Start by marking “A Thousand Bones (Louis Kincaid, #8)” as Want to Read:
A Thousand Bones (Louis Kincaid, #8)

A Thousand Bones (Louis Kincaid #8)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  759 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews

A woman cop.

A haunting memory....

The only female detective in the Miami PD's Homicide division, Joe Frye has memories that haunt her, and a past that not even her lover, detective Louis Kincaid, truly knows. It began when Joe was an ambitious rookie cop in a small Michigan town called Echo Bay....

The bones found in the woods were the first clue in a string of unima
Published June 26th 2007 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Thousand Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Thousand Bones

Kathrynn
Apr 07, 2008 Kathrynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Isis_FG
Recommended to Kathrynn by: Crystal
Excellent thriller and I could not put this book down. This is the first book I read by P.J. Parrish (two sisters that write under one name) and looks to be part of series based on a police officer named Louis Kincaid. In this book, Louis was in the prologue and epilogue only as Joe Frye told her story to him of horrific events that she was involved in while new to her police career in Michigan--thirteen years earlier (1975).

I laughed at some of the writing, i.e., leaf peepers. Cried when "thin
Cathy
May 13, 2016 Cathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: michigan
great spinoff to the Louis Kincaid series; love rookie Sheriff deputy Joe (Joette) Frye, and the setting in Michigan 1975 was a reminder of how difficult a female officer had it, with limited 1975 technology but could still find clues and solve a difficult case
Best Crime Books & More
Up until I read this book I had never heard of P.J. Parrish. I don't even know how this book made its way to me in the first place. What shocked me is that when I read the information regarding the author I realised that there were two of them. The two authors are sisters, Kristy Montee and Kelly Nichols. Their books have appeared on both the New York Times and USA Today Bestseller lists. They have created a series of books based in a series featuring Louis Kincaid and Joe Frye. The tenth book t ...more
Elyse
Oct 20, 2011 Elyse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not stop reading this book - I've recently been in a reading slump, and have been spending months on the same book, but I read this in two days. There were some small issues I had with it, but overall it was a captivating story that I loved. Not to mention the surprise I got when I read the inside of the back cover and discovered P.J. Parrish is actually two sisters! I never would have guessed it was co-written, and I'm amazed at how well the sisters pooled their talents.
The premise of t
Rachelle
Aug 30, 2009 Rachelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2009-reads
My first and certainly not last book of the series. Very good mystery.
Rhonda
Aug 18, 2010 Rhonda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
First time reading a book by this author and can't wait to read another
Michaela Bare
Jun 03, 2013 Michaela Bare rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is about the first female deputy in a small town, trying to solve multipal gruesome murders cases. This is a very good book, I would recommend it to people who like a good murder mistery.
John
May 04, 2014 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good fast-paced story with characters I could identify with. My second book by these authors, the first being "South of Hell". There was no particular reason for reading in that order it's just how it worked out. I'm glad it happened that way because I feel I have a good intro to the characters.

A Thousand Bones tells the story of Joette Frye, a rookie with a rural sheriff's department in Michigan in 1975. The story is told as a flashback to her lover Louis Kincaid in 1988 Miami. Joe is a woman
Chad Sayban
Sep 24, 2009 Chad Sayban rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sister team of Kristy Montee and Kelly Nichols (who write under the pen name of P.J. Parrish) bring us the eighth installment of their bestselling Louis Kincaid detective series. However, unlike the previous installments, this one focuses on the past life of his lover and fellow Miami Homicide detective Joe Frye. The haunting memories of an investigation in a small northern Michigan town as a rookie cop. The memories of an investigation that changed her forever.

A Thousand Bones begins with a
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
Joe Frye, the only femaile deteective in the Miami PD's Homicide Division, has a secret. Not even her lover, Detective louis Kincaid, knows of the events in Joes past which still haunt her to this day. It all began eleven years ago when Joe was an ambitious rookie cop in a small Michigan town called Echo Bay...
The bones found in the woods of Echo Bay were the first clue to a sting of unimaginably brutal murders of young women. Plunged into a heated inquiry to find a dangerous predator, and caugh
Stephanie Hall
Jul 18, 2012 Stephanie Hall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first P.J. Parrish book and I have already added their (sister writing team) books to my to-read list!

Human bones are discovered in the quiet town of Echo Bay, Michigan in 1975. With a police force of 7, the state police are called in to assist with the investigation. Rookie, Joe(tte) Frye, is the only female in the male dominated force in Echo Bay and is the central character of the story. She follows her instincts and quickly discovers these bones belong to multiple victims rather than just
Vickie Paye
Sep 21, 2016 Vickie Paye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haven't read a thriller like this in awhile so it was a nice change! Once I got further into the book, I had a hard time putting it down. At one point I thought the killer might be one of the police officers that Joe Frye worked with. Was also disappointed at how the male officers treated her throughout the book with the exception of a few. Wondering in reality if this is still true today that females aren't considered "real cops"....
Loved how the story was set in northern Michigan. The beauty o
Nicole Gozdek
Feb 20, 2013 Nicole Gozdek rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: krimi
Zunächst einmal: Der Titel "Das Gebeinhaus" ist total irreführend. Es gibt im Buch kein Haus aus Knochen oder ein Haus, in dem sich Knochen befinden. Leider weckt der Titel dadurch beim Lesen falsche Erwartungen. Ich habe bis kurz vorm Ende gedacht, dass da noch etwas kommen muss, da das Versprechen des Titels nicht erfüllt wurde. Leider Fehlanzeige.
"Das Gebeinhaus" ist nicht schlecht geschrieben und erzählt einen der ersten Fälle einer jungen Polizistin in der 70er Jahren, als die ersten Frauen
Shiela
The discovery of human bones belonging to more than one victim rocks the quiet County of Leelanau, Michigan, initiating the sheriff’s department to conduct a high profile investigation.
In her rookie year, Joe(tte) Frye, the only woman in the male dominated world of policing, must prove her abilities and earn her place among her peers. What follows is an unorthodox investigation with a very unpredictable end.

I have discovered a new author. Apparently, P.J Parrish writes a mystery/suspense/thril
Michelle
copyright: 2007
isbn: 1-4165-2587-4

A woman cop.
A haunting memory....

The bones found in the woods were the first clue in a string of unimaginably brutal murders of young women. Plunged into
Anne Holcomb
Feb 25, 2008 Anne Holcomb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Suspense fans, mystery fans, folks who like books set in Michigan
A Thousand Bones is a good choice for mystery/suspense fans and fans of books set in Michigan. The story follows a rookie policewoman whose first year on the job is affected by the discovery of serial-murder remains. The police department is located on the usually-sleepy Leelanau Peninsula in Northern lower Michigan, and the discovery of the bodies of several young women throws the police department and the region into turmoil. The book culminates in two intense showdowns with the murderer. It's ...more
Sabrina Lambeth
Sep 25, 2012 Sabrina Lambeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of the first female homicide detective in Miami telling her story of her first major crime she worked when she was a rookie in the small Michigan town Echo Bay. When they spent months finding and searching for the thousands of bones from missing girl who were attacked by a mad man who thought he was a Wendago which was a native American legend from the local area. Finally deputy Frye catches up with the kill he finds out that she is his perfect opponent to break his "curse".
Sara
Mar 05, 2008 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found a copy of this book at work and read it in 3 days (I snuck it home with me one night). It was really cheesey, but I got completely sucked into it. There are a couple really random & awkward "sex scenes" that I personally could've done without.

It seemed like a "Silence of the Lambs" knockoff written for lonely housewives desperate for a little shot of feminism in their weekly reading.

Having said that, I read this book faster than any other book I've ever read (of which I'm more than
Sezín Koehler
PJ Parrish is a fantastic crime writer! My goodness. I've read another one of hers, SOUTH OF HELL, and this one was equally excellent. She finds a way to bring in American issues into each of the stories, and it's very cleverly done. This one had a Native American element that of course piqued my interest when it came up halfway through the story, and the tale was quite beautifully executed.

I am definitely on the lookout for more of her stuff, and if you're into mysteries and crime novels, Ms P
Monica
Jun 08, 2009 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
If you have read the Louis Kinkaid books, I think you'll like this new character. If you haven't read the Louis Kinkaid books, give them a try as well. This book provides more about Louis's girl friend Joe Frye, and her life before she moved to Florida. Good character development and good story. PJ Parrish is the pseudonym for two sisters. Louis is an African-American private investigator, formerly a police officer. He's adopted and conflicted and his story starts in the 1970's. His girl friend ...more
Kay
May 08, 2010 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This novel takes Joe back years to her Michigan years and how she started out in law enforcement. It's great background to acquaint the reader with her past.
One mistake that bothered me --- when looking for a record of whether the suspect owned property in the county, they actually went to the newspaper and went through old papers. Why didn't they take a ride to the courthouse and check the indexes?
George Olson
I recommend 1000 Bones by P J Parrish. Joe Frye (22 yr old female) detective in Echo Bay (real name of town is Leland, all other town names are actual). Human bones are found in the woods and it goes from there. My Michigan home is 20 miles from Leland in Glen Arbor. I sits next to the Sleeping Bear National Park. I particularly enjoyed the book because I could picture the surroundings, but it is an excellent mystery.
Margarette
Aug 20, 2008 Margarette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bones found in the woods were the first clue in a string of unimaginably brutal murders of young women. Plunged into a heated investigation -- and caught between the dictates of a reluctant local sheriff and the state police -- Joe Frye a female dective, soon uncovers the chilling truth: In the dead of winter in the Michigan woods, she must face down a predator who has chosen her as a worthy opponent -- or become his next victim.
Dee
Dec 08, 2011 Dee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"A Thousand Bones" by P.J. Parrish, I really enjoyed this book! It was a story of a female cop who had a hard time making a place for herself in a mans world. She had help from a couple of people who believed in her.Bones are being found in the woods and girls are missing! The townspeople are woundering whats going to happing next!There are a lot of twist and turns until it is hard to put the book down!
Jen
Jan 10, 2012 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I could not get into this book at all. I found it slow, boring and nearly unreadable. The writing style was okay but just didn't hold my interest. The jacket summary of the book was more interesting to me than the book itself. I finished it but not with much pleasure. I just found it boring and slow.
Karen
Dec 15, 2007 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans (police procedurals)
The book is set in Michigan, in an area I know pretty well, and the authors did a good job of setting the mood and portraying the area (before the vineyards became so prevalent). Even though the town is fictional, it is loosely based on the Leland area, down to some of the restaurants, beaches, etc.
Alex
Mar 13, 2016 Alex rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The writing style was okay, and I liked some of the suspense, but I couldn't get past the blatant ignorance about Native American people. How can you write a book that is so clearly taking something from their culture and then describe them as "Indians" the whole book. The authors should have researched better.
Trace
Oct 09, 2012 Trace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book after the first hundred or so pages it picked up speed. I enjoyed learning a little bit about Indian folklore that is present throughout the book. All in all a solid read. Not a lot of over the top gore and pretty good character development. I would def read another book by this author who are actually two sisters who wrote it!
Nov 08, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put this book down. I thought i was in a slump, but this book brought me out of it.

This story centers around Joette, Louis Kincaids girlfriend, and takes place back in Michigan. The story is really grizzly, but well written and the character of Joette is really brought to life. I was on the fence about her in the previous two books. I am not anymore.
Judy
Dec 28, 2013 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
P.J. Parrish's books are about either Florida or Michigan, as the "author" consists of two sisters who live in these respective states. This one fills in some history about the main characters and takes place in the 1970's in Michigan. I love "her" books.
  • The Killing Art (Kate McKinnon, #3)
  • Body Count (Sophie Anderson,  #1)
  • Sullivan's Justice (Carolyn Sullivan, #2)
  • When Evil Came to Good Hart
  • Children of Wrath (Willi Kraus, #2)
  • Journal: The Short Life and Mysterious Death of Amy Zoe Mason
  • What Never Happens
  • Murder in Mykonos (Andreas Kaldis, #1)
  • On the Ropes (The Duffy Dombrowski Mysteries, #1)
  • Until Dark (FBI #3; John Mancini #2)
  • Marked Man (Victor Carl, #6)
  • The Survivor (Jacob Striker, #1)
  • Death Rides Again (Jocelyn Shore #3)
  • Q Road
  • The Piper's Sons
  • Shadow of the Wolf Tree (Woods Cop, #7)
  • Horse's Arse
  • West of Western (Chicago Stories, #1)
P.J. Parrish is the New York Times bestselling author of ten Louis Kincaid and Joe Frye thrillers. The author is actually two sisters, Kristy Montee and Kelly Nichols. Their books have appeared on both the New York Times and USA Today best seller lists. The series has garnered 11 major crime-fiction awards, and an Edgar® nomination. Parrish has won two Shamus awards, one Anthony and one Internatio ...more
More about P.J. Parrish...

Louis Kincaid (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Dark Of The Moon (Louis Kincaid, #1)
  • Dead Of Winter (Louis Kincaid, #2)
  • Paint It Black (Louis Kincaid, #3)
  • Thicker Than Water (Louis Kincaid, #4)
  • Island Of Bones (Louis Kincaid, #5)
  • A Killing Rain (Louis Kincaid, #6)
  • An Unquiet Grave (Louis Kincaid, #7)
  • South of Hell (Louis Kincaid, #9)
  • The Little Death (Louis Kincaid, #10)
  • Heart of Ice (Louis Kincaid, #11)