Start by marking “Free Fall: A Late-in-Life Love Affair” as Want to Read:
Free Fall: A Late-in-Life Love Affair

Free Fall: A Late-in-Life Love Affair

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  36 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
At 55, Rae Padilla Francoeur had no idea that the most deeply fulfilling sexual relationship she'd ever encounter was still to come.

In her memoir, Free Fall, Francoeur discloses her discovery of a new love after nearly two decades in a relationship that won't end, despite her need and desire to move on. Francoeur succumbs entirely to the intensely physical and stimulating
Published March 30th 2010 by Seal Press (first published July 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Free Fall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Free Fall

Lynne Spreen
Jan 04, 2016 Lynne Spreen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: midlife, boomer-lit
This book was recommended to me as erotica for older people, and it is erotic, but the sex is a metaphor.

At least, I assume that's what Rae, the 58-year-old author and protagonist of this memoir, intended. Rae suffered through a horrific childhood. At some point, as an adult, she fell in love and began living with (and taking care of) Eli, who toward the end of their 18-year relationship is bipolar, sick, and has threatened her. There is no one but Rae to help him. Here's how she describes it, o
LizG
Nov 24, 2010 LizG rated it it was amazing
I was very intrigued by the subject matter, as our culture does not like to consider that sex is not strictly for the young. The book is tastefully and very frankly written. If you want the unvarnished truth of one woman's experience and a window into later life sexual potential, this is a very good read. What it's not, is erotica. What it is, is a sensitive description of one woman's choice to embrace life with no apologies. I am in awe of this woman's courage to talk about things so personal i ...more
Elizabeth Marro
Apr 16, 2010 Elizabeth Marro rated it really liked it
A friend who read this book says it made him think of advice a running coach gave him before they raced down a mountain. “Just go all out. If you crash you crash.”

If you don’t crash, you fly.

With “Free Fall,” Francoeur goes all out. And she soars. She takes us along for the ride of a lifetime. That the ride begins when she is fifty-eight only makes us appreciate all the more how little we can predict about life and how ready we must be always to take what is has to offer.

Fair warning: this boo
Anthony W. Noblett
Mar 08, 2016 Anthony W. Noblett rated it really liked it
An exciting personal story and a well written book!
May 02, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do I really want to admit that I am reading this?
Picked it up from the "memoirs you might have missed" shelf at the library. It is fun b/c in addition to the sex aspect (not my usual genre!), the author lives in Rockport & works at PEM so many of the settings mentioned are familiar. And imagine exposing your life to this extent. Just that aspect is fascinating!
Peggy
Jun 12, 2010 Peggy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
I love reading books written by people I've met. Rae divides her time between Rockport, MA and Manhattan. At one time she was on the Board of the Seacoast Writers Association. This memoir is thought-provoking and well-written. WARNING-this is definitely an X-rated story!
Maya Rock
Sep 28, 2013 Maya Rock rated it really liked it
Whoa!!! It's quite an experience reading this in public spaces. She speaks her truth, and I respect, plus writes very good sex scenes. I think my favorite part had to be the end of the acknowledgements with the joint thanks to Eli and Jim.
Maureen Flatley
May 19, 2010 Maureen Flatley rated it it was amazing
One of the best memoirs I have ever read.....incredibly candid, provocative and revealing.
Patricia A. Sjöberg
Patricia A. Sjöberg rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Terrie
Terrie rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Richard  Peterson
Richard Peterson marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Nancy Vigraham
Nancy Vigraham rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Angel Call
Angel Call marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Deb Bell
Deb Bell rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Yvette Nachmias-Baeu
Yvette Nachmias-Baeu rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
A Lawn
A Lawn rated it it was ok
Oct 27, 2015
Erin Seidemann
Erin Seidemann rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Stephanie Davis
Stephanie Davis rated it liked it
May 06, 2015
Hyejin
Hyejin added it
Feb 08, 2015
Linda B Bagwell
Linda B Bagwell rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2015
Virginia
Virginia marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Alice Chalom
Alice Chalom rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Susan J Gonzalez
Susan J Gonzalez marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2014
nancy hollenbeck
nancy hollenbeck rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2014
Sjross513
Sjross513 rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2014
Lori P
Lori P marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2013
Amp
Amp added it
Jul 23, 2013
Donnie
Donnie marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2013