Start by marking “Why Dogs Eat Poop, and Other Useless or Gross Information About the Animal Kingdom” as Want to Read:

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A third installment in the delightfully disgusting miscellany series that began with the national bestseller, Why You Shouldn't Eat Your Boogers and Other Useless or Gross Information About Your Body.

In the New York Times (extended list) bestseller Why You Shouldn't Eat Your Boogers and Other Useless or Gross Information About Your Body, Francesca Gould uncovered everyth
Published June 10th 2010 by Tarcher (first published May 26th 2010)

Be the first to ask a question about Why Dogs Eat Poop, and Other Useless or Gross Information About the Animal Kingdom

Chris
In this book I learned several rather disgusting things about animals.

1. There are remote controlled cockroaches.
2. A spider doesn't have a penis.
3. Squirrels are smarter than they look.
4. So are sheep.
5. There is a reason cats don't like water.
6. Dogs are smarter than cats.
7. A female fossa has a fake penis.
8. The animal world seems to hover around poo.
9. A spider bites off its not penis.
10. The Russians didn't do a good job of training dogs to blow up tanks.
11. Harpy Eagles are awesome.

At time
Mary (BookHounds)

Books of this type are among my most favorite! I can watch Animal Planet for hours and read trivia books to no end, so this brings together my two favorite things: trivia and fact about animals. This would make a great gift for animal lovers who like that "ewww-- gross" learning experience. Unfortunately, there is no firm answer on why dogs eat poop, but there many theories though in the section on this question.
Angie Lisle
An interesting book filled with disgusting and weird facts about animals. My only problem is a lack of citation and sources - I have no way of knowing if anything in this book is true, unless I hunt down and ask an expert.
Philip Cook
I thought this was a great read. It obviously was not a novel or biography, but rather a listing of unique items within the animal kingdom. Each "story" averaged about a page long. All of the stories are interesting to read, and many of the stories made me want to go out and get a random pet based solely on the cool stories about them. A few examples include, why electric companies employ vultures, what happens when you cut an earthworm in half, which animal feeds itself to it's young, and of co ...more
Rebecca Lee
This book has many interesting facts for you to read about the animal kingdom. Many of it is new to me therefore has increased my knowledge and changed my view of the animals that we see around us and those all over the world. It basically tells us about what the animals do in their daily lives and what their special features can be used for. There are 8 chapters in the book each representing the different categories that and questiions on different animals. Wonderful facts that one may never ev ...more
Lucy Weaver
I wish they had included a list of sources. I'm really enjoying reading about all the weird, cool things that animals do, and the books is written with vivid, colorful language. However, as someone who's read a lot of primary research on animal behavior, I saw some unfortunately misleading information that makes me wonder just how thorough their research was...
This book was both entertaining and educational. However, I was very disappointed with the explanation of why dogs eat poop. They presented several theories but nothing definitive.
Krista
Interesting book filled with random animal facts - I'd consider this a "bathroom book" where you read a little bit at a time. It's a tough read if you attempt to read it like a novel.
Dale
The single most useful piece of information I will ever know?...Penguins can expel poop a distance of 18 inches away from their bodies. That's valuable info in any situation.
Jessica Wilhoite
This book was okay - not really a cover-to-cover read; just a bunch of interesting facts. This was kind of a read-what-parts-you-want type of book.
Britta
good light reading. pretty funny and i actually learned some random bits of interesting information.
Jerry Teipen
Some mindless reading. Interesting facts about the animal kingdom.
Gabriella
Fascinating and informative, I learned so many fun things!
Perkimom
Fun and interesting new tidbits to learn about.
Nicholas Scott
Nicholas Scott is currently reading it
Oct 10, 2014
Connie Dreifuerst
Connie Dreifuerst marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Caterina
Caterina marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Gene
Gene marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Maggie
Maggie is currently reading it
May 13, 2014
Lindsey Baldwin
Lindsey Baldwin marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Stephanie Ann
Stephanie Ann is currently reading it
Mar 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Why You Shouldn't Eat Your Boogers and Other Useless or Gross Information About Your Body Why Fish Fart and Other Useless Or Gross Information About the World Why Is Yawning Contagious?: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About The Human Body   And Some Things You'd Rather Not Why You Shouldn't Eat Your Boogers: Gross but True Things You Don't Want to Know About Your Body Why Fish Fart: Gross but True Things You'll Wish You Didn't Know