Start by marking “Fat Chance: Losing the Weight, Gaining My Worth” as Want to Read:
Fat Chance: Losing the Weight, Gaining My Worth

Fat Chance: Losing the Weight, Gaining My Worth

Julie Hadden, one of the most successful and memorable contestant's from NBC's "The Biggest Lower," struggled with her self-worth--and her size--for years. At age 34, she found herself at a crossroads: would she settle for staying "big" te rest of her life, or would she insist on making big changes instead. Reality-TV fans know which path Julie chose that day. When she ste ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by GuidepostsBooks (first published December 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Fat Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fat Chance

Kirsten Eisele
The way I feel about this book is kind of how I feel about The Biggest Loser in general - a bit contrived and cheesy, but with some truly inspirational truths woven throughout.

This wasn't the best-written book I've ever read, and plenty of cheesiness, but there were some parts that really resonated with me. I loved the focus that the author had on how she had to realize she was truly worthy in God's eyes and recognize her own worth before she could get healthy and lose weight.

"Acceptance, abunda
Jul 06, 2013 Marcia rated it it was amazing
Since I am a big fan of The Biggest Loser show and I am trying to lose weight as well...I thought this sounded interesting. I read the Ali Vincent book and met Pete Thomas a few years ago at a library conference.

Julie told how she had gained the weight and how it hindered her being able to be there 100% for her family and reach her goals. She talked about when you lose weight it is not just about the physical weight, but there is also a mental weight that has to be released. I could relate her w
Jan 10, 2015 Vivian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fairly typical weight loss story, with the twist of doing it through participation in "The Biggest Loser" reality TV show. She emphasizes her faith in God, as a born-again Christian, which was not a draw for me, but might be for other people. Still looking for the story which will motivate me!
Allegra Green
Jul 25, 2014 Allegra Green rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of the Biggest Loser it was interesting to see the "behind the scenes" and hear what it's really like to be on the show, because you KNOW you're not getting the whole story when you watch the TV show. There have been conflicting reports from past contestants in the news recently so it's nice to hear this show actually has helped some people. It was also interesting to hear the experiences of someone who was overweight and actually decided to change AND stick to the change. Would be an i ...more
Not the best book, I'm afraid. Julie Hadden identifies as a motivational speaker but I cannot imagine listening to her drone on and on about God and Jillian, which, I imagine, based on this book, that she would do. Make no mistake, I am a fan of Jillian Michaels but there is no new light shed on Jillian's techniques, philosophies, or workouts here. If you've seen even one episode of the Biggest Loser show, you've seen what Julie blathers on about here. Also, I am a good Catholic, but Julie's ref ...more
Marijke Dyke
Jul 12, 2014 Marijke Dyke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hard-copy
Really enjoyed reading about Julie's journey especially her walk with God. She seemed honest and sincere.
Gin Tadvick
Aug 01, 2014 Gin Tadvick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not really a fan of "The Biggest Loser" TV show but was encouraged to read this book by a friend. I find it fitting that while I am working on "reducing my footprint" (so to speak), that I would actually read this book. I did like Julie's style of telling her weight loss story and it has really helped me to look at the questions that I have been avoiding on my weight loss journey. The biggest - "Am I really worthy of spending this time and money on just me?" Well, I am worthy and I am thankful t ...more
Sep 24, 2014 Kirstin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, food
This one made such a small impression on me that despite having just read it I had to think for a minute when I saw it on my list to add to goodreads before I could remember which book it was. It probably didn’t help that since I didn’t watch Julie Hadden’s season of Biggest Loser I didn’t have a strong tie to her. I found it to be pretty run of the mill inspirational stuff without a lot of new information. Of course when it comes to weight loss that is pretty much what it should be. Anybody who ...more
Mar 07, 2014 Bonita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diet-health
Inspiring book. It makes me want to get busy on my next workout!
Kim Moor
Feb 08, 2014 Kim Moor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommend this book!!!!!
Jul 02, 2010 Kristin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
Julie is from Jacksonville and she spoke at our women's Christmas dinner right about the time this book came out. She is a delightful woman and speaker! I bet she is a great friend! It was so fun to hear her stories about her experience on The Biggest Loser as well as stories about her life and her faith in Jesus. She has good exercise and recipe suggestions in the back of the book.
Tara Casper
Jan 18, 2010 Tara Casper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was DELIGHTFUL!! I've watched the Biggest Loser ever since it first aired. I remember Julie Hadden on Biggest Loser and so I decided to pick up the book. Imagine my surprise to find that Julie is a lover of Jesus and her book is filled with her faith journey while on the Biggest Loser. The book is inspiring, uplifting and will add much joy to your life!!!
Oct 30, 2011 Jane rated it really liked it
I read Ali Vincent's book, too, and this one was meatier; more behind-the-scenes information, more stories about her motivation and how it has changed her life.

The second half starts to drag and feels somewhat repetitive, and I could see the latter chapters being difficult to relate to for people who are not religious.
Dec 13, 2011 Sheila rated it really liked it
In some ways I wanted to rate this book 3 stars, but I ended up giving it 4 stars, just because of the motivational factor. Julie's story is so inspiring and she said things I could relate to. So if you are looking to read a story of someone who overcame odds and battled her weight and won, you will enjoy reading Fat Chance.
Dec 29, 2010 Suzanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Suzanne by: Cinti Public Library
I did not see the season of TBL with Julie Hadden, but would like to watch it should it ever become available. I generally don't like books that get preachy with God and Bible quotes, but I ended up being okay with Julie's prose as she seems sincere and genuine. Inspirational although nothing really new in how to lose weight.
Amy Bell
I enjoyed this book, however it was kind of choppy. I did watch the season of the Biggest Loser that Julie was in so it helped to fill in some of the blanks. I'm also happy that the experience brought her closer to God. It was inspirational to read about her struggles before, during and after.
Sep 08, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christians, women, and moms
This book, by a Big Loser, was very encouraging. It was practical and spiritual. I got to know the real person behind the TV show. And I enjoyed getting behind the scenes info from the TV show. There are some great exercises in the back, for real life people, specifically moms.
Jun 12, 2010 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
I randomly picked this up at the library. I'll admit I wasn't expecting much, but I really did enjoy it. A quick read with a great message. I especially enjoyed her reflections on faith as well as telling her weight loss journey.
Lindsey Keske
Apr 15, 2012 Lindsey Keske rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful inside look into what really happens on the Biggest Loser. I personally loved the fact that it is also based on her faith. The ending however was very sudden like there was another chapter missing. Very quick read.
Aug 21, 2011 Bridget rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very nice. It was fun to get an insider view of Biggest Loser. She didn't tell me anything I don't already know about what I'm SUPPOSED to do for weight loss, but I'm always looking for inspiration to get off my behind!
Jun 10, 2010 Carla rated it really liked it
She's adorable, and this was a fun read. It had a lot of very interesting "behind the scenes" information about the show. I am a fan of the show, so that made it even better.
Sep 20, 2010 Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Great book. I love Biggest Loser and Julie discussed her experience on the show as well as the rest of her life. Very interesting and motivating.
Jun 05, 2013 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed reading this. Enjoyed the background of getting chosen for the Biggest Loser and her sharing her experiences with the reader.
Ann Marie
Apr 18, 2014 Ann Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I am a BIG Biggest Loser fan. It was nice to hear what they really go through.
Mar 21, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Enjoyed all the Biggest Loser "insider tips" and stories, and found Julie's story both inspirational and challenging.
Oct 20, 2013 Monique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
Quick read with great take-aways. Very conversational with exercise & food plans in the back.
May 12, 2013 HollieLikesBooks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
When your best friend writes a book I feel compelled to give it 5 stars. Because she's awesome:)
Jul 11, 2011 Teresa added it
Decided not to finish it.
Jen Wetzel
May 21, 2013 Jen Wetzel rated it liked it
Stacy marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2016
  • I Can't Believe It's Not Fattening!: Over 150 Ridiculously Easy Recipes for the Super Busy
  • Most Effective Natural Cures on Earth: The Surprising Unbiased Truth about What Treatments Work and Why
  • The UltraMetabolism Cookbook: 200 Delicious Recipes that Will Turn on Your Fat-Burning DNA
  • Coach Yourself Thin: Five Steps to Retrain Your Mind, Reclaim Your Power, and Lose the Weight for Good
  • Beat Sugar Addiction Now!
  • The Perfect 10 Diet
  • The Master Your Metabolism Cookbook
  • Knockout: Interviews with Doctors Who Are Curing Cancer and How To Prevent Getting it in the First Place
  • The Belly Fat Cure: No Dieting with the NEW Sugar/Carb Approved Foods
  • The Fat Girl's Guide to Life
  • The Self-Compassion Diet: A Step-By-Step Program to Lose Weight with Loving-Kindness
  • The God of All Comfort
  • Are You Tired and Wired?: Your Proven 30-Day Program for Overcoming Adrenal Fatigue and Feeling Fantastic Again
  • Eating the Moment: 141 Mindful Practices to Overcome Overeating One Meal at a Time
  • Death by Pad Thai: And Other Unforgettable Meals
  • Working It Out: A Journey of Love, Loss, and Hope
  • How to Work for an Idiot: Survive & Thrive Without Killing Your Boss
  • Cook Yourself Thin Faster: Have Your Cake and Eat It Too with Over 75 New Recipes You Can Make in a Flash!