Start by marking “Guilt by Association” as Want to Read:
Guilt by Association

Guilt by Association

A provocative tale that mirrors today's headlines, this page-turning first novel is a gripping, intelligent and totally satisfying account of one woman's brave struggle to triumph over the pain of a vicious rape, her battle to rebuild her life and the ultimate, shocking confrontation with the man who nearly destroyed her.
Published December 19th 2009 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Guilt by Association, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guilt by Association

Feb 23, 2009 Julie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time reading this book, because I was so disgusted by the reactions of people, including the victim, her family, her doctor, to a victim of rape. It was truly repulsive how people blamed the victim. I'm sure the author was trying to point this out, and to empower the victim later on in the novel, but I just hated the way it was done. It was incredibly unrealistic, oversimplified (apparently the author thinks we're all morons who have no idea how a trial works), and pretty morally ab ...more
Feb 22, 2009 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved all of Susan's books. I just wish she would write some more! They always had me going up to the end, sometimes even up to the last sentence.
Melinda Flaugher
I enjoyed how the book reminded me of the time period when sexual harrasment was the new ad upcoming crime in the American court. I was dissappointed that I already knew the end of the story before the last two hundred pages. Also, the story kept on going back and forth between time periods and missed out on certain pieces. I thought this was a great, quick vacation read for pure entertainment.
Ein junges Mädchen wird auf dem Heimweg von einer Party von einem anderen Gast vergewaltigt, der sie doch eigentlich nur sicher nach Hause begleiten sollte. Er ist ein Junge aus reichem Hause und behauptet, Karen habe es ja auch gewollt. Das ganze spielt in den 60ern, bevor CSI-Teams anhand von Indizien die Tat eindeutiger rekonstruiert hätten können. So gilt lediglich Aussage gegen Aussage und der Täter kommt ungeschoren davon! Selbst Karen's Eltern wollen ihr nicht so recht glauben, auch wenn ...more
Dec 08, 2010 Karin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I only forced myself to read this book past the first chapter on the recommendation of a friend. In general, most of the book consists of canned characters and a plot that can be seen miles in advance. The only reason for the two stars was that I've read worse books.
Diane Morasco

Sloan's powerfully scribbled debut is a compelling story that left me paralyzed w/ fear, filled w/ rage & empowered!

Sloan knows how to write dynamic novels. It is still one of my wishes, for Sloan to once again grab her laptop to share her gift w/ the world. It has been far too long since Sloan released a new page-turner.

Guilt by Association is a POWERFUL read. In 1962, Karen, an innocent, intelligent, beautiful collegian is barbarously assaulted in New York's City's Central Park by a Harvar
Jul 23, 2011 Orna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book, written on the main characters sufferings, and how she dealt with being raped in the 60's. It explains how the victim had a chance opportunity at revenge, and took the bull by the horns. The author manages to portray the strength of the character with such conviction. It was book where I got completely wrapped up in the stoy, as if I was living through the torture myself. I could not help but feel for the character. A compelling read!
Jul 24, 2011 Terri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A neighbor recommended this book and let me borrow it to read. It was a quick read, one of those you don't put down too long. My friend told me not to read the jacket cover because it ruins the surprise, so I didn't! It kept me thinking, "Hmmm... what will the surprise ending be???" I thought of a few as I went along.
Alex Mclane
Sep 02, 2011 Alex Mclane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book the summer of 2011. I enjoyed the book because of the good flow and interesting subject matter. It was obvious Susan Sloan is knowledgeable about rape and the elements involved in the act. I thought the explanation of the difference between the acquaintance rapist and the stranger rapist was very well written. The flow from the original rape to the redemption was also written beautifully.
All I can say is WOW. This story was terribly distrubing and sad. It read like a true story. I would have given "Guilt By Association" more stars but the editing could have been better and the graphic detail of the rape scenes really bothered me. The story itself was very good. It was quite heavy, disturbing, very detailed, and really got you thinking. If you like true crime-esk novels this id a must read.
Oct 07, 2012 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I read it years ago and had to do some Google research to find it again so I can read her other books as well. I just wish she had more time to write! I love her story telling. I am currently reading Behind Closed Doors and listening to An Isolated Incident when at the pool. I am hooked!!!
May 08, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
For most of this book I was really annoyed. Now I know, in 2013, our thinking about rape cases and rape victims has changed drastically, not only from when the book was written (mid-1990's) but when the book is supposed to take place (1962 and on). But I was so angry at the main character's parents for their attitude toward their daughter being raped (this is not a spoiler), and then the daughter allowing the crime to affect her life in the way it did, that it was squirmy reading for me until th ...more
Greer Andjanetta
A story which begins with the savage rape and beating of a young woman. The central part of the book is "Harlequin-like" and describes her life for the next 30 yrs, recovery and making a new life. The final part of the book describes how she eventually meets her attacker again, now a candidate for President and how she exacts her revenge.
A somewhat draggy story most of the time but the unexpected ending leaves an impression with the reader.
Aug 04, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary mysteries
Recommended to Mary by: Bookmooch
December 22, 1962: A pretty young coed is found brutally beaten and sexually assaulted by her date - a handsome, wealthy Harvard law student. No one sees him do it and the police don't believe her story. Her life is entirely ruined while his flourishes. Now thirty years later, Senator Robert Drayton Wilmont has succeeded in becoming a suave, self-assured politician with aspirations of being America's next president, unless America learns the truth.

Karen Kern has suffered more than enough. Thirt
Aug 17, 2014 Fer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good friend recommended me this book, and I am everything but disappointed with it. Such a quick and good reading to spend the weekend. It's an intriguing story with a twisted end and you just cannot stop reading it. I connected with the character and somehow it made understand the way she was feeling. Highly recommended but with explicit raping details.

Plus, i just cannot understand how people could/ can react the way some people in that book reacts towards rape. But it's a reality afte
David Collins
Aug 09, 2014 David Collins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it
Bridget Torkington
I read this in 1 night, I couldn't put it down
Feb 01, 2015 Olivia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jun 04, 2015 Hilde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Een vrouw wordt verkracht en voor dood achtergelaten in de jaren '60. Toen was dat onderwerp nog taboe en de schuld werd op de vrouw geschoven. Het slachtoffer worstelt haar verdere leven met de gebeurtenis. Uiteindelijk lukt het haar om toch een succesvol leven op te bouwen. Na 30 jaar gebeurt het onmogelijke. Hoe het lot kan keren.

Moet nu even bekomen van dit heel aangrijpende verhaal. Had op sommige momenten tranen in de ogen.
Een page turner en een echte aanrader om te lezen.
Bev Taylor
Mar 13, 2015 Bev Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
date rape did not exist in 1962

karen was raped and savagely beaten in central park, ny. h/e her parents inferred that she was to blame and so their story was she was in a road accident

she lost her boyfriend, nearly fiance and started a new life. h.e 30 years later the man responsible reappeared in her life and was a senator running for the presidency. what should she do - if anything? and now she had a husband and threes stepchildren.

a potent mixture of political thriller, saga and courtroom
Oct 09, 2015 Oli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book was simply awesome!

The story itself is stunning, but what makes it really special is the fact,
that the reader is able to see the development of the American society throughout
30 years. Highly interesting and fascinating.

More than highly recommendable!
May 11, 2015 Irene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
nail biting at the end
May 24, 2015 Morgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is terrifying. It really made me think, ya know? But I didn't like that she ended up in the same situation again. I also hated the fact that everyone blamed her for being raped.
Pete Loveday
Sep 23, 2015 Pete Loveday rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent read that had my interest from page 1. Again this author takes on emotive women's issues in a forthright manner with an interesting story to keep us men occupied. Well developed story with excellent characterisation.
Highly recommended.
Supratim Bose
I came across this one in a second hand book store. I had never heard about the author but got interested in it by reading the blurb.

The book starts with the brutal rape and assault of the protagonist Karen by Bob, a handsome Harvard law student. The incident took place in 1962. Unfortunately the law, her own mother, boyfriend everybody blames Karen for this incident and Bob goes scot-free. We come across the prejudices inherent in the minds of the people which vilify the victim rather than the
Jan 12, 2016 Rathi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mar 15, 2016 Sophie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastisch dieses Buch! Zunächst gefiel mir der Schreibstil nicht allzu sehr, weil ich es lieber mag, wenn Geschichten aus der Ich-Perspektive geschrieben werden, aber dieses Buch hat mich trotzdem so gepackt!!!
Wie bereits schon im Klappentext steht, wird Karen nach einer Party vergewaltigt und weder Polizei noch ihre eigenen Eltern glauben ihr. Nach diesem ersten Abschnitt, musste ich erstmal eine Pause machen, weil mich die Geschichte einfach so mitgenommen hatte. Der weitere Verlauf der Han
May 26, 2016 Cori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I struggled with giving this book 4 or 5 stars. It really gets 4.5 from me. I admit that I was quite hesitant to read it, but it was the selection for one of my book clubs.

The author does an excellent job of creating atmosphere for each time period in the novel, and one of my few complaints is the sometimes overly descriptive detail in her writing.

However, her characters are so well drawn and the storytelling exceptional that I simply couldn't put the book down. It's disturbing to have the gra
May 31, 2016 Jill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
A mistake in getting a reserve book got me this one. Marcia Clark has one by the same title. I kept the book to read, not having any clue about it. The book starts out in 1962 and follows the characters until 1992. Karen was brutally raped in NYC. I wasn't sure I wanted to finish the book, but kept on reading and I did like it. What upset me the most was the mother's reaction as Karen suffered through many months of recovery from her "accident". Her mother wanted to protect Karen, but she was ju ...more
Oct 19, 2016 Bren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
  • Dancehall
  • The             Rome Affair
  • Criminals
  • Blood in the Water (Alice Rice, #1).
  • The Uncanny
  • A Little Death
  • Murder in Mayberry: Greed, Death, and Mayhem in a Small Town
  • Evil Twins: Chilling True Stories of Twins, Killing and Insanity
  • A Circle of Souls
  • The Saints and Sinners of Okay County: A Novel
  • Ruin Creek
  • The Tarnished Eye
  • On the Ropes (The Duffy Dombrowski Mysteries, #1)
  • The Lives of Danielle Steel: The Unauthorized Biography of America's #1 Best-Selling Author
  • Charlotte
  • Whispers
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • The Red Scream

“hope had become despair, protestors had become terrorists, love had become sex, music had become noise, and us had become me.” 3 likes