Blazing Combat

Blazing Combat

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The legendary anti-war comic, now in paperback. Written by Archie Goodwin and drawn by such luminaries as Frank Frazetta, Wally Wood, John Severin, Alex Toth, Al Williamson, Russ Heath, Reed Crandall, and Gene Colan, Blazing Combat was originally published by independent comics publisher James Warren in 1965 and ’66. Following in the tradition of Harvey Kurtzman’s Two-Fist...more
Published May 25th 2010 by Fantagraphics (first published April 29th 2009)

Rick
Following the success of their EC-inspired horror anthology Creepy , publisher James Warren and editor Archie Goodwin began Blazing Combat in 1965. The new magazine employed a similar format, using many of the same artists of the previous Warren publication -- Joe Orlando, Reed Crandall, John Severin, Al Williamson, Gray Morrow, Russ Heath, Alex Toth, and Wally Wood. Like Creepy, Blazing Combat also featured Frank Frazetta covers, and Goodwin scripts in a magazine format. But unlike its predeces...more
Matti Karjalainen
Jul 27, 2011 Matti Karjalainen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Matti by: Ilkka Leinonen
Sotasarjakuvan ehdotonta eliittiä edustava "Blazing Combat" (Fantagraphics, 2010) sisältää samannimisen lehden neljä numeroa, jotka ilmestyivät 1960-luvun puolivälissä Warren-kustantamon toimesta. Lehden lyhyet, mustavalkoiset sarjakuvanovellit käsittelivät rujon realistisesti sotaa niin maalla, merellä kuin ilmassakin, ja sen antisankarin viittaa usein kantavat henkilöt osallistuivat niin Yhdysvaltain vapaus- ja sisällissotaan, molempiin maailmansotiin, Korean sotaan ja jopa harvemmin kuvattuun...more
Chris
The title of this one almost made me skip it. But when I read the synopsis, I realized that it was definitely worth a look. Anytime a comic book is banned on US Military bases, I'm at least curious.

This is a collection of all four issues of "Blazing Combat", a military-themed action/adventure comic series. The stories vary widely in setting and time period; it features Vietnam, Korea, WWII, WWI, the Spanish-American War, the Western Indian Wars, the Civil War, and the American Revolution. Some o...more
Tony
As someone who's not a comics buff, I'd never heard of Blazing Combat until I stumbled across this book's arresting pop art cover in the library. Since I like graphic storytelling and military history, I picked it up and took it home. If you're familiar with the four original comic books (or rather "magazines," as this title was published) which appeared over the course of ten months in 1965-66, then you know what to expect. If you never saw those, then you're in for a treat, 'cause here are uns...more
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
This is an excellent book and I would argue it should appeal to anyone interested in social history of the 60s and in "Pop Art" for reasons that would become obvious very quickly. The book is a compilation of all the stories that were published in "Blazing Combat) during the mid-60s. There were only four publications since the US military successfully established an embargo on the sales of the comics due to their unromantic and "unpatriotic" depiction of war (in particular, the story "Landscape"...more
Robert
The great thing about reading books that have been banned is that we have the freedom to read them. Not that these comics were necessarily banned. They were however canceled after a very short run due to the anti-war nature of the stories. This during the Vietnam war times when this type of sentiment was not taken with a very popular view by those in charge. The odd thing is that the stories are more of a war is hell than anti-war stance. The stories themselves are good, and the artwork is also...more
Canard Frère
Compilation des planches d'un vieux magazine de BD consacré aux histoires de guerre, mais qui les traitaient sous un angle très pessimiste. Quelques unes sont tout juste passables, mais d'autres parviennent à faire passer un message pacifiste étonnant pour l'époque (milieu des années 60). Le ton contribua fortement à la chute du titre, les grossistes ayant fini par censurer la publication et étouffer l'éditeur.
Jamil
it may be that war comics are not my thing. (preferring Jack Kirby's The Losers to these well regarded, serious war stories, probably means I am a philistine.) i kinda flipped thru this book with marked disinterest, except for the bits illustrated by ALEX TOTH! those were keen.

George Marshall
The big weakness is the writing by Archie Goodwin. Yes, Blazing Combat was a daring change in war comics and dealt with the horrors of war in a new and more realistic way, but Goodwin's writing is rather one-note and, when presented with back to back stories, starts to tire. That being said, the book is nicely produced and contains a roster of many of the best artists of the time.
Matt Maxwell
Absolutely essential collection of anti-war short comics from Archie Goodwin and more grand master artists than you can count. The stories themselves are all very much in the EC/O.Henry vein and don't always deliver, but with the art and storytelling as good as it is, that's not much of an issue.

If you want to study how to write comics, this volume is a very good place to start.
Michael
The Frank Frazetta paintings on the covers of the four original issues always fascinated me as a kid when I saw them advertised in Famous Monsters of Filmland, so it was great to finally be able to read all the stories. And of course the artwork by all the various contributors is wonderful- you can just study those panels for hours and hours.
David Neitzke
Great collection of Warren Publication's short lived anti-war comic from the mid-sixties. Stunning black and white artwork by some of my favorite old school comic book artists (Alex Toth, John Severin, Reed Crandall, Al Williamson, etc.)and good to great scripts by writer Archie Goodwin. Highly recommended.
Wayne
I'm not a big fan of War Stories in general, and these are way dated, but I always liked this stuff more for the art more than anything else. The reproduction in here is very good. My favorite was Wally Wood, but there are many more good ones. The package itself is very good.
Jeremy
Pointing out that war is kind of awful ought to be obvious, even trite, to a nation as civilized as ours. Instead, we need to be reminded again and again and again. Beautifully illustrated and thoughtfully written.
Jeffrey
A nice package, beautifully drawn and engagingly written. Brings me back to the days of growing up watching war movies on Saturday afternoons, and makes me realize how different and more mature my views on war are now.
Charles
These old comics were so good. The title's a bit misleading as the soldiers in these stories are not celebrated as heroes (with the exception of maybe one story). The artwork is fabulous as well.
Adam Lewis Schroeder

Some of these stories are pretty forgettable, but Russ Heath's art is just incredible -- like nothing I've seen anywhere else, not even by Russ Heath.
Matthew
Some truly amazing war stories in a gritty comics form. This book is beautifully put together too.
Jamie
The art was amazing, but many of the stories--all shorts written by Archie Goodwin--felt slight.
Brian
Considering these books came out before I was born, they stand up amazingly well. It doesn't hurt that it's illustrated by a who's who of my favorite artists.
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Stevechong25
Stevechong25 marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
M Elsehry
M Elsehry marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Archie Goodwin was an American comic book writer, editor, and artist. He worked on a number of comic strips in addition to comic books, and is best known for his Warren and Marvel Comics work. For Warren he was chief writer and editor of landmark horror anthology titles Creepy and Eerie, and for Marvel he set up the creator-owned Epic Comics as well as adapting Star Wars into both comics and newsp...more
More about Archie Goodwin...
Batman: Night Cries Manhunter Classic Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back Star Wars Omnibus: Episodes I - VI The Complete Saga Alien