Start by marking “Green Lantern/Green Arrow, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Green Lantern/Green Arrow, Vol. 1

Green Lantern/Green Arrow, Vol. 1 (Green Lantern)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,798 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Billed as "Comix that Give a Damn", DC released four classic Denny O'Neil/Neal Adams stories from their ground-breaking run on the Green Lantern/Green Arrow for the first time in papaerback form in 1972. Credited as introducing "relevance" to super-hero comics by having its heroes confront such subjects as racism; drug abuse; social conformity; over-population; Indian-Righ ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published January 1st 1972 by Paperback Library (first published March 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Green Lantern/Green Arrow, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Green Lantern/Green Arrow, Vol. 1

Jennifer Hooker
When I saw this at my local comic shop, I battled with myself over whether or not to buy it. $30 was a lot for a comic I didn't know I'd like. Alas, my love of Green Arrow won me over and I bought it. I must say, I'm glad I did.

I'm not one for the old school comics since the writing seems so hoakey to me but wow, was I wrong (sort of). The writing is still pretty, uh, 70's, but if you overlook the excessive exclamation points and thought bubbles, the issues these two "emerald warriors" tackle a
Julia
May 17, 2016 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dc-comics, 2016

This was good fun. I recently read Flash & Green Lantern: The Brave and the Bold and this was not as fun as that one. They're both light-hearted and have some quippy one-liners, but this one deals with some heavier issues. Green Lantern in particular has to deal with the realization that the world is not as black and white as he once thought. He questions authority more throughout these issues and eventually realizes that the Guardians and the government are not always right.

Green A
Ted Child
Apr 11, 2010 Ted Child rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Ever read a comic book clearly written by a hippie (in the nicest sense of the word)? More than a decade before Alan Moore did it with Watchmen, O’Neil began to dig away at the ideological ground of superheroes. In his introduction, written in ‘83, O’Neil writes, “Green Lantern was, in effect, a cop. An incorruptible cop, to be sure, with noble intentions but still a cop, a crypto-fascist: he took orders, he committed violence at the behest of commanders whose authority he did not question.” I ...more
Kathryn
Jul 08, 2012 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GA's bow folds in half! If it did that in the Silver Age comics I never noticed, but in GL#76 he's seen from the front in the new costume and the top of his quiver is visible; suddenly he turns and has his bow out with lines indicating it's unfolding as it comes from either inside the quiver or attached to the back of out and SNAP! Cooool!

GA is acting kind of like a jerk in the first two issues. Truncated this part to kill spoilers, but just a little bit preachy and exaggerated.

Still kind of a j
Seth
Mar 12, 2015 Seth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a particularly huge Green Lantern fan, but I love the Green Arrow and since I am still pretty new to reading DC titles I decided that I should probably read this title. Reading GL and GA did three things for me; 1. It's solidified my love for the Emerald Archer and Black Canery, 2. It's given me a much greater respect for the Green Lantern and Hal Jordan, and 3. Made me realize that the big wigs at DC should re-introduce this title under Lemire, Snyder, or even Johns to give new comic re ...more
Brian
Jun 01, 2012 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
This is one of the series that got my brothers and I into comics for real. It was the first series we "discovered" on our own rather than by reference from others. It was a breath of fresh air in a time when the success of The Dark Knight Returns had the comics industry tripping over itself to be dark, gritty, and suffocating.

It's political, what with Arrow proposing to teach Lantern about the complexities of justice by taking him on a cross country trip to find the soul of America and Ollie's "
Raj
This book feels very much of its time, in the language, the thought bubbles and some of the themes covered. While it might be easy to mock its pairing of heroes who, on the surface, have nothing in common except that they have 'green' in their name, the introduction goes out of its way to explain this pairing, and having read the book, it does more or less work. Green Lantern is the ultimate policeman, always following orders and having a very black and white interpretation of justice. Green Arr ...more
Jake
Nov 01, 2015 Jake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
(3.5) I'm not much of a fan of comic books. I get the appeal, I really do. But for me, I've always needed verisimilitude in my entertainment and overly muscular dudes flying around to save busty maidens and ungrateful cities from maniacal costumed villains who want to destroy things just for the sake of destruction has never appealed to me. Batman has been the only comic character that I've ever enjoyed because he is human.

However, in a fit of boredom, I started watching CW's Arrow. And I saw t
Victor Orozco
Not bad. But a bit over-rated.

Some pretty interesting dilemma faced the characters of Green Lantern and Green Arrow. Basically their sales were low and the artists were given a free reign in how they wanted to tell the stories of two vastly underrated comic book characters.

I have to admit, I've become a big fan of the Green Lantern ever since Geoff Johns turn in the 2000s, Green Arrow is not that much of a favorite but he has some great moments. But make no mistake I believe its because of Batma
Ross
Oct 28, 2010 Ross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Really some of the greatest comics ever written. Dennis O'Neil and Neal Adams were masters. I would still say that the stuff Neil Adams drew forty years ago blows away almost anything drawn today. Very clear social commentary and reflection at work here.
Oliver Hodson
Apr 07, 2015 Oliver Hodson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this, and thought that the art stood up very well, probably even better than adams' batman work. I thought the stories were a bit uneven, especially the fantasy based ones, but I liked the social issue stories, even if they were a bit heavy handed (the lackey who just couldn't resist calling the boss fuhrer, amongst others). Having extensively read john's green lantern i was trying to remember what he did with maltus in the here and now (a bit different than the treatment here for sure ...more
Michael
Dec 02, 2012 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics

I’ve come late to the whole taking-comics-seriously-as-art party, but I’d just like to burst the bubbles of an old lion and a sacred cow and say, for the record, the following. Frank Miller’s 2002 Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again, the follow-up to his 1986 masterpiece of Cold War paranoia and moral panic, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, is a jumble of comic book clichés and poor, distracting storytelling techniques – not to mention amorphous and bori
Tanya
Jul 09, 2014 Tanya rated it liked it
This book was pretty neat. It has three Green Lantern comics in it and an introduction by Samuel R. Delaney. They all have Green Arrow in them. I liked the third comic, "Journey To Desolation", the most. Hal was able to rely on himself and his inner strength rather than the ring. Green Arrow is an ok character, but I'd never read anything with him in it before.

I'd recommend this book to fans of Green Lantern, Green Arrow and comics in general.
Candace Perry
Oh Green Lantern/Green Arrow, how should I rate you? Your message come off heavy-handed to my 2015 eyes, but I can't deny the importance of the social justice-y message to your 1970 audience. I'm going with 4 stars because I enjoyed their adventures overall, especially how much Black Canary was in it. But this book could certainly be a topic of discussion on how comics reflect their time.
Disreali
Feb 16, 2016 Disreali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fights and Tights done quite well! GL and GA argue like an old married couple, get into scrapes, and have overwrought reactions to SOCIAL ISSUES. (My ward is a junkie!!!!) Admittedly one of the first comics to even try that kinda thing, so not bad, but very Silver Age.
Erin
Oct 29, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this more than I thought I would, even though it certainly wasn't great with female characters and handled its social issues without one ounce of subtlety. Despite that I found it fun and a worthwhile peek into how folks were thinking about social justice at the time.
Justin
Two of my favorite super heroes in one comic made for an enjoyable read. The character development was thin but not cheesy. Or at least cheesy enough to make it enjoyable. Black Canary stole the show though. I wish she would be featured in more comics.
jeremiah
Aug 31, 2010 jeremiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Interesting read that pre-dates Watchmen in it's effort to grapple what it means for superheros to "fight evil". While the overall story is interesting, there were just too many instances of extreme cheese and over-simplification. I couldn't finish it.

Green Arrow is somewhat of an anarchist trying to make Green Lantern "wake-up" to society's ills from his current by-the-letter-of-the-law world view. Not sure if this awakening is what caused the events that predated Green Lantern: Rebirth.
Lauren
Oct 23, 2013 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loving this collection and excited to read more. I think the juxtaposition of GL and GA is perfect! GL is finally starting to realize that might (or political power) is not always in the right, and that justice is not always of a piece with the law. I love his struggle to define what is 'evil'. GA is a powerful, compassionate man, but he is unaware of the problems in his impetuosity that propels him into action. GL's hesitation to define the evil in each of the situations they are confronted wit ...more
William Maxwell
An interesting bit of comic history, including the introduction of Jon Stewart, Ollie for Mayor, and Speedy's heroin problem!
Jedi Sunni
Mar 08, 2015 Jedi Sunni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine
Read a while ago,not remembering much but just skimming thorough I would most certainly read this again. Definitely worth while!
Craig
Dec 01, 2015 Craig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some weird 1970s racism, couple strange choices in stories, but includes a couple marquee and unforgettable moments in the GL/GA mythos.
Dan
Sep 18, 2008 Dan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just picked this up on a whim while I was exploring the public library near me. I can see why this was considered revolutionary at the time, but it just doesn't hold up today. First, I know having political elements is what made the series so ground-breaking, but the 60s-vintage preachiness reads extremely heavy-handed today. Second, like most comics of the era, the characters feel very flat and the dialogue feels stilted and unnatural (yes, non-comics readers, comics today, or at least the good ...more
Magila
3.5

A few of the stories were only ok, but many of them were quite interesting. Reading the author's forward helped to understand his focus on creating more dynamic characters and complex content. It seem these days every author feels the same way, but considering this comic was born in the 60/70's I think it carries a bit more weight. Questions of morality rang all the louder in the Vietnam/Civil Rights era.

Not groundbreaking to me, but solidly very good. Well illustrated stories that beg at le
Nathaniel
May 21, 2013 Nathaniel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Green Arrow and Green Lantern and a macro-cephalic space alien try to reenact On the Road. They want to learn about what ails "America today", the answer to which question seems to be racist cult leaders with hypnotic powers and megalomaniac Nazi mine bosses. Inadvertent hilarity ensues.

Can you dig it, chum?
Todd
This is a precursor to Dennis O'Neil run on one of my favorite comics, The Question. This is undeniably a superhero story but it features some great social commentary. Green Arrow is this character now. There is little reason to think that Green Arrow would still be around if he hadn't become the leftist mouth piece that he is here. I don't even find Green Lantern incredibly boring here.
Joel
Feb 09, 2015 Joel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mostly of historic interest.
Joel
This was a lot of fun, sending GL and GA across America to deal with non-galactic threats, like social injustice, racism and hippies! It gets pretty silly at times (well, it was the 70s), but the Neal Adams art always keeps things classy.
Joe S
Apr 02, 2012 Joe S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this as a teen, and was hooked. The books seemed real, and was set in the real world, with real social issues being debated. Not just a "comic" book; it made me realize how even fictional characters can inspire.
Tara
Jul 04, 2008 Tara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: old school comic book lovers
The legendary "you've helped the green man and the orange man, but what have you ever done for the black man" issue is the first in this bound volume of two of my favorite not yet mainstream comic book heroes.
  • Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters
  • Green Arrow, Volume 6: Moving Targets
  • Justice League International, Vol. 1
  • New Gods
  • Absolute DC: The New Frontier
Dennis O'Neil is a comic book writer and editor best known for his work on Batman, Green Arrow/Green Lantern, and The Question.

He also wrote a novel with Jim Berry under the pen name "Jim Dennis".
More about Dennis O'Neil...

Green Lantern (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • The Golden Age Green Lantern Archives, Vol. 1