Start by marking “Effective Immediately: How to Fit In, Stand Out, and Move Up at Your First Real Job” as Want to Read:

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  15 reviews
When you’re new to the workforce, ambition and talent aren’t enough—getting on the fast track to success requires much more.

If you’re a recent college graduate or new hire, Effective Immediately shows you how to excel at your first job and jump-start your career. As an up-and-coming professional, you’ll learn how to transform yourself from entry-level employee into skilled
Published April 13th 2010 by Ten Speed Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Effective Immediately, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Effective Immediately

surpriseitsnada
Interesting and informative, but some suggesions are outdated. This suggests arriving before 8 for a job that begins at 8:30. Not realistic orneccessary. Arrive on time or a few minutes early. It also suggests standing when an executive enters the room. Really? No one does this, outside of extremely unique and formal settings (i.e., welcoming forign dignitaries). There is some good advice in this book, with some of it being more realistic and practical than others.
Jessica Lawlor
Even though I recently hit my one year anniversary at my first real out of college job, for some reason, this book appealed to me anyway and I decided to pick it up. I really enjoy career books, and figured that even though this information is targeted at very new grads and professionals, the advice in the book could really apply to anyone looking to be better in their careers. And after finishing the book, I can say that this statement is 100 percent true. While this book was written for new pr ...more
Joshua Tuck
I was given this book upon being hired for a seasonal internship at the accounting firm Dixon-Hughes because the co-author, Emily Bennington, already worked there in marketing. The day after receiving this book in the mail, I attended a short talk at my graduate school by Mrs. Bennington, about personal branding and resumes/online presence. Meeting her only days before I was to begin my internship was very helpful and this book gave great advice for starting a new job.

Most of it is common sense
Avolyn Fisher
This book is filled with helpful "nuggets" that you will be glad you learned and want to remember for the future. Unfortunately 1/3 of the book is pure raw common sense. I guess I can't say that with 100% of the population as a broad over statement but for anyone who is familiar with the business world, read books, or had a decent amount of mentoring, it will be common sense. I don't regret reading the book and I will hold onto it for future reference for a few of the items but it was definitely ...more
Lisa
(Non-Fiction - Business - Career Development) Awesome book. Although it is marketed towards new college grads in their first real job, this book is a refreshing and empowering read for anyone beginning a new job. Regardless, any working professionals will enjoy the short chapters (1-3 pages) and wide array of tips for success.
Abdulaziz Alzain
This book is not only for the people on their first job, but it will make you effective immediately for your fourth and fifth job! A must read this book will make your boss and colleagues looking forward to work with you. So always be effective!
Sonya
WOW! Finally! A book that is very actionable, no b.s., and useful on starting a new job, or getting a promotion. I loved it! I recommend re-reading this book every time you get a new job or think about your next promotion.
Torpor
Oct 30, 2010 Torpor is currently reading it
Shelves: career
Talks about what to do what not to do in your first job. One can relate easily to things mentioned in the book for a beginner.
From coming to work on time to dinner etiquettes .. books has it all.
Section 20
Iyad Al Aqel
" Effective Immediately " will assure you a smooth transition from collage life to professional life. Practical tips for each day business situations . A must read for recent graduates .
Renee
Jul 18, 2012 Renee marked it as to-read
Shelves: career-advice
The author lead an awesome webinar at CareeRealism: http://www.careerealism.com/7-boss-da..., which makes me think this will be equally helpful.

Elaine
Mar 24, 2013 Elaine marked it as to-read
New culture, new world. How to adapt and find your place.

This book is in Birdsong 207.
BLACK CAT
General advice and tips on people skills and management for newbies.
Ayu
Great tips. Will read again in three months.
Raymond
I should buy one as reference. Very practical.
Karima Sundarji
Read it for work to train our newbies
Vânia
Vânia marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Oola Raisin
Oola Raisin marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Maegan Krohn
Maegan Krohn marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Adil Najmuddin
Adil Najmuddin marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Marina
Marina marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Adrienne
Adrienne marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Isa
Isa marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Elise
Elise marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
EMILY BENNINGTON is a frequent speaker on the topic of career success and has been featured on Fox Business, CNN, and ABC, and quoted in publications including the Wall Street Journal, New York Post, and Washington Post Express. She is a contributing writer for Monster.com, a featured blogger for The Huffington Post, Forbes Woman, and US News and World Report.
More about Emily Bennington...
Who Says It's a Man's World Who Says It's a Man's World: The Girl's Guide to Corporate Domination Who Says It's a Man's World: The Girls' Guide to Corporate Domination