Start by marking “Whiskey and Philosophy: A Small Batch of Spirited Ideas” as Want to Read:
Whiskey and Philosophy: A Small Batch of Spirited Ideas

Whiskey and Philosophy: A Small Batch of Spirited Ideas

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Thoughtful essays on the history, significance, and pleasures of whiskey Everyone becomes a philosopher with a drink in hand, but "Whiskey & Philosophy" takes this natural pairing to a new level. It explores a range of philosophical topics related to whiskey through engaging reflections written by philosophers, whiskey writers, and others.

You will learn things that are
Published December 15th 2009 by John Wiley & Sons (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Whiskey and Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whiskey and Philosophy

Steven Peterson
At the outset, this book captures one's interest. In the opening pages, we learn that even the spelling of the subject matter of this book is an issue (At one point, the editors note that they had tho0ught of calling the book "Whisk(e)y & Philosophy" to account for that; they were talked out of doing this, though). First, let me confess. I am not much of a whisky drinker. I once wrote a review in a DK volume on the subject, and--out of curiosity--ended up investing in a bottle of Glenfiddich ...more
My review from

The new book Whiskey and Philosophy: A Small Batch of Spirited Ideas is fun, fun, fun, if you're a giant whiskey nerd.

I suppose I'm an equal-opportunity spirits nerd, so I quite enjoyed the book. There is an entire section called "The Metaphysics and Epistemology of Whiskey" and what's not to like about that? The other sections of the book are The History and Culture of Whiskey, the Beauty and Experience of Whiskey, Ethics and Whiskey, and Whiskey: A Sense of Place.
Mark Heywood
I took my time reading this as it is a collection of mostly fabulous stories. It is hard to provide a single rating, so my 4 star is really an average. There were definite 5 star stories and a few 3 star, but overall I enjoyed the book and would definitely recommend it to those with an interest to expand their knowledge of scotch history, culture, business and how to appreciate it more.
Essay collection about whiskey. At times interesting, dry, whimsical or pedantic. More than just what makes good whiskey. A set of different of perspectives for sure.
Craig is currently reading it
Oct 10, 2015
Trey Smith
Trey Smith is currently reading it
Oct 01, 2015
Andric is currently reading it
Aug 02, 2015
Farouk Adil
Farouk Adil marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Christa marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Jonathan is currently reading it
Jun 16, 2015
Brittany marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Steven marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Andrew marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Ben Bradley
Ben Bradley is currently reading it
Dec 31, 2014
Jeremy Hinegardner
Jeremy Hinegardner is currently reading it
Nov 24, 2014
Philby added it
Dec 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

“Hirsch is for weddings and Lagavulin is for divorces. Hirsch is as upbeat and happy as Lagavulin is dark and brooding.” 1 likes