Start by marking “Karneval, Vol. 1 (Karneval, #1)” as Want to Read:
Karneval, Vol. 1 (Karneval, #1)

Karneval, Vol. 1 (Karneval #1)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  1,378 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
When innocent country boy Nai sets foot into the sordid cutthroat realm of the city, he might as well have painted a target on his own back. Kidnappers, murderers and desperados abound, waiting to take advantage of a boy guileless enough to believe blood is merely "red water". When he is framed for a murder, it is the bandit Gareki who bails him out. Being a shrewd and sha ...more
Published February 10th 2011 by Madman (first published March 17th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Karneval, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Rain Misoa
Jul 04, 2013 Rain Misoa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who like manga and pretty boys~
Recommended to Rain by: Myself... I can do that right?
Shelves: manga, lgbtqiap
So when this last season of anime debuts happened, I saw that Karneval was among them... and right away I took to the interesting character designs and animation. It was bright, vivid, colorful, and the characters looked amazing. Well, naturally, I had to go and watch it... and I was NOT disappointed. It was such a fun and cute anime with the occasional FEELS-fest that I just enjoyed myself tremendously. However, the anime left a lot of small details out... a lot of questions left unanswered so, ...more
Martine
Mar 05, 2013 Martine rated it really liked it
I had a few minor things that bugged me a bit with this manga. The main character is setting new standards for naivety, the plot was a little hard to follow at one point and the art, though not unpretty, is something I have to get used to after reading pretty series like Kuroshitsuji, Pandora Hearts or Gate 7. If I had to compare it, it reminds me more of Nabari no Ou, just edgier and their faces are rather long, idk.

But - and this is a really big but - for the first Volume in a series, Karneval
Em
Sep 24, 2011 Em rated it it was amazing
I loved this manga! It's a steampunk, freakshow, distopia, and comedy manga, all rolled into one!
I loved the character of Yogi especially, he's like a big little kid, dumb blonde kinda guy and I just wanted to give him a hug (just saying).
Lola  Reviewer
Feb 23, 2014 Lola Reviewer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teenagers, manga fans
This manga was so interesting! And the graphics, they're amazingly beautiful! I wish there was some romance in it, but except that, it was really great. I can't wait to read the next one.
duniamimpigie Anggi
1. Kenapa gak ada yang mengunggah sampul versi Jepangna di sini???? *padahal dirina sendiri males, meski punya raw-nya :p *

2. Ini tipe manga yang mampu membuat cewek menjerit-jerit dalam sekejap OHMYGAREKIWHYAREYOUSOTSUNTSUNFROMYOURFIRSTCHAPTER!!! :v :v :v
Karakterna loveable semuaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! Mau nyari karakter tipe gimana? Shota ada, tsundere ada, om-om hotseksibersuaraberatbikinmimisan(?) ada, abang-abang cutepenyukaboneka tapi tayorareru (dan berkepribadian ganda) ada, loli manis ada, ne
Nanna
Menceritakan tentang seorang bocah laki-laki bernama Nai berkelana mencari orang. Dengan petunjuk sebuah gelang yang ternyata merupakan suatu identitas anggota Circus, Nai bertemu dengan Gareki, laki-laki yag hidup dari mencuri, dan juga bertemu dengan para anggota Circus.

Awalnya sedikit membingungkan, hubungan antar panelnya masih kurang pas. Tapi makin kebelakang sudah makin membaik. Untuk karakternya ada yang menarik ada yang menyebalkan. Cowok-cowoknya super cakep ♥♥
Untuk tokoh utama sediki
Pip
Feb 23, 2013 Pip rated it it was amazing
I saw that this was going to become an anime in April and the art that was shown on MAL looked pretty so I wanted to try the manga first to see what it was about (and to also see who this Gareki is *u*).

I think I've started to slip down the 'Toga Inu' road again so I'll probably end up liking it at the same magnitude but this series seems to have plot and quite an interesting one at that. I can't wait to read vol.2!

(I'll either end up reading it again or buying it. I will also be starting the se
Emma
Jan 31, 2016 Emma rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I really enjoyed it. Some parts of it surprised me quite a bit, especially regarding Nai. I thought the plot was very interesting and I have many questions regarding what will happen in upcoming events and the characters' pasts. I liked all of the characters, although Nai could be a bit too dimwitted and naive for my tastes, but I think that overall he was a very endearing (and funny) character.
Gada Rabah
Jul 24, 2015 Gada Rabah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
everything is nice about it
N.T. Embe
Jul 04, 2013 N.T. Embe rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers who enjoy a good read with dark and light themes balanced nicely!
Recommended to N.T. by: Rain Misoa

So I recently finished watching the Karneval anime, and since it was a short release of about 13 episodes, once the last volume aired last week, I figured the natural thing to do was to combat its ending after having gotten so involved with it and its characters by reading the manga series. And boy am I glad that I decided to do so. The manga goes into far more depth than the anime does, for obvious reasons of time constraint and so forth. But I really enjoyed getting to see a lot more to the st
dani! ❀
I've been dragged into another series that I never wanted to get involved in. The things I do for shotas. With that said, the plot is very interesting so far and I love how this is going. The anime is going great so far, but I don't often get so curious that I have to check the manga before it's even finished airing. (It was Nai's fault, okay. It wasn't my will.)

I'll just start there--characters. Nai is our somewhat (okay, entirely) oblivious protagonist. He's very innocent, naive, and literally
Ariella
Jun 13, 2013 Ariella rated it really liked it
Read more of my reviews at Secrets of Lost Words.

Rating: B

I haven't read any manga in a long time now and I decided to dive back into that world with Karneval, Vol. 1 by Touya Mikanagi.

Karneval is a refreshing manga as we went in without knowing anything. We immediately get introduced to an innocent boy, Nai, who was just captured by thugs and brought to someone called Lady Mine. Gareki, a stranger, rescues him from Lady Mine. Somehow they got all tangled up with a murder case and a mysterious
Ari
Saya merasa shallow akhir2 ini... Begitu mudahnya tergoda dengan cowok2 cantik di komik.
Jadi sekarang kalo beli komik baru rumusnya cowok cantik+cowok cantik+bromance+tamat = beli
Pun demikian ketika memutuskan untuk membeli komik ini, meskipun belum tamat tapi kata penerjemahnya ini komik shonen-ai nanggung, yaudahlah...

tapi sebagai vol pembuka, vol 1 ini kurang "mengikat"
karakternya belum ada yang menonjol, ada sih yang menonjol; Nai - menonjol bodohnya -.-
cerita dan plotnya standar shonen
art
Ririn
Oct 03, 2015 Ririn rated it liked it
World buildingnya masih belum jelas. Tokoh utamanya, si Nai, agak klemer-klemer. Setidaknya di awal-awal, belakangan lumayan berguna, jadi saya maafkanlah. Totally shipping Gareki and Yogi :D wtf menurut wiki ada 15 volume and masi on-going -_-;; nonton animenya ajalah... sekalian mau denger suara Miyano Mamoru jadi Yogi :D~
✿ cassandra ✿
This is so different from the anime, and tbh I like the manga more. Gareki is too pretty for his own good. The story is really interesting. Good story overall!
Christina
Nov 21, 2014 Christina rated it it was amazing
This was great. I love the action, characters, dialogue was nice, and most of all the characters had a life like aura to them.
❅ (t.c) (hiatus: school)
The art is amazing *_* I loved the drawing and concept of the "Circus" and Nai and Gareki, and the other characters. A promising start for a good shounen series. It has action, adventure, fantasy and mystery all in one ^_^. Sigh, too bad not much of a romance in here (although there is ship-worthy people <3)

My only complain (real tiny, and most or some people would ignore)... is that Nai and Gareki, and most of the charachters are drawn older then they actually are! (>_< again, a minor
Fyre.Katz
Feb 16, 2017 Fyre.Katz rated it really liked it
Shelves: 100-manga_17
Huge volume, but very interesting concept so far!
Sophie
Jun 10, 2012 Sophie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The incredibly innocent and naive Nai is wandering the streets looking for his friend Karoku who has disappeared, having left only his bracelet. Since Nai really is *incredibly* innocent and naive, he is in immediate danger of having his search cut short, but luckily enough he is safed by the more or less (okay, more) dashing thief Gareki. Together, the two of them try to track down the mysterious "Circus", some kind of secret society - maybe they know what happened to Karoku?

Again, while both t
Rena
Jan 31, 2014 Rena rated it really liked it
Something about this story just grabs me right away. No, it isn't the little scene with Yogi in the beginning though Yogi is my baby. I just like how we are dropped right into the story with only a little bit of information as to what is going on, just like Nai. Sweet little innocent Nai is rescued by a tough, off-the-streets, amateur bomb technician Gareki. That sentence alone lets you know that you are in for an adventure.

Circus, is a semi-secret defense organization used to take care of speci
Rahmah
Nov 14, 2015 Rahmah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hamdalah,, akhirnya manga Karneval terbit juga di Indonesia :D
Awalnya tertarik karena nonton animenya, tapi karena cerita di animenya kurang mendalam *dianggap sumur*, berharap manganya terbit di Indonesia XD

Setelah baca sampai akhir, kesannya tidak mengecewakan. Disuguhkan dengan banyaknya peran laki-laki mana ada yang bosan haha XD

Untuk art ada beberapa yang lebih suka di animenya, mungkin karena berwarna jd lebih menarik mata untuk melihatnya. Sedangkan alur cerita tentu saja lebih ke mangany
Tianna
Jul 29, 2016 Tianna rated it liked it
Honestly, it was a little hard to get into. I had to keep pushing on in order to continue reading and eventually finished it, but it took much longer for me to read compared to other manga I've liked of the same size.

With the immediate introduction of some kind of monster, I thought it would be really cool and interesting, but I felt there was just way too much going on all at once and found it a little difficult to understand. Admittedly, I did attempt to read the second one, which I'd borrowed
Hikaoru
Sep 18, 2014 Hikaoru rated it it was amazing
I was attracted to the art at first. Nai looks so cool. But then I found out he was actually extremely naive for a teen. He was easily fooled and acts like he has never seen the world. My over active imagination think that he might be hidden for his ability or he is a lab specimen *gasp*

Overall, I am intrigued by this comic and has already fallen for Gareki and might also like Hirato as well.
The blondie and the girl is interesting as well.

The old rich guy seems like a baddie and might become a p
Michelle *Queen of Dorks*
I'm actually reading this series in 2 volume omnibus editions (where you can see my proper reviews of the series, but I'm too lazy to add a link here), but I'm still adding and rating the single volume editions. More people seem to usually add/rate single volumes of any series that also comes in an omnibus edition; I just want to make sure that anyone who might check books in common with me is really seeing all the books we've both read and not missing something because we shelved different edit ...more
Shie
Feb 04, 2015 Shie rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
* art is gorgeous makes my eyes water

* sometimes nai looks like baby bird mihashi (and my heart always have a soft spot for my anime son so yeah)

* incredible how naive nai is but i feel like there's a reason for it

* hmmm doesn't have that OOMPH factor yet but we'll see

* who the ef is kake-something??? what does he want?? what's yo end goal bruh?
Ozli
Dec 11, 2014 Ozli rated it liked it
I read a fansub of this because the English translation isn't out til March and I needed more Karneval in my life.. even if it was just the show in book form and nothing new. Rating might go up with re-read in March; we'll see. :D
Kelly
Jun 09, 2016 Kelly rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this one because of the pretty art, and the fact that it came so highly recommended, but I can't. The characters need a lot of work; they're either stock-boring or just empty-boring.
Artemis
I have to say the people in anime look better. And I simply love all Circus members including Nai (KAWAIIII~~~ >_<) Gareki (Kakoiii!) and Karoku (Who'd thought of THAT in the end of the season? Even "well-trained plot guesser" :P like me didn't really see it coming.)

Yes. And their EYES! <3
Brener Leopoldino
Jul 13, 2014 Brener Leopoldino rated it liked it
Started reading this because I watched its anime adaptation last year. I really got attached by some characters personalities and I hope to know more of them reading the manga. I enjoyed a lot reading the first volume, that covers the 1st and 2nd episodes of the anime =)
Julie
Finally after months of pestering them, Yen Press have decided to license this manga in English so I can finally buy physical copies instead. I'm so excited. Roll on March 2015!
  • 魔界王子 devils and realist 2 [Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist 2] (Devils and Realist, #2)
  • Nabari No Ou, Vol. 2 (Nabari No Ou, #2)
  • Pandora Hearts, Vol. 16
  • ノラガミ 7 [Noragami 7] (Noragami: Stray God, #7)
  • Kobato., Vol. 01 (Kobato., #1)
  • The Betrayal Knows My Name, Volume 02
  • Deadman Wonderland Volume 5 (Deadman Wonderland, #5)
  • Lover's Doll
  • RustBlaster
  • Hunter x Hunter, Vol. 21 (Hunter x Hunter, #21)
  • The Devil is a Part-Timer Manga, Vol. 3 (The Devil is a Part-Timer Manga, #3)
Native name: 御巫桃也 (Mikanagi Touya)
More about Touya Mikanagi...

Karneval (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Karneval, Vol. 2 (Karneval, #2)
  • Karneval, Vol. 3 (Karneval, #3)
  • Karneval, Vol. 4 (Karneval, #4)
  • Karneval, Vol. 5 (Karneval, #5)
  • Karneval, Vol. 6 (Karneval, #6)
  • カーニヴァル 7 [Kānivaru 7] (Karneval, #7)
  • カーニヴァル 8 [Kānivaru 8] (Karneval, #8)
  • カーニヴァル 9 [Kānivaru 9] (Karneval, #9)
  • カーニヴァル 10 [Kānivaru 10] (Karneval, #10)
  • カーニヴァル 11 [Kānivaru 11] (Karneval, #11)