Start by marking “The Cook's Herb Garden” as Want to Read:
The Cook's Herb Garden

The Cook's Herb Garden

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  117 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
With a catalog of 150 different culinary herbs and their varieties, more than 30 recipes, step-by-step photographs on how to plant, nurture, harvest, and store, and flavor charts that list the best herbs to partner with popular ingredients, "The Cook's Herb Garden" shows you how to grow your own supply of herbs whether on a window ledge, in pots, on the patio, or in a vege ...more
Published March 1st 2010 by DK Publishing (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Cook's Herb Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cook's Herb Garden

Annie Matthys
Jun 07, 2015 Annie Matthys rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Succinct, helpful, and interesting! As someone who is hoping to learn about herb gardening on a more in-depth basis, this explained the no-brainer basics of both growing, harvesting, and usage (how to dry, etc.). The recipes are really tempting, too! The physical size of the book is convenient, and I know I will refer back to it time and again in the garden and kitchen.
Freda Labianca
Mar 08, 2010 Freda Labianca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spring is right around the corner, and now is the perfect time for any beginner gardeners to grab a copy of this book. Personally, I found this book very useful in more ways than I imagined. Not only does it cover herbs, as stated in the title. It also covers; most plants and flowers, and even had recipes inside.
Any of you who read my blog know how I love them recipes!! So I had to try one out.
This was my first experience with avocados, and I had fun, but will adapt the recipe a little next time
Dearwassily
Nothing special, a simple, informational text with some recipes.
Donna
May 08, 2011 Donna rated it really liked it
This is a really good guide to culinary herbs, how to grow them and what to do with them in cooking. A good reference book, I have renewed this so many times from the library that am now going to have to buy a copy because they won't let me renew it anymore!!
Serity
Mar 05, 2013 Serity rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
good overview on the herbs, how to grow, harvest, and propagate them. also, i really enjoyed the recipe ideas in the back - gave me a lot of creative ideas. not sure i would actually make many of them, but it was fun to dream about having the time to do it!
Stefanie
Good and concise information on basics for growing and harvesting herbs. Includes pictures and tips for different kinds. Has some good recipes that give you a start on what you can do with herbs for cooking. Also tips on making your own herbal tea!
Karyn
I really enjoyed this book. While I want to think of myself as a true veggie gardener, I think I might be really more of an herb and flower gardener. :-) This book, while simple, would be a reference book I'd enjoy having on my shelves.
claire
May 07, 2012 claire rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very beautiful book. Not a detailed guide by any means but there is some really valuable information lovingly shared with striking visuals and careful descriptions. A good primer for the beginner herb enthusiast!
Zuzana
Mar 12, 2013 Zuzana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Výborná pre začínajúcich bylinkárov :) Netreba čakať veľký katalóg bylín, skôr je zameraná na základné rady o pestovaní, zbere, skladovaní a úprave základných druhov kuchynských bylín.
Barbara
Mar 15, 2011 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
Loved the ideas in this book. More because I think I can garden, some great things to try and ways to use the herbs I grow! Will def check this book out again in July/August
Tara
May 03, 2011 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely useful for beginning herb gardeners. I found the suggested layouts for potted herbs to be very helpful. The recipes were a nice surprise, too. Great book!
Pia Jensen Ray
This is a beautiful book with lots of inspiration on how to use and grow herbs. I love all the beautiful and clear photos in it - they really help me find what I need.
Robin
Mar 19, 2012 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Novice to gardening and picked up this book to get started with herbs.

I can see myself returning to this book again and again for reference.
Gary
May 03, 2013 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Lots of info. The kind of book you never really finish but keep going back to.
Imen Stitches
Jun 06, 2011 Imen Stitches rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Lovely photos. Informative for "back yard" herbs.
PWRL
Jul 11, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-new
E
Fangfangxx
Fangfangxx rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Chris Rumatz
Chris Rumatz rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
CJ
CJ marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Geo
Geo marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
elin
elin marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Deborah
Deborah is currently reading it
May 25, 2016
Lauren Paletta
Lauren Paletta marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Claire Morda
Claire Morda rated it really liked it
May 23, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Wendy  Wilson
Wendy Wilson marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Justine Sefton
Justine Sefton marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Liz
Liz rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2016
  • Western Garden Book of Edibles: The Complete A-Z Guide to Growing Your Own Vegetables, Herbs, and Fruits
  • Herbs & Spices: The Cook's Reference
  • The New Midwestern Table: 200 Heartland Recipes
  • The America's Test Kitchen Cooking School Cookbook
  • Grow Your Own Veg (Rhs)
  • Ripe: A Fresh, Colorful Approach to Fruits and Vegetables
  • Preserves (River Cottage Handbook, #2)
  • The Edible Garden
  • Homegrown Herbs: Gardening Techniques, Recipes, and Remedies for Growing and Using 101 Herbs
  • Stephanie Alexander's Kitchen Garden Companion
  • The River Cottage Year
  • Hot Dudes Reading
  • Thai Street Food
  • Herbivoracious: A Flavor Revolution with 150 Vibrant and Original Vegetarian Recipes
  • Sugar Snaps and Strawberries: Simple Solutions for Creating Your Own Small-Space Edible Garden
  • Japanese Soul Cooking: Ramen, Tonkatsu, Tempura, and More from the Streets and Kitchens of Tokyo and Beyond
  • Eat: The Little Book of Fast Food
  • Mary Berry 100 Cakes and Bakes (My Kitchen Table)