Ruby's Beauty Shop

Ruby's Beauty Shop (Max and Ruby)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Welcome to Ruby?s Beauty Shop! ?Guess what, Max!? says Max?s sister Ruby. ?Louise is coming over, and she?s bringing her Deluxe Beauty Kit.? Ruby and Louise have everything they need to make Max gorgeous, including wigs, makeup, and instant stick-on nails. But when Max decides to play beauty shop his way, everyone is in for a real makeover surprise!

Published November 18th 2004 by Puffin (first published October 14th 2002)

Melissa Posten
I am not a huge Max and Ruby fan, but this one is cute. I enjoy how it treats a little boy's curiosity about makeup as a natural and okay thing rather than ZOMG THE GAYZ R TAKING OVER AND MAX WILL TURN MY SON GAY.
Holly Brown
This book is about Ruby and her friend, Louise, starting a beauty shop. Their first customer is Ruby's little brother, Max. When Ruby and Louise aren't looking, Max starts to play with the beauty supplies as well!

This book was very entertaining. I love seeing what kind of mischief Max gets into!

I would use this book to teach my students about being themselves and using their imagination. This would also be a great book to get children interested in reading. If they are interested in this book, t...more
Carly Brown
For Caitlyn's Award

Level: Early

Genre: Picture Book

Topic: Brother and sister relationships

Curricular Use: Independent or Guided Reading

Social: Brother and Sister relationships, having a bossy older older sister, having a little brother who just won't listen

Literary Elements: Dialogue, Imagination, foreshadowing

Strong Connection Between pictures and text
Juliet Lewis
Rosemary Wells is a wonderful author, any of her books would be an excellent choice for your permanent children's library. I loved looking at these books again and again when I was a child.
Angela
Mar 24, 2008 Angela rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys pretending
Shelves: children-s-books
What a hoot. I remember taking my own 3 year-old sister captive for beauty experimentation in the 1950s. Now, I'm the grandma, and as just-desserts, it is I who gets the Completely-New-You Makeover.
Angela
My son and I have been enjoying the original Max and Ruby books for years. The illustrations are delightful and the stories are hilarious.
Inspired Kathy
My daughter loves Max. Maybe because she is so much like him. She's got into my make up more times than I can count!
babyhippoface
Max is just gorgeous when Ruby gets finished with him. This a sure-fire giggle-producer.
Sharon
Another fabulous laugh out loud story. My daughter loved it!
Cana
Mommy says: Cana's younger 4yo brother loves Max & Ruby.
Morgan
If you ever had a little brother, these books are for you!
Amy Wheatley
Read to Sam at about 20 months.
Bella Qosja
Bella Qosja marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Eva
Eva added it
Jul 24, 2014
Christina Smart
Christina Smart marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Justin
Justin added it
Apr 22, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

Rosemary Wells is the author of a number of popular children's books, most notably the Max and Ruby series which follows the everyday adventures of sibling bunnies - curious three year old Max and bossy seven year old Ruby. She gets the inspiration for Max and Ruby from her two daughters and the experiences they...more
More about Rosemary Wells...
Bunny Cakes Noisy Nora Yoko On the Blue Comet Bunny Money