Start by marking “Ottoline at Sea. Chris Riddell” as Want to Read:
Ottoline at Sea. Chris Riddell

Ottoline at Sea. Chris Riddell (Ottoline #3)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Ottoline and Mr. Munroe do everything and go everywhere together. That is, until the day Mr. Munroe mysteriously disappears leaving a strange clue written in string… Armed with her Amateur Roving Collectors’ travel pass Ottoline sets off on a journey over, under and on top of the sea to find her hairy best friend – and bring him back home.
Published 2010 by MacMillan Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Ottoline at Sea. Chris Riddell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ottoline at Sea. Chris Riddell

Liz
The Ottoline books are some of my favorites to give to the 2nd-3rd grade crowd. Ottoline herself reminds me a bit of an older Eloise, with an eccentric, independent lifestyle. With her mysterious companion Mr. Munroe, an ever-growing collection of shoes(she keeps one and wears the other) and frequent postcards from her parent's far flung travels Ottoline has plenty of quirk and charm to share. It's Chris Riddell's illustrations that really make the story pop for me. Detailed line drawings and di ...more
Becky
These are such a fun read out loud for my kids! Love the character the whimsy, the pictures! Everything about these books! Really wish there can be more... my daughter especially LOVES studying the pictures (always extras in the ottoline books) and keeps even my runaround 4 year old entertained and looking over my shoulder! More than anything LOVE OTTOLINE!
Clarabel
Il s'agit du 3ème livre d'une série qui peut se lire sans ordre précis.
L'édition française n'a pas offert les lunettes des marais de M. Munroe - mais ce n'est pas plus mal car j'avais - personnellement - beaucoup de mal à décrypter les images cachées. Le livre en français m'a donc enlevé une épine du pied.
J'aime beaucoup cette série de Chris Riddell, c'est frais, drôle, inventif et invraisemblable. Cette fois, Apolline se rend en Norvège pour retrouver son meilleur ami qui s'est fait la malle. L
Twig
So damn quirky. Loved the art. The story wasn't for me but then I'm not a child. Might give this to my cousin as a present though. Also if you do not have the bog goggles like I didn't then things can be quite confusing.
Adinda
Een vreemd, eigenwijs verhaal in een prachtige uitgave. Alleen al vanwege de kenmerkende tekeningen van Chris Riddell een aanrader: dit boekje belooft spelende zeekoeien en ijsberen die schoenen maken.
Fran
Dec 23, 2011 Fran rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya, library
Another sublime Ottoline book, however this one has to get marked down from the 5 stars that I rated the other 2. Not because of content - the story is another lovely story and the illustrations are, of course, magic. Unfortunately the 'bog goggles' do nothing, making the 'see things more clearly' aspect of the story useless and difficult to discern. I found that putting the goggles directly on top of the pictures worked best, but that gives a limited window and I couldn't always get the whole p ...more
Bridget
I've been a fan of Chris Riddell's work for years and Ottoline reaffirms why. His illustrations are wonderful, detailed and as quirky as the stories. The added level of intereactoin with the bog glasses was particularly enjoyable :D

Reading this book feels like reading a picture book, grpahic novel and normal chilren's novel all in one. There are pictures, words, pictures without words, panels and so much more. It took me 30 mins or so to get through and I loved it!

The plot is very very simple a
John Mccormack
As funny as ever.I especially liked George and Ringo,who were residents of Norwegian Wood.
Yi
This wonderful series is great for beginner readers. I cannot emphasize enough how beautiful the illustrations are, sure to delight anyone.

I love all the sea creatures on which the page numbers are written.
Nasra Hersi
this book was good but not as great as the first two books
Arantxa
By far out of all the Ottoline books, this is the best one and my favorite (out of all 3). This is because it is funny and mysterious. Ottoline goes on a very awesome and funny adventure to find Mr. Munroe because he has dissapeared! One of the funny parts is when she goes looking for mermaids because she has been told that they exist, so instead she finds fat sea lions and believes that they are mermaids.
Ken
The kids really enjoyed Ottoline, and the added bonus of having the "bog goggles" to play with. Those were a nice idea but didn't work very well. I think they would have added a lot if the picture had been clearer.

This was our first Ottoline book and I enjoyed the spunky heroine, a bit of an adventurer and individual a la Pippi Longstocking. The illustrations were great as well.
Jess Potts
Absolutely amazing!!!!!!
Kristina
My 7-y.o. boy and I both loved this book. The only disappointing thing was that the glasses didn't seem to work very well. The hidden images were still very difficult to see. Still, I love Riddell's artwork and storytelling and recommend all 3 Ottoline books to anyone who has kids or appreciates art.
Paul
Superb. Riddell is a phenomenally talented illustrator: his characteristic, highly detailed style is a joy to behold and it's at its best in this book. What I really love here, however, are the wonderfully warm characters and delightfully quirky humour. Can't wait to read the other Ottoline books!
Jane
Last of the three Ottoline books we have read as bedtime stories. I still think the first was the best - but my six year old (who has the opinion which matters here) loved it and was not at all pleased to discover Chris Riddell has not written any more.
Penny McGill
We liked this book so much. Alice and I are huge fans of Ottoline and Chris Riddell's writing and beautiful illustrations but this book had a little edge to it - the disappearance of Mr. Munroe and the adventure to find him - and it was wonderful.
Dylan & Belle at LearnPlayFun
Rated and reviewed by Dylan, age 7:
Mr Munroe goes out to find Quite Big Foot. My favourite part was when Quite Big Foot went on holidays. I liked using the glasses.
Marina KESPRESS
Me lo regaló una amiga hace 2 años y no me lo he leído hasta ayer, no me llamaba la atención. Pero me ha gustado basatante :3 Aunque casi todo son dibujos -.-U
Addie
I liked it because the little guy, Monsieur Munroe, got lost and he met other characters that looked like him. I liked that it was a happy ending.
Sarah Sammis
I love this series. The Bog Goggles were a fun addition to the book. Mr. Monroe goes back to Norway and Ottoline goes after him to find out why.
Genevieve
Man, I love these crazy books and Riddell's art. And since Norway plays prominently in this one, all the better.
Holland Saltsman
Still good but not as great as the others. Also had weird 3-Dish type glasses that didn't seem to work right.
Claire Spurling
The story is great but the bog goggles are useless!
Angela Tuson
Love love love Ottoline books. Very much. :)
Candycloud
Fun. Lost bog goggles right away......
S-J
Jan 12, 2013 S-J rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to S-J by: roz
superb in illustration and story
Jamie Leong
Fantastic book!So colorful!
Aisha
Jan 20, 2013 Aisha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Laila Jamila
Recommended to Aisha by: Jazz
OK
  • Hugo Pepper (Far-Flung Adventures, #3)
  • The Wyverns’ Treasure (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #3)
  • Guardian of the Green Hill
  • Tomorrow's Magic (Omnibus)
  • The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2)
  • Hot Air (Edgar & Ellen Nodyssey, #1)
  • Empire of Ruins (The Hunchback Assignments, #3)
  • Starcross (Larklight, #2)
  • The War at Ellsmere
  • One Dog and His Boy
  • Emma
  • The Mystery in Tornado Alley (Nancy Drew, #155)
  • Worst Witch to the Rescue (Worst Witch, #6)
  • Hilda and the Midnight Giant
  • Flight, Vol. 8 (Flight, #8)
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: A Deluxe Pop-Up Book
  • Flood and Fang (The Raven Mysteries, #1)
  • Sleeping Beauty
Chris Riddell was born in Cape Town, South Africa, where his father was an Anglican priest and a member of the ANC. The family moved to England in 1963, when Riddell was one year old, and he spent his childhood in a number of different locations, as his father moved between parishes. Both of Riddell's parents continued to be active in the anti-apartheid movement.

Chris Riddell is an internationally
More about Chris Riddell...
Ottoline and the Yellow Cat Ottoline Goes to School Goth Girl and the Ghost of a Mouse The Emperor of Absurdia Wendel's Workshop