Start by marking “Murder in Montmartre (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #6)” as Want to Read:
Murder in Montmartre (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #6)

Murder in Montmartre (Aimee Leduc Investigations #6)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  740 ratings  ·  73 reviews
Aimée’s childhood friend, Laure, is a policewoman. Her partner, Jacques, has set up a meeting in Montmartre with an informer. When Laure reluctantly goes along as backup, Jacques is lured to an icy rooftop, where he is shot to death. Laure’s gun has been fired, gunpowder residue is found on her hands, and she is charged with her partner’s murder.

The police close ranks aga...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Soho Crime (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Murder in Montmartre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in Montmartre

Lewis Weinstein
I read two of Cara Black's Aimee Leduc series some years ago, and although I don't have a sharp memory of either one, my general feeling is that they were "pretty good" stories with great atmosphere.

I'm sorry I can't say the same about this one. Too many characters, jumbled all together without clear characterization and those great "refresher" details that allow the reader ro remember them the next time they appear. The plot was far-fetched and improbable, and not all that compelling. I never...more
Tim
I had high hopes for this book, a woman author (Cara Black) new to me, set in Paris, atmospheric cover—what's not to like? But the cover didn't carry it for me, nor did the series detective, Aimée Leduc, who seems to be able to run up a sleety, cobbled hill in Montmartre wearing heels. As great as I'm sure she looks, I have to ask: if you're gonna stake out a building at night or chase bad guys, and its winter, why in the world do you wear a short skirt? Visiting Paris was fun, however. Black ev...more
Terri Lynn
I didn't like this 6th book in Cara Black's Aimee Leduc series as well as the ones that came before but still enjoyed reading it.

Private detective Aimee Leduc attends a retirement party for a flic (cop) who used to work with her father when he was on the Paris force. Her good friend Laure who she had known since childhood (their dads were both cops) is now a flic. Laure and her partner Jacques have a spat at the restaurant before he asks her to go with him as backup to meet an informant.

Before t...more
Jim
CARA BLACK's sixth book in her Paris-set mysteries, MURDER IN MONTMARTRE (ISBN 978-1569474457, trade paperback, $14.00), has Aimee Leduc looking for the perps who shot the police partner of her childhood friend, Laure Rousseau. The perps framed Laure who lies comatose in a police ward in a hospital. Aimee's father and Laure's had worked together in the Paris police department. Aimee's mission is to save her friend.

It's midwinter 1994-1995 and Corsican Separatists are becoming active, again. Are...more
Vivian Valvano
I passed more time wandering through Paris with Aimee - although it was really more like running through Paris. Black doesn't flesh out anything. She relies far too much on trying to tantalize you with Paris venues rather than develop strong characterizations or ingenious plot lines. The Leduc mysteries are for lazy reading - clearing your mind from a hard day, one eye and ear on the television. Go to Benjamin Black for thoughtful investigations.
Sharon
Computer detective Aimee Leduc just can't seem to stay out of trouble. This time, while she's trying to help clear a childhood friend, police officer Laure Rousseau, who has been accused of shooting her partner, Leduc runs afoul of Corsican separatists.

The thing I like best about this series is Aimee herself. She's not perfect, having her own demons to manage (almost always relating to her father's death). This time, she's also wrestling with the fact that her boyfriend left her ... and with try...more
Nancy
Aimée’s childhood friend, Laure, is a policewoman. Her partner, Jacques, has set up a meeting in Montmartre with an informer. When Laure goes along as backup, Jacques is lured to a rooftop, where he is shot to death. Laure’s gun has been fired, gunpowder residue is on her hands, and she is charged with her partner’s murder.

The police close ranks against the alleged cop killer. Aimée is determined to clear Laure’s name. In doing so, she encounters separatist terrorists, Montmartre prostitutes, a...more
Julie H.
Black has been incredibly clever in how she doles out the details of Aimee's father's violent death in the course of a surveillance-gone-horribly-wrong, she's building nicely to a better understanding of the Aimee-Rene dynamic, and has given us a delightfully stubborn (who can't relate to that?), clever and resourceful protagonist. In this outing, much of which occurs in/around Montmartre as the book's name implies, Aimee must investigate circumstances in which she became unwittingly involved so...more
Booknblues
One of the signals of a good mystery series to me is if you can pick up a book well into the series and read it as a stand alone and Murder in Montmartre by Cara Black stands up to this test. Murder in Montmartre is the sixth book of the Aimee Leduc series and immediately pulled me in without making me feel lost and confused about the back story or giving me too much extraneous information about it.

Aimee Leduc is a private eye, who specializes in computer investigations. She is young, chic, pert...more
Breen
Totally into this mystery series - Love the strong main character; a WOMAN private detective named Aimee Leduc. I find all of the books interesting and relatively fast-paced reads, but often they gte a bit muddled in the unraveling of the mystery and the dialogues between characters also is not always clear. You can't always tell who is the speaker - but nontheless, I still love the fact that it takes place in Paris and each book takes place in a different neighborhood of the city. Cara Black do...more
Nancy
Black takes the reader around Paris arrondissement by arrondissement. This mystery is set in, of course, Montmartre with it's legacy of artists, bohos, and twisting narrow streets and alleys. Paris is always as much a character as the humans in Black's stories and this book is no exception. The plot has the twists, turns and the pacing I've come to expect in Black's mysteries. I enjoy that the author weaves in elements of French history and politics that one wouldn't find in a guidebook. Black's...more
Kelly Toshach
This was a fun read because I'll be spending a month in Montmartre this summer. I read the books out of order because I was eager to read about my future haunts. I'm looking forward to reading the first book in the series next.
Elli
Finished another in this enjoyable Aimee LeDuc series. She's supposed to be a computer specialist detective, but usually does not turn out that way. A lot of her adventures and problems are of her own making in trying to help a friend or learn more about what really happened with her deceased parents about which there is much confusion. This episode involves the Corsican separatist movement, the behavior codes of the people and the effects it has on others, especially countries where the people...more
Chris
One of the few books my wife and I have both read. She recommended it to me, and I thought it'd be good light reading for our vacation. Light reading's not my forte, and I'm happy for the diversion.

This was just fun -- a classic mystery with an appealing protagonist in a beautiful part of Paris. Cara Black creates a large number of story threads to interweave, but it's not overwhelming and she brings them together at the end with care and suspense.

The only reason I didn't give this more stars is...more
R123
I don't quite know what I expected from this book. Maybe some take-me-back-to-Paris type imagery which was evidently present although for my taste, Black over complicated things, I was intrigued at the start, but completely lost interest by the end I literally skimmed the last few pages just to find out whodunnit. I will not be reading another one of her books any time soon. Need something light and humorous to read now hahah
Stephanie Tanton
Love Cara's writing. Always feel like I am in Paris and experiencing the neighborhoods and history. I've read all of her books and can't wait for the next one.
Andrea

Aimee Leduc has to be one of my favourite fictional detectives and Cara Black is definitely one of my favourite authors. Each book in this series has a seperate mystery and yet threaded throughout is a mystery in Aimee's life that is ongoing. So it is definitely best to start from the beginning and work your way through. Paris is also a major character in the books and the various ethnic groups that live there. The desriptions of both the city and it's people make the reader feel as if they ar...more
This is the 6th in a series, and not my favorite of the lot. However, I gave it 5 stars because taken as part of the series it was great. Black evokes Paris so clearly, it is like being there, and not just being there, but like living there. This story, while complete in itself as a mystery, really forwards the secondary plot of her father's death from the previous entries in the series. If you haven't read this author, dint start here, read this series in order from the beginning, you'll be gla...more
Denise
Another in the popular mystery series by Cara Black; these are set in Paris and she does a very good job of describing the city and of making you feel like you are right there. I like to refer to my map of Paris while reading along to see the actual locations of streets and Metro stops. The heroine/detective Aimee is the usual female sleuth--very athletic (always hanging off of roof tops), bad luck with men, and can't cook. Diverting. The ending of this one didn't come together that neatly.
Arlene Miller
Gave up. Didn't like it. Couldn't get interested.
Dalton
I do not recommend this book. After reading "White Tiger," which is a great book about a murder, I tried to find more mysteries that I might enjoy. I did not enjoy this book at all. I constantly became bored and the plot was not original I have read many other books with the same plot about a cop that was accused of murder. I have even seen the plot in a couple television shows. I would recommend any other book besides this. Thank you for reading.
Soho Press
The sixth Aimee Leduc investigation, set in Paris. In this book, an old friend of Aimee's, a police officer, is implicated in the murder of her partner. Aimee doesn't believe her friend Laure could possibly be guilty, and sets out to clear her name. I like this book because it sheds more light on Aimee's relationship with her late beloved father, the cop-turned-private investigator who is always a kind of benevolent shadow over Aimee in her work.
Val Sanford
Corsican anarchists invade this story, leading Aimee through underground quarries and across ice rooftops; leading her to the center of the coverup and the ghosts that haunt her. She comes face to face with the men who framed her father, and saves Paris from a powerful bombing. Though Guy has left her, she keeps pushing through the pain and understands, too late, that life and death both hold secrets.
Martin Arrowsmith
Once again, Cara Black manages to capture the essence of Paris. This time around Montmarte. Each book in the series explores a different arrondisment and a different aspect of French history. This book has the Corsican independence movement at its heart. Aimee Leduc is an interesting protagonist but the search for her father's killers is dragging on a bit too much. Overall, very enjoyable!
Susan
Another excellent Aimee LeDuc mystery! The
Paris is so well evoked that I can smell the
croissants and hear the French in my head,
as I read.i just adore Aimee and her clever
partner. And the mystery is always worth
solving.
Linda
Jul 02, 2008 Linda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Linda by: newspaper book review
The first of the Cara Black books to catch my attention - I read about the book in a newspaper book review, love all things French (as well as whodunits)and so asked the local librarian to please consider ordering "Murder in Montmartre" - I enjoy the sense of 'being there' as well as the history that Cara Black weaves into the story. All of the books in this series are enjoyable.
MaryWeatherwell
Sep 09, 2007 MaryWeatherwell is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Passable for the first hundred pages or so, but this novel gets dragged down by uneven pacing and a dearth of any real plot development for several chapters. Whether those issues are the fault of the writer or editor, I'm not sure -- in any case, I keep inching this one ever closer to the edge of my bed. I'll give it a week before banishing it entirely.
Phoebe
Another decent installment. Still enjoying the insights into Parisian geography, history and culture. In this one: Corsican Separatists and the neighborhood of Montmartre. Rene is still an awesome friend and partner, and I'm glad Aimee is getting closer to the truth about her father. On to the next!

Format: Kindle AZW, San Francisco Library
Renee
This mystery by Cara Black renewed my interest in PI Aimee Leduc and the varied cast of characters that make up her milieu. The story was filled with descriptions of Montmartre, a seemingly fascinating part of Paris. The descriptions of this part of the great city are quite enticing and make me want to visit some day.
Sharon
Finished this one recently though I've been laboring through it for several months. PI Aimée Leduc gets pulled into a case involving the Corsican separatist underground movement, when her childhood friend,a rookie police officer, is wounded and her partner killed in an ambush that seems to be linked to the Corsicans.
  • Winter of Secrets (Constable Molly Smith #3)
  • The Père-Lachaise Mystery (Victor Legris, #2)
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Sex & Love in the City of Light
  • Maigret Loses His Temper
  • Samaritan's Secret
  • The Demon of Dakar (Ann Lindell, #7)
  • Too Many Cooks (Angie Amalfi, #2)
  • Cold Comfort (Officer Gunnhilder #2)
  • Wash This Blood Clean from My Hand (Commissaire Adamsberg, #6)
  • A Town Like Paris: Falling in Love in the City of Light
  • Sticky Fingers (A Roxy Abruzzo Mystery #2)
  • A Vine in the Blood: A Chief Inspector Mario Silva Investigation
  • Death of a Nationalist (Tejada, #1)
  • The Crypt Thief
  • Suffer the Little Children (Commissario  Guido Brunetti, #16)
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
Cara Black frequents a Paris little known outside the beaten tourist track. A Paris she discovers on research trips and interviews with French police, private detectives and café owners. She lives in San Francisco with her husband, a bookseller, and their teenage son. She is a San Francisco Library Laureate and a member of the Paris Sociéte Historique in the Marais. Her nationally bestselling and...more
More about Cara Black...
Murder in the Marais (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #1) Murder in Belleville (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #2) Murder in the Sentier (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #3) Murder on the Ile Saint-Louis (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #7) Murder in the Bastille (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #4)