Start by marking “Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven, #2)

Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven #2)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  52,948 ratings  ·  2,970 reviews
At the end of the school year, Kendra and her brother, Seth, find themselves racing back to Fablehaven, a refuge for mythical and magical creatures. Grandpa Sorenson, the caretaker, invites three specialists--a potion master, a magical relics collector, and a mystical creature trapper--to help protect the property from the Society of the Evening Star, an ancient organizati ...more
Published June 1st 2007 by Shadow Mountain (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Rise of the Evening Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rise of the Evening Star

City of Ashes by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareMarked by P.C. Cast
Books That Should Be Made Into Movies
104th out of 21,253 books — 56,619 voters
Fablehaven by Brandon MullRise of the Evening Star by Brandon MullGrip of the Shadow Plague by Brandon MullSecrets of the Dragon Sanctuary by Brandon MullTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Mormon Fantasy
2nd out of 161 books — 311 voters

More lists with this book...

Aaron Vincent
My first venture to the magical world of Fablehaven was truly an unforgettable one. I just couldn’t stop raving about it to every bookish person I know. Truth be told, I read Harry Potter series because a number of critics and authors compared Fablehaven to it(and yes, I just read Harry Potter this year. Please, don’t kill me.) I wanted to prolong the pleasure in reading the entire Fablehaven series so I didn’t read the 2nd book immediately after the 1st one. I finally decided to revisit Fableha ...more
เปนหนังสือทีเอามาอานกอนนอนไดสนุกมาก เนือเรืองนาสนใจขึนกวาเลมทีแลว แตยังไมพีคถึงขนาดทีวา...อานแลวจะวางไมลง เพราะเราหยิบๆวางๆหนังสือเลมนีหลายครังมากกวาจะอานจบ เนือเรืองตามสไตลแบรนดอนเขาแหละ คือไมเนนความหวือหวา แตเนนบรรยากาศทีเรือยๆ อานเพลินๆ ไมเรงในการคลายปมปัญหา ซึงมีทังขอดีและขอเสีย ขอดีคือ...มันจะคอยๆบิวทอารมณเราไปเรือยๆแบบไมมีสะดุด ขอเสียกคือ...มันงวงจนเราหลับไปหลายรอบเลยนะสิ

จะวากวานะ ... เซธนารำคาญนอยกวาเลมทีแลว แตกยังมีมุมใหนาตบกะโหลกอยูอีกเหมือนกัน สวนเคนดราฉายเดียวในตอนทายแบบเลมกอนอีกแลว ส
Kendra and Seth can't wait for the end of the school year so that they can return to visit their grandparents at Fablehaven. A few days before the school year ends, a scabby kobold appears in her class. The kobold appears normal to everybody except Kendra. With the aid of a kobold exterminator they get rid of him and are then swiftly evacuated to Fablehaven for their own safety. Once there, they find out that the Society of the Evening Star (which opposes preserves such as Fablehaven) has gotten ...more
Feb 03, 2008 DeLaina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to DeLaina by: my 10-yr old daughter Amanda, thanks to Jen Christensen's daught
Shelves: ya
I liked the sequel to Fablehaven even better than Fablehaven itself. The author was able to flesh out the characters and each gained a lot of depth.

I read Fablehaven last night, and the sequel, Rise of the Evening Star, tonight, so they're quick reads at 3-4 hours each. (Thank you writer's strike and sick, clingy kids who INSIST on me holding them and not minding me reading at the same time!!!)

They’re fantasy, not unlike Harry Potter but more infused with value of the family. No Dudley or mean
Kimberley doruyter
is it just me or does seth live a trail of destruction in his wake.
Mar 28, 2008 Thomas rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Kendra and Seth return to Fablehaven to discover more of what they don't know (and that can kill them) and save the day. Seth, now a year older, is a little wiser and doesn't find himself in as much trouble, but again, it is Kendra who comes through.

By the way, in both books, while Kendra is the reluctant heroine, she is helped by others, so this isn't some supergirl of unlimited capabilities or powers.

I get the feeling, in reading these first two books in the series, that these two young advent
The events in Rise of the Evening Star pick up months after where Fablehaven left off. It continues the adventures of Kendra and Seth Sorensen as they become embroiled in an insidious plot by the forces of evil to obtain powerful, magical items and unleash a nearly unstoppable horror.

Mull deftly continues to add to the wonders of the world that is Fablehaven, giving the reader new exciting storyline and plots while nimbly threading in those from the previous book.

His writing etches the framework
May 03, 2012 Lindsey rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Middle-schoolers, clean read, boy-and-girl appeal, fast read
Recommended to Lindsey by: Andrew and Cynthia
Shelves: cleanreads, reviewed
All right. This book was a mess. By about page 300 I was just zipping through it, so as to have the vital information for the next installment, because A and C promised it gets better. Sigh.

As usual, Mull delivers on imaginative world building, and the pace never slows, but his logical foundation is so weak I don't dare examine it--one too-direct breath could knock the whole thing over.

(view spoiler)
Mairéad (is exploring a floating city)
“Sometimes the most preposterous lies are the most believable.”

4 stars.

Certainly an improvement from the first book, but Seth is still an idiot. Kendra has become the most capable out of the both of them, but I can see Seth learning somewhat. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.

Sorry this is such a short review. :P
Nov 09, 2007 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ANYONE
GREAT writing. If you liked Harry Potter, you'll LOVE this one. The writing is tighter, the characters not as....angst-filled, a little more real, I think.
The world is so beautiful and yet real-feeling. There is a great sense of morality without the SLAP of it in your face. NO force feeding here, just a delightful romp, jog and then a mad-dash to the climax in a world of majesty and power that is both magical and compelling.
LOVED it. EVERY person (at least a dozen) I have recommended it to (even
I think this book was better then the first. I am still not drawn to the main characters. I wish Kendra would take some more initiative and try to find out what her talents and powers are from being made fairy kind. There is so much build up to that and it is left hanging again in this book like it was in the first. I wish Seth would set a better example in the book, he is constantly disobeying, I was not thrilled with the things the children did in this book, i.e. sneaking out of their parents ...more
L.R.W. Lee
Intriguing and creative

A great continuation of the first book in the series. New characters and obstacles with and end that brilliantly sets up the next phase of the journey.
Hannah  Walsh
This series is really unique and fun to read. I love the humor and all the interesting characters.
I thought this one was better than the first, and I'm looking forward to reading more!
Chantele Sedgwick
Originally read in 2008. Just re-read and loved it just as much the second time! Such a fun series! One of my favorites.
Quiero aclarar y reafirmar que esta saga es fantástica.

Puede que sea algo más infantil que otras, que no esté bien fundamentada o que no sea tan conocida... pero es una lectura muy imaginativa, adictiva y va evolucionando en cada libro.

Tanto la historia como los personajes enganchan de una manera brutal; Fablehaven es un mundo increíble, de ensueño y repleto de magia.
El amor por la imaginación, la vida y los seres fantásticos se refleja en cada una de sus páginas y la lucha incansable entre el b
Fablehaven is flat and forgettable. There is plenty of action and adventure, but it is soon forgotten when the book is finished.

However, I did have to give this book the dubious honor of being labeled “rubbish”. Mull has an uncanny knack for writing offensive things about Indians. This book had children playing on a Foosball table populated with cowboys and Indians – complete with headdresses and bare chests. For those struggling to wrap their heads around this, an illustration is included on pa
3 1/2 stars. I enjoyed this book slightly more than I did the first one. I like a little more action/adventure/intrigue to my fantasy novels and this one delivered in comparison. I did not like how neither of the main characters played much of a role in the climaxing moments of the second book. Kendra WAS acceptably involved in the first novel.

I'm a Potter fan, I admit it, so permit me my little rant. In the Harry Potter books the characters have great mentors but in the crucial deciding moment
This book was really awesome. I thoroughly enjoyed it with all of its fairy and mythological creatures. Seth and Kendra are two siblings who discovered that their grandparents were the caretakers of a magical menagerie in the first installment, Fablehaven. In this one, the evil Evening Star is trying to make their move against Fablehaven, and the siblings have to use all their wits and courage to defend the menagerie and the world. Kendra was awesome, smart, motivated, and responsible. She was j ...more
Manu Corta
OMG!!! Por qué me tardé tanto en empezar a leer esta serie! Me daba buena espina, pero la verdad es que superó todas mis expectativas. Desde Harry Potter no había encontrado otra saga que me atrapara tanto, que me hiciera devorar capítulo tras capítulo y en que cada libro fuera mejor al anterior. Necesito empezar a leer el siguiente de inmediato! Sencillamente, es del tipo de libros que me vuelven loco. Fascinante, original, y con un ritmo fabuloso.
Kimberley doruyter
in the first book it's meet and great to all the wonders of the world.
in this book we see the villian arise.
Mejor que el primero de la saga. La historia empieza tomar más forma y a verse dentro de un universo más grande que el propio libro, sin embargo, aun existen ciertos conflictos que generan gran expectativa pero al final se resuelvan de manera muy sencilla.
El final ((view spoiler)) deja la trama servida para un buen tomo 3 y para una historia más oscura y madura, toca darle una oportunidad.
Taz Kuster
Returning back after a long school year, our heroes are faced with another challenge in their quest to keep the sanctuary safe. Kendra finds a kobold has managed to enter into her class undetected. Soon after a man by the name Errol offers to help get rid of this mischievous monster in exchange for a task done in return. After completing the task, Seth and Kendra are approached by this same man requesting that they follow him. The two find out from their grandpa that is a trap and they make thei ...more
Mia Will-Marek
***Spoiler Alert*** Have you ever seen a real life monster? This book is fiction. This book was really good, it's really fascinating. The characters in the story face troubling things in life. The sister has like a power that only her brother, grandfather, grandmother, and the people that work with the grandparents know about. No one can know about it not even their parents. The brother gets poisoned and has to try to cure it himself.
The book is about this girl named Kendra she has powers were
Daniel Poulsen
In this book, the Society of the Evening Star is causing trouble for the kids and
Fablehaven in general. The characters are having trouble keeping the preserve intact, and their adventures in doing so are told. I chose to read this book because it was recommended to me by a friend, and I was hooked on the series after that. I liked how the book keeps the reader interested, and never has a prolonged period of nothing happening. I did not like how little twists in the plot there were. My overall i
Angela Oliver
Another highly enjoyable fantastic romp, with engaging characters, an intriguing plot and colourful premise.

Recommended for ages 10+ and anyone who loves a good yarn!

There were, however, three things that made me feel faintly uncomfortable:

* when the kids sneak out at night with a stranger, and get lured into breaking the law - it just felt wrong.

* The constant use of the term "albino" as though being an albino were to be cursed and just a synonym for "devoid of colour" instead of a genetic vari
Lydia Perversius
Well,so many things I feel like I HAVE to say,and yet so little brainpower to organize them all in an order that makes sense!I blame you,Mr. Mull,because right now,all I can think of is:"Oh my God,what the HECK was THAT in the book's ending pages?!".I'm THIS close to rereading the whole damn thing(as I've already done a couple times so far,I assure you),to "see" how things were for real this time around,without my pink glasses that told me:"Heeeeey,no worries,everyone around you is a nice friend ...more
Alice ♔
HOLY MOLY THIS BOOK WAS AWESOME. SERIOUSLY! The first book in the series really grabbed me, but not as much as the second one did. I mean, shit really did hit the fan in this one and I really adored the development in the plot and in all the characters.

I'm liking Kendra a lot more now. She's still a bit of a noble 'goodie goodie' but I feel like I can relate more to her and understand where she's coming from, with her being the responsible big sister and everything. And I felt SO BAD FOR HER wh
Rhiannon Ryder
So Seth and Kendra's lives are just getting more and more interesting, which generally means more dangerous as well, but dangerous equals fun right?

An incident at school, involving a crazy teacher and a Kobold (don't you just hate it when that happens?), makes it apparent that they need to head back to the safety of Fablehaven. Upon arrival they discover the preserve is abuzz. After the previous summers near catastrophe, it has been decided that the secret artifact needs to move, since obviousl
Rise of the Evening Star, the second installment of the Fablehaven series is more dynamic and more complex than the first one. More mysteries, more adventures take place, and keep you absorbed throughout the story.

The world-building in the first book, Fablehaven, was incomplete and unrefined, now the magical world of Fablehaven begins to unfold, as well as more and more special abilities of Kendra.

Colorful and varied magic is created in Rise of the Evening Star. It is so diverse both in its crea
Brianna Anderson
I love Brandon Mull! His stories are so cool! I am 20 and I love these books. They are not just for children. They have strong characters, cool story lines, awesome adventures, scary villains, boundless imagination, wonderful writing... What more could you ask for?
Fablehaven is one of the most interesting, most engaging books I've read. I definitely recommend this book to everyone and anyone. If you have eyes, read this book! You will not regret it.
I love how he gives each race of magical crea
  • Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra (Leven Thumps, #4)
  • Gadiantons and the Silver Sword (Tennis Shoes, #2)
  • Land Keep (Farworld, #2)
  • Secrets of New Forest Academy (Janitors, #2)
  • Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener's Bones (Alcatraz, #2)
  • Widow's Revenge (Wesley Mackey, #2)
  • Dragon Flight (Dragon Slippers, #2)
  • Albrek's Tomb (Adventurers Wanted, #3)
  • River Secrets (The Books of Bayern, #3)
Brandon Mull resides in a happy little valley near the mouth of a canyon with his wife and three children. He spent two years living in the Atacama Desert of Northern Chile where he learned Spanish and juggling. He once won a pudding eating contest in the park behind his grandma’s house, earning a gold medal. Brandon is the author of the New York Times bestselling Fablehaven series and The Candy S ...more
More about Brandon Mull...

Fablehaven (5 books)
  • Fablehaven (Fablehaven, #1)
  • Grip of the Shadow Plague (Fablehaven, #3)
  • Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary (Fablehaven, #4)
  • Keys to the Demon Prison (Fablehaven, #5)
Fablehaven (Fablehaven, #1) Grip of the Shadow Plague (Fablehaven, #3) Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary (Fablehaven, #4) Keys to the Demon Prison (Fablehaven, #5) A World Without Heroes (Beyonders, #1)

“Running toward danger is foolhardy. ... But so is closing your eyes to it. Many perils become less dangerous once you understand their potential hazards.” 144 likes
“Hello," Newel said. "Look, Doren, we have visitors. Kendra, Seth, and ... Muriel's weirdo puppet."....Newel grabbed Seth's hand and shook it vigorously. "Congratulations. You just found yourself a secret entrance."
"So seriously," Doren said. "What's with the puppet?”