Start by marking “As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me: The Extraordinary True Story of One Man's Escape from a Siberian Labour Camp and His 3-Year Trek to Freedom” as Want to Read:

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  583 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Originally published in 1955, As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me has seen international success ever since. It has been translated into fifteen languages, sold more than 12 million copies, and is the basis for an award-winning German entry at the 2002 Cannes Film Festival. Recounting an incredible real-life adventure, it tracks the destiny of German soldier Clemens Forrell wh...more
Published August 12th 2003 by Da Capo Press (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me

Into Thin Air by Jon KrakauerUnbroken by Laura HillenbrandEndurance by Alfred LansingTouching the Void by Joe SimpsonAdrift by Steven Callahan
Best True Survival Stories
28th out of 146 books — 237 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellThe Alchemist by Paulo Coelho1984 by George OrwellAnimal Farm by George Orwell
100 books that you must read
192nd out of 224 books — 72 voters

More lists with this book...

^
Sep 04, 2014 ^ rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who like stories of survival
This book had been sitting awhile in my bookcase, when after recently watching the Polish film (fictional) “The Way Back” (2010), I was reminded of Bauer’s book.

There is a b/w photograph on the back cover, showing the back of the principal protagonist, Clemens Forell (an alias), who faces the author and his publisher. To modern eyes the image appears stiff, staged and ill at ease; but taking a moment to consider 1940s and 1950s film technology, that may just be normal for the period.

Descriptive...more
Drew
Pretty gripping. Basically a German prisoner of war escapes from the Siberian lead mines and walks halfway across Russia, with all the adventure that that entails: wolves, bears, outlaws, reindeer men, etc. And better written than I expected, though that's probably because I didn't know that Josef Bauer was a real writer. But at times I wondered whether everything I was reading was true. For instance, at one point the main character falls in with some Russian outlaws, and together they basically...more
Val
I admit, it sometimes takes me a while to catch up with things. This book is one of these cases. The book was originally published in German "So weit die Füße tragen" in 1955. "As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me" has seen international success ever since. It was released as a film in 2001 and was the basis for an award-winning German entry at the 2002 Cannes Film Festival. The DVD was released in 2011. The book, by Josef M Bauer, has also been translated into fifteen languages and sold more than 12...more
Scott
You know those really good story tellers. The ones where you can listen to anything they're talking about. They can make the most banal story interesting. Well that is what this story is missing. The author is pretty lame. It feels like somebody droning on and on with the same voice of the guy who says "Bueller." There is probably around 50 or so pages that is actually enjoyable. The rest of it is just not that good. The 50 pages that I liked were when the escaped prisoner joins up with 3 other...more
Johann Manstein
I am not one to criticize the authors experience or willingness to share his escape. I was engrossed in the book and constantly referring to encounters with the map. I grew alarmed as 4/5 of the book had been covered and approx half of the Soviet Union had been crossed. This left me disappointed in that I was given the impression that half of that journey was 'boring' for the lack of a better word. When he returned ragged and starving to the Jew that eventually helped him escape, it seemed to me...more
Judi
This is a tale of a man whose will to live free and to survive took him out of a Siberian labor camp and slavery and eventual death in the lead mine there. He survived against all odds, enduring hunger and the very real specter of starvation and horrific winters. In his travel across Russia he was frequently in danger of betrayal by Russians who would turn him in to the authorities and by unsavory men who could easily have killed him. To survive he had to become an accomplished thief and liar. A...more
Benjamin
The best adventure story I have ever read. Need some courage? Read this book.
Amerynth
Josef Martin Bauer's "As far as my feet will carry me" is the extraordinary true story of a German prisoner of war who is sentenced to work in a lead mine in Siberia. The prisoner, dubbed "Clemens Forell" manages to escape and embarks on a three-year trek across the Russian landscape while attempting to reach his home.

The story is pretty amazing. I had a difficult time with the writing, which is best described as stilted. Despite being a short book, it took me ages to read it... the author is so...more
Michelle
In the Intro the translator/writer takes pains to say that he often stopped the book out of disbelief and spent much time trying to verify accounts. I thought this intro was oddly long, a bit paranoid. But you don't realize how necessary it is until you read the book.

The story is beyond belief. It's inspiring. And the voice is from some one with nothing left to prove.

The writing starts of disjointed and in some parts unintelligible. But the author picks up flow about 1/3 of the way in. And by t...more
Pipsa Mankinen
Jonathan
Good read. German escapes from a Soviet gulag and trudges home. My only gripe is the anticlimactic ending. It would have been interesting to hear about his homecoming. If you enjoyed "The Long Walk" and similar tales, you'll like this book.
Rachel
How much of this is based on any kind of fact is hard to know. I imagine most of the journey is fiction, but time in the Gulags of Russia could be varied. Therefore despite what the title says, take much of it with a pinch of salt. However, it was quite a funny read in places and quite emotive in others and I simply cannot comprehend the need to escape from a location so desperately. It does highlight human compassion as many of the men he meets along the way provide him with food and shelter fo...more
Aletha
Reads like a fiction adventure novel. Reminded me of Louis Lamour's LAST OF THE BREED (fiction). Hard to imagine that this would be a true story. Enjoyed it a lot. Glad I read it.
Andrew
I enjoyed this book, it is a very interesting story, but a few parts of it are a bit hard to follow. I think the story would have benefited from some additional details, though, admittedly they might have been hard to come by given that Forrell would have had to remember them all. The second half of his journey seemed to take up very few pages in the book, which was disappointing, though the author does offer an explanation at the beginning.

Despite some flaws, the feat accomplished by Forrell it...more
Chrisann Justice
They made a movie of this book but I loved the book a whole lot more.
Amanda
Unbelievable, but true.
Hunter Barton
This book was a gripping tale of a man's escape from a Soviet Labor Camp. This is a tale of his brave journey, and his motivation through insurmountable odds. I'm not a huge reader, but I honestly couldn't put this book down.
Wifenotlodger Sunflower
Started off in a gripping manner, then some of the minute detail and long descriptions of food and equipment made my interest wane. Then whilst googling for a decent map of his route I read in more than one place that the story may not be authentic and the Gulag never existed! I know the Russians have a vested interest in keeping the truth quiet but I was hoping for book based on more truth. Interesting but a slog.
♥ Marlene♥
A really good survival book. A German prisoner is brought to the very east of Siberia together with many other prisoners of war to be a slave. He gets help from a doctor to escape and then the story gets really interesting. All the struggles he had to endure, it is hard to comprehend even after reading this book.
I really enjoyed reading it. Loved his dog. Wished that the end had been a bit more prolonged though.
Taylor
This was a great book! Perhaps I liked it because it was so similar to one of my all time favorites, The Long Walk, by Slavomir Rawicz. When I finished, I was left wishing it were longer, with more details about the last year of the journey, and what happened after he returned home. But these limitations made it more intriguing.
Kent
This truly is an amazing story. Quite an adventure!
love
I loved this book. It was so interesting to hear a different perspective on wwII. A little from the german side as well as soviet. It wasn't political, just informative about one mans struggle to survive in siberia. The book was easy to understand and follow and kept you on your toes.
Shyam Parekh
Great adventure but evidence is that the story probably isn't as true as the author might have you believe. Even with those doubts, it is a worthwhile read about a period of history which most of aren't that familiar. I recommend it for those who love epic nonfiction historic adventure stories.
Richard
From the January 2012 issue of Backpacker magazine: Required Reading, Top picks from our Facebook fans:
For all who wished The LongWalk was true, this tale of escape from a Siberian prison camp will satisfy....more
Amy
Mar 03, 2012 Amy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Brad Webb
Pretty amazing true story of a German Prisoner escaping a Russian Labour Camp after WW2 and his walk back to Germany. Talk about a rural unforgiving country. Was a good read. I didn't exactly like the way the book was ended but that could be just me.
Christopher
This book is amazing. It is a stellar story of survival and I found it to be very inspiring. From the time of his escape, and even just before, it's a story of a man who simply wants to get home and does whatever it takes to get there.
Heather
The story was great but it felt so underwhelming by the way it was written. You got no sense of personal connection with Forell; the whole thing felt like a very clinical retelling of a timeline series of events and that's it.
Lance Gideon
Highly recommended! An amazing true story of determination, courage, and strength! This story takes survival to the next level - in one of the harshest places on earth. I'll be watching the movie next!
Dmack
If you like to feel the book as you read; if you like an impossible adventure; if you like to see total despair and heartbreak turn into triumph and celebration then this is definitly the book for you
  • Jungle: A Harrowing True Story of Survival
  • We Die Alone: A WWII Epic of Escape and Endurance
  • Mawson's Will: The Greatest Polar Survival Story Ever Written
  • Skeletons on the Zahara: A True Story of Survival
  • In the Land of White Death: An Epic Story of Survival in the Siberian Arctic
  • Island of the Lost: Shipwrecked at the Edge of the World
  • Europa, Europa
  • Sufferings in Africa: The Incredible True Story of a Shipwreck, Enslavement, and Survival on the Sahara
  • Dans les forêts de Sibérie
  • Survive The Savage Sea (Sheridan House S.)
  • The Lost Men: The Harrowing Saga of Shackleton's Ross Sea Party
  • The Long Walk: The True Story of a Trek to Freedom
  • The Darkest Jungle: The True Story of the Darien Expedition and America's Ill-Fated Race to Connect the Seas
  • Station X: The Codebreakers of Bletchley Park