The Marriage Wager (The Matchmakers #1)

The Marriage Wager (Matchmakers #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,500 ratings  ·  59 reviews
No longer in the first blush of youth and without a marriage portion, Miss Constance Woodley could scarcely imagine why one of the leading lights of London society should take an interest in the likes of "her." But under her benefactor's guiding hand she was transformed into a captivating creature who caught the eye of the handsome, charming and ever-so-slightly notorious...more
Published September 1st 2007 by HQN (first published January 1st 2007)

Isis FG
2.5/5

I have to admit that I was not impressed with this book, at all. It was slow and rather dull. But the biggest flaw, for me, was the fact that it was told almost entirely from the heroine's POV, with a very small handful of scenes told from Francesca's perspective (secondary character, and the Matchmaker). There wasn't even a hint of anything from Dominic's side. It left the story very one-sided and when I finished, I felt like I hardly knew Dominic at all, only what Constance saw and what o...more
Ally72
I really, really, really wanted to like this book. The idea of the series appealed to me and I was looking forward to reading the first book in it. The book started out well, but there really wasn't much development between the hero and heroine in the story. I was over half-way done with the book and the two lead characters had only had a few brief (very brief) conversations. Overall, the story took a long time to develop and I just felt it didn't work. I have the other books in the series in my...more
Juliana
Had such potential but the narrative completely ruined it for me - we *never* hear the hero's perspective!

The Marriage Wager is the first in Candace Camp's Matchmaker Series and I wish I could give it a higher rating, but I just cannot bring myself to. As others have remarked there was nothing really unusual or innovative about this book, but it would have been an enjoyable and sweet read if it hadn't been for one hugely annoying thing that I could *not* get over: we never hear Dominic's thought...more
Brianne
It may be due to my increasingly spinster-like age, but it turns out that the aging and unweddable heroine is one of my favorite romance tropes. I read the blurb on the back and this book went into the basket without a second thought.

I had to put this one down at one point, and it took me a really long time to get back to it. I was afraid that a misunderstanding (or some devious actions by disapproving parents, however you'd like to put it) would destroy what Constance and Dominic had built --...more
Valerie Waters
Aww another sweet romance. Loved the characters in this book! And I loved the story. However. There were a few parts I had to skip. I hate when detailed bedroom scenes get thrown in more then half way through the book! Seriously wish books had ratings!!
Emily
You know that Romances are one guilty pleasure. Sometimes it is nice to take a break between my usual novels. My sister recommended this book to me, and honestly I could not put it down. You know those books you just have to keep reading even though it's past midnight just to see what happens? and before you know it's 2am and you've finished the book. Good book. Best part? This is only the 1st book in the Matchmacker series. I'm going to find the next one today at one of the libraries in the val...more
Rose
Quotes/Storyline I liked: (view spoiler)...more
Gerrie
I really like Candace Camp. She's a very accomplished and talented writer, and always enjoyable to read. I really wanted to like this book, and would give it 3 ½ stars if that rating was available. It had a lot of good things going for it, and I was sorry not to be able to give it a higher rating. Since so many other readers have done an excellent job of outlining the plot, I won't go into it in my review.

What I really liked about the book had all the hallmarks of a good read by this author. Fir...more
cecilia
I quite enjoyed learning more about Francesca and watching her matchmaking at work. I had been a little sad to see that there is no hint of her romance with Sinclair, past or present, although one does wonder at the very end when Francesca wins the bet (c'mon, not really a spoiler, is it? She is the matchmaker after all). It is also fun to see Francesca wield her power as a high-ranked lady to outwit Constance's stubborn aunt who is husband-hunting for her daughters and Dominic's stubborn admire...more
Débora
Este é o primeiro livro que comecei a ler para a Maratona de Banca, e que me foi gentilmente cedido pela Flávia do Clube do Livro. (Muito obrigada =) Primeiramente, quero dizer que este livro foi uma boa experiência, e se não me surpreendeu, ao menos cumpriu o seu papel: de divertir e entreter. Me tirar de leituras tão sisudas (não tenha lido tão sisudamente nos últimos meses, amém!).
Mas deixando de conversa fiada, e indo direto aos finalmentes. O primeiro livro da série Cupidos (Matchmakers no...more
Yukino
CENERENTOLA

Constance è una ragazza che per accudire suo padre ammalato ha dovuto rinunciare ad una proposta di matrimonio. Il padre muore e i suoi averi li ereditano degli zii che lasciano vivere Costance in casa loro ma come servetta. Vi ricorda qualcosa?

un giorno arriva il momento del debutto delle due cugine e constance convinta dalla zia a rassegnarsi ad essere zitella fa da chaperon.

Mentre sono ad un ricevimento a Londra durante la Stagione viene vista da due conti Lady Francesca Houghstone...more
Becky
The first in the Matchmakers series has a definite Cinderella-like flavor. Constance Woodley, on the shelf at twenty-nine, is in London for the first time only to act as a companion to her two spoiled younger cousins. Her aunt displays traditional "evil stepmother" tendencies, pressuring Constance to dress in drab, matronly clothing and ensuring that she is so busy tending to her daughters that she has no time to attempt to carve out a life for hersefl. Enter Lady Francesca Haughston, Constance'...more
Virginia
Back in the day, when I was retired and I spent most of a year lying on my parents couch read garbage bags full of romance novels that a neighbor gave me, I became somewhat of an expert on the genre.

I have a few authors that I really really like, and I buy their books as soon as they come out in paperback, and then I read them 50 million times over the course of the next few years.

Candace Camp has the potential to become a favorite author of mine, but she isn't there yet. I enjoyed the heroine o...more
Anki
Jacqueline
Feb 21, 2009 Jacqueline rated it 1 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Eh...really no one- the book didn't mark high in my opinion.
Recommended to Jacqueline by: No one; discovered it on my own
Hmm...

Okay, overall I wasn't impressed. I'm not sure if the reasoning is simply because it's been so long since I've perused a Camp novel, or if this plot just didn't speak to me.

Either way, one huge mark against The Marriage Wager was the fact that Camp did not delve into the hero's (Dominic) perspective. Sticking primarily to Constance's and Dominic's sister, Francesca's, perspective I felt the story was severaly lacking.

In the general sense, the plot was far too simple. Girl is invisable. Gi...more
Linda
This is my first exposure to this author and I'm anxious to finish this trilogy. A wager on matchmaking ability by one pair of friends leads to an unexpected pairing from a poor young woman and a noble who needs to make a wealthy match to shore up his the failing estate he will inherit.

The ending is very satisfying and not the usual doings you expect in a book that draws heavily on the usual ton doings. No magic fix just love and hard work lie ahead for the happy couple. You'll like the main cha...more
Em!ly
Tytti
Well, I bought this on the flea market today and it cost only one euro, so hopefully it's good and worth the price =)

This was very harlequin kind of book "I love him so much, but I can't let him marry me...and son on". It was worth the euro, but that's about it. It was very quick read... About the main characters, I liked their names: Constance and Dominic... and I liked the fact that Constance did have some backbone, even though in the end she became a little whiny... Everything ends happily, o...more
Angela
A good book. Nothing really stood out as amazing for me--in a positive nor negative way. I did like the fact that Francesca comes clean frankly that she noticed her due to the bet; this way a real friendship can grow between the girls without dramatics at the end over a betrayal. I also was pleasantly surprised by glimpses of hidden depth in the novel. The dark secret could have been anything but it was something that really was dark. If I owned it, it definitely would be a keeper.
Jess
I think I have found another historical Romance (HR) writer that I enjoy! Sometimes when I read HR books I can't really get into the story because I become bogged down with some of the historical aspects. I just become distracted, but in this case everything seemed to blend really well together. It was a fast paced story that didn't leave me bored. I think her books are comparable to Lisa Kleypas HR books. If you like Kleypas, I think you will enjoy Camp's books.
Kikkasole
Per alcuni aspetti mi ha fatto un pò pensare a Cenerentola. (Costance bella giovane senza dote, obbligata dalla zia e dalle cugine carogne a stare dietro le quinte. Con Lady Francesca nei panni della madrina fata ....e altri particolari così XD)

Comunque una storia gradevole, disimpegnata,buona in questa estate rovente, romantica, con qualche spruzzata di carognaggine al momento giusto. Dove l'amore Trionfa ed i cattivi se la prendono in saccoccia!
Angie
This is an enjoyable but ultimately forgettable historical romance (like many are). The hero and heroine fell in love and get engaged in basically a week's time. But despite the implausible story, the characters are likeable and the story is fast paced and it fills the fluffy space of cotton candy - sweet but not nutritious.
Carmen
I wasn't sure if I would like this book, as it's not the type of book I normally read. But I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't mind reading the rest in the series, although to be honest, I probably won't seek them out. This book is probably more of a 3 3/4 instead of a 4 star, but I've been giving out a lot of 3s lately and this book was better than that, so I went with 4.
Julia
I read this book because I loved The Courtship Dance, the fourth book in the Matchmaker Series. The main character, Constance, was a likable wallflower turned socialite because of a wager between Francesca and the Duke of Rochford. Constance is swept off her feet by Francesca's brother Dominic! It's lovable, I read it in one day. It's great to see Francesca and Sinclair interact and know the hidden tensions between them.
Bobs (Reader Unbound)
Well, it is a cute book. Easy to read, funny at some parts, with no great twist and turns. The characters are likeabe, thought I prefer to see them grow up and change throughout the book and that is not the case. Still I am not sorry I bought it.
I recommend it to all who have time to kill and nothing to do ! ;]
Have a nice time reading !
Megan
I've been meaning to check out this author for ages, and I was very pleased by this first encounter with her writing. The story and characters were most engaging, although stylistically there is a little room for improvement...nevertheless, I'm glad I have the next two volumes in the series lined up ready to go :D
Mary Vilarino

The outline of the plot was certainly intriguing and promised this reader a good story. Certainly the first few chapters did not dissapoint. Unfortunately from then on it was a downward slide to a dull read. Dissapointing and I'm hoping the next book in this series does not let me down.
Tabetha Waite
Excellent start to a series by a wonderful author. While this is the usual, but interesting story of a single woman on the hunt for a husband, it is the underlying tones of attraction between the matchmaker herself (Francesca) and her wagers with the Duke of Rocheford that I found most compelling.
Kittygabe
Aug 15, 2010 Kittygabe added it
Shelves: own
Just love Candace Camp. She doesn´t mistake once!

this one was even a little different because Dom, you can see from the start how good he is and how in love he is for Constance. I thought that she would be more in trouble with her family, but she put them at their place!
easy read!
puppitypup
Romance Genre Just finished the book and can't wipe the smile from my face! Although I enjoy romance, I can't stand silly bickering. And I am happy to say that there was no silly bickering in this Cinderella tale. I will definitely be reading more from this author.
  • The Wicked Games of a Gentleman (Boscastle, #4)
  • A Midsummer Night's Sin (Blackthorn Brothers #2)
  • As Luck Would Have It (Providence, #1)
  • Merely Married
  • Her Notorious Viscount (Stoneworth, #1)
  • The Lady Forfeits (Copeland Sisters, #2)
  • Let It Be Love (Effingtons, #11)
  • Red Roses Mean Love
  • A Lady's Guide to Improper Behavior (Adventurers’ Club #2)
  • After the Abduction (Swanlea Spinsters, #3)
  • The Duke Diaries (Royal Entourage, #3)
  • Three Little Secrets (MacLachlan Family, #4)
  • A Groom of One's Own (The Writing Girls, #1)
  • The Wedding of the Century & Other Stories
Candace Camp is the New York Times bestselling author of over sixty books.

Her first novel, *Bonds of Love*, was published by Jove Publishing in 1978, under the pseudonym Lisa Gregory. Two pseudonyms (Kristin James and Sharon Stephens)and many books later, Candace writes under her own name Candace Camp and still loves creating stories.

Candace lives in Austin, Texas, with her husband and is the mot...more
More about Candace Camp...
The Courtship Dance (The Matchmakers #4) The Bridal Quest (The Matchmakers #2) Impulse The Wedding Challenge (The Matchmakers #3) A Winter Scandal (St. Dwynwen, #1)