Start by marking “Driven to Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Driven to Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #3)

Driven to Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery #3)

The latest in the cleverly designed tattoo shop mystery series.

Brett Kavanaugh is a tattoo artist and owner of Vegas's hottest tattoo shop, The Painted Lady. And in her spare time, she does some sleuthing. After discovering the corpse of a Dean Martin impersonator-sporting a spider web tattoo and a clip cord from a tattoo machine wrapped around his neck-Brett infiltrate
Published September 7th 2010 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about Driven to Ink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Driven to Ink

Wendy
Jan 01, 2011 Wendy rated it really liked it
In this third installment of A Tattoo Shop Mystery, series our meddling tattoo artist and shop owner, Brett Kavanaugh, finds a dead body in the trunk of her car. The body looks an awful lot like Dean Martin. She'd recently loaned her car to friends for their drive-through wedding, and now with the elderly bride and groom missing, all sorts of thoughts--and fears--are running through Brett's mind. Despite her brother's advice that she leave the investigation to the police, Brett, joined by the br ...more
Marlyn
Sep 27, 2010 Marlyn rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, cozies
Brett Kavanaugh is a tattoo artist who owns an upscale shop called The Painted Lady in Las Vegas.

She lends her car to Sylvia Coleman and Bernie Applebaum, so they can get married at a drive-in wedding chapel. They're so elderly that she's doubly surprised to find a dead body in the trunk when they return it.

The body belongs to a Dean Martin impersonator who worked at the chapel where the couple were wed, and there's a clip cord from a tattoo machine around it's neck. When she tries to reach Sy
Jess
Jun 13, 2010 Jess rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2010
I always feel like these books are "off the beaten path" of mysteries. Yes there is usually a dead body that's found a murder that needs to be solved, but the characters and the process in which the crime is solved feels unique to me. I will definitely read the next in the series.
Lori Whitwam
Sep 12, 2010 Lori Whitwam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still good, still amusing, still good mystery plots (if a few too many in the cast of suspicious characters)... But I really hope the characters evolve at least a bit in #4.
Spuddie
Feb 14, 2011 Spuddie rated it liked it
#3 in the Tattoo shop mysteries featuring Brett Kavanaugh, owner of the Painted Lady tattoo salon in Las Vegas. Brett kindly loans her red Mustang convertible to an elderly friend who is getting married--they are using one of the drive-through wedding chapels in Vegas and wanted something more classy than Sylvia's battered Gremlin. The morning after, Brett returns from a trip to Red Rocks where she does some hiking--only to discover a body in the trunk--dead as a doornail, with a dead rat undern ...more
Susan
Dec 29, 2013 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-adult
Not everyone knows this about me, but every now and then I like to dabble in mystery reading, and I couldn't *not* pick this book up when I saw it. At this point, haven't we seen just about every manifestation of niche mystery/amateur detective series out there? Cats, Amish, paranormal, Elizabethan, cooking--you name it. This one is from Olson's Tattoo Shop mystery series, features a tattoo artist (and heavily tattooed) redhead protagonist named Brett Kavanagh, and is set in Vegas, need I say mo ...more
thegirlinpink
May 19, 2011 thegirlinpink rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chic-lit, mystery
What’s it about? Driven to Ink is the third installment of the Tattoo shop Mystery books by Karen E. Olson. Again Brett Kavanaugh returns as amateur sleuth/ full time tattoo artist in the streets of Sin City.

The story starts with Brett finding a corpse in her truck of her car, the same car she loaned to a fellow tattoo artist for a drive-thru wedding. Not only is Brett the primary suspect but the newly weds are missing! In order to clear her name and find her friends Brett and Jeff Coleman begi
Rachel Kramer Bussel
Sep 24, 2010 Rachel Kramer Bussel rated it it was amazing
For the third time, Las Vegas tattoo artist managers to get herself mixed up with dead bodies, this time in page one of Karen E. Olson's latest tattoo shop mystery. After lending her car to elderly couple Sylvia and Bernie, friends of her rival tattoo artist and pal Jeff Coleman, she finds a dead body in her trunk with a That's Amore tattoo, plus a dead rat. The corpse was one of several Dean Martin impersonators at, yes, a wedding chapel called That's Amore, and she soon winds up immersed in ye ...more
Ami
Jan 19, 2012 Ami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I think book # in the Tattoo Shop Mystery is my favorite so far for several reasons.

It starts with a bang, because right from the first chapter, Brett finds a dead body in the trunk of her car, which had previously been borrowed by her friend, Jeff's mother. Then, it's all fast-paced plot from there. There are Dean Martin impersonators being killed, Sylvia (Jeff's mother) and her husband missing, and there someone SHOOTING (!) on Brett and Jeff.

I love how Brett and Tim (her brother) teaming up
Stacy
Jan 20, 2013 Stacy rated it really liked it
Is there anything more Vegas than competing drive-through wedding chapels, one side serenading Dean Martins and across the street singing Elvis’s? I do love the setting for this series. The Strip and it’s underbelly really does feel like a main character.

Brett is just as strong and nosy as ever and I still admire her spunk. The love interest that dumped her at the end of the last book is back and the spark is rekindled, only that doesn’t mean it will work out, there are other possibilites.

I love
Meg Fee
Dec 11, 2011 Meg Fee rated it really liked it
I continue to enjoy this book series. Brett hits a bump in the road and hears a weird thump as something hits the ceiling of her trunk. She opens it to see what she forgot to bring in from the grocery store and discovers... a dead Dean Martin, a Dean Martin impersonator actually, this is Vegas after all. Once again Brett becomes involved in solving a murder. It's incredible just how many times she finds connections to the murder in her life beyond finding the body. I won't spoil the surprise but ...more
Kerste
May 15, 2011 Kerste rated it liked it
Recommends it for: wild tattoo mystery fans
I'm sorta over this series. It's a little daunting that the story occurs at such a wild rate and once the journey begins, it seems that everything in Brett's life has to revolve around whatever mystery she's mixed up in. I continue to be curious about her and Jeff Coleman, even though Colin Bixby makes his second appearance in this book. I mean, really, Colin...Bixby. She should dismiss him out of hand just because of his name, I don't care how hawt he is. And he lives down the hall from his mom ...more
Brett
Aug 29, 2011 Brett rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Brett Kavanaugh keeps running into tattooed criminals in Las Vegas - not that surprising when you think about it. This time around, Brett loans her beloved Mustang Bullitt to friend Sylvia Coleman to use for driving through a Dean Martin-themed wedding chapel. It comes back with a body in the trunk, & no one can locate Sylvia & her new husband. The body, an employee at the "That's Amore" wedding chapel, appears to have been strangled with a part from a tattoo machine. Of course Brett fee ...more
Barbara ★
Tattoo artist Brett Kavanaugh does more detecting than tattooing. She is always in the wrong place at the wrong time. In this installment, she loans her car to Sylvia so she can get married at one of those drive-thru wedding chapels in Vegas. Only problem is the dead body in the trunk when she returns the car. Of course it being Brett's car, Brett is insatiable in her desire to find out why some dude from the wedding chapel wound up in her trunk. A lot of mixups and shenanigans later, Brett solv ...more
Nora-adrienne
Dec 26, 2010 Nora-adrienne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: cozies
Brett Kavanaugh is a trouble magnet. She just falls into situations that other people couldn't even imagine. As Vegas' top go to person for custom tattoos, she meets some of the most interesting people in the world.

This time out, she loans her car to a friends mother to use for her drive through wedding, and she gets it back with a dead boy in it. From there it's just one roller coaster ride after another.

With car chases, people getting run over, and lots of shooting she barely gets out of thi
Erin
Feb 27, 2013 Erin rated it liked it
This third installment in the Tattoo shop mysteries was a quick read, although I felt there were too many possibilities considered by the main characters. Although I like the idea of the tattoo setting, Brett doesn't quite feel real to me..her attraction to fellow tat artist Jeff Coleman is obvious to everyone but herself and her puppy crush on Dr Bixby seems contrived. He also doesn't seem like a real person either. Coleman is the only character that seems to be realistic enough to play out in ...more
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
The writing is excellent as usual, the characters are entertaining and the mystery is not so easy to figure out.

In this installment we see the tentative beginnings of a friendship with Jeff and the return of Colin Bixby.

I absolutely dig Jeff, so I'm pretty happy that he gets a lot of page time. I did find Brett a bit of a baby at times but Bitsy and Joel helped to round that out.

Anyway, solid writing, great characters and kick-ass bad guys. Did I mention Sylvia? Sylvia kicks ass as well.
Vickie
Jul 23, 2012 Vickie rated it it was amazing
Brett Cavanaugh cannot catch a break away from dead bodies. This time there's one in the trunk of her beloved Mustang. The Mustang that her friend Sylvia Coleman borrowed to get hitched at the drive-thru wedding chapel known as That's Amore.
Brett's admonished to not get involved, but she can't help but to help her friends.

A fun cozy series. I love Las Vegas anyway so the setting is perfect and makes it fun to revisit the city through the author's eyes. I would love to visit Brett's shop, The Pa
Gail
Mar 16, 2011 Gail rated it really liked it
Brett Kavanaugh is a high end tattoo artist in Las Vegas, living with her cop brother. She loans her car to an octogenarian friend, also a tattoo artist, for her drive through wedding. They return the car in good condition, including a body in the trunk. With only a "That's Amore" tattoo on the victim as a clue, curious and gutsy Kavanaugh proceeds to follow clues to locate her newlywed friend and the murderer.

Very funny scenes in drive through wedding chapels including a war between a Dean Mart
Jenn C
Dec 19, 2014 Jenn C rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, read-2015
Driven to Ink is Karen E. Olson's third outing with Brett and the gang and it's fast-paced and entertaining. I loved being along for the ride! As usual, Brett finds herself in the middle of things when she discovers a body in the truck of her car - and (of course) has to do some snooping on the side.
Book Blooger  Reviews
well I liked these books up to now. I dong like how a good books plot can just stay the same in every series and every book in that series. I mean Brett sees something and starts a mystery search of finding out who the killer is while tattooing people along the way. the first two books were great but once you see a pattern in the plots you get bored because you know who the killer is sooner.
Wendy
Aug 11, 2010 Wendy rated it really liked it
Had a harder time getting into this book than I did the previous couple. Overall it was an enjoyable read. Almost too much going on, but it all came together in the end. I do like the path that Brett and Jeff's relationship is taking.
Cathryn Ferrara
Jun 25, 2012 Cathryn Ferrara rated it really liked it
Entertaining cozy I have really grown to like this series. The characters are odd and fun and the plots convoluted but entertaining. This hit connected to a drive though wedding chapel featuring Dean Martin impersonators and some strange family connections. Light and easy this was fun to read.
Ari Eris
Dec 29, 2014 Ari Eris rated it liked it
Heheheheh, these books are so much fun. I figured out the identity of the killer sooner than I did in the previous novels but this book was still a hoot. If only there were a hundred of these, I could read about Brett till the end of time. Recommended for a light, quick read.
Cat
Aug 07, 2010 Cat rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Really liked it. I liked that it kept you in suspense until literally the last few pages. I enjoyed the relationship with Jay and and everyone asking about them. I have the next in the series all ready to go.
Melodie
Mar 18, 2010 Melodie rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010
I LOVE this series! It's a little offbeat with some quirky characters. In this one Brett finds the body of a Dean Martin look-alike in her trunk after loaning it to a friend to use for her "drive-thru" wedding at That's Amore Drive Thru Wedding Chapel!
Valerie K
Jun 24, 2012 Valerie K rated it liked it
Overall, this was an easy read and kinda cute. I'd be interested in reading the rest of the series since I typically do my reading before bed and the chapters are nice and short and the reading is pretty light.
Liz Hoffman
Jan 06, 2016 Liz Hoffman rated it really liked it
This series started great & while I liked this one more than the 2nd book...they all fall a little short. There's the annoying potential love connections that never go anywhere and all the characters don't quite stand out enough.
Tom
May 06, 2016 Tom rated it really liked it
Great series
Traci_wom
Dec 16, 2010 Traci_wom rated it it was ok
Fast-paced story, but it was just okay. By the end, I didn't really care who the murderer was.
  • Scoop to Kill (A Mystery a La Mode, #2)
  • Skating Around the Law (Rebecca Robbins, #1)
  • Stay Tuned for Murder (Talk Radio Mystery, #3)
  • The Proof is in the Pudding (A Della Cooks Mystery #3)
  • Third Degree (A Murder 101 Mystery, #5)
  • How to Crash a Killer Bash (Party Planning, #2)
  • Night of the Living Dandelion (A Flower Shop Mystery, #11)
  • Motherhood is Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #2)
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Die Buying (A Mall Cop Mystery, #1)
  • All the Wrong Moves (Samantha Spade #1)
  • Eggsecutive Orders (A White House Chef Mystery, #3)
  • Plaster and Poison (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #3)
  • Lead-Pipe Cinch (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #2)
  • Make, Take, Murder (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #5)
  • Arsenic and Old Paint (An Art Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • Goodbye, Dolly (Gretchen Birch, #2)
I am the author of the Black Hat Thrillers and the Annie Seymour and Tattoo Shop mystery series.

My new suspense series, which Kirkus Reviews calls "electrifying," begins with HIDDEN, It features a computer hacker who has been hiding in plain sight on Block Island off the coast of Rhode Island until her past finally catches up to her. The second in the series, SHADOWED, and third, BETRAYED, are als
More about Karen E. Olson...

Tattoo Shop Mystery (4 books)
  • The Missing Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Pretty in Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Ink Flamingos (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #4)