Start by marking “Bedeviled Eggs (Cackleberry Club, #3)” as Want to Read:
Bedeviled Eggs (Cackleberry Club, #3)

Bedeviled Eggs (Cackleberry Club #3)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  992 Ratings  ·  103 Reviews
The ladies at the Cackleberry Club café are busy preparing for Halloween. But someone's jumped the gun on the tricks. As mayoral candidate Chuck Peebler leaves the café, he gets struck with a crossbow arrow and is killed instantly. And when another murder occurs on the historical society's Quilt Trail, the Cackleberry Club needs to sniff out the bad egg-before he strikes a ...more
Published December 7th 2010 by Berkley

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeCatering to Nobody by Diane Mott DavidsonFudge Cupcake Murder by Joanne FlukeA Dead Sister by Anna Celeste BurkeDying for Chocolate by Diane Mott Davidson
Mysteries in Good Taste!
92nd out of 354 books — 285 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussBreakfast at Tiffany's by Truman CapoteFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlThree Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson
Morning Things
27th out of 149 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Courtney Sheets
May 17, 2011 Courtney Sheets rated it it was ok
This is not my favorite book by Laura Child and I may not read any more of this series. The killer literally is discovered in the last 15 pages completely out of the blue with almost not build up or clues to point to him. The reader is left scratching their head with a great big WTF running through their minds. I will stick with Child's tea shop series instead.
Ivy
Jul 14, 2011 Ivy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-books-read
This book was okay but at the same time was boring in parts. It seemed like Suzanne spent more time having parties for her business then she did trying to solve the mystery. And then about the time I thought she was finally going to get down to business and try to figure out who the killer was the killer confessed. It was not a good way to end this book...all of a sudden he was there. Struck me as anti climatic ending.
Sandy
Jul 23, 2016 Sandy rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I gave this book a rating of 3 maybe a little higher because I did not feel the author did a very good job of leading up to the murderer. I felt like she was more interested in the season - that of Halloween then she was in leaving clues to the real killer. All the red herrings were there and done very well but she missed the important part. I still love the main characters and she seemed true to them but the real function of the book was the mystery and I did not feel it was well done.

The plot
Suzanne
Nov 13, 2012 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Laura Childs' "Cackleberry Club" mysteries are starting to gain some traction, and I'm enjoying how the plot line continues to develop. After reading the last two "Tea Shop" mysteries, I'm starting to see that series falter, and perhaps that is because she is putting more effort into new series' like the Cackleberry Club Mysteries.

Suzanne, co-owner of the Cackleberry Club, along with Toni and Petra find themselves in trouble again when a patron is shot to death behind the restaurant with a bow
Angela
Oct 18, 2013 Angela rated it it was amazing
The year is in full swing and now the ladies of the Cackleberry Club are hoping things are getting back to normal after all their mysteries of murder and mayhem. Their fall starts out that way, calm and normal, but it soon turns to murder, mayhem, and suspicion. The small town of Kindred is up for mayoral elections and they small town can't wait to get the old mayor out and Chuck Peebler in. His prospects of being the new mayor are soaring! However, he is soon stopped dead in his tracks...litera ...more
Carol
Apr 22, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it
I love this series and this one didn't disappoint. Mayoral candidate, Chuck Peebler is shot with a crossbow while standing next to Suzanne on the back step of the Cackleberry Club. And if that's not bad enough another citizen of the town is killed, again in an awful way. What is happening in this quiet little town. It takes both Suzanne and the Sheriff to get to the bottom of the who and the why.
Christine
Mar 24, 2012 Christine rated it liked it
I like the characters and the general feel of this series, but it bounces around A LOT. It's got some tea, it's got some crafts, it's got some food, it's got some small-town ridiculous phrases--a little of everything but it all seems kind of forced. It's like she's trying to please everyone who's ever enjoyed cozies and instead she's just confusing me.
Fiona
May 16, 2014 Fiona rated it it was ok
Potentially a spoiler alert!?

An okay read though it didn't keep me enthralled the entire way through and didn't seem to all fit together. I continued reading till the end. I felt the ending was a little too hasty, so much so that it couldn't even remember how the 'killer fit in'.
'jean
Feb 21, 2012 'jean rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Just okay. I felt it did not hang together as well as some of her prior stories. I guess when authors start churning out books in the same vein, they seem less careful about sufficient character and plot development. It was still a fun read, a good way to begin winter break.
Annette Drake
Feb 10, 2015 Annette Drake rated it liked it
This is the first book I've read from Ms. Childs, and I've since borrowed another one from the library. I like the characters and the setting. I enjoyed the recipes, and I've already made one. I kinda wish the author would have been more forthcoming with the clues. I had no idea who the culprit was, and to be honest, if he hadn't attacked the protagonist in the end, I don't think anybody else would have. Plus, it seemed like there were a couple of clues, like the key card, that were started but ...more
Charissa Wilkinson
Jan 27, 2015 Charissa Wilkinson rated it liked it
Shelves: other
Overview: After a successful “Read Dating Night” at the Cackleberry Club, Suzanne walks Chuck Peebler out to his car. One minute, Peebler is just fine and dandy, the next minute, he is sporting a rather fatal piece of headgear. Why would anyone want to kill such a good, upstanding man?

Likes: The idea of the Cackleberry Club is a good one. I personally liked the Sherriff and Sam. Petra handled the restaurant part of the Club very well. Isn’t the cook/dishwasher the most important job?

Dislikes: Ot
Kimberly
Feb 22, 2016 Kimberly rated it liked it
The ladies of the Cackleberry Club are busy preparing for a big Halloween bash. However, things gets spooky quite quickly when a mayoral candidate is shot down with a crossbow arrow outside of the popular cafe. If that's not enough, there's a second gruesome murder, the discovery of some illegal behavior, and a few mysterious clues to work through.

It has been nearly six years since I read the first two book in this series. However, I had no problem dropping right back into the charming Cacklebe
Crystal
Jan 05, 2011 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Bedeviled Eggs was a pleasure to read. From the first page I was sucked into the world of The Cackleberry Club with Petra, Suzanne and Toni. As I have mentioned before, I love books and series centered around small-town life and this one delivers on that.

I thought the mystery was well-done and I did not figure out who the bad guy was before it was revealed to me so that was a plus. The story was finished well and the mystery/suspense plot kept me going through the book. I'm not sure why I don't
Michelle
Jun 18, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
The third book in the Cackleberry Club series takes place just before Halloween. The race for mayor is heating up and the ladies are preparing for several big events, including the historical society Quilt tour, a private catering event for the local celebrity author, and their big Halloween bash. While at a "read" dating event (like speed dating, excep people talk about the books they like to see if they are compatible) at the club, mayoral candidate Chuck Peeble gets into a big argument with J ...more
Nora-adrienne
Jan 16, 2011 Nora-adrienne rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozies
Bedeviled Eggs
By: Laura Childs
Copyright December 2010

With Halloween on the way the owners of The Cackleberry Club are busier then a one armed paper hanger. The story opens with the ladies running a “Read Dating” event. It’s their version of speed dating, with people discussing their book habits to learn if they are compatible. They also have plans for a huge Halloween extravaganza for the community. They plan on having games, good food and live music.

As is always the case when you plan for thing
Marlyn
Dec 14, 2010 Marlyn rated it really liked it
The Cackleberry Club Cafe is owned and run by Suzanne Dietz and her two best friends Petra and Toni. It's a charming place, serving breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea. The building also houses the Knitting Nest and the Book Nook. The three women are extremely creative in their programming, holding themed teas and parties.

This book (the third in the series) opens during a "read dating" event where the participants register with information about their favourite authors. The evening is progressin
Beverly
Aug 20, 2011 Beverly rated it really liked it
From the back of the book:

"After losing their husbands, Suzanne, Toni, and Petra bonded, gained a new found independence as well as a wealth of support, inspiration, home baked goods, and their own business. But who have dreamed that when the Cackleberry Club Cafe opened its doors, the three women would be serving justice to criminals . . .

Getting ready for Halloween, the ladies at the Cackleberry Club cafe are busy carving jack-o-lanters, stocking up on candy, and baking pumpkin bread. But some
Diane
Oct 02, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This is the third book in the Cackleberry Club mystery series. The rival mayoral candidate Chuck Peebler is murdered by crossbow right outside the club. Deputy Helpern is found murdered in a out of the way place while Suzanne and Toni check out the upcoming Quilt Trail being sponsored by the Cackleberry Club and the Historical Society. All the previous characters return including Carmen Copeland. Good reads like her Tea Shop mysteries.
Nancy H
Mar 28, 2014 Nancy H rated it liked it
Another good entry in the Cackleberry Club series, this one has the ladies getting ready for Halloween but having some spooky things happen to them in the meantime. Suzanne almost gets shot with an arrow when the person standing beside her does. She later find another murder victim and decides that she and her friends will help the sheriff solve the murders before they, too, are killed.
Debbie
Feb 07, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. The characters are endearing and likeable on the whole, there are a few that aren't but then again you're not supposed to. The murders kept me guessing and frankly at the end the one still didn't seem to make sense to me, and some of the clues just weren't that helpful to me. However, it was still a good read, I love the Cackleberry Club and wish there was one around here, I would be there frequently.
Angela Cosentino
Jun 18, 2015 Angela Cosentino rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Fun & light-hearted cozy series. Set in a breakfast & lunch shop with a Book Nook and a Knitter's Corner in the questionable midwest. Easy and fast read. This is #3 in the Crackleberry Club mystery series by Laura Childs. Ms. Childs has two other cozy mystery series. The Tea Shop Mysteries and Scrapbook Mysteries. Recipes are included at the end of the book.
Ann
Dec 05, 2015 Ann rated it really liked it
The ladies of the Cackleberry Club are in the middle of another mystery when the candidate for mayor is killed by a crossbow in their back yard. When a sheriff's deputy is the next to be murdered, Suzanne and her friends begin to look into things. This was a good story and I love the recipes that are always in the back of the books
Kathy
Apr 30, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: paperback
As with the other books in this series, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am finding the characters likable and easy to get to know. The plot is interesting and I find that Suzanne, Petra and Toni have a way of balancing out each other. And Sheriff Doogie is a lot smarter than he looks! I highly recommend.
Chantelle (aka the Blogmonstar)
See full review here: http://blog.butterflytempest.net/book...

I haven’t read the first two Cackleberry Club novels, and after reading Bedeviled Eggs, I am definitely going to find them and read them. I like a good cozy mystery, and I think Laura Childs did nicely on this one. It mentions things that have occured, but only in a brief manner, so you are not reliant on the previous books in the series to figure out what is going to happen in this one.

It’s hard to say a lot more without spoiling the
Dharia Scarab
May 24, 2014 Dharia Scarab rated it liked it

4 sta
Karen
Jan 09, 2012 Karen rated it liked it
The ladies at the Cackleberry Club café are busy preparing for Halloween. But someone's jumped the gun on the tricks. As mayoral candidate Chuck Peebler leaves the café, he gets struck with a crossbow arrow and is killed instantly. And when another murder occurs on the historical society's Quilt Trail, the Cackleberry Club needs to sniff out the bad egg-before he strikes again.
I did finish this book, but never really got into - maybe there were too many main characters in the women who run the r
Patty
Sep 12, 2011 Patty rated it really liked it
I'm still enjoying this series. Suzanne and her friends that own the Crackleberry Club are a lot of fun and have a special relationship.

When a local candidate for mayor is killed with a crossbow, while standing beside Suzanne, it spurs Suzanne to help out local sheriff Doogie to find who killed the man, and why.

Filled with lots of hints and tips for cooking eggs and other goodies as well as some full recipes at the end of the book, Childs is excellent at mixing mystery with cooking, reading and
Wendi
Dec 12, 2014 Wendi rated it really liked it
This was not my favorite in this series but it was a fun one just the same. It's always fun to see what the gals from the Cackleberry Club are up to and what new murder case in their small town they will have to help solve in each book. Very fun cozies to read in between my more hard core ones.
Lisa
Apr 09, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
Cross a restaurant / book store / knitting shop with Halloween in a small town and you have the recipe for a murder adventure that's enjoyable. The antics are a little hard to believe but the book is entertaining.
Sally Lindsay-briggs
May 22, 2015 Sally Lindsay-briggs rated it really liked it
This doubly delightful, delicious murder mystery was from a $2 library bag sale and well worth it. I loved the small town allure, the funny parts and the Cackleberry camaraderie. I'm placing my order for more of this series pronto!
Madison Mega-Mara...: Bedeviled Eggs 1 2 Feb 19, 2012 09:14AM
  • The Diva Haunts the House (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #5)
  • Deadly Notions (A Southern Sewing Circle, #4)
  • Sentenced to Death (Booktown Mystery, #5)
  • Powdered Peril (Donut Shop Mystery, #8)
  • Buttons and Bones (A Needlecraft Mystery, #14)
  • Pepperoni Pizza Can Be Murder (Pizza Lovers, #2)
  • Wicked Witch Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #16)
  • Murder by the Slice (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #2)
  • Lost and Fondue (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Chocolate Dipped Death (A Candy Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Grace Interrupted (Manor House Mystery, #2)
  • Murder in Miniature (Miniature Mystery, #1)
  • A Catered Halloween (A Mystery with Recipes, #5)
  • A Killer Crop (Orchard, #4)
Laura Childs is a pseudonym for Gerry Schmitt and she is the best-selling author of the Tea Shop Mysteries, the Scrapbook Mysteries, and the Cackleberry Club Mysteries.

Laura Childs is the New York Times bestselling author of the Tea Shop Mysteries, Scrapbook Mysteries, and Cackleberry Club Mysteries. In her previous life she was CEO/Creative Director of her own marketing firm and authored several
More about Laura Childs...

Cackleberry Club (6 books)
  • Eggs in Purgatory (Cackleberry Club, #1)
  • Eggs Benedict Arnold (Cackleberry Club, #2)
  • Stake & Eggs (Cackleberry Club, #4)
  • Eggs in a Casket (Cackleberry Club, #5)
  • Scorched Eggs (Cackleberry Club, #6)