Blank-133x176
Peter Spier's Rain

Peter Spier

Peter Spier's Rain

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  254 ratings  ·  41 reviews
This wordless picture book captures the beauty and wonder of a brother and sister's joyous experiences in the rain. Come along as they explore their neighborhood, splash through puddles, see where the animals hide, and make footprints in the mud. From the first small drops of rain to the clear blue sky of a bright new morning, Peter Spier's Rain will delight parents and ch...more
Published March 9th 1982 by Doubleday Books for Young Readers (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Peter Spier's Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peter Spier's Rain

A
Intended Age Group: 4-8

Two siblings play outside on a rainy day.

In this wordless story, a brother and sister, whose sandbox play is interrupted by falling raindrops, grab their coats and umbrella and head back outside. They slosh in puddles, turn their umbrella upside down and fill it with water, spray each other with the garden hose, stand in gutters full of rushing water, observe a cat taking shelter beneath a truck, watch the ripples and waves caused by raindrops on the pavement. Dripping we...more
Kelly Borton
I recently discovered this book at my daughter's school. It's a wordless book about a brother and sister's experience on a rainy day. They dress for the weather and go outdoors to explore the neighborhood, splash through puddles, and see where animals hide. This book has so much to discover through the illustrations that you find something new every time you pick it up. The sequence of the day is organized with picture blocks and some full page illustrations while telling a story. It really capt...more
Allison
I liked this one much more then Noah's Ark. I loved the illustrations and how he captured the way the world looked while it was raining. Everything looked wet but beautiful and peaceful. They explored their yard and their neighborhood all while it was raining. They jumped in puddles, watched the ducks and geese at the pond, dumped out the wheelbarrow and played in with the water in the sand box. They were fine when it was just raining but then it started to get really windy and the storm intensi...more
David
Peter Spier's Rain by Peter Spier is a wordless picturebook about a brother and sister who enjoy a full day playing in the rain, then come home to dry off, warm up, eat and go to bed.

When raindrops begin to fall, a brother and sister run to get boots and raincoats. Exploring their yard, they see the bees in their hive, the wet laundry on the line, and catch rainwater in their umbrella.
Looking for animals, the children spot squirrels in a tree, a spider in its web, and cardinals under the birdba...more
Shanna Gonzalez
Another outstanding wordless book by Peter Spier, this one follows a young brother and sister as they don raincoats, hats, and umbrellas to enjoy a rainy day outdoors. As in Peter Spier's Christmas!, the book is illustrated with minutely detailed drawings showing varied aspects of the childrens' experience.

The reader can almost feel the drenching rain and hear the games the children play as they explore their transformed world. The visual experience of a cool, wet outdoors contrasts with the ste...more
Emma
I absolutely loved this book! It showed the adventures of a brother and a sister on a rainy day. It reminded me of my brother and I when we were younger. Although I am still close with my brother, when we were younger, we used to be best friends and do everything together. The two siblings jump in puddles, which looks so fun! They also explore their neighborhood and search for animals. I remember when I was younger my brother and I would always look for snails because there were so many in my ba...more
DuPar
At 3 1/2, I love the pictures in this wordless book and tell the story myself. The pictures have so much going on that i discover something new each time. Two siblings are playing and have endless fun when it rains!
Debbie Penner
I "read" this book to all five of my children. It is one of my very favorite children's book, because it reminded us of our family life.
Ebookwormy
We just got this book from the library today and LOVED it. We looked at it for a long time before bed. The amazing thing about it is... there are no words. Just beautiful illustrations of the activities of a boy and girl (siblings) on a rainy day. I would love to take photographs of rainy days and compile a book like this, but, even that, I don't think could compete with the captivatingly intricate illustrations by Peter Spier. It really is an amazing concept that is beautifully executed.
Ciera
Rain is probably one of my favorite things ever, and any other child, especially in Arizona, can relate to that. This wordless picture book shows a brother and sister as their explore their neighborhood, splash in puddles, and adventure through the rain. It is full of beautiful colors, especially the children's yellow rain coats, and bright boots. It gives children an amazing adventure to go through, while being able to create their own dialoge, and adventure themselves!
Paul  Hankins
This delightful picture book was doing it well before ZOOM. Well before Weisner. Wordless depiction of a day spent in a gentle rain. The storyboard feel of the book could be used to invite young writers to consider their own sticky-note theater/story board approach to the first draft of a narrative.

Peter Spiers's RAIN turns 30 this year. I found the 1982 hardback in a consignment store for fifty cents. What a find!
Emily
This is one of my all time favorite wordless picture books. Peter Spier captures the excitement of a brother and sister as they venture out in a rainstorm--splashing in puddles finding spiders hiding under eaves, watching ducks. Then the rain picks up and they run home and enjoy rainy day indoor activities like hot chocolate, blocks, books, and a movie.
Callie Risse
This wordless picture book can be used to show children the importance of using pictures as clues when reading other stories. It's often difficult for children to use pictures because they are taught the importance of being able to read all of the words in a book, but this book would give them no other choice but to practice the new strategy.
Christine
A wordless book about a brother and sister playing outside and inside on a rainy day - a sort of celebration of simple play. I probably would have rated this a 4 if I hadn't felt disconcerted by a few of the pictures: a dog on a chain, the siblings taking a bath together when they seem too old to, and the boy's pants falling down too far.
Ashley
Two children play in the backyard on a rainy day. Story without words. I classify this as a participation book because a child can use their imagination to make up a story. They can also participate in their minds by being able to connect with the children in the story.
Andria
There are amazing illustrations in this word-less picture book. A story of a small boy and girl as they explore the neighborhood during the rain. Would be a good idea to take a wordless picture book and have children make up their own words for the story.
Susan

All three of my children have baby books - although the last child's book is slim indeed. But if the older two ever want to know what their childhoods were really like - I will just hand them my copy of this book (with the promise I get it back).
Paula
Two children explore their neighborhood during a rainy day and observe all the animals. They see what happens during the rain to the ground, cars, and the water that falls down. After their play they find a warm place by turning back home.
Jeremy
Interest level: Ages 4 to at least 31, since that's how old I am, and I still love looking at the beautiful, evocative images Mr. Spier created. In fact, it's raining today, so I think I will go read this book right now.
Julie
I loved looking at this book with my kids. There are no words, and the details in the pictures are so fun to find. The children tell you the story instead of you reading it to them. Hmm...maybe I'm onto something here :)
Elizabeth
I grew up in a place where it rained frequently, and this was one of my favorite picture books when I was a kid. There's something about the way Spier can tell a story so well without any words at all.
Ashley
Interest Level Grades K - 2
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Themes: Cleverness, Creativity and Imagination, Siblings, Weather
Uses: Get students to make up stories about the pictures
Lily
The third of Peter Spier's books in our collection, this one focusing on sketches in the rain. As delightful as People and Christmas, just not as favorite.
Heather
Another wordless book. How do these keep coming into my house. This one wasn't bad, I played along and 'read' it. Still I hate these wordless books. They seem lazy.
Dottie
This is one opf the most beautiful books I know. Not a word to it -- opnl.yt those wonderful illustrations! And my favorite weather -- beautifully described therein.
Chrissy
Wordless. Shows two siblings and the adventures they take on a rainy day. Reminds me of my childhood. Has a few rear end pictures that kids may giggle at.
Mary
I love this picture book. I made up a different story for my kids each time I read it. It reminds me of being young and the magic of playing in the rain.
Codie Gates
I love this wordless picture book about a siblings adventure in the rain. Rain is beautiful to me and so is this book. Great illustrations.
Jen
Wonderful story told through pictures of two kids playing in the rain and all their adventures! Fun way for kids to make up the story.
Ashley Fortson
This book did not have anywords. This would be great to have kids make up their own story by looking at the pictures in the book.
  • Pancakes for Breakfast
  • The Adventures of Polo
  • Story of Little Babaji
  • Annie and the Wild Animals
  • I'm Not.
  • A Cache of Jewels and Other Collectible Nouns (World of Language)
  • Read-Aloud Rhymes for the Very Young
  • Grandfather Twilight
Noah's Ark People The Fox Went Out on a Chilly Night Oh, Were They Ever Happy! Peter Spier's Christmas!