Start by marking “Karneval, Vol. 1 (Karneval, #1)” as Want to Read:
Karneval, Vol. 1 (Karneval, #1)
Preview

Karneval, Vol. 1 (Karneval #1)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  648 ratings  ·  29 reviews
When innocent country boy Nai sets foot into the sordid cutthroat realm of the city, he might as well have painted a target on his own back. Kidnappers, murderers and desperados abound, waiting to take advantage of a boy guileless enough to believe blood is merely "red water". When he is framed for a murder, it is the bandit Gareki who bails him out. Being a shrewd and sha ...more
Published February 10th 2011 by Madman (first published March 17th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Karneval, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoBleach Volume 01 by Tite Kubo
good manga
124th out of 454 books — 174 voters
Black Butler, Vol. 1 by Yana TobosoFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaSailor Moon, Vol. 01 by Naoko TakeuchiKimi ni Todoke by Karuho ShiinaPandora Hearts, Vol. 01 by Jun Mochizuki
Best Manga Art
59th out of 143 books — 119 voters

More lists with this book...

Rain Misoa
Jul 04, 2013 Rain Misoa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like manga and pretty boys~
Recommended to Rain by: Myself... I can do that right?
Shelves: manga
So when this last season of anime debuts happened, I saw that Karneval was among them... and right away I took to the interesting character designs and animation. It was bright, vivid, colorful, and the characters looked amazing. Well, naturally, I had to go and watch it... and I was NOT disappointed. It was such a fun and cute anime with the occasional FEELS-fest that I just enjoyed myself tremendously. However, the anime left a lot of small details out... a lot of questions left unanswered so, ...more
Martine
I had a few minor things that bugged me a bit with this manga. The main character is setting new standards for naivety, the plot was a little hard to follow at one point and the art, though not unpretty, is something I have to get used to after reading pretty series like Kuroshitsuji, Pandora Hearts or Gate 7. If I had to compare it, it reminds me more of Nabari no Ou, just edgier and their faces are rather long, idk.

But - and this is a really big but - for the first Volume in a series, Karneval
Em
I loved this manga! It's a steampunk, freakshow, distopia, and comedy manga, all rolled into one!
I loved the character of Yogi especially, he's like a big little kid, dumb blonde kinda guy and I just wanted to give him a hug (just saying).
Lola
Feb 23, 2014 Lola rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teenagers, manga fans
This manga was so interesting! And the graphics, they're amazingly beautiful! I wish there was some romance in it, but except that, it was really great. I can't wait to read the next one.
Dani
I've been dragged into another series that I never wanted to get involved in. The things I do for shotas. With that said, the plot is very interesting so far and I love how this is going. The anime is going great so far, but I don't often get so curious that I have to check the manga before it's even finished airing. (It was Nai's fault, okay. It wasn't my will.)

I'll just start there--characters. Nai is our somewhat (okay, entirely) oblivious protagonist. He's very innocent, naive, and literally
Ariella
Read more of my reviews at Secrets of Lost Words.

Rating: B

I haven't read any manga in a long time now and I decided to dive back into that world with Karneval, Vol. 1 by Touya Mikanagi.

Karneval is a refreshing manga as we went in without knowing anything. We immediately get introduced to an innocent boy, Nai, who was just captured by thugs and brought to someone called Lady Mine. Gareki, a stranger, rescues him from Lady Mine. Somehow they got all tangled up with a murder case and a mysterious
N.T. Embe
Jul 04, 2013 N.T. Embe rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Readers who enjoy a good read with dark and light themes balanced nicely!
Recommended to N.T. Embe by: Rain Misoa

So I recently finished watching the Karneval anime, and since it was a short release of about 13 episodes, once the last volume aired last week, I figured the natural thing to do was to combat its ending after having gotten so involved with it and its characters by reading the manga series. And boy am I glad that I decided to do so. The manga goes into far more depth than the anime does, for obvious reasons of time constraint and so forth. But I really enjoyed getting to see a lot more to the st
Pip
I saw that this was going to become an anime in April and the art that was shown on MAL looked pretty so I wanted to try the manga first to see what it was about (and to also see who this Gareki is *u*).

I think I've started to slip down the 'Toga Inu' road again so I'll probably end up liking it at the same magnitude but this series seems to have plot and quite an interesting one at that. I can't wait to read vol.2!

(I'll either end up reading it again or buying it. I will also be starting the se
❅ (t.c) (hiatus: school)
The art is amazing *_* I loved the drawing and concept of the "Circus" and Nai and Gareki, and the other characters. A promising start for a good shounen series. It has action, adventure, fantasy and mystery all in one ^_^. Sigh, too bad not much of a romance in here (although there is ship-worthy people <3)

My only complain (real tiny, and most or some people would ignore)... is that Nai and Gareki, and most of the charachters are drawn older then they actually are! (>_< again, a minor
Rena
Something about this story just grabs me right away. No, it isn't the little scene with Yogi in the beginning though Yogi is my baby. I just like how we are dropped right into the story with only a little bit of information as to what is going on, just like Nai. Sweet little innocent Nai is rescued by a tough, off-the-streets, amateur bomb technician Gareki. That sentence alone lets you know that you are in for an adventure.

Circus, is a semi-secret defense organization used to take care of speci
Hikaoru
I was attracted to the art at first. Nai looks so cool. But then I found out he was actually extremely naive for a teen. He was easily fooled and acts like he has never seen the world. My over active imagination think that he might be hidden for his ability or he is a lab specimen *gasp*

Overall, I am intrigued by this comic and has already fallen for Gareki and might also like Hirato as well.
The blondie and the girl is interesting as well.

The old rich guy seems like a baddie and might become a p
duniamimpigie Anggi
1. Kenapa gak ada yang mengunggah sampul versi Jepangna di sini???? *padahal dirina sendiri males, meski punya raw-nya :p *

2. Ini tipe manga yang mampu membuat cewek menjerit-jerit dalam sekejap OHMYGAREKIWHYAREYOUSOTSUNTSUNFROMYOURFIRSTCHAPTER!!! :v :v :v
Karakterna loveable semuaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! Mau nyari karakter tipe gimana? Shota ada, tsundere ada, om-om hotseksibersuaraberatbikinmimisan(?) ada, abang-abang cutepenyukaboneka tapi tayorareru (dan berkepribadian ganda) ada, loli manis ada, ne
Sophie
The incredibly innocent and naive Nai is wandering the streets looking for his friend Karoku who has disappeared, having left only his bracelet. Since Nai really is *incredibly* innocent and naive, he is in immediate danger of having his search cut short, but luckily enough he is safed by the more or less (okay, more) dashing thief Gareki. Together, the two of them try to track down the mysterious "Circus", some kind of secret society - maybe they know what happened to Karoku?

Again, while both t
Shiela
* art is gorgeous makes my eyes water

* sometimes nai looks like baby bird mihashi (and my heart always have a soft spot for my anime son so yeah)

* incredible how naive nai is but i feel like there's a reason for it

* hmmm doesn't have that OOMPH factor yet but we'll see

* who the ef is kake-something??? what does he want?? what's yo end goal bruh?
Brener Leopoldino
Started reading this because I watched its anime adaptation last year. I really got attached by some characters personalities and I hope to know more of them reading the manga. I enjoyed a lot reading the first volume, that covers the 1st and 2nd episodes of the anime =)
Mary
Mar 17, 2015 Mary rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2015
This book needs more depth and explanations. "It's just like BOOM! and then qwertghjndslbhsvxbfshb..." I understand what's happening but, I don't know, it's missing lots.
Kathryn
*3.5 stars, but only for volume 1*

Lovely art and intense storyline. The only thing that puts me off is Nai's naivety, though that makes sense later on.
Steven
You're thrown in knowing nothing, but it slowly starts to come together towards the end... kinda.
Ozli
I read a fansub of this because the English translation isn't out til March and I needed more Karneval in my life.. even if it was just the show in book form and nothing new. Rating might go up with re-read in March; we'll see. :D
Drhr Dh
نجمه عشان الغموض
حاسه بتوهه بس نستمر نقراء #///#
Mayo
Hoooolllllllyyyyysheeeeeet!
kashiichan
This manga seems to have thrown the readers in head-first; to be honest, I'm not 100% sure what's going on. Might try another volume before forming an opinion.
Artemis
I have to say the people in anime look better. And I simply love all Circus members including Nai (KAWAIIII~~~ >_<) Gareki (Kakoiii!) and Karoku (Who'd thought of THAT in the end of the season? Even "well-trained plot guesser" :P like me didn't really see it coming.)

Yes. And their EYES! <3
Mayday
Read it because someone said that it'd get animated next season. Bishies are everywhere. Good artwork, but sadly I didn't really understand its story at all, not that interesting actually.
Julie
Finally after months of pestering them, Yen Press have decided to license this manga in English so I can finally buy physical copies instead. I'm so excited. Roll on March 2015!
Calla
Feb 11, 2011 Calla rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
I love this series but I stopped reading it and then I came back to it...I dont know why I stopped because I love this manga so much. Wish they turned it into an anime though.
Célia
Un shonen parmi les shonen... avec un personnage principal attachant et un univers assez original. Sans plus.
Lottie Eve
This was a but hard to follow at first, but really good! Review to come!
Mariah
Nai is super cute! So innocent and lovable!
  • 魔界王子 devils and realist 1 [Makai Ouji Devils and Realist 1]
  • Pandora Hearts 10
  • Deadman Wonderland Volume 5 (Deadman Wonderland, #5)
  • The Betrayal Knows My Name, Volume 4
  • Nabari No Ou, Vol. 2
  • Noragami, Vol. 9 (Noragami, #9)
  • 黒子のバスケ [Kuroko no Basuke] 1 (Kuroko's Basketball, #1)
  • Switch Girl!!, Tome 1
  • Tegami Bachi, Vol. 2: Letter Bee/The Letter to Jiggy Pepper
Native name: 御巫桃也 (Mikanagi Touya)
More about Touya Mikanagi...

Karneval (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Karneval, Vol. 2 (Karneval, #2)
  • Karneval, Vol. 3 (Karneval, #3)
  • Karneval, Vol. 4 (Karneval, #4)
  • Karneval, Vol. 5 (Karneval, #5)
  • Karneval, Vol. 6 (Karneval, #6)
  • カーニヴァル [Kānivaru] 7 (Karneval, #7)
  • カーニヴァル [Kānivaru] 8 (Karneval, #8)
  • カーニヴァル [Kānivaru] 9 (Karneval, #9)
  • カーニヴァル [Kānivaru] 10 (Karneval, #10)
  • カーニヴァル [Kānivaru] 11 (Karneval, #11)
Karneval, Vol. 2 (Karneval, #2) Karneval, Vol. 3 (Karneval, #3) Karneval, Vol. 4 (Karneval, #4) Karneval, Vol. 5 (Karneval, #5) Karneval, Vol. 6 (Karneval, #6)