Start by marking “Ten in the Bed” as Want to Read:
Ten in the Bed

Ten in the Bed

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  30 reviews
A favorite nursery rhyme and counting book gets a fresh twist as Cabrera takes young readers on a new adventure with every verse. Full color.
Published September 1st 2006 by Holiday House (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Ten in the Bed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten in the Bed

midnightfaerie
Cabrera is a great author for the younger crowd. My twin 3 yr old's loved it. Colorful fun pictures that helps get the child engaged and keeps them engaged. The illustrations were paintings that had a unique brushstroke and the colors were so vibrant! Cabrera has a style all her own. Loved the paintings especially! Also, many of her books have themes that are popular children’s songs, so immediately her books grabbed my preschoolers attention. A great addition to any children's library.
Ross Oates
Ten in the bed by Jane Cabrera is a story about a boy who is trying to sleep with ten cuddly animals in his bed, he is tired and wants more room so he can sleep. As he rolls over each animal falls out until eventually he is left alone in the bed. Cold and lonely he gets them all to get back into the bed before he goes to sleep satisfied.The fantastic illustrations and playful text makes this an excellent read aloud book. This was the story of the week in my Year 2 class last week and the childre ...more
Sarah Shanahan
This vibrant witty book comprises of counting from one to ten but with a twist on a well know nursery rhyme.

There are 10 cuddly animals in the bed, the Little one is tired and wants more room so he can sleep.
There are ten in the bed and the Little one said, ‘Move over, Move over.’ It is not just anyone in particular that falls out of the bed – first it is the Snorer, then the Cook, the Trumpeter, the Doctor, the Ballerina, the Pirate, the Princess, the Pilot, and last but by no means least the
Vivian
I love ALL Cabrera's books. We built up to introducing this as the first book used in today's story time on "Being Late" by...

singing Hello everybody let’s clap our hands… (begin with clapping hands, slapping knees, touching toes, touching nose, --as many actions as needed to create energy and get everyone together—end today with “roll our arms”.

And then playing:
Roll, roll, roll your arms as s-l-o-w-l-y as you can
Roll, roll, roll, your arms as quickly as you can!
As you finish keep rolling your a
Kristina
singing book - interesting take on old classic, chance to talk about which animals are falling out of the bed
Lajune Neal
I love this children's book! It reminds me of another book I read which was another version of this one with little kids that I first read. They both give the same concept of someone in the story telling everyone else to roll over until gets to the last person, but they end a little differently.
This one ends with them all playing around and they end up going to bed while the other one ends with the other kids pulling the little one out of the bed and they all go outside to play. Both versions of
Nikki
My daughter loves when I read this to her.
Molly
A new twist on an old classic.
Kathryn
This would be a good book to use for children in Kindergarten. This is a fun book that can also be sung as a song to help your children become actively engaged in it! You can talk about counting up as well as backwards and you can also introduce addition and subtraction with this book. It would be fun to have your students create their own story similar to this one by using whatever number they choose and creating their own illustrations to accompany it!
Karen
This is another book that my little always picks out for himself, so I would guess that makes this a perfect book for a toddler/preschooler.

You probably remember the song from your childhood -- if not the tune is simple and easy to pick up -- but Jane Cabrera changes the words a bit. For example, the first one out of bed is the snorer -- Hooray! Those slight changes in the text make for some fun illustrations.
Asho
I've been singing this tune to my baby since he was a few days old swaddled up like a baby burrito, so it was fun to find a book that plays on this familiar-to-him song. It's a cute way to introduce different terms for movement since the traditional "rolled over" is replaced with "groaned over," "leaped over," "bounced over," and so on. My son likes the colorful pictures.
Kristie
Children will enjoy this version of the familiar rhyme. Text is promiment and visually pleasing. The repetitiveness of the phrases give children a chance to participate. For added fun, pause before the story tells who falls out of the bed next- allow the children to fill in the blank by watching the pictures.
Velita
This book is a play on a nursery rhyme. It starts out with 10 animals on a bed and then they all start falling off...but all the animals have special skills like doctor or cook. Kids learn to count backwards and experience a pattern in rhyming. It's a fun book for students to read on their own.
Laneika Cason
PB16. Nice twist to the original Ten in the Bed and great pictures that nicely complimented the text. I liked how each animal explored their imaginations and pretended to be a pilot, a ballerina, an astronaut, and so on.
Elizabeth
Another wonderful sing-along Jane Cabrera book with awesome illustrations. The thought of Catherine singing along "WOLL OWER" and "FOW [dramatic pause] OOUUUWWW" will make me smile for the rest of my life.
Ann
Ten in the bed uses repetition and silliness to bring on the giggles. It's one of the first books children can 'read' as they can quickly follow along. It is a book that is requested over and over. Roll over.
Meg McGregor
The illustrations are first rate - vibrant and literally jump off the page - just like all the animal pals do. Great fun!
Laurie
I didn't like this one as much as her other books, but my three year old asked me to sing it three times in a row.
Piper
I can recite this book almost all by myself! But I usually only choose to do so when Mama thinks I'm asleep...
Sabrina
I figure I may as well add some of Justin's favorites since I read them more than any of my books LOL
Joy
Cute illustrations and playful text make this a fun read aloud for kids.
Gail
Good for three and younger, also perhaps with kindergarten ESL students.
Jenny
Cute version of the song. I liked how the bed/animals changed on each page.
Michele
Great artwork and story. My daughter loves the bunny astronaut. I like it, too.
Janet
An enduring rhyme/song with interesting imaginative illustrations.
Robandsuzie
One my son got from school. It is a great bedtime story for us!
Megan
An imaginative take on the classic children's song.
Xiaohui Yang
count from 10 to 1
repetitive pattern book
Heather
Cute concept. Sang along. Kids like it.
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • Tip Tip Dig Dig
  • This Little Chick
  • Clip-Clop
  • 1, 2, 3 to the Zoo
  • Peek-a-Zoo!
  • Tuck Me In!
  • The Croaky Pokey!
  • What Shall We Do With The Boo Hoo Baby?
  • Worms for Lunch?
  • Tiny Little Fly
  • Read It, Don't Eat It!
  • Penguins, Penguins, Everywhere!
  • The Thingamabob
  • Farmyard Beat
  • Big Fat Hen
  • Starry Safari
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
If You're Happy and You Know It! Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star Cat's Colors The Wheels on the Bus Mommy, Carry Me Please!