Start by marking “Why Dogs Eat Poop, and Other Useless or Gross Information About the Animal Kingdom” as Want to Read:

Why Dogs Eat Poop, and Other Useless or Gross Information About the Animal Kingdom (Why)

A third installment in the delightfully disgusting miscellany series that began with the national bestseller, Why You Shouldn't Eat Your Boogers and Other Useless or Gross Information About Your Body.

In the New York Times (extended list) bestseller Why You Shouldn't Eat Your Boogers and Other Useless or Gross Information About Your Body, Francesca Gould uncovered everyth
Published June 10th 2010 by Tarcher (first published May 26th 2010)

Be the first to ask a question about Why Dogs Eat Poop, and Other Useless or Gross Information About the Animal Kingdom

Chris
Oct 12, 2010 Chris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science, animals
In this book I learned several rather disgusting things about animals.

1. There are remote controlled cockroaches.
2. A spider doesn't have a penis.
3. Squirrels are smarter than they look.
4. So are sheep.
5. There is a reason cats don't like water.
6. Dogs are smarter than cats.
7. A female fossa has a fake penis.
8. The animal world seems to hover around poo.
9. A spider bites off its not penis.
10. The Russians didn't do a good job of training dogs to blow up tanks.
11. Harpy Eagles are awesome.

At time
Mary (BookHounds)

Books of this type are among my most favorite! I can watch Animal Planet for hours and read trivia books to no end, so this brings together my two favorite things: trivia and fact about animals. This would make a great gift for animal lovers who like that "ewww-- gross" learning experience. Unfortunately, there is no firm answer on why dogs eat poop, but there many theories though in the section on this question.
Peacegal
While this book doesn't offer a concrete explanation of why dogs eat poop--or even better, how we can get our own dogs to stop--it does offer up plenty of weird and yes, gross facts about nature. The young audience to whom this book is directed will enjoy it and learn something, too.

The only complaint I have is the cold, utilitarian view of other beings that the author occasionally takes. At one point, the book describes experiments in which animals' brains are wired to in essence make them liv
Rebecca Lee
Nov 06, 2010 Rebecca Lee rated it it was amazing
This book has many interesting facts for you to read about the animal kingdom. Many of it is new to me therefore has increased my knowledge and changed my view of the animals that we see around us and those all over the world. It basically tells us about what the animals do in their daily lives and what their special features can be used for. There are 8 chapters in the book each representing the different categories that and questiions on different animals. Wonderful facts that one may never ev ...more
Philip Cook
Feb 14, 2011 Philip Cook rated it really liked it
I thought this was a great read. It obviously was not a novel or biography, but rather a listing of unique items within the animal kingdom. Each "story" averaged about a page long. All of the stories are interesting to read, and many of the stories made me want to go out and get a random pet based solely on the cool stories about them. A few examples include, why electric companies employ vultures, what happens when you cut an earthworm in half, which animal feeds itself to it's young, and of co ...more
Ruth Ann
While I admit I learned some interesting facts, I am disappointed with this book from a librarian's point of view. I don't think kids will be attracted to this book once they open it up. Yes, the cover and title will attract them, but when they start to read they might just stop! Aside from two illustrations at the beginning of each chapter, no other pictures or illustrations are included. I think the authors could have done so much more!!!
Samuel
Feb 09, 2015 Samuel rated it really liked it
This book was rather good--it was good as a bathroom book for me anyway. It was broken up into short sections for easy and short reading sections. It did start to get really repetitive though. There are far more facts about spiders and insects performing horrific stunts than anything else. Also, readers beware, this book is not for the faint of heart as it categorizes some of Earth's deadliest acts.

4 out of 5!
Lucy Weaver
Jan 20, 2012 Lucy Weaver rated it it was ok
I wish they had included a list of sources. I'm really enjoying reading about all the weird, cool things that animals do, and the books is written with vivid, colorful language. However, as someone who's read a lot of primary research on animal behavior, I saw some unfortunately misleading information that makes me wonder just how thorough their research was...
Les Wolf
Nov 19, 2015 Les Wolf rated it really liked it
The title suggests something rather different from the contents. A book filled with interesting facts about the curious behaviors and characteristics of various members of the animal kingdom. Informative, enlightening, and often surprising. I graded the book down for poor editing and because, in the case of curious critters, my expectation of photographs went unfulfilled.
Angie Lisle
Jul 26, 2011 Angie Lisle rated it liked it
An interesting book filled with disgusting and weird facts about animals. My only problem is a lack of citation and sources - I have no way of knowing if anything in this book is true, unless I hunt down and ask an expert.
PWRL
May 27, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
O
Amanda
Nov 09, 2013 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-vrc
Great disgusting facts sure to delight elementary and middle school readers
Krista
Mar 29, 2011 Krista rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, dogs
Interesting book filled with random animal facts - I'd consider this a "bathroom book" where you read a little bit at a time. It's a tough read if you attempt to read it like a novel.
Mar 20, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction-read
This book was both entertaining and educational. However, I was very disappointed with the explanation of why dogs eat poop. They presented several theories but nothing definitive.
Britta
Mar 20, 2011 Britta rated it liked it
Shelves: nature
good light reading. pretty funny and i actually learned some random bits of interesting information.
Iliana
Jun 06, 2015 Iliana rated it really liked it
Fun, interesting, quick read.
Perkimom
Sep 03, 2013 Perkimom rated it liked it
Fun and interesting new tidbits to learn about.
Kelly K
Jan 03, 2014 Kelly K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I was mostly amused by the fact that there are a few species of snakes that fart to scare away predators and that penguins can shoot their poo a distance of up to 16 inches.
Jessica Wilhoite
Jul 11, 2011 Jessica Wilhoite rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
This book was okay - not really a cover-to-cover read; just a bunch of interesting facts. This was kind of a read-what-parts-you-want type of book.
Dale
Oct 28, 2010 Dale rated it liked it
The single most useful piece of information I will ever know?...Penguins can expel poop a distance of 18 inches away from their bodies. That's valuable info in any situation.
Jenn
Jenn rated it really liked it
May 24, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2012
Alex
Alex rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2012
Tori
Tori rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2013
Meghan
Meghan rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2016
Julia
Julia rated it it was ok
Mar 20, 2012
Yuxuan
Yuxuan rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2011
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2012
Jacqueline115
Jacqueline115 rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Ubiquitous: Celebrating Nature's Survivors
  • The Manga Guide to Molecular Biology
  • Hippos Can't Swim and Other Fun Facts (Did You Know?, #1)
  • Biology: Life as We Know It!
  • Superdove: How the Pigeon Took Manhattan ... And the World
  • Animals Behaving Badly: Boozing Bees, Cheating Chimps, Dogs with Guns, and Other Beastly True Tales
  • Falcon
  • Curious Critters
  • The Stuff of Life: A Graphic Guide to Genetics and DNA
  • Prehistoric Life: The Definitive Visual History of Life on Earth
  • Dog House: A Love Story
  • The Dolphins of Shark Bay
  • The Body Owner's Handbook (Horrible Science)
  • Rules to Rock By
  • Planet Earth: What Planet Are You On? (Basher Science)
  • What If You Had Animal Hair?
  • Heavy Metal Pulp: Pleasure Model (Netherworld, #1)
  • When Lunch Fights Back: Wickedly Clever Animal Defenses

Why (4 books)
  • Why You Shouldn't Eat Your Boogers and Other Useless or Gross Information About Your Body
  • Why Fish Fart and Other Useless Or Gross Information About the World
  • Why Is Yawning Contagious?: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About The Human Body   And Some Things You'd Rather Not