Start by marking “Summer at the Lake” as Want to Read:
Summer at the Lake

Summer at the Lake (Family Saga #1)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  359 ratings  ·  20 reviews
For childhood friends Leo Kelly, Jane Devlin, and newly ordained "Packy" Keenan, the summers they spent at the lake together were times of pure magic. And no summer was more enchanting than the summer of 1948 - until a tragic car wreck killed two of their friends.

The rich and prominent "Old House" families of Chicago banded together to protect their own - the driver, who w
Published April 1st 2007 by Forge Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Summer at the Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer at the Lake

☮Karen
I'm a big Greeley fan and this did not disappoint. I just thought the format was unusual in that it not only told parts of the story from 3 different character's points of view, but it also went back and forth between the 1940's and 1970's. Ended up that many things were repeated several times. I kept thinking, well we already know he loves her very much and he thinks she is the most beautiful woman in the world, but how many times is he going to tell us? The plot was riveting for the most part. ...more
Cathy
Great premise about 3 friends trying to make sense of the events that took place in their youth. They all have regrets about the choices they made and believe that their interpretation of the events influenced them to make those choices. The main character decides to look more closely at the events and find the truths behind them. This could have been a great story. Greeley bounces around in time and from character to character. The story is not tied together very well. It was not enjoyable to r ...more
Holyn
Greeley writes a steamy novel filled with mystery, romance, and enough church politics to keep all 400-ish pages interesting. This book follows three friends across three decades as they remember their childhoods, event that drove them apart, and then those that bring them back together - only to find that they must solve a crime in order to live the remainder of their lives with joy and in peace. I was hooked from page one. As always with Greeley, I am amazed that a Catholic priest can write bo ...more
Diane
Disappointed with this book. I had trouble going back and forth through the decades with the different main characters and that's not usually a problem. The storyline was just OK.
Claire
I have decided not to finish this book. I have read almost half, and just can't get into it! So, clearly, I would not recommend this book.
Janice
This summer escape was a dud. After giving it seventy pages it has yet to grasp my interest.
Jane

Mo
I enjoyed this novel by Andrew Greeley. Story about friends that grew up near each other at a lake and a auto accident that changed their lives.
Chayrl
A sweet story of young love lost, but never forgotten. It has just the right amount of mystery added to it, truly enjoyed this book.
Annie Myers
I actually read this book once before... but I forgot. I think I liked it better the first time around.
Diane
It's a small bit, but I especially liked the part with the priest in Vatican City for Vatican II.
Maria
Had not read his work. Enjoyable,hard to put down .good summer read
Arlene
Told from the point of view of a young priest and his friends.
Rose
This was one of his best ones, liked it.
Mary
entertaining summer read with insight
Carolyn
Eh, didn't love this book.
Sally Long
Sally Long marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
  • Straight Talk: Overcoming Emotional Battles with the Power of God's Word
  • The Choir
  • About Face
  • No More Excuses: Be the Man God Made You to Be
  • Death of a Stranger (William Monk, #13)
  • The Death of a King
  • Sand Castles
  • The Jewels of Tessa Kent
  • A Love Divine
  • Plan on It
Andrew Greeley was a Roman Catholic priest, sociologist, journalist, and author of 50 best-selling novels and more than 100 works of nonfiction. For decades, Greeley entertained readers with such popular characters as the mystery-solving priest Blackie Ryan and the fey, amateur sleuth Nuala Anne McGrail. His books typically center on Irish-American Roman Catholics living or working in Chicago.

htt
More about Andrew M. Greeley...
Irish Gold (Nuala Anne McGrail, #1) The Cardinal Sins Irish Lace (Nuala Anne McGrail, #2) Irish Mist (Nuala Anne McGrail, #4) Irish Whiskey (Nuala Anne McGrail, #3)