Start by marking “Fallon Fallon Fallon” as Want to Read:
Fallon Fallon Fallon

Fallon Fallon Fallon

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  1,696 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Macon Fallon had never needed more than a deck of cards, a fast horse, and a ready gun; he was counting on those things now as he led an unsuspecting group of settlers to an abandoned mining town. But while Fallonprepared to pass the ghost town off as a gold mine in the making, a funny thing happened: a real-life community started to take shape in the town he'd christened ...more
Published August 31st 2004 by Bantam (first published February 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Fallon Fallon Fallon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fallon Fallon Fallon

Kit★
Well, I took my sweet old time reading this book, set it aside for a few days after getting into chapter one so I could get some writing done. Picked it back up today and flew through the rest of it right quick. I really enjoyed this little story. It had everything I was wanting, the Western setting, the hero who seems all tough and bad but is really a good guy on the inside, the tiny little sprinkle of a love interest, and some action. It was a super quick read once I sat myself to read it, and ...more
Rob Smith
Mar 02, 2015 Rob Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
This is the third of three books I'm reading in a row by Louis L'Amour and it is certainly the best.

The story seems to be taking a direction that it angles from and takes the reader on a journey of a man's self discovery. What adds so much to the story is that the reader also learns much about the main character. The thoughts about the character at first are likely to be different by the end of the book.

The writing is top notch. L'Amour builds this story differently than the two I just read befo
Robin Hobb
May 21, 2013 Robin Hobb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had a down day, sick in bed. And Louis L'Amour came through for me, as always. A solid western, with his deft characterization, excellent descriptiong and knowledge of all things western.
Benjamin Thomas
Feb 17, 2011 Benjamin Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
Fallon is the 4th book written by Louis L'Amour that I have read this year. Normally, that's about my max for L'Amour each year because I have other westerns on my “To Be Read” shelf by other authors. But I'm plum out (that's a little western expression there) and only have L'Amour books there now. That's OK though if they're as good as Fallon.

This book is the 65th L'Amour book I've read. That tells me I read a lot of books, or else I'm just getting old. A little of both I suspect. Ever since I
Kathie Zingler
Sep 17, 2015 Kathie Zingler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best

One of his best books because of the sly humor in it. Also no pretentious pronouncements, or any attempts to show knowledge about various subjects. a few of his books have that and are only saved by a good story line
Sep 12, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That ending, though. I laughed so hard. Not your typical Western romance!
Greg
Nov 20, 2015 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Louis L'Amour was one of my grandfather's favorites, so this is for Stanley "Pappy" Beaken…

It's your usual western, but with a twist--the hero wants to build a western town as part of an elaborate scheme to get a pile of cash so he can move on to San Francisco. Fallon, despite this unusual plot, is your typical Western hero--the rough scoundrel with a heart of gold. He's way too good to be true: the best shot, the best brawler, the best card player, the best, um, town-builder, and an all around
Megargee
Aug 13, 2015 Megargee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic 1963 oater by prolific Western writer Louis L'Amour. I had read that Fallon was one of his best and
it did not disappoint. If you were a fan of the Maverick TV series back in the day, you will enjoy this tale of a
self described unscrupulous con man, card shark and drifter who against his will discovers he does have scruples.
Chris
Say what you will about L'Amour's writing style, this is one engaging western. At times it seems as though I actually felt the dust and grit, and actually heard the six-guns and ricochets. The western is my favorite film genre, but even after setting that clear bias aside, it's a wonder that this short, sharp book hasn't yet been turned into a marketable screenplay. It seems like the story would write itself.
Sean Cozart
Jul 25, 2016 Sean Cozart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit, I was really impressed by this one. The vivid descriptions of the setting, characters and plot makes it a perfect novel for those home schooling their kids who need a good classic. If you have that need, Fallon and a great one for you. It is a story about a gambling drifter who didn't want any trouble, but when you're close to death, you take chances. He tricks a family to settle in a ghost town, claiming to be gold there and he tried to make a live town. Yet, in every town ther ...more
Villager
Sep 16, 2013 Villager rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a sucker for old fashioned westerns ... especially as told by Louis L'Amour. Fallon is a simple character study of a man in the wild west. This book contains gamblers, escape from hangings, conniving, ranching, Indian fights, outlaws, love, marriage and the building of a ghost town into a viable city. Easy read and highly recommended for anyone who wants to relax with a western!
Charity
Oct 04, 2010 Charity rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently discovered another library near my home and they have an entire bookshelf devoted to Louis L'Amour. Yay! I read all of his books when I was twelve and it has been a pleasure to become reacquainted.

Fallon is a fun, action-filled western. The descriptions of the west and of the society that was being built are a bonus, as the plot is pretty straightforward.
Joe
May 13, 2013 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
probably one of my favorite L'Amour novels. I never want to stop saying "grease your skids and stack your duds, for I shall down your meat-house" at inappropriate times. I'm not entirely convinced there ever was an appropriate time.

a little disappointed to find out he uses the line in other books too, but still.
Herb
Apr 24, 2013 Herb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of Louis' finer works and one I have never read before. Like many of his other stories, it does not fit the "typical western" stereotype and is action-packed and fast-paced. A good read for people who are not crazy about Westerns or for someone who has never read a book by this author.
Cedar Sanderson
A clever anti-hero, Fallon backs himself into a corner trying for a big score, and winding up the protector of the entire town, and with the most original shotgun wedding I think I've ever read to finish it all up.
Michael Kennard
Read most of Louis Lamour's books when I was in my late teens and early twenties. They are important to me as they were some of the first books that got me into the reading habit. For that I shall be forever grateful
Tim
Jul 24, 2015 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Louis L'Amour was one of the best western folklore writers ever to pick up a pen. I don't think I've ever read a book that I didn't enjoy, some multiple times. Fallon didn't disappoint me. Great book.
Foxfire
Mar 15, 2015 Foxfire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite Louis L'Amour books. Unlike most of the others, this one has a dash of humour. The concept of a ghost town coming back to life is enchanting. This is one to read again and again.
Jeff Dickison
Sep 21, 2015 Jeff Dickison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best L'Amour books I have ever read. This one really has a good sense of humor (a la Maverick) as a conman essentially cons himself. Highly recommended to all types of readers.
Jim Peoples
Aug 25, 2015 Jim Peoples rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
A different type of hero. Fallon is a gambler who cons a number of families into gold claim and builds a town from a dead gold mining city. Problem is, he commits himself a little too much, and has difficulty breaking away! Add to that the threat of attack by the Utes, a teenage with a hunger for gun fighting, and a persnickety young woman...and Fallon may have bit off more than he could chew!

Won't give away too much, but Fallon is written like the honorable thief. Plus, I was very satisfied wit
Ruth
Jan 24, 2015 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a while since I sat down and read a book all in one go, but I was in the mood for it tonight, and L'Amour books are generally just the right length for such an enterprise. This one's entertaining enough, but not remarkable, although I did find the disreputable hero amusing. Also, someone gave me a huge box of old, disintegrating copies recently, and I find that I enjoy them much better (with their deliciously cheesy 70s covers) than the newer editions.
Mandi Ellsworth
“Fallon” isn’t the most scrupulous of men, but it’s never bothered him before. He’s been happy in his life as a gambler and wanderer. But when a lynch mob drives him out of his most recent resting place, he meets up with a weary group of stranded settlers, and tricks them into settling a ghost town. All he wants, is someone to buy him out of his share of the town. He’s looking to get to San Francisco. Turns out, a band of outlaws and a respectable woman change his mind.

L’Amour opens this story w
Fredrick Danysh
Oct 15, 2014 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Matt Fallon flees a lynching after killing a man in self defense. He meets a group of immigrants heading west and along the way starts a town for the group. Then a band of outlaws riding in claiming ownership of the town site.
Maudie
Jul 12, 2014 Maudie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Satisfying Louis L'Amour read...I am attempting to read my late husband's L'Amour collection to a beloved grandson...sadly, school and other social activities has restricted his time at Nanas...so, it's a slow go...
Ashley
Jan 16, 2016 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Louis L'Amour book. I found myself laughing a couple of times because of the dialogue but I have to admit I was into it by the end. Quick and entertaining--I'll give it that!
Roosevelt Wright
A gambler falls on hardluck and stumbles upon a wagon train. He decides to cheat them out of their hard earned money by selling the interests in an abandoned town. When his plan is threatened he gets a challenge and the twists begin.

As usual, L'amour paints a picture of the good hearted bad guy who has his inner self challenged by circumstances. There is a girl, bad guys, shootouts and fights, typical L'Amour.

Also as usual, L'Amour's conclusions have storybook endings. They make you feel good,
Jim brayton
Mar 31, 2014 Jim brayton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Louis lamour always one of my favorite authors, I don't think I have ever read a book of his I didn't like.
Sophie
Aug 18, 2012 Sophie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-books
This is the first Louis L'Amour title I've read, and I enjoyed it. I like his spare style of writing, and I like how he makes his western setting come alive. Fallon is an interesting character, who thinks of himself as an opportunist who is not above cheating when necessary, but who is, in reality, "a gentleman in the best sense of the word." He establishes the town of Red Horse as a way to cheat people, but ends up falling in love with his creation, and along the way, we get gun play, gambling, ...more
Hilary Williamson
Love. Just all of them. On a pretty real kick at the moment.
Ronald
May 07, 2016 Ronald rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
read some time in 1991
  • The Spirit of the Border
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • Law of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #5)
  • Appaloosa (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #1)
  • Nevada! (Wagons West, #8)
  • The Untamed
  • The Buckskin Line (Texas Rangers, #1)
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...