Tangled Lies (Men Made In America 2 Series, #11)

Tangled Lies (Men Made In America 2 #11)

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Surrounded by greed and treachery, Rachel Chandler feels completely alone in the world - until her brother, who's been missing for fifteen years, is spotted in Hawaii. Rachel will stop at nothing to find him.

But when she arrives at her brother's cottage, she encounters a stranger. A man haunted by his past. A man looking to use Rachel for his own purposes.

A man Rachel want...more
Mass Market Paperback, Men Made in America #11 - Hawaii, 256 pages
Published March 15th 1994 by Silhouette (first published September 1984)

Maldivianbookreviewer
So my Anne Stuart reading binge continued, this time with a Harlequin Intrigue that was published in 1994. Tangled Lies though an earlier story by the author was nevertheless a great one that compelled me to keep on reading, to find out the truth behind the tangled web of lies and deceit that is spun throughout the story, something Anne Stuart is so very good at.

Rachel Chandler makes her way to a little island in Hawaii to meet her brother Emmett Chandler after being estranged from him for 15 lo...more
Rachel
I admit I was a bit creeped out by the premise of the story. That being said, however, I decided to throw caution to the wind and trust in Anne Stuart. I'm glad I did. This was a nice story that even had a few *laugh out loud* moments for me. The "ick" factor associated with the darker theme of this book isn't so bad once you realize who everyone is and what's really going on. Also, I was completely blindsided by the twist at the end, I didn't see it coming and was pleasantly surprised. In compa...more
Ana T.
Another Anne Stuart series book with a really original plot. This one is a Harlequin Intrigue. Rachel Chandler flies to Kauai to meet with her brother Emmett who's been missing for 15 years. When she finally finds him it seems he is not as happy to see her and she is about seeing him and soon she starts to feel very attracted to him.

This could have been a very weird book, after all the heroine starts to have what seems to be incestuous feelings, however we are told almost from the start that Emm...more
Crista
How does she do it? How in the world does Anne Stuart have the talent to turn ANY man into a DESIRABLE man! I have been wanting to get my hand on this early work of Stuart's and was so happy when the "Famous First" line reprinted it. Although an early work of hers, the quality of her writing is there....I dare you to figure this story out before Stuart decide to just out right tell you!

Caution!!!! There is a strong, what I like to call, "ICK" factor in this book. Rachel believes that the man kn...more
Loralee
I tried to like this book, but I just couldn't. It just wasn't for me. I thought the heroine was too forgiving of the hero, and she fell for him way to quickly, especially when for half the book she thought he was her brother. I couldn't handle that she was attracted to him when she thought he was her brother. Even though the reader knew the truth from the get go, it still just didn't work for me. I also would have liked to know more about her brother, and the reasons why he ran.. I admit I may...more
Crissy declaro
This is one of her earlier works (1984) and was a little weird for me. Rachel thinks that the man at her family's vacation home in Hawaii is her long lost brother, however, you find out pretty quickly that the man is just pretending to be him in order to draw out the real Emmett. Rachel does NOT know until around halfway through the book. Not only does she start slowly falling into romantic love with her "brother", which wireds me out, he is also almost double her age. The age thing doesn't usua...more
Maha
Um, I felt strangely sick while reading this novel, even though the whole time I knew the two love birds weren't actually related. So you got a girl looking for her long lost brother and who she finds is a stranger posing as a her brother, except she thinks it's really her bro come back from hiding. Now, the sick part comes in when she starts having strong sexual feelings for him even though he's her brother and winds up acting on them. I just couldn't see the intended humor of the situation and...more
Michelle
My only hope is that new readers to Anne Stuart don't start with 'Tangled Lies'. Not only did I have everything figured out within the first few pages, there was no climax in this novel. The plot arc just ended up being flat. This novel left me with more questions than answers, and I wish Stuart would have explored each character a little more. The character of Uncle Harris just dropped out out of the book during the middle and never returned.

Before you read this book read Anne Stuarts 'Ice' Ser...more
Applefruit
As an older work by Anne Stuart, "Tangled Lies" shows its age. Stuart's writing was not quite the perfection it later became. I knew all about the pseudo-incestuous relationship (no, not real incest), so I didn't think it would gross me out so much...only, it DID. The problem is that the heroine thinks "Emmett" is her brother for nearly half the book. Also, the climax of the book is ridiculous and disappointing. Overall, this book is just okay. Save it for one of your very last Anne Stuart reads...more
Kathy Anne
Reread

Quite controversial because the h falls foe a guy she thinks is her brother,however it doesn`t go on long until he tells her-at their first kiss.Still he tries to keep his distance because his agenda is going to devestate her.

In the front of the book Anne says this is her 11th book and is one she really likes ,and it is a very good 5* book I think
penelopewanders
Feels every so slightly outdated, and the highly phobic heroine is a bit irritating, but on the whole this lets itself be read, and the tangles are nicely knotted and do lead to a few dead ends, so it's not too annoyingly predictable. Quick holiday read sort of thing.
Alicia
I didn't really have any reaction at all to this book. It was a bit boring, formulaic, and just so-so. It's probably because it's an old series romance and if I had read it 20 years ago, I probably would have thought it was fine. oh well.
Darla Stokes
Quick read to fill an old TBR challenge. Anne Stuart's always entertaining.

It would have been 4 stars for me if I hadn't been unsatisfied by how the revenge plot worked out in the end.
Michelle
Jan 23, 2012 Michelle added it
Shelves: owned
This was so bad (naughty) it was good! Wow! Completely unrepentant and semi-incestuous. Of course, I knew who her brother was almost immediately, but still!
Brenda Audiobooks Only
Narrated by Felicity Meyers - Narration

Narrator sounds good in the sample but without the heroes voice given??
Brittany B.
A scandalous oldie from Anne Stuart... I can't wait to get my hands on it!! :)
Lynn Calvin
Amazon preorder,Amazon received
Diana
Audiobook narrated by Felicity Myers
Andrea Prewitt
Andrea Prewitt marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Alex V.
Alex V. marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Itchy
Itchy is currently reading it
Apr 08, 2014
Ledi
Ledi added it
Mar 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Best Man
  • Cullen's Bride (March Madness) (Silhouette Intimate Moments, #914)
  • Nightfall
  • Tactical Deception (Silent Warrior, #2)
  • Breaking The Rules (Silhouette Intimate Moments, #587)
  • Whose Bed Is It Anyway?
  • Don't Look Back
  • Mistress of the Groom
  • A Not-So-Perfect Past
  • Catch Me
  • Virgin Territory
  • Guilty as Sin
  • Deceiving the Protector (Resurrection, #2)
  • Witness Seduction
  • Wild Encounter
  • The Dragon and the Pearl (Tang Dynasty, #2)
  • Edge of Survival
  • Undercover Lovers
Anne Stuart is a grandmaster of the genre, winner of Romance Writers of America's prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award, survivor of more than thirty-five years in the romance business, and still just keeps getting better.

Her first novel was Barrett's Hill, a gothic romance published by Ballantine in 1974 when Anne had just turned 25. Since then she's written more gothics, regencies, romantic sus...more
More about Anne Stuart...
Black Ice (Ice, #1) Ruthless (The House of Rohan, #1) Cold As Ice (Ice, #2) Reckless (The House of Rohan, #2) Ice Blue (Ice, #3)

“His head moved down, his mouth taking hers in a kiss that held the passion of a thousand years as his body molded against her trembling frame. His lips were hard and hungry as he fought against her resistance, and he pulled his head away for a moment, looking down into her desperate eyes with no pity at all. “Open your mouth, Rachel,” he said.
And closing her eyes, she did, sliding her helpless arms around his body, pulling him closer against her yearning form. Just once, she told herself. Just this once. And she gave herself up to the searching demand of his kiss.”
3 likes
“Ben scooped her up in his arms, holding her high against his chest as he carried her back into the cottage, past the shrouded, familiar shapes of the furniture into the night-dark bedroom. They were alone now for the first time. There was no Emmett, no Harris, no lies or masquerade or motives or revenge. There was just Ben and Rachel, together in the darkness.” 2 likes