Start by marking “The Marriage Wager (The Matchmaker #1)” as Want to Read:
The Marriage Wager (The Matchmaker #1)

The Marriage Wager (The Matchmaker #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  2,006 ratings  ·  74 reviews
No longer in the first blush of youth and without a marriage portion, Miss Constance Woodley could scarcely imagine why one of the leading lights of London society should take an interest in the likes of "her." But under her benefactor's guiding hand she was transformed into a captivating creature who caught the eye of the handsome, charming and ever-so-slightly notorious ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by HQN

To ask other readers questions about The Marriage Wager, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marriage Wager

jenjn79
2.5/5

I have to admit that I was not impressed with this book, at all. It was slow and rather dull. But the biggest flaw, for me, was the fact that it was told almost entirely from the heroine's POV, with a very small handful of scenes told from Francesca's perspective (secondary character, and the Matchmaker). There wasn't even a hint of anything from Dominic's side. It left the story very one-sided and when I finished, I felt like I hardly knew Dominic at all, only what Constance saw and what o
Juliana
Had such potential but the narrative completely ruined it for me - we *never* hear the hero's perspective!

The Marriage Wager is the first in Candace Camp's Matchmaker Series and I wish I could give it a higher rating, but I just cannot bring myself to. As others have remarked there was nothing really unusual or innovative about this book, but it would have been an enjoyable and sweet read if it hadn't been for one hugely annoying thing that I could *not* get over: we never hear Dominic's thought
Ally72
I really, really, really wanted to like this book. The idea of the series appealed to me and I was looking forward to reading the first book in it. The book started out well, but there really wasn't much development between the hero and heroine in the story. I was over half-way done with the book and the two lead characters had only had a few brief (very brief) conversations. Overall, the story took a long time to develop and I just felt it didn't work. I have the other books in the series in my ...more
Gerrie
I really like Candace Camp. She's a very accomplished and talented writer, and always enjoyable to read. I really wanted to like this book, and would give it 3 stars if that rating was available. It had a lot of good things going for it, and I was sorry not to be able to give it a higher rating. Since so many other readers have done an excellent job of outlining the plot, I won't go into it in my review.

What I really liked about the book had all the hallmarks of a good read by this author. Firs
Brianne
It may be due to my increasingly spinster-like age, but it turns out that the aging and unweddable heroine is one of my favorite romance tropes. I read the blurb on the back and this book went into the basket without a second thought.

I had to put this one down at one point, and it took me a really long time to get back to it. I was afraid that a misunderstanding (or some devious actions by disapproving parents, however you'd like to put it) would destroy what Constance and Dominic had built --
Jacqueline
Feb 21, 2009 Jacqueline rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Eh...really no one- the book didn't mark high in my opinion.
Recommended to Jacqueline by: No one; discovered it on my own
Hmm...

Okay, overall I wasn't impressed. I'm not sure if the reasoning is simply because it's been so long since I've perused a Camp novel, or if this plot just didn't speak to me.

Either way, one huge mark against The Marriage Wager was the fact that Camp did not delve into the hero's (Dominic) perspective. Sticking primarily to Constance's and Dominic's sister, Francesca's, perspective I felt the story was severaly lacking.

In the general sense, the plot was far too simple. Girl is invisable. Gi
Mary23nm
Liked it. One thing really bothered me though (view spoiler) ...more
Linda
This is my first exposure to this author and I'm anxious to finish this series. A wager on matchmaking ability by one pair of friends leads to an unexpected pairing from a poor young woman and a noble who needs to make a wealthy match to shore up the failing estate he will inherit.

The ending is very satisfying and not the usual doings you expect in a book that draws heavily on the usual ton doings. No magic fix just love and hard work lie ahead for the happy couple. You'll like the main characte
Terrie
Ever since I read my first Mills and Boon book as a teenager, they've been one of my guilty pleasures, something that I reach for when I need a comfort blanket and a few hours away from reality. Almost without exception, they leave me smiling and in a calmer frame of mind. In this respect "The Marriage Wager" didn't disappoint.

I've always gravitated towards books with a non-conventional heroine and Miss Constance Woodley, no longer in the first blush of youth and without a marriage portion, exem
Valerie Waters
Aww another sweet romance. Loved the characters in this book! And I loved the story. However. There were a few parts I had to skip. I hate when detailed bedroom scenes get thrown in more then half way through the book! Seriously wish books had ratings!!
Esra
Candace Camp'ten okuduğum ilk kitaptı.. Beğendim.. Okumaya devam edeceğim gibi görünüyor..
Francesca ve Rochford dükünün iddiasıyla başlıyor kitap.. İddia konusu Francesca'nın balo salonundan seçilecek herhangi bir kızın sezon sonuna kadar nişanlanmasını sağlamak.. İddiaya konu olan kız ise babasının ölümünün ardından amcasıyla yaşamaya başlayan ve genç yaşında kuzenlerine şaperonluk yapmak zorunda kalan Constance..
Kitapta yine favori sahnelerimden birisi vardı.. Dominic ve Constance atla gezint
Cass
I had some misgivings about the writing early on, and I hate to say that they plagued me until the end. It took me about halfway until I started thinking that the dialogue was a little forced, and the non-dialogue was, when not descriptive of actions, a painful repetition of the obvious subtext of the dialogue. While the characters, to a degree caricatures, were well constructed, by the end I cared little for the romance (I was not convinced by Constance's wavering opinions on Leighton nor her ' ...more
Linda
Miss Constance Woodley is having a lucky day. A supremely lucky day.

Due to a Duke's fancy, Lady Francesca is going to take her under her wing and look for a good match for her. No more standing in the corner as the companion to her cousins.

Constance is a charming character, modest and well-mannered. Lady Francesca is a superb social manipulator, aiding her at every turn.

A few stumbles on the way to true love and happier ever after.

A charmer of a novel, like a candy with a soft center.

HÜLYA
Emily
You know that Romances are one guilty pleasure. Sometimes it is nice to take a break between my usual novels. My sister recommended this book to me, and honestly I could not put it down. You know those books you just have to keep reading even though it's past midnight just to see what happens? and before you know it's 2am and you've finished the book. Good book. Best part? This is only the 1st book in the Matchmacker series. I'm going to find the next one today at one of the libraries in the val ...more
Rose
Quotes/Storyline I liked: (view spoiler) ...more
cecilia
I quite enjoyed learning more about Francesca and watching her matchmaking at work. I had been a little sad to see that there is no hint of her romance with Sinclair, past or present, although one does wonder at the very end when Francesca wins the bet (c'mon, not really a spoiler, is it? She is the matchmaker after all). It is also fun to see Francesca wield her power as a high-ranked lady to outwit Constance's stubborn aunt who is husband-hunting for her daughters and Dominic's stubborn admire ...more
Morgan
Este é o primeiro livro que comecei a ler para a Maratona de Banca, e que me foi gentilmente cedido pela Flávia do Clube do Livro. (Muito obrigada =) Primeiramente, quero dizer que este livro foi uma boa experiência, e se não me surpreendeu, ao menos cumpriu o seu papel: de divertir e entreter. Me tirar de leituras tão sisudas (não tenha lido tão sisudamente nos últimos meses, amém!).
Mas deixando de conversa fiada, e indo direto aos finalmentes. O primeiro livro da série Cupidos (Matchmakers no
Yukino
CENERENTOLA

Constance è una ragazza che per accudire suo padre ammalato ha dovuto rinunciare ad una proposta di matrimonio. Il padre muore e i suoi averi li ereditano degli zii che lasciano vivere Costance in casa loro ma come servetta. Vi ricorda qualcosa?

un giorno arriva il momento del debutto delle due cugine e constance convinta dalla zia a rassegnarsi ad essere zitella fa da chaperon.

Mentre sono ad un ricevimento a Londra durante la Stagione viene vista da due conti Lady Francesca Houghstone
Becky
The first in the Matchmakers series has a definite Cinderella-like flavor. Constance Woodley, on the shelf at twenty-nine, is in London for the first time only to act as a companion to her two spoiled younger cousins. Her aunt displays traditional "evil stepmother" tendencies, pressuring Constance to dress in drab, matronly clothing and ensuring that she is so busy tending to her daughters that she has no time to attempt to carve out a life for hersefl. Enter Lady Francesca Haughston, Constance' ...more
Virginia
Back in the day, when I was retired and I spent most of a year lying on my parents couch read garbage bags full of romance novels that a neighbor gave me, I became somewhat of an expert on the genre.

I have a few authors that I really really like, and I buy their books as soon as they come out in paperback, and then I read them 50 million times over the course of the next few years.

Candace Camp has the potential to become a favorite author of mine, but she isn't there yet. I enjoyed the heroine o
Anki
suzanne
It was okay. I like the premise of the story and I like how it started. I just didn't feel the romance though. Constance and Dominic seems like two protagonists in a movie with no chemistry.That is, except for their first encounter.
Janet
Absolutely wonderful read. I love the Regency period, and author Candace Camp captivated the era perfectly and was spot on historically speaking. I highly recommend this book to any avid reader and lover of historical romance.
Alyssa White
Another book that was lent to me from a friend. I couldn't put it down, there was never a dull moment. This was a great read and I cannot wait to read the rest of the series!
Melis
Ben bu kitabı ta ne zaman okudum ama bu goodreads yine bi haltlar karıştırmış. Neyse kitapla ilgili pek bir şey hatırlamıyorum ama iyiydi sanırım.
Jennifer Kronk
Just a delightful diversion. I wish I could just download the series and spend a day reading all of them.
Em!ly
Ana
A decent start to the Matchmakers series.
Tytti
Well, I bought this on the flea market today and it cost only one euro, so hopefully it's good and worth the price =)

This was very harlequin kind of book "I love him so much, but I can't let him marry me...and son on". It was worth the euro, but that's about it. It was very quick read... About the main characters, I liked their names: Constance and Dominic... and I liked the fact that Constance did have some backbone, even though in the end she became a little whiny... Everything ends happily, o
  • Her Notorious Viscount (Stoneworth, #1)
  • The Bride Thief
  • A Midsummer Night's Sin (Blackthorn Brothers #2)
  • Always a Scoundrel (Notorious Gentlemen, #3)
  • Merely Married
  • A Groom of One's Own (The Writing Girls, #1)
  • The Man from Gossamer Ridge  (Cooper, #6)
  • Never Romance a Rake (Neville Family #3)
  • As Luck Would Have It (Providence, #1)
  • After the Abduction (Swanlea Spinsters, #3)
  • The Duke Diaries (Royal Entourage, #3)
  • A Little Bit Wicked (Last Man Standing, #1)
  • The Wicked Games of a Gentleman (Boscastle, #4)
  • The Wedding of the Century & Other Stories
  • Yours 2 Keep
  • One Night Scandal (The Spinster Club, #5)
  • Royal Weddings
Candace Camp is the New York Times bestselling author of over sixty books.

Her first novel, *Bonds of Love*, was published by Jove Publishing in 1978, under the pseudonym Lisa Gregory. Two pseudonyms (Kristin James and Sharon Stephens)and many books later, Candace writes under her own name Candace Camp and still loves creating stories.

Candace lives in Austin, Texas, with her husband and is the mot
More about Candace Camp...

The Matchmaker (4 books)
  • The Bridal Quest (The Matchmaker #2)
  • The Wedding Challenge (The Matchmaker #3)
  • The Courtship Dance (The Matchmaker #4)
The Courtship Dance (The Matchmaker #4) The Bridal Quest (The Matchmaker #2) The Wedding Challenge (The Matchmaker #3) A Winter Scandal (St. Dwynwen, #1) Impulse