Start by marking “A Twist of Orchids: A Death in the Dordogne Mystery” as Want to Read:
A Twist of Orchids: A Death in the Dordogne Mystery

A Twist of Orchids: A Death in the Dordogne Mystery (Death in the Dordogne #3)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  19 reviews
“Cross-pollinates Susan Orlean’s The Orchid Thief with Peter Mayle’s A Year in Provence.—The Washington Post Book World on Deadly Slipper

In this electrifying third installment of the highly acclaimed Death in the Dordogne series, Mara Dunn and Julian Wood are living together in an uneasy, on-and-off way—so uneasy that each begins to wonder if they are really meant to be t
Published April 13th 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published June 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Twist of Orchids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Twist of Orchids

Bonny
This is the first time I have read anything by Canadian author Michelle Wan. Now that I have read this book, I'm going to find copies of the first 2 books in the series.

These mysteries are set in the modern day Dordogne region of France. Antiques, a pssion for finding and cultivating orchids, a clash of several cultures, drugs and murder - all ingredients come together in a fabulous mystery book. I sat up until the early hours of the morning to finish it. Tomorrow I'm looking for the first 2 boo
Shonna Froebel
I've been reading this series since it started and I'm still thorougly enjoying it. The setting is France's Dogrdogne, although the author is Canadian.
Mara Dunn is an interior designer, who is from Canada but has lived in France for almost a decade. Her friend and lover Julian Wood is a landscape designer and orchidologist. He is from Britain, but has also lived in France for a long time. They are both well-integrated into the local community and have many friends, both local and foreign inhabit
H L Gibson
I always enjoy Michelle Wan's Death in the Dordogne mystery series infused with just enough suspense to lend a tingle of real fear! This book was no different. There were, however, a couple things I picked up in book three that, while extremely minor, ever so slightly spoiled the story. I suppose I could sum it up in saying some racial prejudices and social issues slipped in that I hope aren't reflective of the author's opinion. Still, it's worth the read!
Kay Wright
More talk about flowers, less about food than I expected but a cute little mystery with a teeny bit of jagged romance added for atmosphere. Not much of a tribute to southern France as I would have liked either. Might go back and read the first two books of the series. I have a feeling they are more about her career than his.
Bev
Set in the Dordogne (as I will be, soon), this novel creates suspense while delivering lots of local colour. It is the third in a series, about French Canadian Mara and her partner Julian, an orchid enthusiast who confront a local drug lord and live their lives in their small town. I liked it lots, and will look for #4 to enjoy soon.
Victoria
I’m surprised the review Amazon quotes calls this book “electrifying.” It was anything but. A sweet mystery with hardly any menace. If I were more interested in the characters, I might have turned the pages faster. One of the “Death in the Dordogne” mysteries and a nice sense of place.
Nick Duretta
Wan has achieved something admirable here: there's a standard mystery combined with a tougher, police-procedural-type story, and the two mesh perfectly. We see the charm of the Dordogne Valley as well as the dark underbelly of drugs and those seeking to capitalize on (and undermine) the valley's appeal. The main characters (Mara and Julien) are very well-drawn, believable and fascinating. If you're looking for a book on orchids, though, this isn't the one for you--they only play a marginal role ...more
Joanne Gass
Part of an interesting new series with the Dordogne region of France in full charm.
Annie
An enjoyable mystery with good characters. I have an interest in the Dordogne in France which is why I chose this book. This is the third in the series and I haven't yet read the first two. Going to do that next.
Jeanine
This is a fun mystery series set in the Dordogne region of France. Some of the characters are avid orchid fans, as is the author's husband. All in all, it is a fun summer read.
Linda Schwartz
I found one of Michelle Wan's books in an airport at some time and have kept up with the series. Interesting little mysteries set in the Dordogne region of France are possibly more interesting for the cultural interaction of the protagonists (a woman from Quebec and an Englishman) with the locals. Sometimes gets a bit too much into information about various species of orchids for someone like me who isn't really into raising exotic plants!
Jan 28, 2011 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of SOHO Crime novels
This is the best of the three Dordogne mysteries by Wan to date. I like her characters Mara and Julian - a Canadian ex-pat desinger and a British landcaper and orchid hunter - and it was fun to "catch up with them". The mystery is this outing is stonger, more surprising, and more rooted in modern realities, I DO hope that Ms. Wan continues their story.
Vionna
This well-written mystery set in the Dordogne area of France was fast-paced and lots of good characters. Mara and Julian are certainly not the perfect couple or sleuths which make for some friction in the story. Will certainly read more of her mysteries
Michele
This book did nothing for me. It started off so slowly that it was a chore to read, then the themes were predictable and depressing, evil developers want to kill off forests where beautiful flowers grow, blah blah blah.
Francine
I enjoyed the third volume about the missing orchid and the twists and turns of the relationship between Julian and Mara. Looking forward to the next book
Joann
Interesting to learn more about orchids with information in between the murder mystery and also the relationship between the two sleuths.
Sara
This one takes place in France so I enjoyed trying to remember the correct pronunciation!
Renée Mee

Not one of my favourites of the series. Found it a little wordy.
Gabrielle
Jul 15, 2013 Gabrielle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tijdschriftboek
Het orchideeenspoor
Jeff Harding
Jeff Harding is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2015
Patricia Uttaro
Patricia Uttaro marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Sogyu
Sogyu marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Loisa
Loisa marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Andrea
Andrea added it
Jun 16, 2015
Loisa
Loisa added it
Jun 10, 2015
Delores Youde
Delores Youde marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Ruth Linka
Ruth Linka marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Michelle Wan was born in Kunming, China, in the middle of an air raid. Her early years were spent in India, and she has subsequently lived in the USA, England, Paris, Harare, and Rio de Janeiro. Her passions include French food, Brazilian novellas, walking, and orchids. She and her husband, a botanist, visit the Dordogne annually to photograph and chart wild orchids. She speaks English, Portuguese ...more
More about Michelle Wan...

Death in the Dordogne (4 books)
  • Deadly Slipper
  • The Orchid Shroud
  • Kill for an Orchid
Deadly Slipper The Orchid Shroud Kill for an Orchid When I Kill You Deadly Slipper: A Novel of Death in the Dordogne