Start by marking “Bed Number Ten” as Want to Read:
Bed Number Ten

Bed Number Ten

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  224 ratings  ·  37 reviews
A patient's personal view of long term care. Seen through the eyes of syndrome, this moving book takes you through the psychological and physical pain of an elev en month hospital stay. BED NUMBER TEN reads like a compelling novel, but is entirely factual.
Published March 31st 1989 by CRC Press (first published February 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Bed Number Ten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bed Number Ten

Lisa
Having had Guillian-Barre Syndrome, this book was absolutely amazing. Although my recovery was much faster than Susan's, I was able to relate to a lot of the fears, hurdles and victories described in this book! It also made me feel extremely lucky to (a) have had the fabulous care I had from compassionate nurses and doctors, (b) have received awesome drugs and was knocked out for most of the time I was on the ventilator, and (c) have gotten this hideous disease in 2009 and not 1980! If not for t ...more
bookczuk
This is one of those books you hear about as a nurse. It does not paint a pretty picture of health care. It's very tempting to refer to patients by diagnoses or conditions, but if you are in health care, and there to be of service, it is important for you and for your patient to keep humanity at the forefront. My heart did go out to the author. But not all health care providers are insensitive boobs; some of us do care and struggle to keep the human touch and recognition alive. I came away more ...more
Liz Whittaker
This should be required reading for any person even thinking about going into the healthcare profession. The story line is that of a woman who contracts Guillian Barre' Syndrome. If you are unfamiliar with this dreaded virus I will give you a few details. It strikes randomly, it leaves its victim paralysed but with the ability to feel pain, and it takes from one to two years to get over the symptoms. "Bed Number Ten" tells of the journey of one woman who battles the virus and the staff meant to ...more
Erin
Jan 02, 2013 Erin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I could not imagine going through what Mrs. Baier went through and I wonder how she is doing now, 32 years later. I think that this book will make me a better nurse as I begin my new career. I am hopeful that the profession as a whole has improved since that time and that our caring will continue to improve for our patients and their families.
Sharon
A good and insightful book about what it's like to be a patient in the ICU. As a nursing student, it was a helpful tool for me to become more sensitive to the reality of being in such an environment.

A good read, but I felt that it dragged on for too long and that some things felt very redundant.
Dorothy Jarosz
as a nurse it hurt me to see how this poor women was treated by hospital staff. should be required reading for nursing students
Linda
I read this book many years ago and it was one of the best books I have ever read. It showed me what to look for if someone I love is ever in a coma. The woman talked about how awful some of the nurses would treat her, bad things that they would say and how ungentle they would treat her believing she could not feel anything. She felt pain, heard things going on around her. It was awful what she went through by some of the aides and nurses, but some were very caring and gentle to her. It is a gre ...more
Paula Welter
This is a bibliography by a woman who became incapacitated with Gillian barre' syndrome. Her main point of the story besides to describe the horrific experience of being unable to move or talk for nearly a year, was to describe how some healthcare professionals treated her as an object rather than a person. It was a quick read and as a nurse I found it interesting.
Lorinda
This is the true story of Sue Baier, housewife and mother of two who wakes up on an ordinary December morning in 1980 with tingling in her toes. Within 48 hrs. she finds herself in the ICU of her local hospital totally paralyzed except for her eyelids.
This is the story of her nightmare illness and the gruelling extensive recovery from Guillain-Barre syndrome, a disease which, given the severity of each case, paralyzes muscles but leaves it's victim fully aware and able to feel pain.
Excellent! Al
Holly Lindquist
When Sue Baier first noticed a persistent tingling in her toes, she had no idea that she’d be totally paralyzed and breathing on a respirator within just 48 hours. Struck with a rare auto-immune illness (Guillain-Barré ) that attacked her nervous system, she would spend the next four months completely dependent on hospital staff to tend to her simplest needs. Although she couldn’t move, she was fully aware, and something as simple as an itch could easily become an almost unendurable torment. Som ...more
Val Murray
There are very few books that I re-read ... What's the point if you know what's going to happen? I read this book years ago before I had kids and before quite a few more operations. It's a very easy book to read and although Sue has her religious beliefs, she doesn't force that on the reader. Most reviewers say that the health professionals should read this, and while this is true, I think all people should read it to know that you do have rights as a patient to be treated with empathy and kindn ...more
Jodie Reay
Must read for any healthcare professionals. This book really opened my eyes to the practice within ICU. Brilliant.
Lauren
This book was amazing!!!!! I am a nurse, and it really made me stop and look into my practice, judge myself on how I care for my patients, and realize that people remember when we do not think they do! I learned so much just by reading this book on the thoughts of patients and their perspective on the care that they receive. We as nurses must realize that even though we do not think our patients know what is going on, they may remember everything!
Melanie Kreitlow
Great read. Originally, I hadn't planned on reading the whole book because it was for a class. I started reading and couldn't stop. Definitely a must read!
Katy
MUST READ: Anyone in the business of health care- yes you, doctor/anesthesiologist/nurse anesthetist/nurse/nurse aide/physical or occupational therapist/etc- needs to read this book. Quick and easy read that offers much needed insight into what it's like to be in that bed that we are so used to standing next to. Written a couple decades ago, but still so relevant. PLEASE read this.
Jessica
This was an assigned reading for me in college. Normally I loathe assigned readings, but this one kept me turning the pages. A very fast read and a great way for those in healthcare to truly understand what is going through their patients minds. In my nursing practice, I still find myself thinking back to this book.
Emily
Interesting story, but this woman sure did complain a lot as well. If all you can think about when you come home from being in the hospital for months and making a remarkable recovery from a devastating desease is how your African violets are growing crooked, you need to re-evaluate your values!
Lenny Husen
Oct 01, 2007 Lenny Husen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: medical students
Awesome book about a woman with Guillain-Barre disease. A must for any medical student, also great for the layperson, a human interest story. Unlike the Butterfly and the Bell Jar, about the same disease, this woman does recover.
Alyssa
This was an assigned reading for school. It was a fairly good book that provided some insight into a patient's experience with spending months in a hospital. For the most part, she liked her PT :)
Mary Elizabeth Morton
Insightful & thought-provoking. I think anyone who is in health care should read this book. It really made me reflect on my nursing & how I treat those that are in my care.
Steph
Good for anyone that hasn't been a patient without a voice. Especially good for someone in a health care setting that can better understand what the patient goes through.
Linda
A memoir of Guillain-Barre syndrome from more than 30 years ago. Essential reading for caregivers--still very relevant in today's hospital environment.
Heidi
I read this book for nursing school and loved it. I think anyone who works in the direct patient care setting should definitely read this book.
Gail
The writing wasn't why I gave it a 5. Anyone in the healthcare field
needs to read this book!
Nichole Spiry
Powerful story from a patient perspective but a little drawn out.
Peg
Mar 02, 2008 Peg marked it as to-read
recommended by Ashley, story of women with Guillian Bare syndrom.
Karen
Powerful story. Will improve my career as a nurse.

Amy
Nov 28, 2007 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Medical personel
Amazing Read! All fellow nurses must read this book!
Deb
true story, fast read, interesting perspective
Judy
May 27, 2011 Judy added it
from a different time but interesting reading.
  • Nursing Against the Odds: How Health Care Cost Cutting, Media Stereotypes, and Medical Hubris Undermine Nurses and Patient Care
  • The Hospital at the End of the World
  • Critical Care: A New Nurse Faces Death, Life, and Everything in Between
  • Notes on Nursing: What It Is, and What It Is Not
  • Final Gifts: Understanding the Special Awareness, Needs, and Communications of the Dying
  • The Making of a Nurse
  • House on Fire: The Fight to Eradicate Smallpox
  • Intensive Care: The Story of a Nurse
  • Rapid Interpretation of EKG's
  • Beautiful Unbroken: One Nurse's Life
  • From Novice to Expert: Excellence and Power in Clinical Nursing Practice, Commemorative Edition
  • Nurse
  • The Lonely Patient: How We Experience Illness
  • Bedside Manners: One Doctor's Reflections on the Oddly Intimate Encounters Between Patient and Healer
  • Once in Golconda: A True Drama of Wall Street 1920-1938
  • Devotions for a Sacred Marriage: A Year of Weekly Devotions for Couples
  • We Are Absolutely Not Okay: Fourteen Stories By Teenagers Who Are Picking Up the Pieces
  • The Night Shift