Start by marking “The Calling of Katie Makanya: A Memoir of South Africa” as Want to Read:
The Calling of Katie Makanya: A Memoir of South Africa

The Calling of Katie Makanya: A Memoir of South Africa

The winner of South Africa's prestigious Sunday Times/Alan Paton prize, this moving, illuminating memoir chronicles the life of an extraordinary woman in South Africa who was born in 1873 in colonial South Africa and lived through the early years of apartheid to her death in 1955. The story of Katie Makanya opens a window to a side of South African life seldom recorded, ex ...more
Published February 23rd 1998 by Wiley (first published February 23rd 1900)

To ask other readers questions about The Calling of Katie Makanya, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Calling of Katie Makanya

Rita
Oct 06, 2012 Rita rated it liked it
1995, by Margaret McCord Nixon, based on tapes in sessions with Makanya.

Katie Makanya [1874-1955] did a good thing when she decided at age 80 to tell her life story, and Margaret McCord does a wonderful job of presenting it. What a tale! The vicissitudes of her childhood with two very good parents, a year or more spent in England singing in a choir, experiencing being viewed as an exotic, her strong desire to return home and marry, waiting till she met the right husband, with whom in spite of hi
Ellen
Apr 13, 2014 Ellen rated it really liked it
As I am traveling to South Africa for my first trip in 6 weeks I wanted to read something about the country that was not told from the point of view of a politician; this really exceeded my expectations. Katie Makanya's perceptions of whites, Zulus, Indians, "heathen non-Christians" and others are woven into the fabric of her memoir which was written by the daughter of white doctor who became a longtime friend and employer. A very special book about hardship, faith and survival.
Colleen
Mar 31, 2013 Colleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I enjoyed reading about Katie, even if her tale is told via tapes. I do think some of the complexities of her life were probably overlooked and the focus seemed mostly on how Katie related to the 'white world'. Probably a by product of who edited the narrative and who Katie recorded her story for in the first place.
Katelyn Imperatrice
Jul 27, 2015 Katelyn Imperatrice rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer-reads
I was recommended this book by a friend and I wasn't disappointed. The story is incredibly moving and I was able to learn a lot of the South African culture during the time of the narrator's life.
Rachael
I found this at the Library, but have never met anyone else who's read it. It was wonderful and inspiring (yes, I use those words too much... sorry!)

Kelley
Jul 30, 2012 Kelley rated it really liked it
I read this book a few years ago and really enjoyed it. From the description it might not sound that interesting but it was a good read.
Penny nibbs
Penny nibbs rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2012
Sarah Shaw
Sarah Shaw rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2017
Shiloh
Shiloh rated it it was ok
May 09, 2013
Morgan
Morgan rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
May 05, 2007
Lewis Maxey
Lewis Maxey rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2013
Rebekah
Rebekah rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2012
Zan Isgett
Zan Isgett rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2016
Chau
Chau rated it really liked it
May 31, 2014
Rachel Grmela
Rachel Grmela rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2013
Stefani
Stefani rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it it was ok
Jun 06, 2007
Danni Bing
Danni Bing rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Nicolette
Nicolette rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2008
Melissa Mcdonough
Melissa Mcdonough rated it really liked it
May 14, 2011
Kaylin
Kaylin rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2010
Dottie
Dottie rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2011
Ida
Ida rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2010
Savannah
Savannah rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2016
Bonky
Bonky rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2011
Kaylin
Kaylin rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2011
Patricia Warner
Patricia Warner rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2016
Ashley Smith
Ashley Smith rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2012
Heather Manes
Heather Manes rated it it was ok
Aug 28, 2014