good. Definitely better for non-beginning photographers which is such a nice change. Great tips, advice and technique.
Garth Bishop

Really great book about the softer skills of photography. Wish my library had the updated version.
Kate
Oct 12, 2013 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography
3 1/2 stars. This book is quite good, if a bit basic. But I did find her chapter on composition had some excellent tips.
Jeremiah Grant
Jeremiah Grant rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2013
Abhineet Gupta
Abhineet Gupta rated it liked it
May 24, 2015
Brad Prinzhorn
Brad Prinzhorn rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2014
John Koehm
John Koehm rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Kurt
Kurt rated it really liked it
May 21, 2014
Jonas
Jonas rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2016
Warren Goodwin
Warren Goodwin rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2015
RC Haller
RC Haller rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2017
Susinok
Mar 12, 2014 Susinok rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography
Very nice. Lots of good ideas and techniques.
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2016
Mcstatham
Mcstatham rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2017
Troutbum52
Troutbum52 rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2014
Greg Briden
Greg Briden rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2015
Andrei Berechet
Andrei Berechet rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Ann Mayberry
Ann Mayberry rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Iggy
Iggy rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2011
See-ming Lee
See-ming Lee rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2009
Diann L'roy
Diann L'roy rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Nathaniel Whitmore
Nathaniel Whitmore rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide
  • Digital Wedding Photography: Capturing Beautiful Memories
  • Understanding Close-Up Photography: Creative Close Encounters with Or Without a Macro Lens
  • Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision
  • The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression
  • The Hot Shoe Diaries: Big Light from Small Flashes (Voices That Matter)
  • Complete Digital Photography
  • Travel Photography: A Guide to Taking Better Pictures
  • Galen Rowell's Inner Game of Outdoor Photography
  • The Complete Guide to Night and Low-Light Photography
  • Night Photography: Finding Your Way In The Dark
  • Best Business Practices for Photographers
  • Fundamentals of Photography: The Essential Handbook for Both Digital and Film Cameras
  • The Ansel Adams Guide: Basic Techniques of Photography, Book 1 (Ansel Adams Guide to the Basic Techniques of Photography, #1)
  • On-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »