Start by marking “Second Chances” as Want to Read:
Second Chances

Second Chances

2.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  68 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Jane Porter's dreams of marrying Mike Farley, the handsome cowboy who lives on the neighboring ranch, are shattered when Mike suddenly marries a redheaded stranger he met at the Wild Horse Saloon in Casper, Wyoming. After Mike stomped all over Jane's heart with his cowboy boots, can Jane ever trust her heart to a man again?

Mike Farley marries beautiful Samantha Jo Smith af
Paperback, Revised Edition, 180 pages
Published February 11th 2010 by Star Publish LLC (first published January 24th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Second Chances, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Chances

Dinjolina
Inbreeding.
This is the only answer that can explain why the characters acted the way they did.

I have no idea where to start. First off, the writing was bad. The plot and character development were worse, but the dialogue and monologue musings were just something that hit me harder.

Why?

Well, if the characters were so unlikable and the plot made me depressed, did the sentence building have to butcher my brain, as well? That's just not fair, lady!

As for the characters…the ‘hero’ has officially wo
Fre06 Begum
Nov 14, 2014 Fre06 Begum rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The female lead was pathetic and Mike was an asshole who did not love her or even respect her but she still hung about like a fool. So if you like books where guy really doesn't think much of his leading lady and is in love with ow and female lead who will accept anything as long she has her guy then this book is for you! I myself deleted it and wished I never read such a horrible book.
Serena
May 21, 2011 Serena rated it did not like it
I read the 'revised' edition to this text.

Leaving out the multitude of spelling, grammar, and syntax issues, the storyline of the book is just pathetic.

The heroine, Jane Porter, is ready for the day for her to marry her beau, Mike Farley. The reader finds out- early on- that Mike has married another woman. But he doesn't tell Jane. No, no, her DAD tells her. Mike never bothers. Mike is enthralled with new. He's like the dog in "Up-" easily distracted and follows his baser instincts when it come
Tara
Jul 17, 2012 Tara rated it did not like it
Well even after reading all the bad reviews for this book my curiosity got the best of me and of course it seriously p'd me off!
the hero was the biggest jerk, cheated on his long time girlfriend with a "girl" he just me and married her!
I think what bothered me the most about this book was the heroine's attitude along with her friends and father. It almost seemed like no one cared that he cheated on her cause, well he's married now so you gotta move on with your life and stop sulking. UGH!!! then
Lynn
Where to start...a story with one of the top 10 worst men portraying a man supposedly a hero of he story, he was weak, stupid, faithless and hateful....now onto his worse qualities..... yeah those were his finer points. His heroine was stupid, naive, and believed herself still in love with that man. The two leads in this story have been a couple for a long time, not officially engaged but have a understanding.... well that goes out the window when a idiot hero heads into town and sees a flaming ...more
Carola
Oct 30, 2013 Carola rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Hated, hated this book with passion.
Bad, bad, bad, bad all around. Bad writing, bad plot, horrible characters.

The so-called H is a waste of space, a whiny, annoying momma's boy, who wants his cake and wants to eat it too.
He dumps his long (seriously long) time girlfriend for a barfly, who is just 18 and what the heck is she doing in that bar?
His reason for marrying her: jeez, I told her I would...
But what about TSTL Jane, you know, the woman that has been talking with you about getting married a
Char
The storyline was good. The writing? Well, not sure how old this author is but if she is not in grade or middle school then she must have written this when she was.
Linda
Feb 28, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it
Mike & Jane have grown up, together, on neighboring ranches, kissed & declared their love for one another at 13 & 12. It's always been assumed that they would marry, but suddenly Mike goes off the deep end, marrying a total stranger he met 2 weeks before. Is Jane upset. You BET!!!! This is a story of love rocked to the core by betrayal. Do the characters react like you think they should? Not a chance...BUT they react like real people (some, at least) do.

In the background is Jane's w
Bea
Apr 22, 2012 Bea rated it did not like it
I just could not get into this book at all. I probably wouldn't have finished it if it wasn't so short.

I did not relate to AnY of the characters. This is largely due to the fact that the story was written almost likea script of conversations, which did not lend itself to a whole lot of character development. The story itself was ok, but it's a story that has been told before, and told much better.

This book really fell flat for me in a big bad way.
Sandy Wolters
Nov 15, 2011 Sandy Wolters rated it really liked it
Fast, enjoyable read.

Second Chances: Love Lost, Love Found by Kristie Leigh Maguire is a contemporary western romance, but the writing has the feel of the classic old-time romance novels. I found myself smiling as I read this book, because it made me think of how much my mother would have enjoyed it. We would have each read it and discussed it for days.

I enjoyed the "Second Chance" story line between Jim and Liz very much, but when it came to Jane and Mike, I'm torn. After the unspeakable way Mi
Jeff Dawson
Dec 24, 2012 Jeff Dawson rated it liked it

This a very light-hearted story of loss and love. No, it isn't some great Romance work. Rather, it's something many of us can relate to. A jilted lover, despondency, distrust, an awakening and forgiveness.

How many have wondered if they could forget the mistakes of the past while still harboring feelings for our one true love? I know many who have traveled the path, and that is what this book is about. That is what I enjoyed the most of the story, as I traveled this path not long ago. I
Heeta
God help the world if people who act and think like this really exist. Jane is a huge question mark to the woman species intelligence!

Reasons and forgiveness for cheating is never black and white, but this? You can't call these people rational human beings.
Becky
Dec 28, 2014 Becky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good story

Good book for a quick short story. Couldn't decide if I felt sorry for Samantha Jo or not. Glad Mike and Jane were able to find their happiness!!
Judith
Jan 16, 2012 Judith rated it liked it
This was a very pleasant read and one that didn't take an inordinate amount of time to finish. The story was good--we all feel for someone who is left "holding the bag" when a love of long-standing gets the temporary hots for a flashy young thing and dumps the future they had planned together. It has the feel of one of the paperback romances of the 70's and that isn't all bad. However, I think the writing wasn't on a very mature level--I thought there was lots of repetition that was unnecessary ...more
Jo Notary
Feb 15, 2016 Jo Notary marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cowboy-ranch
180p Mike Farley, a devilishly handsome Wyoming cowboy. Jane Porter, his girlfriend and neighbor whose longtime dream is to be Mrs. Mike Farley. Enter Samantha Jo Smith, a beautiful and sexy red-haired stranger who steals Mike 19s heart like a thief in the night. Can Mike redeem himself with sweet Jane after committing the ultimate betrayal to their love? Find out in Second Chances.
Sharon Tillotson
Sep 10, 2011 Sharon Tillotson rated it liked it
Cute little story with not one but two generations of second chances...
Clare
Clare added it
May 10, 2016
Arsha
Arsha marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Prudence Sibisi
Prudence Sibisi marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Vicki Adderholdt
Vicki Adderholdt marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Dani
Dani marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Willow Greymoor
Willow Greymoor marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Peggy
Peggy added it
Jan 19, 2016
Inky Winky
Inky Winky rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2016
Gratair
Gratair marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
CC
CC added it
Nov 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
321900
Kristie Leigh Maguire and her husband have lived all over the United States and many foreign countries while following his career. While living in Japan, she found it very difficult to find books to read that were written in English. This situation was intolerable as she was an avid reader and had been known to resort to reading cereal boxes if nothing else was available. Have you ever tried to re ...more
More about Kristie Leigh Maguire...