Start by marking “Time to Say "Please"! (with game board)” as Want to Read:
Time to Say "Please"! (with game board)

Time to Say "Please"! (with game board)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  707 ratings  ·  71 reviews
As a companion book to the popular Time to Pee!, Mo Willems has created a book on manners in his own signature style. Groups of ebullient mice narrate this humorous text as young children try in vain to get what they want, learning along the way that it is helpful to say "Please," "Thank you," "Excuse me," and "I'm sorry." Oh, and you have to mean it, too.
Published July 2nd 2005 by Hyperion Book CH (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Time to Say "Please"!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time to Say "Please"!

Ronyell
Time

Now, I am a huge fan of practically everything that Mo Willems has written since his books are so full of witty humor and creative ideas! So, imagine my surprise when I found out that Mo Willems has written a children’s book that teaches children manners which is called “Time to Say “Please”!

Basically, this book starts off with a young girl trying to get a cookie, but some cute little mice start holding up signs that tell the little girl about how saying “please” to an adult can really help yo
Kathryn
Oh, darn. I really like Mo Willems' stuff and he seems like an incredibly thoughtful and sensitive author-artist for children but this book just falls flat in my estimation. It's boring--didactic without all the charm and pizazz of his other works. It's just a series of children wanting something, and being told that saying "Please" will not only be polite but more likely to earn them success in their plea. Sure, there are a few cute Willems elements, like a rubber duck that looks a bit like Pig ...more
midnightfaerie
Not one of my favorite Willems, although he's one of my favorite author's of children's books. Written like an overdone cartoon, the mice are meant to add some fun distraction but there are too many to not find at least mildly disturbing. A great concept, learning when and how to say please, but no real reading value or other educational value besides that. Still, my preschoolers found it interesting.
Dolly
Feb 28, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens
This is a cute story by Mo Willems. His cartoon characters are lovable and are easy for our girls to relate to. This story encourages the use of manners, a little bit too obviously, but it's still a fun book.
Amy
Willems, M. (2005). Time to Say “Please”! Hyperion Books for Children.
Picture Book Soak
This book uses humor to teach children about manners - the importance of saying please when you want something, and reminders to say “thank you” and “ ‘sorry’ is useful. (But you have to mean it!)” Illustrations are classic Mo Willems cartoon style drawings, with lots of entertaining mice scattered throughout, including on the endpapers, which add interest to the illustrations. I thought this one wasn’t quite
Snorkle
Initial thoughts after reading (found in a notebook): Pretty cool, me and Mo think a lot alike.
Inspired Kathy
A book about manners: saying please, sorry, excuse, & thank you.
Russell
Mo Willems teaches you how to work a mark. (view spoiler)
Morgan Groth
Literary Elements: the moral is to say please and why it is important; for style, the arrangement of the words is interesting and isn't like every other book; the mice are the ones telling about why Please is important. I would use this book in kindergarten in the first week. First, I would ask the students when they say please and why they say it. After reading the book, I would ask them these questions again and see what they learned from it. I would want them to walk away understanding in wha ...more
Rachel
"Please" takes the stage in this kind reminder to use that ever important word. As the narrator relates its uses, the little mice act as a conscience, encouraging the boys and girls to do the right thing. Even while carrying signs, they get up to some silly antics, adding a lighthearted tone rather than one of someone preaching. For this reason, children will find this enjoyable and may learn the appropriate way to get that much desired cookie from the jar.
Callie Arosen
This book is simple, but teaches children the importance of saying things with grace and love - the respectful way. I loved the way that Mo Willems presented proper responses in a fun and engaging way through his artwork. The large text and colorful pictures pulls the reader into the story. Because he has the attention of the reader through these techniques, he can talk about the important issue of saying things respectfully in a fun way. This book teaches children important lessons in an enjoya ...more
Devon
This is a great little read to reinforce manners and Mo Willems' drawings will surely captivate young readers familiar with his Pigeon books or the Elephant and Piggy series.
Brady Pullman
Obvious theme is using your manners. I'd use this book on the first day of school or in the first week. I could also talk about how we react when we don't get what we want.
Amy Harris
Willems, M. (2005). Time to Say Please! Hyperion Books for Children.
Picture Book Soak
This book uses humor to teach children about manners - the importance of saying please when you want something, and reminders to say thank you and sorry is useful. (But you have to mean it!) Illustrations are classic Mo Willems cartoon style drawings, with lots of entertaining mice scattered throughout, including on the endpapers, which add interest to the illustrations. I thought this one wasnt quite as cleve
Sarah Adamson
Gorgeous book on manners. Few words are used but the pictures speak volumes. How and when to say please and thank you and excuse me.
Stephanie Croaning
Mo makes learning manners fun! I love the surprise appearances by Pigeon and Duckling.
Margaux
I'd definitely use this as a way to teach manners to young children.
Lauren White
Good for grades prek-1. Talks about manners.
Charlotte
Library book - this is Charlotte's current favorite book. I read it three times back to back this morning, and then her auntie read it five times back to back this afternoon. I'm not sure what it is about the book that Charlotte likes so much. It's a book about manners - really rudimentary stuff. Not preachy or overly sweet, kind of matter-of-fact. "If you want something, really really want something, don't just grab it. Go find a big person and say please," is pretty much the message here. Than ...more
Teri
manners. who needs them? we all do.
Cheyenne
Good manners book for young children.
Jennifer Rampton
Title: Time to Say Please
Bibliographic Reference: Willems, M (2005). Time to say please. New York, NY: Hyperion Book for children.
Illustrator: Mo Williems
Summary: This book is an introduction to good manners. It teaches please, excuse me, sorry and thank you. It has basic pictures and simple words that the students can start learning about when is the right time to say please, thank you, sorry or excuse me. I would use this book to show and talk to them about manners and when to use them.
Willems, Mo. Time to Say "Please"! (2005)

Annotation: a Child wants a cookie so little mice around him tell him to say please instead of just grabbing it himself. They also tell him other reasons for saying please, excuse me and thank- you.

Themes: manners, getting what you want

Ways to use with children: You could use this books to talk about having and using good manners. You could come up with a list of other ways to have good manners.

Recommended ages: 2- 8
Veronica
I'm working on creating a booklist for my local public library. This book was one in consideration for this list.

This will be on my list. It is completely perfect in every way. It's interesting, catchy illustrations, and directly presents manners of "please," "excuse me," and "thank you." Totally perfect for my exercise, and classic Mo Willems. Easy to read and understand the text, with a fun layout.
Sabrina Henry
This is a simple about saying , "Please". It has very simple pictures and simple words to use to help children learn some social skills: like saying plaese and thnak you.
The vocabulary is simple. O like the illustrations of th eword, 'please' presented in various sizes, shapes,and colors.The repetition of the word 'please' can aid in children's comprehension and use of the word.
Paul
I like Willems' all-over-the-place visual style, Trixie, all the text that appears on placards, parachutes, marquees, balloons, banners, signs, a blackboard, flags, a ship sail, and more, and all the mice who overpopulate this volume. This is more of a manners instruction book than a story, so it won't be satisfying in the way that Willem's plot-oriented books are. (First read 9/27/12)
Sheniece
This would be a fun book to read to Pre-K students to introduce the meaning and use of the word “please.” Children at the Pre-K level are very egocentric and don't know the appropriate way to ask for things. Reading this will be a good approach to teaching and modeling social behaviors and words to use such as please, excuse me, thank you etc.
Lisa
A cute little book that helps teach children manners - more particularly, the importance of saying please. Mo Willems has wonderful illustrations as always, and the quirkiness of the mice who teach the children by holding up silly signs on each page, was what made the book great :). My kids loved it.
  • Dinosaur vs. the Library
  • Yes We Can!
  • Ugly Fish
  • Dino Bites!
  • The Purple Kangaroo
  • Life-Size Zoo: From Tiny Rodents to Gigantic Elephants, An Actual Size Animal Encyclopedia
  • Shout! Shout It Out!
  • Monsters Love Colors
  • Arlene Sardine
  • Green Wilma
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r
More about Mo Willems...
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale Knuffle Bunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identity Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!