Guilt by Association

Guilt by Association

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  459 ratings  ·  68 reviews
A provocative tale that mirrors today's headlines, this page-turning first novel is a gripping, intelligent and totally satisfying account of one woman's brave struggle to triumph over the pain of a vicious rape, her battle to rebuild her life and the ultimate, shocking confrontation with the man who nearly destroyed her.
Published December 19th 2009 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 1994)

Mary
Jun 25, 2013 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary mysteries
Recommended to Mary by: Bookmooch
December 22, 1962: A pretty young coed is found brutally beaten and sexually assaulted by her date - a handsome, wealthy Harvard law student. No one sees him do it and the police don't believe her story. Her life is entirely ruined while his flourishes. Now thirty years later, Senator Robert Drayton Wilmont has succeeded in becoming a suave, self-assured politician with aspirations of being America's next president, unless America learns the truth.

Karen Kern has suffered more than enough. Thirt...more
Karschtl
Ein junges Mädchen wird auf dem Heimweg von einer Party von einem anderen Gast vergewaltigt, der sie doch eigentlich nur sicher nach Hause begleiten sollte. Er ist ein Junge aus reichem Hause und behauptet, Karen habe es ja auch gewollt. Das ganze spielt in den 60ern, bevor CSI-Teams anhand von Indizien die Tat eindeutiger rekonstruiert hätten können. So gilt lediglich Aussage gegen Aussage und der Täter kommt ungeschoren davon! Selbst Karen's Eltern wollen ihr nicht so recht glauben, auch wenn...more
Diane  Morasco

Sloan's powerfully scribbled debut is a compelling story that left me paralyzed w/ fear, filled w/ rage & empowered!

Sloan knows how to write dynamic novels. It is still one of my wishes, for Sloan to once again grab her laptop to share her gift w/ the world. It has been far too long since Sloan released a new page-turner.

Guilt by Association is a POWERFUL read. In 1962, Karen, an innocent, intelligent, beautiful collegian is barbarously assaulted in New York's City's Central Park by a Harvar...more
Kathy
I loved this book. I read it years ago and had to do some Google research to find it again so I can read her other books as well. I just wish she had more time to write! I love her story telling. I am currently reading Behind Closed Doors and listening to An Isolated Incident when at the pool. I am hooked!!!
Karin
I only forced myself to read this book past the first chapter on the recommendation of a friend. In general, most of the book consists of canned characters and a plot that can be seen miles in advance. The only reason for the two stars was that I've read worse books.
Holly
I loved all of Susan's books. I just wish she would write some more! They always had me going up to the end, sometimes even up to the last sentence.
Carol
For most of this book I was really annoyed. Now I know, in 2013, our thinking about rape cases and rape victims has changed drastically, not only from when the book was written (mid-1990's) but when the book is supposed to take place (1962 and on). But I was so angry at the main character's parents for their attitude toward their daughter being raped (this is not a spoiler), and then the daughter allowing the crime to affect her life in the way it did, that it was squirmy reading for me until th...more
Julie
I had a hard time reading this book, because I was so disgusted by the reactions of people, including the victim, her family, her doctor, to a victim of rape. It was truly repulsive how people blamed the victim. I'm sure the author was trying to point this out, and to empower the victim later on in the novel, but I just hated the way it was done. It was incredibly unrealistic, oversimplified (apparently the author thinks we're all morons who have no idea how a trial works), and pretty morally ab...more
Book Sniffer
Shocking and oh so good! Read my review on my blog: http://booksniffing.wordpress.com/201...
Orna
This is a book, written on the main characters sufferings, and how she dealt with being raped in the 60's. It explains how the victim had a chance opportunity at revenge, and took the bull by the horns. The author manages to portray the strength of the character with such conviction. It was book where I got completely wrapped up in the stoy, as if I was living through the torture myself. I could not help but feel for the character. A compelling read!
Greer Andjanetta
A story which begins with the savage rape and beating of a young woman. The central part of the book is "Harlequin-like" and describes her life for the next 30 yrs, recovery and making a new life. The final part of the book describes how she eventually meets her attacker again, now a candidate for President and how she exacts her revenge.
A somewhat draggy story most of the time but the unexpected ending leaves an impression with the reader.
Alex Mclane
I read this book the summer of 2011. I enjoyed the book because of the good flow and interesting subject matter. It was obvious Susan Sloan is knowledgeable about rape and the elements involved in the act. I thought the explanation of the difference between the acquaintance rapist and the stranger rapist was very well written. The flow from the original rape to the redemption was also written beautifully.
Melissa
All I can say is WOW. This story was terribly distrubing and sad. It read like a true story. I would have given "Guilt By Association" more stars but the editing could have been better and the graphic detail of the rape scenes really bothered me. The story itself was very good. It was quite heavy, disturbing, very detailed, and really got you thinking. If you like true crime-esk novels this id a must read.
Melinda Flaugher
I enjoyed how the book reminded me of the time period when sexual harrasment was the new ad upcoming crime in the American court. I was dissappointed that I already knew the end of the story before the last two hundred pages. Also, the story kept on going back and forth between time periods and missed out on certain pieces. I thought this was a great, quick vacation read for pure entertainment.
Dawn
Oct 09, 2008 Dawn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Anyone who loves a good suspense story.
Recommended to Dawn by: My friend Barb.
Loved this book. The was the second book I have read by Susan R. Sloan. Sloan keeps the story moving at a quick pace & leaves you shocked by the turn of events at the end of the book. I am anxious to read the other two books I own by Sloan. Unfortunately, she has not written any books in a few years. So far, she is 2 for 2 in books I really enjoyed.
Julie
I found this book on a "Books for Gifted Teens" list. The story is centered around the brutal rape of a co-ed and follows both parties for the next 30 years. The rape itself was difficult for me, but the story is quite compelling and it finishes with a dramatic twist that I didn't see coming. Surprisingly, I really enjoyed it.
Terri
A neighbor recommended this book and let me borrow it to read. It was a quick read, one of those you don't put down too long. My friend told me not to read the jacket cover because it ruins the surprise, so I didn't! It kept me thinking, "Hmmm... what will the surprise ending be???" I thought of a few as I went along.
Betsy
I greatly enjoyed this book, even though I found it hard to overlook the fact that the author has some sort of deep-seated hatred for the word "said." For heaven's sake, there is nothing wrong with "said." You don't have to use "expostulated" or "enthused" or any other tortured word in its place.
Sue
I couldn't finish this book because after a good start, it seemed to become very ordinary and tame. So, by the time I got to the concluding chapters my interest had seriously dwindled and I found myself frantically skipping through the pages to reach a predictable ending.
Cathleen
A Lifetime original movie script run amok. Preachy, incoherent, and in dire need of an good editor.

Sometimes my negative reactions are tempered after I attend the book discussion, but I cannot believe that anything is going to change my mind about this one.
Maurean
It took me several tries to read this one (I think it was the subject matter) but once I did, I couldn't put it down. Sloan is a good story-teller, and it wasn't your typical 'courtroom drama'. Worth the time.
★¸. • * ° *  Kathy,Ahmazing Book Faerie*°°*•.¸. ♥★
I read this a couple of years ago, but am going to reread asap! It was recommended by a friend, and I was pleased I read it. It was a really un-putdownable book great story, and one you could go back to to read again.
Patricia
I read this one a long time ago...it is typical of its genre, but keeps you riveted, wondering what will happen next. The payoff is the ending... of the best endings in a mystery I've ever read!
Mary
Jun 15, 2009 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Mary by: my daughter
Another great book by Sharon Sloan. I love the last page revalations she does in her books. Keeps you on the edge of your seat wondering what is going to be revealed at the end.
Betti
I thought the book was very good even though at times it was frustrating. I think you have to read the book keeping in mind that it was written to portray the 1962 era.

Eshel Quezada
When I read this novel I realized that even low class citizen must fight for his rights against the corruption and blasphemy. You must be brave to face all.
Shawna
Awesome book read it about 12 years ago or so and loved it. The plot was not predictable at all. It got a bit graphic but still a great read!
Char
Read this book many years ago. A great book. Had to read the last couple pages over and over as I was completely shocked how it ended.
Kim
One of the best books I've read. I worked in a bookstore and would hand this to anyone that came in looking for something good to read.
Karen
Mar 15, 2011 Karen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Karen by: Paula
This was a quick read but just a 2 star book for me until...the ending which I never saw coming. Have to now give it a 3*.
Blue Moon Book Lo...: September 2012 BOTM - "Guilt By Association" by Susan Sloan 2 14 Sep 27, 2012 06:19AM
Creepy and Wonderful rolled into one 2 7 Aug 27, 2012 09:51AM
  • The Best of Friends
  • The Red Scream
  • The Uncanny
  • Lost Souls
  • A Circle of Souls
  • Temporary Sanity (Marty Nickerson, #2)
  • Eden Burning
  • Henry and Clara
  • McNally's Puzzle
  • Miami, It's Murder (Britt Montero, #2)
  • The Richest Season
  • To the Devil a Daughter (Molly Fountain, #1) (Black Magic, #4)
  • Corruption of Blood
  • Mommy's Little Girl
  • The Resort
  • The Doctor's Wife
  • The Architect
  • A Ruling Passion
An Isolated Incident Act of God Behind Closed Doors Susan Sloan Omnibus: Guilt by Association, An Isolated Incident Karen Au Coeur De La Nuit

“hope had become despair, protestors had become terrorists, love had become sex, music had become noise, and us had become me.” 2 likes