Ghost and Horror Stories

Ghost and Horror Stories

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  1,879 ratings  ·  29 reviews
23 modern horror stories by American master. "The Eyes of the Panther," "The Damned Thing," 21 more. "These pieces are not dated, nor are they lacking any of the narrative elements necessary to attract and hold the attention of anyone interested in the horror genre." — SF Booklog.
Published June 1st 1964 by Dover Publications (NY)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost and Horror Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost and Horror Stories

mark monday
all hail Ambrose Bierce! an American original. aka "Bitter Bierce" - a soldier, government agent, journalist, short story writer, satirist, social critic. his life bookended by two wars: at age 19 in the American Civil War (most notably, fighting in the Battle of Shiloh) and at age 71 as a witness to Pancho Villa's revolutionary efforts in Mexico (most notably... vanishing without a trace).

gaze upon the dapper don:

photo Abierce_zpsb0347619.jpg

Bierce was a misanthrope of the first order and his scornful critiques of anythin...more
Erik Graff
Dec 22, 2010 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Erik by: Rod Serling
Shelves: literature
The most notable of these stories is "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" (1890) which was filmed in France as a black and white silent short in 1963 and broadcast on television's Twilight Zone in 1964 at which time I probably saw it with my father. In any case, that put Bierce in mind and, liking fantastic literature, eventually I read this Dover collection of some of his work.
Years later, after a friend and I had started a youth movement in our hometown, we came back to this story and the fil...more
David Johnson
I just got done reading “The Damned Thing” by Ambrose Bierce. Hugh Morgan was the man mauled by the mountain lion. The jurors were trying to figure out what happened to the man. William Hanker was the witness and the jurors were questioning him.

Hugh Morgan was a timid writer and like to hunt. William Hankers was a very strong writer and saw what happened to his friend. He was scared and past out. He woke up to his friend screaming and then he saw the thing. He stayed there and just watched an...more
Dorothy
WOW...That was my comment throughot the entire book...Ambrose Bierce is indeed the master of gothic stories and a genius narrator...His sarcasm is hidden wisely and noticeable only to careful readers...Read these stories early in the morning, just after sunrise,if possible after a sleepless night, trust me. =)
Abigail
I read this at age 21 deep in the stacks at my university library late at night while listening to the Dark Knight soundtrack. I scared myself so badly that I had to go find people to remind myself that they are only stories.
Charles
I came to Bierce late in life but I soon made up for lost time. Excellent collection of his stories.
Gwen
For me, it just isn't summer without some sort of ghost stories. I went on vacation to MO last week and packed almost a half dozen books to read on the trip during the down time between canoeing, cave exploration, and chaperoning my nieces in the pool. After all that physical effort, there is nothing like reading ghost stories while sitting in a rocker on the porch while the bugs are buzzing outside at night.

I'd say that the quality and the subject of the stories varies quite a bit in this book....more
Brad
May 10, 2014 Brad rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
It's great to get into pre-lovecraftian horror and tales of the fantastic. Mr. Bierce has a serious knack for the sardonic and a truly subtle twist in words.
Sharon Smith
Sooo wonderfully creepy!
Andrés Cabrera
Este no fue exactamente el libro que leí. Ese fue uno de editorial Puntodelectura, donde vienen recopilados varios cuentos del autor. El libro se llama "Aceite de perro y otros relatos macabros". Nunca había leído nada de Bierce, pero su humor sardónico y cínico es genial. El retrato de lo humano desde sus raíces menos favorables. El asco en cada frase confluye con el humor, plasmando óleos que confluyen entre la realidad y la ficción de una humanidad desesperada y decadente. Genial texto.
Doug
I'll give it four stars instead of five simply because there might be a more perfect collection of his stories out there somewhere.
Mrbots
Most of these stories occur on dark rainy nights, many in San Francisco. Bierce's prose are magnificent, and his scares are brief yet interesting. His mastery of the supernatural and the spooky is inimitable, but his characters and plots are a little dry and overused, even given his older time period.
Tifany
Since I'm on the subject of ghost stories, Ambrose Bierce is one of the few Victorians who still hold up today--even if it's much easier for us, as a modern audience, to spot the twist, as so many ghost stories since have borrowed from Bierce. There's the famous "Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge," of course, but by far the best, to me, is "The Moonlit Road." It's hard to say exactly why this story, in particular, is so strangely and sadly haunting.
Angie Schoch
These tales have a sense of place and of history that adds a poignancy. Personally, I was able to find the cemetery and church ruins written about in "The Death of Halpin Fraser," which are in Calistoga, Ca. How exciting is that! "The Haunted Valley," dealing with racism against the Chinese, also stood out as exemplary. Though the quality of the tales is quite variable, the best of them really make this a five star read for me.
Adam
Of the 3 highly-influential early American horror writers, Poe and Lovecraft far outstrip Bierce in popularity. But, for me, he's more readable than either of them and evokes a more intimate and unnerving brand of terror. Also, Kurt Vonnegut esteemed Bierce's story "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" so highly that he declared anyone who hadn't read it a "twerp." (And you don't want to be a twerp do you??)
Todd
Very creepy short stories about the supernatural, written (and set) in the late 1800s, told in a cold, journalistic tone which somehow elevates the strangeness of what is reported, while making the stories more credible, believable. I love this collection, and read it every October. Scarier than anything else I've read.
Rachel Hillen
This is certainly not the scariest book of horror stories I have ever read but it is a must-read for the horror connoisseur. You can see the influence on Lovecraft and other horror and suspense greats and Bierce's ability to set the mood is great.
Ericpegnam Pegnam
this is the first Bierce book I ever found. I was ten and the cover really freaked me out. Great stories.
Audrey
Jul 30, 2011 Audrey added it
Really, really bad. I couldn't finish it and couldn't force my students to finish it either.
Lenny
Excellent book if you are into the Paranormal and ghost type stories.
hanna
Jun 03, 2009 hanna is currently reading it
Picking it up again, after going through the first half without being spooked.
Joseph Patchen
One of the faces on the Mt. Rushmore of Horror and Weird Tales.
Lucy
Dec 09, 2008 Lucy added it
for scifi class had to read 2000 pages in half a trimester
Emily
Oh, these are so, so good. Up there with Poe.
Jolie
Fun Fun Fun Fun Fun! Very spooky stuff.
Kerry
His stories a freaky, i like it!
George
  • The Nightmare Factory
  • Masterpieces of Terror and the Supernatural
  • The Oxford Book of Victorian Ghost Stories
  • The Oxford Book of Gothic Tales
  • The Dark Descent (Collection)
  • Ghost Stories
  • Weird Tales: 32 Unearthed Terrors
Ambrose Gwinnett Bierce was an American editorialist, journalist, short story writer, fabulist and satirist. Today, he is best known for his short story, An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge and his satirical lexicon, The Devil's Dictionary.

The sardonic view of human nature that informed his work – along with his vehemence as a critic, with his motto "nothing matters" – earned him the nickname "Bitt...more
More about Ambrose Bierce...
An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge The Unabridged Devil's Dictionary The Complete Short Stories Civil War Stories An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge