Start by marking “Whiskey and Philosophy: A Small Batch of Spirited Ideas” as Want to Read:
Whiskey and Philosophy: A Small Batch of Spirited Ideas

Whiskey and Philosophy: A Small Batch of Spirited Ideas

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  51 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Thoughtful essays on the history, significance, and pleasures of whiskey Everyone becomes a philosopher with a drink in hand, but "Whiskey & Philosophy" takes this natural pairing to a new level. It explores a range of philosophical topics related to whiskey through engaging reflections written by philosophers, whiskey writers, and others.

You will learn things that are
Published December 15th 2009 by John Wiley & Sons (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Whiskey and Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whiskey and Philosophy

Steven Peterson
Dec 20, 2009 Steven Peterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the outset, this book captures one's interest. In the opening pages, we learn that even the spelling of the subject matter of this book is an issue (At one point, the editors note that they had tho0ught of calling the book "Whisk(e)y & Philosophy" to account for that; they were talked out of doing this, though). First, let me confess. I am not much of a whisky drinker. I once wrote a review in a DK volume on the subject, and--out of curiosity--ended up investing in a bottle of Glenfiddich ...more
Camper
Nov 17, 2009 Camper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My review from Alcademics.com:

The new book Whiskey and Philosophy: A Small Batch of Spirited Ideas is fun, fun, fun, if you're a giant whiskey nerd.

I suppose I'm an equal-opportunity spirits nerd, so I quite enjoyed the book. There is an entire section called "The Metaphysics and Epistemology of Whiskey" and what's not to like about that? The other sections of the book are The History and Culture of Whiskey, the Beauty and Experience of Whiskey, Ethics and Whiskey, and Whiskey: A Sense of Place.
Mark Heywood
Oct 04, 2014 Mark Heywood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, ebook
I took my time reading this as it is a collection of mostly fabulous stories. It is hard to provide a single rating, so my 4 star is really an average. There were definite 5 star stories and a few 3 star, but overall I enjoyed the book and would definitely recommend it to those with an interest to expand their knowledge of scotch history, culture, business and how to appreciate it more.
Patrick
Essay collection about whiskey. At times interesting, dry, whimsical or pedantic. More than just what makes good whiskey. A set of different of perspectives for sure.
Jason Hawkins
Jason Hawkins marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Katherine Simmons
Katherine Simmons marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Dwayne Mchottie
Dwayne Mchottie marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Frank Spencer
Frank Spencer marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Christopher
Christopher rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Dougie
Dougie marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
JOHN-MICHAEL KUCZYNSKI
JOHN-MICHAEL KUCZYNSKI rated it did not like it
May 17, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Casey Sheridan
Casey Sheridan marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Sidney
Sidney marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Ryan Phillips
Ryan Phillips marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Chris Fogarty
Chris Fogarty marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Tagore Subramaniam
Tagore Subramaniam rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2015
Benny Vandenberghe
Benny Vandenberghe is currently reading it
Dec 10, 2015
Blake Shepard
Blake Shepard rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2015
Todd Lucier
Todd Lucier rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2015
Jamie
Jamie rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2015
Craig
Craig rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Trey Smith
Trey Smith is currently reading it
Oct 01, 2015
Ohpooryorick
Ohpooryorick rated it did not like it
Aug 26, 2015
Courtney
Courtney rated it it was ok
Aug 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

“Hirsch is for weddings and Lagavulin is for divorces. Hirsch is as upbeat and happy as Lagavulin is dark and brooding.” 1 likes