Start by marking “Visions: How Science Will Revolutionize the 21st Century” as Want to Read:
Visions: How Science Will Revolutionize the 21st Century

Visions: How Science Will Revolutionize the 21st Century

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,840 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
In Visions, physicist and author Michio Kaku examines the great scientific revolutions that have dramatically reshaped the twentieth century--the quantum mechanics, biogenetics, and artificial intelligence--and shows how they will change and alter science and the way we live.

The next century will witness more far-reaching scientific revolutions, as we make the transition f
Published September 15th 1998 by Anchor (first published September 15th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Visions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Visions

Eternity by Michael HanlonIndistinguishable from Magic by Robert L. ForwardNanotechnology by Mark A. RatnerPhysics of the Impossible by Michio KakuThe Physics of Superheroes by James Kakalios
Numenera Nonfiction
7th out of 14 books — 1 voter
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality by Eliezer YudkowskyOutliers by Malcolm GladwellA Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill BrysonFreakonomics by Steven D. LevittGetting Things Done by David Allen
Books for ENTP Personality Type
24th out of 102 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Owlseyes
Jun 30, 2016 Owlseyes rated it really liked it
Recommended to Owlseyes by: well sians

Kaku once said that H.G. Wells was "one century ahead"..., of his time.

"When Isaac Newton walked along the beach, picking up seashells,he did not realize that the vast ocean of undiscovered truth that lay before him would contain such scientific wonders.He probably could not foresee the day when science would unravel the secret of life,the atom and the mind. Today, that ocean has yielded many of its secrets".

A very, very interesting book,both for scientists and laypeople. Published in 1997, it
Heather
Jul 04, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, non-fiction
Richard Dawkins defines "poetic magic" as something deeply moving, something exhilarating, something that gives you goose bumps in the night... in short, makes you feel good to be alive. Reading a book by Michio Kaku is poetic magic. Approachable, entertaining science writing, about reaching toward mastery of matter, life, and intelligence to reshape ourselves and the universe around us.

This was written about 15 years ago, so as a futurism book it's dated in places, but since we're only 12 years
Priya
Oct 07, 2011 Priya rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The book was written in 1997, so it was interesting to see how Kaku's short term projections came out. It is split into the quantum revolution, computer revolution, and molecular revolution, with the broad theme that soon we will become masters instead of observers of the universe. By soon, I mean at least 100-10,000 years, depending on your definition of master. Anyway, it was a fun read. I will probably check out his most recent book, Physics of the Future.
Craig
Mar 08, 2009 Craig rated it did not like it
Kaku just sees to repeat a few sound bites over and over. He makes the common pop science mistake of truncating his explanations as they get technical, rather than explaining them in layman's terms. The result is like climbing into fog - the science becomes disembodied and disconnected.
Donna
Jul 13, 2007 Donna rated it really liked it
I inadvertently made this book even more intellectually intriguing than it would have been otherwise by waiting ten years to read it.

Published in 1997, Visions is a futuristic look at what’s likely to happen in the decades to come in three areas of science that are rapidly converging: computer science, biotechnology, and quantum physics. As nearly as I can tell as a layperson, Kaku has been dead-on for the first decade since the book’s publication. Consequently, even his most off-the-wall predi
Alberto
Jun 02, 2008 Alberto rated it it was amazing
This is about technological developments for the next 100 years and beyond. A great investigation by a great scientist.

Written about 10 years ago, so its getting outdated but a lot of the predictions are happening. Good for anybody in the technology field or interested in tech foresight.
Vincent Saputra
Apr 19, 2015 Vincent Saputra rated it really liked it
This book is not a science fiction but rather a quite logical prediction on how the science will evolve. Michio Kaku interviewed hundreds of scientists nad presented their views in this book. He argued that the 21st century science achievement will be driven by computer revolution, biomedical, and quantum physics. The three achievements will merge into one big theory of everything. What i like about this book is that it presents the science in an easy to read book for non-scientists like me. I f ...more
Lucas Ventura
Sep 02, 2014 Lucas Ventura rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
It's far out to read a book that was written before the turn of the century, which predicts technological advances that are indeed unfolding today. Yet it still provides an insightful and intriguing look into the future possibilities and directions of technology.
In some ways, the predictions are spot on or even a bit conservative, yet in others technology has yet to truly arrive at the threshold. It makes me wonder at times if it is overzealous prediction, or that science is being stymied by cul
Chris Meger
Jun 02, 2008 Chris Meger rated it really liked it
If you have any intention of keeping up with the 21st century, your best bet is to get out ahead of it. Read and learn.
Jason Mcclenney
Jun 16, 2009 Jason Mcclenney rated it really liked it
I learned all about the future in this book. There are three main areas talked about in the book. These are: the computer revolution, the biotechnology revolution, and the quantum revolution.

I am most interested in the computer revolution. Computers are always getting smaller, faster, and able to store more. They will become increasingly ubiquitous in our lives. My favorite subject was artificial intelligence. I am fascinated by the brain, so I loved when the author expounded on how the brain wo
Leon M
Jan 23, 2010 Leon M rated it really liked it
Shelves: future, physics
Dreami
Jul 04, 2015 Dreami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كتاب رائع ممتع بسيط، فهو بمثابة نظرة شاملة علي قرن قادم، ستري من خلال عيون المؤلف ما سيكون عليه العالم في القرن الواحد والعشرين. الكتاب يتعرض لكل مجالات العلم في المستقبل ، وأكثر من ذلك فأنه يشرح كثير من الإكتشافات المركزية التي ستكون الركيزة الأساسية لهذا التطور في المستقبل. وذلك يعد بمثابة برهان واقعي إلي حد كبير علي لما أتي في الكتاب من تكهنات بمستقبل العلم والعالم في هذا القرن، وبخاصة إذا جاءت هذه التكهنات من عالم بقدر كاكو.

ولا أنسي أن أشير وأشكر المترجم سعدالدين خرفان، فترجمته تجعلك تشعر ب
Krzyszu
Feb 26, 2016 Krzyszu rated it really liked it
To wspaniałe uczucie, przeczytać w 2016 roku książkę wizjonerską - wręcz fantastyczno-naukową - z 1997 roku o kierunkach rozwoju myśli technologicznej, biologicznej, czy fizyczno-chemicznej, jaka czeka nas w XXI, a której WIZJE sprawdziły się i nadal sprawdzają się w otaczającej mnie rzeczywistości. Oby tak dalej - O, ludzkości!
Jos
Nov 09, 2013 Jos rated it really liked it
Still a very good read.

Reread this book (1'st read was in 1999/2000) after having finished "Physics of the Future" also by Michio Kaku.
Parts of this book were used verbatim in the later one, this is no wonder as we have a long way to go until some of these 'events' come to pass.

In hindsight it seems to me that computer science is the only science that keeps up with the predictions. It's true that major steps have been taken in other sciences but nothing that compares to... Moore's law.

Genetics
Briankiwi
Aug 25, 2013 Briankiwi rated it liked it
If I had looked more closely before grabbing this book on Kindle from my library, I probably wouldn't have read a futuristic book written way back in 1998--but after diving into it, the book warrants reading even today. Helped me make sense of many changes in technology that have been happening outside my sphere of immediate awareness, provided a physicist's perspective on the revolution in genetics, and gave me yet another glimpse into the mysterious world of quantum mechanics. If I have a prob ...more
Darth Fader
Dec 03, 2014 Darth Fader rated it liked it
I think the book would've been infinitely more interesting in 1997 than in 2014. I'm already extremely familiar with Kaku's teachings and predictions from 2004-present, so this book seemed to be very redundant to me.
David
Jun 06, 2015 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this somewhat dated book just because I want to read all of Michio Kaku's books. Anyway, it was a fun and interesting read, which gave me the chance to compare some of the predictions and outlooks from almost 20 years ago (this was published in 1997).

And indeed, it's interesting to see how some projects have fallen out of favor, while some other topics and discoveries have been made that the book didn't foresee.

The scope of the areas of knowledge and research in the book is amazing, altho
Troy Crayson
Feb 12, 2011 Troy Crayson rated it really liked it
Great book. Being 10 years old, its amazing how many of the things he predicts are already commonplace, while others are still far off on the horizon. Most, if not all seem INEVITABLE , not "what if" type stuff. Some of it might not happen for 150+ years, some, will happen within 5. Fascinating.

Kaku is (and is widely considered) one of the best writers (and public figures) talking and writing about reality / science. Unfortunately we are too busy wondering about what a wizard is doing playing w
Taro
Aug 30, 2012 Taro rated it it was amazing
I thought that this book is very interesting and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in hearing theories rather than just facts. In this book, famous physicist Michio Kaku talks about how science as of now has been the stepping stone of life. During the next several years he explains how we would soon be able to take what we have learned about life such as laws of natures or DNA structures and apply it to our everyday need. Michio Kaku's prediction was that we will soon change from "P ...more
Nicol
Oct 08, 2011 Nicol rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
My husband and I have been listening to Michio Kaku since the 1990a. So, even though this title is over ten years old, it's still relevant in its predictions based on current technology and mapping our leaps into advanced science with each passing year. It's about what is possible in the future of science and technology from medical break-throughs to I AM ROBOT androids to space travel. For instance, Kaku told us ten years ago that flat screen televisions mounted on walls were a possibility in o ...more
Stuart
Aug 22, 2013 Stuart rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
A fascinating read for the non-scientist (i.e. Me). Does a great job of explaining the link between quantum theory, computer development and biotechnology. He then projects those theories into the future. Written in 1997 I believe, it is interesting to see that many of the projections he has written of thru 2020 have in fact come true. It gave me a good grounding that will help me better understand these topics when they come up in news or science journals. His style is easy to read and peppered ...more
البهلول أحمد محمد مصطفى
كما قال مؤلف الكتاب من الأفضل استشارة كتاب الخيال لمحاولة استشراف المستقبل بدلا من العلماء
Cassandra Kay Silva
Aug 08, 2011 Cassandra Kay Silva rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
I liked that Kaku spent a good deal of time on DNA and genetic advancements. I find this to be one of my favorite fields of interest, it must be included in visions of the future. Advancement in medicine will completely change our ideas about being human, as innovated research is used to outfit more than just the wold around us. I think he covered a vast amount of topics in a very small number of words which was well met. A fairly broad overview of some of the advancements that we can expect fro ...more
Jay C
Mar 04, 2015 Jay C rated it really liked it
Actually read this about 10 years ago.
Brandon
I have had this on my shelf since it came out and finally got around to reading it. I think it is probably more interesting a decade and a half into the century he was predicting.
Ray
Sep 29, 2014 Ray rated it really liked it
Fascinating book about how quantum physics, computers and DNA will change the world in the 21st century and beyond.
Steven
Jun 30, 2009 Steven rated it it was amazing
Michio Kaku is simply AMAZING! In this book, he is brilliant, entertaining, and understandable! He makes you dream like a boy again, thinking about the future and the capabilities of science and mankind.

This book predicts where science will take us in the near and distant future.

Michio Kaku (one of my favorite people in the world) is a Theoretical Physicist and a Futurist, and one of the founders and leading proponents of the new and exciting string theory.
Katherina
Sep 02, 2012 Katherina rated it it was amazing
I am so happy I read this book. From the first 4 pages I knew that buying this book was worth it.
Even though it was published in 1997, and hence it is a bit outdated, that doesn't spoil the book much. I'd say it is quite amusing because of it, since we can see how well his predictions were made.
The language is perfect for people who aren't as deep into science, and it's very comprehensible.
I gained So much knowledge from this one book!
Jimmy Ng
Oct 02, 2010 Jimmy Ng rated it it was amazing
Nathan
Sep 12, 2007 Nathan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Weapons manufacturers.
Michio Kaku's Visions is a look into the future. It focuses mainly on how the fields of quantum physics, biotechnology and computer science may converge in the future, and the possibilities for science's evolution in the decades to come. A fascinating set of "what if" scenarios that is easy to understand to those of us who don't have degrees in physics or microbiology.

NC
  • Nature's Building Blocks: An A-Z Guide to the Elements
  • Not Even Wrong: The Failure of String Theory and the Search for Unity in Physical Law
  • Warped Passages: Unraveling the Mysteries of the Universe's Hidden Dimensions
  • Dreams of a Final Theory: The Scientist's Search for the Ultimate Laws of Nature
  • In Search of the Multiverse
  • The Mind of God: The Scientific Basis for a Rational World
  • Cycles of Time: An Extraordinary New View of the Universe
  • The 4 Percent Universe: Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and the Race to Discover the Rest of Reality
  • Does God Play Dice?: The New Mathematics of Chaos
  • Conversations with Carl Sagan
  • Before The Beginning
  • Time Travel in Einstein's Universe: The Physical Possibilities of Travel Through Time
  • The Age of Spiritual Machines: When Computers Exceed Human Intelligence
  • The Case for Mars: The Plan to Settle the Red Planet and Why We Must
  • Collider: The Search for the World's Smallest Particles
  • Stephen Hawking's Universe: An Introduction to the Most Remarkable Scientist of Our Time
  • The Inflationary Universe: The Quest for a New Theory of Cosmic Origins
  • Faster Than the Speed of Light: The Story of a Scientific Speculation
(Arabic: ميشيو كاكو
Russian: href="https://www.goodreads.com/author/show... Каку
Dr. Michio Kaku is an American theoretical physicist at the City College of New York , best-selling author, a futurist, and a communicator and popularizer of science. He has written several books about physics and related topics of science.

He has written two New York Times Best Sellers, Physics of the Impossible (2008)
More about Michio Kaku...

“to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on a seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me.” 1 likes
“By the year 2020 or 2030, all this will finally culminate in personalized DNA codes. Gilbert claims, “You’ll be able to go to a drugstore and get your own DNA sequence on a CD, which you can then analyze at home on your Macintosh.” 0 likes