Free Fall: A Late-in-Life Love Affair

Free Fall: A Late-in-Life Love Affair

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  7 reviews
At 55, Rae Padilla Francoeur had no idea that the most deeply fulfilling sexual relationship she'd ever encounter was still to come.

In her memoir, Free Fall, Francoeur discloses her discovery of a new love after nearly two decades in a relationship that won't end, despite her need and desire to move on. Francoeur succumbs entirely to the intensely physical and stimulating...more
Published March 30th 2010 by Seal Press (first published July 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Free Fall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Free Fall

Lynne Spreen
This book was recommended to me as erotica for older people, and it is erotic, but the sex is a metaphor.

At least, I assume that's what Rae, the 58-year-old author, intended. Rae suffered through a horrific childhood. At some point, as an adult, she fell in love and began living with (and taking care of) Eli, who toward the end of their 18-year relationship is bipolar, sick, and has threatened her.

At the beginning of this memoir, Eli is in agonizing decline, and has no one but the long-sufferin...more
Elizabeth Marro
A friend who read this book says it made him think of advice a running coach gave him before they raced down a mountain. “Just go all out. If you crash you crash.”

If you don’t crash, you fly.

With “Free Fall,” Francoeur goes all out. And she soars. She takes us along for the ride of a lifetime. That the ride begins when she is fifty-eight only makes us appreciate all the more how little we can predict about life and how ready we must be always to take what is has to offer.

Fair warning: this boo...more
LizG
I was very intrigued by the subject matter, as our culture does not like to consider that sex is not strictly for the young. The book is tastefully and very frankly written. If you want the unvarnished truth of one woman's experience and a window into later life sexual potential, this is a very good read. What it's not, is erotica. What it is, is a sensitive description of one woman's choice to embrace life with no apologies. I am in awe of this woman's courage to talk about things so personal i...more
Do I really want to admit that I am reading this?
Picked it up from the "memoirs you might have missed" shelf at the library. It is fun b/c in addition to the sex aspect (not my usual genre!), the author lives in Rockport & works at PEM so many of the settings mentioned are familiar. And imagine exposing your life to this extent. Just that aspect is fascinating!
Peggy
I love reading books written by people I've met. Rae divides her time between Rockport, MA and Manhattan. At one time she was on the Board of the Seacoast Writers Association. This memoir is thought-provoking and well-written. WARNING-this is definitely an X-rated story!
Maya Rock
Whoa!!! It's quite an experience reading this in public spaces. She speaks her truth, and I respect, plus writes very good sex scenes. I think my favorite part had to be the end of the acknowledgements with the joint thanks to Eli and Jim.
Maureen Flatley
One of the best memoirs I have ever read.....incredibly candid, provocative and revealing.
Lori P
Lori P marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2013
Amp
Amp added it
Jul 23, 2013
Donnie Funch
Donnie Funch marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2013
Maria Ferreira
Maria Ferreira marked it as to-read
May 31, 2013
Iroulito91
Iroulito91 marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2013
Rackeisha
Rackeisha marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2013
Jennifer Nevil
Jennifer Nevil marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2013
Tom Van
Tom Van marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2013
Elias
Elias marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2012
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2012
Carole
Carole marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2012
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2012