Start by marking “Confessions of Super Mom” as Want to Read:
Confessions of Super Mom

Confessions of Super Mom

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  199 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Strange things are happening to divorced mother-of-two Birdie Lee since the Horrible Swiffer Accident. She can sense danger (for example, a carload of speeding teenagers without seatbelts) and spring into action with superhuman speed. She can find out what her daughter is doing on the Internet without even having to snoop. And she's got cleaning powers ordinary women can o ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published August 18th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Confessions of Super Mom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions of Super Mom

dniece
May 10, 2007 dniece rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Moms & Soon-To-Be-Moms
I picked this book up on an impulse which rarely works out for me. This time it did! This is a unique, well-written story about a single mom with teenagers. Oh, and she happens to have superpowers. The superhero angle provides much fun and laughter, and totally complements the heart-warming story.

If you are tired of the "same old, same old", pick up this book! A sequel just came out, it's at the top of my TBR pile.
Warrenbru
My wife kept me awake nights by laughing as she read this in bed so I had to read it even though I'm a guy. I have to say that is was funny and well written...I recommend it for mom AND dads.
carissa
Apr 28, 2007 carissa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like superheroes and moms
This was a fun book to read, especially since I really like superheroes. It was a quick read and included a light love story. Anyone who feels like a Super-mom should read this book.
Jen
I LOVED this book! Birdie Lee is my new hero. This book is funny and touching at the same time.
Michele
May 11, 2007 Michele rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mom's
Ever since her divorce, Birdie Lee has been trying to do it all. She is a grocery-store cashier who does her best to be a good mom to teenagers Martin, a lovable geek, and Kelly, who finds her mother terribly embarrassing. One morning, after the kids have gone to school, Birdie goes after a stubborn stain in the bathroom. An ill-advised mixture of all the cleaning products in the house knocks her out cold; on waking, Birdie possesses miraculous cleaning powers and an uncanny ability to anticipat ...more
Lori
Who hasn't made the "moms are superheroes" analogy? Because absolutely, we are.

And as much as I'd like to be able to clean up spills in a single bound, this book wasn't as clever as it should've been.

Plus, the leaking/squirting references really skeeved me out.
Betty
May 02, 2007 Betty rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Moms!
What an unexpected delight! This is the kind of book you recall cute parts from out of the blue months later. It is funny and warm and witty...a great read when you want a book that makes you read with a grin on your face.
Elissa
The title caught my eye at the library and I picked it up without thinking too much. What a funny, quick read! I love all the little referances to Superheroes throughout the book...
Theresa
I just couldn't get through this book. I wanted to like it so much, but it really felt forced and fell flat for me.
Cheryl
After an overdose of Austen derivatives and English country house mysteries, I was looking to read something that was closer to my lived experience as a suburban mom, and this looked promising. The premise was fresh--how can an ordinary divorced mother and mild-mannered supermarket clerk turn into a superhero with strange chemically enhanced powers? I enjoyed the way the author melded the conventions of the superhero biography with the realities of being a mom. There were many funny moments and ...more
Karschtl
Birdie Lee, Hausfrau und Mutter, fällt beim Putzen in Ohnmacht und hat nach dem Aufwachen neue Kräfte gewonnen: sie kann besser hören als ein Hund, spürt wenn ein Kind in Gefahr ist, hat einen "Gnadenlosblick" drauf, der jeden Frechdachs in die Knie zwingt und kann natürlich superschnell alles blitzblank putzen mittels eines Reinigungsfluid, der bei Bedarf aus ihren Fingerspitzen tropft.

Mich hat das Cover irgendwie angesprochen, der Klappentext klang auch nett. Nett ist das Buch dann auch, mehr
Pamela
This one caught my eye in a bargain book sale rack with the title Confessions of Super Mom, because who hasn't wanted to be a Super Mom. It also jumped out at me as the author's first name is the same as my first born daughter. It was a delightful and quick read. I found it entertaining and funny.
Cindy
Amanda
This book is the perfect antidote to a bad mood. It's funny and charming, a little cheesy, a little cliche, but it does so with such a good heart, it's impossible not to smile while reading it. It still manages to produce a pretty clear critical message about big corporations and small town America, which I totally agree with, giving the book substance beneath the cotton candy fluff. I thouroughly enjoyed it and its' little jokes(see JLA references and a little Superman cameo haha). It's a good ...more
Sharal Hunter
I've never read anything by this author before and was very pleasantly surprised at how quickly I was drawn into the story and the character's personalities and lives. I thought the arrival of a membership packet from the Justice League of America was entertaining and I'll be curious if Wonder Woman makes her presence known as Super Mom's assigned mentor / trainer in the next book. For some reason, I had a hard time picturing Birdie in my mind's eye as I read the book. She is described as being ...more
Saige Bradley
Sounds really good!!!
I picked this book up from my library on a whim, and at first I was sure it wasn't going to be much more than a laugh. As I read, I found myself enthralled with the story, intrigued by the plot, and falling in love with the characters, especially Birdie - though it certainly was very humorous.

This book is a quick, fun read not only about becoming a superhero via chemical fumes, but also about learning that there is a little superhero in all of us, especially if you're a mother.
Cassandra
this book was super funny no pun intended! i love how the author captured the relationship between parents and teens and how people can be cruel. but the best relationships dont let the bumps destroy them. i was laughing at points so hard i was crying and that is a difficult thing for me to do when im reading i would totally recommend this book to people and im going to recommend it to my mother when she gets home. its a perfect pick me up
Diana
Birdie Lee is a normal mom until a Swiffer accident gives her superpowers and transforms her into Super Mom. Now she must keep her secret identity, take down the supervillian, and get the guy.

This is a fun book with a refreshing take on the superhero genre. However, Birdie herself is an emotional mess that has no self-esteem and continually gets walked on. She inspires pity--not a good trait for a protagonist.
Cindi Moss
I first picked up this book about a year ago because of the title. It had a hard time keeping my interest, though. I found it again at the library last week, and checked it out and was able to finish it, but I felt it lagged in certain places. Still, cute idea, and good for a first novel.
Clarice
Actually, I didn't even finish reading this book, it was that much a waste of my time. The idea is just silly, and really, it's a story that someone in JR High would write. I don't know why I thought this would be good, I liked the idea more than the reality I guess.
Jamie Leigh
I really enjoyed the author's writing style, and some parts made me laugh, but the story was just not one of my favorites. I know it was never intended to be a realistic story but I think I'd like to read a more believable story by this author.
Theresa
Loved, Loved, Loved this book. From the funny parts, " Stop in the name of the PTA", to the real world parts. This book resonated with me as a newly middle aged mom of two teens who is working retail for the first time in her life.
Amber
After an incident involving a vast amount of cleaning chemicals, the heroine of this story finds herself with super cleaning powers, and then some. The ensuing tale is incredibly funny.

This would make a great beach-read. :)
Suzy
Just finished and I loved it! It was easy to love this book being the mom of 5 who have frequently called me "super mom" as they were growing up. A quick and humorous read. I hope to read about more adventures of "Super Mom"!
Mom
Reads like a Disney movie but has a few funny moments. Divorced mom of two overuses cleaning products in an unventilated space and develops superhero powers. Just as believable as vampire and mystical realism stories.
Kathy
This book was hilarious and heartwarming. A great quick read. For the naysayers grow a sense of humor and imagination, of course there's unbelievable parts, its a story about a mom who gains superpowers.......
Stephanie
Wasn't sure about this book when I bought it on the 70% off rack at a department store in FL, but it is very entertaining. Off the beaten path of the usual psychological murder mysteries I usually read.
Karol
Sep 03, 2011 Karol rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
I only read this because it was a free download. It was very stupid and predictable, with hokey superhero references. It fell very short of clever.
Leah
So cute! Quick easy light read. I could relate to this book in a lot of ways I think any SAHM could. I liked it and read it in one night.
  • The Givenchy Code (Codebreaker Trilogy, #1)
  • A Time to Mend
  • Mother on Fire: A True Motherf%#$@ Story About Parenting!
  • Perfectly Plum: Unauthorized Essays On the Life, Loves And Other Disasters of Stephanie Plum, Trenton Bounty Hunter
  • Down and Out in Bugtussle: The Mad Fat Road to Happiness (Mad Fat Girl #3)
  • Hex and the Single Girl
  • Wedding Season
  • My Life Uncovered
  • The Maternal Is Political: Women Writers at the Intersection of Motherhood and Social Change
  • A Vision in Velvet (A Witchcraft Mystery #6)
  • Other People's Words: The Cycle of Low Literacy
  • Theodora's Diary: Faith, Hope and Chocolate
  • Writings to Young Women from Laura Ingalls Wilder - Volume One: On Wisdom and Virtues
  • Strangewood
  • It's Not You, It's Biology.: The Science of Love, Sex, and Relationships
  • Midori Days, Volume 3 (Midori Days, #3)
  • Time Lottery
  • These People Are Us: Stories
Melanie Lynne Hauser also writes historical fiction under the pen name Melanie Benajamin.

Hailing from the Hoosier state (where she grew up in the shadow of the Indianapolis 500 racetrack), Melanie Lynne Hauser is a late bloomer who is just now figuring out what she wants to be when she grows up. Having tried her hand at telemarketing, candy striping for a nursing home (where it was suggested she n
More about Melanie Lynne Hauser...
Super Mom Saves the World Jumble Pie