Start by marking “Full Moon City” as Want to Read:
Full Moon City

Full Moon City (Kitty Norville #4.5 - Kitty Learns the Ropes)

DANGER LURKS IN THE HEART OF THE CITY . . . BUT NOT ALWAYS WHERE YOU EXPECT IT.

From New York to Los Angeles to Bucharest, fifteen never-before-published tales by some of the world’s finest fantasy and horror writers celebrate the newest incarnations of an age-old terror that strikes when the moon is full . . . the werewolf. No longer confined to the forests, these modern
Published March 9th 2010 by Pocket Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Full Moon City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Full Moon City

Carolyn F.
Anthology. I only read stories 1 through 6 so my rating is based only on those stories. 2.58 out of 5 stars.

1. The Truth About Werewolves by Lisa Tuttle. This story was very confusing. A woman is obsessed with werewolves, starts a support group to meet one, meets one who "changes" maybe, and then he tells her she's not the one he's looking for. It's like a story's beginning but now what? And how they become werewolves - he tells her she wouldn't understand. So there is really no "truth" at all
Bookwatcher
Hummmm, just read the book description....
******************************************************************
Celebrated fantasy author PETER S. BEAGLE tells a chillingly lyrical story of three Louisiana loup garoux locked into a deadly dance of death.
******************************************************************

Holy COW!!!!!!

A deadly dance of death!!! stupid me, thinking that a deadly dance could be something as "a deadly dance of sunshine" or "cute bunnies" nooooooooooo a deadly dance is of
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
I got this *just* for the Kitty story and I'm getting caught up on books I have before the last book comes out. I skimmed some of the other stories, but none caught my attention.
"Kitty Learns the Ropes"- very typical Kitty. I liked it, but it didn't really add anything to the series. It's one that could be skipped and nothing missed.
Darcy
I only read the Carrie Vaughn story set in the world of Kitty. It is a short story dealing with a character from her last book. Very cute and classic Kitty.
Creepystory
Oct 19, 2016 Creepystory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was good some of the stuff didn't make enough sense like the first chapter with lisa turtle Does Werewolves
astral project to a wolf soul or did Mel lie About being a lycanthrope because she was completely exposed to the full moon yet she drived away its good but its confusing
Alexia561
Oct 02, 2010 Alexia561 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's no secret that I love anthologies! And what could be better than a book full of werewolf stories? Almost nothing! One of the reasons I love anthologies so much is that I can revisit old favorites as well as discover new writers, and this collection was no exception. There are stories from some of my favorites, like Holly Black and Carrie Vaughn, and stories from new-to-me writers that I want to further explore.

Rather than dissect each story in this collection, I just want to touch on a few.
Kelly
Dec 23, 2016 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mixed bag of stories. Had to trudge through a lot of them. Highlights are Carrie Vaughn's "Kitty Learns the Ropes," "The Bank Job," and the final story. The others were rather disappointing.
Claire
Jul 11, 2010 Claire rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a bit hit and miss but there were some hidden gems in here that all in all make it a good buy in my opinion. Personally I enjoyed the short stories "The Truth About Werewolves," "Kitty Learns the Ropes", "No Children, No Pets", "The Bitch", "Weredog of Bucharest", "And Bob's Your Uncle", "The Bank Job" and "La Lune T'Attend" the most, they had a nice charm to them respectively and several of them had very new and interesting takes on the werewolf mythos ranging from a kind of sleep ...more
S.J. Bell
The theme of this anthology is "Werewolves in the big city", which is a bit of a problem. Besides a somewhat liberal interpretation of the term "big city", I get the feeling that someone at Simon and Schuster thinks this is a more clever concept than it actually is. Yes, in general, werewolves are associated with nature and wildness, and so you commonly find them in suburban and rural environments, where they can wolf out in peace. But a quick glance through the titles in my archive will reveal ...more
Gerd
May 04, 2016 Gerd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shapeshifters, ebook
A mixed bag of stories this is not the best antho that Greenberg edited.

While I did enjoy some of the stories a lot, the overall compilation feels lackluster compared to his former efforts and includes quite a few stories that can be described as being "filler" at best.

Story Title - Author (Not in Order of Appearance)

La Lune T'Attend - Beagle, Peter S.
The Aarne-Thompson Classification Revue - Black, Holly
The Bitch - Cacek, P. D.
No Children, No Pets - Friesner, Esther M.
The Bank Job - Frost, Greg
Rafaela Freitas
There are some good stories in this book. Some. And these are truly diamonds among coals. Most of them, however either bored me to tears or made me feel slightly sick and uneasy. Definitely not something to read before bed. So, instead of pushing myself to finish those tales, I simply skipped them.

It came to a point where the book sits gathering dust on my nightstand having migrated from top to bottom of the stack. I mean to finish it someday, of course, but I simply don't have the heart to pick
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Rating based on two of the fifteen stories.

"Kitty Learns the Ropes" by Carrie Vaughn ~ 2 stars
A throwaway story from the Kitty universe.

"The Aarne-Thompson Classification Revue" by Holly Black ~ 4 stars
A slightly surreal story about a werewolf girl struggling with her nature and her growing acceptance of her new self as she auditions and performs in a strange but liberating theatrical show.

Favourite quote: "Good is forgettable. Good is common. You are not good. You will show everyone what you a
Susan
May 17, 2011 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full Moon City had some great stories in it, and it also had a few that I didn't really care for. I honestly bought this anthology so that I could read Carrie Vaughn's "Kitty Learns the Ropes" which was another excellent addition to the Kittyverse. I also enjoyed P.D. Cacek's "The Bitch," Ron Goulart's "I Was A Middle Age Werewolf," and Gregory Frost's "The Bank Job." If you like werewolves and a mixture of horror, humor, and wolves, then you may enjoy this anthology.
Lauma Klintsone
I am generally not easily impressed by short stories, and I found these to be rather mediocre. If I'm to pick 3 favourites, they would be 'The Truth About Werewolves' for the believable psychology of a slightly desperate and entirely normal lonely woman, 'No Children, No Pets' which, despite not making me believe in the main heroine much, made me laugh a couple of times, and 'Country Mothers' Sons' for its wonderfully constructed mood. The last one mentioned was probably my overall favourite.
Rene
Apr 17, 2013 Rene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, signed
I got this book for the Carrie Vaughn story. Kitty was amazing as usual. There were some stories that left me with what am I reading moments. But some were light and funny for a fun read. I will be checking these other authors out to add them to my collection to reads. Mike Resnick, I believe I have read some of his stuff before and will be reading more. P.D. Cacek, great story. Ron Goulart great fun read.
Sarah Dizon
"The Truth About Werewolves" by Lisa Tuttle 3 stars.
"Innocent" by Gene Wolfe 4 stars for being creepy.
"Kitty Learns the Ropes" by Carrie Vaughn 4 stars, enjoyable.
"No Children, No Pets" by Esther M. Friesner 2 stars.
"Sea Warg" by Tanith Lee, 3 stars.
"Country Mother's Son" by Holly Phillips 1 star, couldn't finish.
"A Most Unusual Greyhound" by Mike Resnick 2 stars, meh.

I didn't even bother reading the rest, I wasn't that impressed. I might go back to read Holly Black's story.
Melanie
Jul 09, 2010 Melanie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a huge fan of short stories, this book was ok but nothing spectacular. There was 2 stories (Carrie Vaughn and Holly Black)that I appreciated but that was it.

Not something I'd recommend to read to others less one of their favourite authors has added to it, if you have nothing else then give it a go but don't expect it to move any moutains!!
Michelle Tempted By Books
This review is only for the Kitty Norville short, Kitty Learns the Ropes by Carrie Vaughn. In this story Kitty's friend Jenna wants to expose a popular boxer for a Werewolf. She takes Kitty along to help and so both of them can get the story. As with any Kitty story, things go bad and Kitty needs to rain it in. It was pretty good.
Angela
There were 2-3 stories in here that were amazing. I found one highly creepy (Gene Wolfe) and two fun (Carrie Vaughn and the one with the little girl werewolf - sorry I don't have the book with me, I'll adjust the review later with the author's name). Otherwise, a lot of the stories didn't really grip me.
E.
Jan 03, 2011 E. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
A collection of tales that address the darker side of the mythos that surrounds werewolves. Quite a few deal with the death and destruction perpetrated by those who are unable to rein in their vicious natures that completely submerge human mores. A different view of the child that lives in the Plaza Hotel as well as the question of the advantage conferred to one who is participating in sports.
James Howald
As usual with collections, some good, some not so good. But I'm glad I read it. I'm interested in werewolf stories, so that helps. I especially liked Lisa Tuttle's "The Truth About Werewolves" It's a story about a young woman who has a fascination with werewolfs and wants to join them. She finds a way to meet some and it's not quite what you'd expect, but very realistic.
Amber Decker
This anthology of werewolf tales was the usual mixed bag one gets from pretty much any anthology. Some pieces were excellent, others fair and some just fell flat. But overall, I would recommend this book to those who are dedicated fans of the werewolf genre.
Vicki Jaeger
I read this for another Kitty Norville story by Carrie Vaughn. It takes place sometime after Kitty and the Silver Bullet and before Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand, about a boxer who may or may not be a werewolf.
Cyn Armistead
May 23, 2010 Cyn Armistead rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This anthology balanced out more to the good than most that I've read lately - or maybe I've just read some real suckers?
Ron
Jul 06, 2010 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good collection of werewolf stories. Friesner's combination of werewolf and Eloise had me laughing out loud!
Nepsy Ucag
Dec 03, 2012 Nepsy Ucag rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So full of thrillers, suspense and supernatural killing vamps and werewolves!
Kerry O'Dea
Dec 27, 2013 Kerry O'Dea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like any of these stories. Started and didn't finish most of them. I definitely don't recommend this book.
Kitty White
Jul 25, 2013 Kitty White rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-a-copy
This book is hard to rate since some of the short stories were amazing, others just "meh", and a few that made me want to gouge my eyes out.
Karen
Aug 13, 2012 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't love everything in this collection, but Esther Friesner's story was an absolute delight.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Werewolves and Shape Shifters: Encounters with the Beasts Within
  • The Dragon Done It
  • The Mammoth Book Of Paranormal Romance 2
  • The Mammoth Book of Wolf Men
  • Wolf's Gambit (Wolf Cycle, #2)
  • Ancestral Shadows: An Anthology of Ghostly Tales
  • Modern Classics of Fantasy
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • The House on the Borderland
  • Shapeshifter
  • The Ultimate Werewolf
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • The Werewolf's Kiss (Voodoo Moon, #1)
  • Strip Mauled
Darrell Schweitzer is an American writer, editor, and essayist in the field of speculative fiction. Much of his focus has been on dark fantasy and horror, although he does also work in science fiction and fantasy.

Schweitzer is also a prolific writer of literary criticism and editor of collections of essays on various writers within his preferred genres.
More about Darrell Schweitzer...

Kitty Norville (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville #1)
  • Kitty Goes to Washington (Kitty Norville, #2)
  • Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville, #3)
  • Kitty and the Silver Bullet (Kitty Norville, #4)
  • Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand (Kitty Norville, #5)
  • Kitty Raises Hell (Kitty Norville, #6)
  • Kitty's House of Horrors (Kitty Norville, #7)
  • Kitty Goes to War (Kitty Norville, #8)
  • Kitty's Big Trouble (Kitty Norville, #9)
  • Kitty Steals the Show (Kitty Norville, #10)