Start by marking “Ottoline at Sea (Ottoline, #3)” as Want to Read:
Ottoline at Sea (Ottoline, #3)

Ottoline at Sea (Ottoline #3)

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  416 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Ottoline and Mr. Munroe do everything and go everywhere together. That is, until the day Mr. Munroe mysteriously disappears leaving a strange clue written in string… Armed with her Amateur Roving Collectors’ travel pass Ottoline sets off on a journey over, under and on top of the sea to find her hairy best friend – and bring him back home.
Published 2010 by MacMillan Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Ottoline at Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ottoline at Sea

Josh Ang
Mar 29, 2015 Josh Ang rated it really liked it
I was attracted to Chris Riddell's work mainly because of the fascinating illustrations he did for Neil Gaiman. To my delight, I discovered the Ottoline series and this is the first installment I read (and also the 3rd book in the series, I just found out).

In a quirky blend of the familiar and fantastical, this book should appeal to the young, even the exceptionally resistant, reader. Ottoline is a seemingly ordinary little girl with a penchant for wearing unusual mismatched shoes, who lives in
Fatma Narman
Sep 06, 2015 Fatma Narman rated it it was amazing
Ottoline at Sea by Chris Riddell is an adventure fantasy and the last part in a trilogy. Ottoline, the eponymous hero of the book is an eccentric girl who lives in ‘Big City’ with Mr Munroe, a ‘bog person’ that met Ottoline’s parents in a bog in Norway and came to live with them. Ottoline is not an ordinary girl. She loves collecting odd shoes and is a ‘mistress of disguise’. Similarly eccentric, her parents travel the world as professional roving collectors while Ottoline stays at home with Mr ...more
Liz
Jun 16, 2014 Liz rated it really liked it
The Ottoline books are some of my favorites to give to the 2nd-3rd grade crowd. Ottoline herself reminds me a bit of an older Eloise, with an eccentric, independent lifestyle. With her mysterious companion Mr. Munroe, an ever-growing collection of shoes(she keeps one and wears the other) and frequent postcards from her parent's far flung travels Ottoline has plenty of quirk and charm to share. It's Chris Riddell's illustrations that really make the story pop for me. Detailed line drawings and di ...more
Judy
One of Chris Riddell's more gorgeous characters, Ottoline is drawn with great sweetness. The pictures are very light, and so is the narrative content, which acts chiefly as a vehicle for his illustrations and sense of fun. It's one of those books that is a delight to hold in your hands and pore over. This would be a great confidence booster for children just into independent reading.
Becky
Jun 02, 2014 Becky rated it it was amazing
These are such a fun read out loud for my kids! Love the character the whimsy, the pictures! Everything about these books! Really wish there can be more... my daughter especially LOVES studying the pictures (always extras in the ottoline books) and keeps even my runaround 4 year old entertained and looking over my shoulder! More than anything LOVE OTTOLINE!
María Parra Sánchez
Jun 04, 2015 María Parra Sánchez rated it it was amazing
Ottoline en el mar tiene una historia más cortita y es un volumen más visual que los otros dos libros, donde se otorga mayor peso a la parte de ilustración que al texto pero aun así se disfruta mucho.
Clarabel
Feb 25, 2011 Clarabel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Il s'agit du 3ème livre d'une série qui peut se lire sans ordre précis.
L'édition française n'a pas offert les lunettes des marais de M. Munroe - mais ce n'est pas plus mal car j'avais - personnellement - beaucoup de mal à décrypter les images cachées. Le livre en français m'a donc enlevé une épine du pied.
J'aime beaucoup cette série de Chris Riddell, c'est frais, drôle, inventif et invraisemblable. Cette fois, Apolline se rend en Norvège pour retrouver son meilleur ami qui s'est fait la malle. L
Kay
Jun 26, 2015 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another lovely story from Chris Riddell with the intrepid Ottoline and her companion Mr Monroe. Perhaps the story was slightly less developed, but the pictures and jokes were just as good as the previous story I read ("ottoline and the Yellow Cat").
safetogoalone
Sep 26, 2014 safetogoalone rated it liked it
So damn quirky. Loved the art. The story wasn't for me but then I'm not a child. Might give this to my cousin as a present though. Also if you do not have the bog goggles like I didn't then things can be quite confusing.
Adinda
Sep 15, 2014 Adinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kinderboeken
Een vreemd, eigenwijs verhaal in een prachtige uitgave. Alleen al vanwege de kenmerkende tekeningen van Chris Riddell een aanrader: dit boekje belooft spelende zeekoeien en ijsberen die schoenen maken.
Fran
Dec 23, 2011 Fran rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, library
Another sublime Ottoline book, however this one has to get marked down from the 5 stars that I rated the other 2. Not because of content - the story is another lovely story and the illustrations are, of course, magic. Unfortunately the 'bog goggles' do nothing, making the 'see things more clearly' aspect of the story useless and difficult to discern. I found that putting the goggles directly on top of the pictures worked best, but that gives a limited window and I couldn't always get the whole p ...more
Bridget
Jun 07, 2012 Bridget rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
I've been a fan of Chris Riddell's work for years and Ottoline reaffirms why. His illustrations are wonderful, detailed and as quirky as the stories. The added level of intereactoin with the bog glasses was particularly enjoyable :D

Reading this book feels like reading a picture book, grpahic novel and normal chilren's novel all in one. There are pictures, words, pictures without words, panels and so much more. It took me 30 mins or so to get through and I loved it!

The plot is very very simple a
nicole
Absolutely gorgeous, wonderfully illustrated - just about goes without saying. Chris Riddell is utterly masterful at what be does.

The story was sweet (and teary-eyed Ottoline was almost too cute to handle), albeit less developed than the first two books in the series. The only major drawback here though is how poorly the "bog googles" work. The final mystery image page is still, well, a mystery to me. Surely the story would have felt more complete had I been able to better discern the images. Se
Julia
Feb 12, 2015 Julia rated it it was amazing
Chris Riddell has become my 8 year old daughter's favourite author after reading all 3 Ottoline books and the Goth Girl stories
Marie
May 20, 2015 Marie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The Ottoline-series is really cute. And exciting. And full of references for adults as well. New books to recommend to kids!
Shannon
Dec 30, 2014 Shannon rated it liked it
Sad to have finished another of this author's series. I sure do enjoy the writing and illustrations.
John Mccormack
Feb 09, 2014 John Mccormack rated it really liked it
As funny as ever.I especially liked George and Ringo,who were residents of Norwegian Wood.
Harriet
Aug 09, 2015 Harriet rated it really liked it
I loved the illustrations in this book and it was a quick read.
Yi
Apr 22, 2014 Yi rated it liked it
This wonderful series is great for beginner readers. I cannot emphasize enough how beautiful the illustrations are, sure to delight anyone.

I love all the sea creatures on which the page numbers are written.
Nasra Hersi
Feb 19, 2014 Nasra Hersi rated it liked it
this book was good but not as great as the first two books
Alissa
Nov 06, 2015 Alissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud
Good read-aloud. Over and over and over.
Kristina
Jun 17, 2015 Kristina rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adorbs <3
Zadie, Age 6
Jun 22, 2015 Zadie, Age 6 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a young child traveling to Norway. It has led me to an amazing adventure with a bear, Mr. Munroe, and Ottoline. She lives at 243 Third Street in the Peppapot building. She lives on the 24th floor, which is very high and very hard to find because there are only 23 floors. My favorite part was when she went sailing with a captain to Norway. She had a sailing pass that allowed her to go anywhere.
Arantxa
Feb 15, 2011 Arantxa rated it it was amazing
By far out of all the Ottoline books, this is the best one and my favorite (out of all 3). This is because it is funny and mysterious. Ottoline goes on a very awesome and funny adventure to find Mr. Munroe because he has dissapeared! One of the funny parts is when she goes looking for mermaids because she has been told that they exist, so instead she finds fat sea lions and believes that they are mermaids.
Ken
Jan 08, 2012 Ken rated it liked it
The kids really enjoyed Ottoline, and the added bonus of having the "bog goggles" to play with. Those were a nice idea but didn't work very well. I think they would have added a lot if the picture had been clearer.

This was our first Ottoline book and I enjoyed the spunky heroine, a bit of an adventurer and individual a la Pippi Longstocking. The illustrations were great as well.
Jess Potts
Mar 28, 2014 Jess Potts rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing!!!!!!
Kristina
Aug 24, 2011 Kristina rated it it was amazing
My 7-y.o. boy and I both loved this book. The only disappointing thing was that the glasses didn't seem to work very well. The hidden images were still very difficult to see. Still, I love Riddell's artwork and storytelling and recommend all 3 Ottoline books to anyone who has kids or appreciates art.
Paul
Nov 16, 2013 Paul rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-read-again
Superb. Riddell is a phenomenally talented illustrator: his characteristic, highly detailed style is a joy to behold and it's at its best in this book. What I really love here, however, are the wonderfully warm characters and delightfully quirky humour. Can't wait to read the other Ottoline books!
Jane
Jan 15, 2013 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Last of the three Ottoline books we have read as bedtime stories. I still think the first was the best - but my six year old (who has the opinion which matters here) loved it and was not at all pleased to discover Chris Riddell has not written any more.
Penny McGill
Sep 16, 2013 Penny McGill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-kids
We liked this book so much. Alice and I are huge fans of Ottoline and Chris Riddell's writing and beautiful illustrations but this book had a little edge to it - the disappearance of Mr. Munroe and the adventure to find him - and it was wonderful.
  • Hugo Pepper (Far-Flung Adventures, #3)
  • Guardian of the Green Hill
  • Tomorrow's Magic (Omnibus)
  • The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2)
  • Summerhouse Time
  • Hot Air (Edgar & Ellen Nodyssey, #1)
  • Harry and the Wrinklies
  • Empire of Ruins (The Hunchback Assignments, #3)
  • Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh (Theodosia Throckmorton, #4)
  • Horrid Henry Rules The World
  • Emma
  • The Three Pickled Herrings (Wings & Co, #2)
  • The Lost Realm (The Chronicles Of Fantasy Kingdom #1)
  • Who Was Maria Tallchief?
  • The Mystery of the Whistling Caves (Adventure Island, #1)
  • The Music of Zombies (Tales from the Five Kingdoms, #5)
  • Alice au pays des merveilles
  • Ondine
Chris Riddell was born in Cape Town, South Africa, where his father was an Anglican priest and a member of the ANC. The family moved to England in 1963, when Riddell was one year old, and he spent his childhood in a number of different locations, as his father moved between parishes. Both of Riddell's parents continued to be active in the anti-apartheid movement.

Chris Riddell is an internationally
More about Chris Riddell...

Ottoline (4 books)
  • Ottoline and the Yellow Cat (Ottoline, #1)
  • Ottoline Goes to School (Ottoline, #2)
  • Ottoline and the Purple Fox