Start by marking “Judgment: How Winning Leaders Make Great Calls” as Want to Read:
Judgment: How Winning Leaders Make Great Calls

Judgment: How Winning Leaders Make Great Calls

“With good judgment, little else matters. Without it, nothing else matters.”

Whether we’re talking about United States presidents, CEOs, Major League coaches, or wartime generals, leaders are remembered for their best and worst judgment calls. In the face of ambiguity, uncertainty, and conflicting demands, the quality of a leader’s judgment determines the fate of the entir
Published November 8th 2007 by Portfolio Hardcover (first published April 20th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Judgment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Judgment

Bill Donhiser
Jan 05, 2015 Bill Donhiser rated it really liked it
I had this book on my to read shelf for a long time and finally decided to take it. it is well written and contains many interesting extensive case studies. The down side it is a little bit dated but that is my fault for waiting. The concept of a teachable point of view is great and it is worth the time.
Chris Ross
I listened to the audio book and it was only so so. For the most part the book is boring. This book is essentially a collection of stories from the authors' experiences and anecdotes about both good and bad leadership judgement calls and post-mortems of them. This book will not teach you how to make judgement calls though you can learn from the examples in this book. The story about the triage nurse shifting resources from an 80 year old man in cardiac arrest to a pregnant teenage girl with a ...more
Nick
Feb 10, 2008 Nick rated it it was ok
Judgment was hugely disappointing. Warren Bennis is a guru, and the book has been talked up no end. And to give it its due, the case studies are extensive, often fascinating, and well-researched. But the insights are so obvious as to be banal. We learn, for example, that leaders have to have "character and courage." And "values." Come on. The taxonomy of judgment, according to Bennis and Tichy include "pre-decision," the "call", and the "execution." There are 3 kinds of judgments that matter: ...more
David
Jul 23, 2015 David rated it really liked it

THE best analysis on making the critical 'call'. Great framework explained with many interesting (famous) examples of success and failure. Even a handbook at the end. First, the Framework:

* Domain: people, strategy, crisis
* Phases: Pre, The Call, Execution
* Process: Sense, Frame, Mobilize, Call, Execute, Adjust
* Knowledge: Self, Social NW, Org, Contextual

Also
* Teachable POV: Criticality of story telling ability. Esp. by CEO
* Character: having clear value
* Courage: having the guts to make the ca
Shaun
Jul 22, 2012 Shaun rated it liked it
This is a book by famed leadership guru Warren Bennis on making judgements. It focuses on making judgements in three realms: Key People, Strategy, and Crisis. It talks about having a Teachable Point of View (TPOV). The crux of the book is we need more leaders with better judgement skills. I hope our president and political leaders could make better judgements instead of doing things based on politcal expediency. The following areas influence our judgement:
1. self-knowledge
2. personal values &am
Edwin B
Dec 13, 2009 Edwin B rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't even know if this book was positively reviewed, or not, when I decided to read it - the reason being the subject matter of leadership judgment fascinated me - and my curiousity was piqued when this title came up in my online browsing of audiobooks available through my local library. It didn't show up in a search of New York Times bestsellers, but were there any practical gems I could pick up regardless of this book's popularity? So I read it, and found out about the dynamics surrounding ...more
Chris
Jul 03, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Three big takeaways from this book:

First, leaders should develop a teachable point of view or TPOV. A leader who has a consistent TPOV brings a predictable perspective to every discussion. After a while, it becomes the organizations way of viewing/processing/addressing issues.

Throughout the book, the authors also talk about the value of creating a story for the organization. Write the story. Tell the story. Tell it often.

Third, invest in the leadership culture. Nearly all the leaders profiled
Afton
Mar 15, 2011 Afton rated it it was ok
This book bounced around a lot. I didn't like the format of how the book was organized. I wished they had just taken a case study and told us the good and bad points. This book is very CEO business driven. The last chapter dealt with education though. I didn't take away a lot from it other than the fact that the people that a leader hires to work with can make a break a company, and how a leader deals with a crisis can make a big difference in a company's future.
Megan
Feb 14, 2009 Megan rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
i've tried finishing this one but i finally gave up on it...i guess i was looking for more advice, rather than case study after case study...maybe that comes farther in the book than i got but i decided that i'm not interested enough in sticking it out to find out...
Sunlita
Nov 24, 2007 Sunlita rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who want to be a great leader
I even haven't got a full-time job when I read a review (in Business Week) about this book. They reviewed everything about this book, that made me speechless now. Maybe I'll buy this book, after I have some extra money to spent off, for my leadership improvement.
Doug Allen
Oct 12, 2013 Doug Allen rated it liked it
A bit dated (includes Hurd's short-lived turnaround of HP) and a little too much focus on Welch and Immelt's work at GE. Some good cases and frameworks.
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 Lori Grant rated it it was amazing
A must-read book on leadership for knowledge workers, managers, directors, C-levels, and entrepreneurs.
Larry
Apr 13, 2010 Larry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this book to all leaders. It's a good read that shows the complexities of decision making.
Jim
Jim rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2011
Jason Yutzie
Jason Yutzie rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2012
Jim Duncan
Jim Duncan rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2012
David
David rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2009
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2013
Brian Bess
Brian Bess rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2010
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
May 30, 2009
Limingz
Limingz rated it it was ok
Jul 12, 2015
Daniel Woestman
Daniel Woestman rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2011
Louis Davey
Louis Davey rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2015
Hidaliv
Hidaliv rated it it was ok
Aug 29, 2015
ylovesboooks
ylovesboooks rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2015
Marthe
Marthe rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2010
Eden Brandeis
Eden Brandeis rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2015
Joseph Serwach
Jun 10, 2009 Joseph Serwach rated it really liked it
Great work
Curtis Ewah
Curtis Ewah rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Citizen Marketers: When People Are the Message
  • Cut to the Chase: and 99 Other Rules to Liberate Yourself and Gain Back the Gift of Time
  • Blur: The Speed Of Change In The Connected Economy
  • Leaders: Strategies for Taking Charge
  • Essentials of Accounting
  • Blown to Bits: How the New Economics of Information Transforms Strategy
  • A Passion for Excellence: The Leadership Difference
  • Principles of Statistics
  • Product Design And Development
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
  • The Lazy Person's Guide to Investing: A Book for Procrastinators, the Financially Challenged, and Everyone Who Worries about Dealing with Their Money
  • Dealing with Darwin : How Great Companies Innovate at Every Phase of Their Evolution
  • Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down
  • The Definitive Drucker
  • Finance for Non-Financial Managers
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • The Truth about Leadership: The No-Fads, Heart-Of-The-Matter Facts You Need to Know
  • Little Teal Book of Trust: How to Earn It, Grow It, and Keep It to Become a Trusted Advisor in Sales, Business and Life