Start by marking “Green Lantern/Green Arrow, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Green Lantern/Green Arrow, Vol. 1

Green Lantern/Green Arrow, Vol. 1 (Green Lantern)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,337 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Billed as "Comix that Give a Damn", DC released four classic Denny O'Neil/Neal Adams stories from their ground-breaking run on the Green Lantern/Green Arrow for the first time in papaerback form in 1972. Credited as introducing "relevance" to super-hero comics by having its heroes confront such subjects as racism; drug abuse; social conformity; over-population; Indian-Righ ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published January 1st 1972 by Paperback Library (first published March 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Green Lantern/Green Arrow, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Green Lantern/Green Arrow, Vol. 1

Jennifer Hooker
When I saw this at my local comic shop, I battled with myself over whether or not to buy it. $30 was a lot for a comic I didn't know I'd like. Alas, my love of Green Arrow won me over and I bought it. I must say, I'm glad I did.

I'm not one for the old school comics since the writing seems so hoakey to me but wow, was I wrong (sort of). The writing is still pretty, uh, 70's, but if you overlook the excessive exclamation points and thought bubbles, the issues these two "emerald warriors" tackle a
Weyr
GA's bow folds in half! If it did that in the Silver Age comics I never noticed, but in GL#76 he's seen from the front in the new costume and the top of his quiver is visible; suddenly he turns and has his bow out with lines indicating it's unfolding as it comes from either inside the quiver or attached to the back of out and SNAP! Cooool!

GA is acting kind of like a jerk in the first two issues. Truncated this part to kill spoilers, but just a little bit preachy and exaggerated.

Still kind of a j
Brian
This is one of the series that got my brothers and I into comics for real. It was the first series we "discovered" on our own rather than by reference from others. It was a breath of fresh air in a time when the success of The Dark Knight Returns had the comics industry tripping over itself to be dark, gritty, and suffocating.

It's political, what with Arrow proposing to teach Lantern about the complexities of justice by taking him on a cross country trip to find the soul of America and Ollie's "
Ted Child
Ever read a comic book clearly written by a hippie (in the nicest sense of the word)? More than a decade before Alan Moore did it with Watchmen, O’Neil began to dig away at the ideological ground of superheroes. In his introduction, written in ‘83, O’Neil writes, “Green Lantern was, in effect, a cop. An incorruptible cop, to be sure, with noble intentions but still a cop, a crypto-fascist: he took orders, he committed violence at the behest of commanders whose authority he did not question.” I ...more
Ross
Really some of the greatest comics ever written. Dennis O'Neil and Neal Adams were masters. I would still say that the stuff Neil Adams drew forty years ago blows away almost anything drawn today. Very clear social commentary and reflection at work here.
Michael

I’ve come late to the whole taking-comics-seriously-as-art party, but I’d just like to burst the bubbles of an old lion and a sacred cow and say, for the record, the following. Frank Miller’s 2002 Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again, the follow-up to his 1986 masterpiece of Cold War paranoia and moral panic, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, is a jumble of comic book clichés and poor, distracting storytelling techniques – not to mention amorphous and bori
Tanya
This book was pretty neat. It has three Green Lantern comics in it and an introduction by Samuel R. Delaney. They all have Green Arrow in them. I liked the third comic, "Journey To Desolation", the most. Hal was able to rely on himself and his inner strength rather than the ring. Green Arrow is an ok character, but I'd never read anything with him in it before.

I'd recommend this book to fans of Green Lantern, Green Arrow and comics in general.
jeremiah
Interesting read that pre-dates Watchmen in it's effort to grapple what it means for superheros to "fight evil". While the overall story is interesting, there were just too many instances of extreme cheese and over-simplification. I couldn't finish it.

Green Arrow is somewhat of an anarchist trying to make Green Lantern "wake-up" to society's ills from his current by-the-letter-of-the-law world view. Not sure if this awakening is what caused the events that predated Green Lantern: Rebirth.
Lauren
Loving this collection and excited to read more. I think the juxtaposition of GL and GA is perfect! GL is finally starting to realize that might (or political power) is not always in the right, and that justice is not always of a piece with the law. I love his struggle to define what is 'evil'. GA is a powerful, compassionate man, but he is unaware of the problems in his impetuosity that propels him into action. GL's hesitation to define the evil in each of the situations they are confronted wit ...more
Dan
Just picked this up on a whim while I was exploring the public library near me. I can see why this was considered revolutionary at the time, but it just doesn't hold up today. First, I know having political elements is what made the series so ground-breaking, but the 60s-vintage preachiness reads extremely heavy-handed today. Second, like most comics of the era, the characters feel very flat and the dialogue feels stilted and unnatural (yes, non-comics readers, comics today, or at least the good ...more
Magila
3.5

A few of the stories were only ok, but many of them were quite interesting. Reading the author's forward helped to understand his focus on creating more dynamic characters and complex content. It seem these days every author feels the same way, but considering this comic was born in the 60/70's I think it carries a bit more weight. Questions of morality rang all the louder in the Vietnam/Civil Rights era.

Not groundbreaking to me, but solidly very good. Well illustrated stories that beg at le
Natty
Green Arrow and Green Lantern and a macro-cephalic space alien try to reenact On the Road. They want to learn about what ails "America today", the answer to which question seems to be racist cult leaders with hypnotic powers and megalomaniac Nazi mine bosses. Inadvertent hilarity ensues.

Can you dig it, chum?
Joel
This was a lot of fun, sending GL and GA across America to deal with non-galactic threats, like social injustice, racism and hippies! It gets pretty silly at times (well, it was the 70s), but the Neal Adams art always keeps things classy.
Joe S
Read this as a teen, and was hooked. The books seemed real, and was set in the real world, with real social issues being debated. Not just a "comic" book; it made me realize how even fictional characters can inspire.
Tara
Jul 04, 2008 Tara rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: old school comic book lovers
The legendary "you've helped the green man and the orange man, but what have you ever done for the black man" issue is the first in this bound volume of two of my favorite not yet mainstream comic book heroes.
Craig
Similar dynamic as a Superman/Batman story with Green Lantern being the boy scout and Green Arrow being about action and getting results. Heavy-handed in social justice arcs it felt dated but still good.
John
Overall, I found this volume less appealing than volume 2. The stories rely heavily on extraterrestrial creatures and caricatures, making this volume too alike run of the mill superhero comics.
Andrew Lenards
Extremely interesting read because of the anti-hero perspectives and the view of society. Also some of the first discussion of drug use (along with Green Arrow's ward becoming a heroin addict).
Rosa
While some of the social issues that are handled in this comic may seem to be handled in a trite manner, the underlying themes are still very relevant. It was an interesting read.
J.
Surprisingly mature, for the time period. A little stereotypical with some of the ethnicities, but it seems to be done in the right spirit.
Meghan Wilson
pretty good...very insightful and deep for a comic book from the 60s...in a kind of cheezy way.
A
Green Arrow and Green Lantern tackle pressing social issues! What's not to like?
Christopher
Interesting in a historical sense, but very dated and, I don't know, slow.
Robert
Not as dated as the second volume, and just as entertaining.
Michael
Cheesy, preachy, weird, but luckily, it's still a lot of fun.
Warren
Important groundbreaking comic dealing with social issues of the 70s.
Thurston
The was the series that got me into comics in my teens
Phil
A throwback where hal is not as cocky as he is nowadays
Bill Barlow
a bit dated, but still interesting
james nthanze njonjo
james nthanze njonjo marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
  • Green Lantern: Emerald Dawn
  • Green Arrow: Into the Woods
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Gods and Mortals
  • Legion of Super-Heroes: The Great Darkness Saga
Dennis O'Neil is a comic book writer and editor best known for his work on Batman, Green Arrow/Green Lantern, and The Question.

He also wrote a novel with Jim Berry under the pen name "Jim Dennis".
More about Dennis O'Neil...
Batman: Knightfall Batman: Venom Batman Begins Batman: Tales of the Demon The Dark Knight