Start by marking “Kidnapped (Irene Kelly #10)” as Want to Read:
Kidnapped (Irene Kelly #10)

Kidnapped (Irene Kelly #10)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  1,012 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
Reporter Irene Kelly and her husband, Detective Frank Harriman, are back in this New York Times bestseller, in which they work to untangle the threads of a past crime and a haunting disappearance while trying to survive the present.
Published October 3rd 2006 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Kidnapped, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kidnapped

Monica Ricardez
Apr 09, 2014 Monica Ricardez rated it did not like it
Having read Bones and Bloodlines I was expecting another page-turning suspense-thriller but I was unpleasantly surprised. Kidnapped is definitely not one of Burke's best works. Despite it's interesting introduction to a mysterious character in the beginning, the story line takes too long to develop. The introduction of too many characters turn the story more complex than interesting. Trying to follow each family while trying to identify every member becomes cumbersome and worst of all, it become ...more
Angela
Aug 11, 2008 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery readers
Interestingly enough, I started to read this book and realized that I had read a portion of it before...looked up the information online and, yep, it was an email bookclub read 2 years ago! How's that for memory?

Anyway, to the book....

You read through this one knowing pretty much how certain things happened, so there's no surprises there. It's interesting, though, to follow the story as it develops for the characters.

The only thing that I noticed, which kind of bugged me just a little, is switch
Amy
Sep 29, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
this book really kept your interest. I am very glad I picked it up. it makes me want to go back and read other Irene Kelly books just to see how they go. The story line on this one was very scary though. way too realistic in some sense. Maybe it just hti to close to home for me because i work with foster and adopted children all the time.
Dawn Fayard
Sep 10, 2013 Dawn Fayard rated it it was ok
I have a problem with books that start off with a laundry list of characters...I spent more time flipping back pages to remember who was related by marriage,birth, adoption, foster care...yadda yadda..it was a bit annoying.
LJ
KIDNAPPED (Unlicensed Investigator(Reporter)-So. Cal-Cont) – Okay
Burke, Jan – 12th in series
Simon & Schuster, 2006-Hardcover
*** Reporter Irene Burke does an article on kidnapped children that ties her into a 5-year-old murder of Robert Fletcher, for which one son is imprisoned, the daughter missing and the remaining son working with forensic anthropologist Ben Sheridan. Robert Fletcher’s father believed in adopting and fostering children, home schooling them before enrolling them in the pres
Lynn
Apr 07, 2013 Lynn rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller
Kidnapped started out well. It had an interesting premise with a murder, a kidnapping, and what appeared to be a wrongful conviction of another family member. The murder victim was a member of the Fletcher clan, a family of foster kids adopted by a benevolent millionaire and his wife. Despite their tough backgrounds, all of these kids grew up to be highly successful adults. And there were lots of them. It seemed almost everytime a new character was introduced, he or she was a closet Fletcher. So ...more
Linda
Jul 06, 2014 Linda rated it liked it
This was the first book that I had read by Jan Burke and in the Irene Kelly series. I didn't realize that it was a series when I first picked it up. One thing I didn't like was that there were soooo many characters. The beginning was difficult for me because of the huge number of characters. Maybe if I'd started with the 1st book in the series, it would have been easier?? Anyway, Irene Kelly is a reporter who is married to a police detective. I liked both of these characters. In this case, there ...more
Teena in Toronto
Jun 14, 2012 Teena in Toronto rated it liked it
This is the tenth book in the series of eleven (as of 2011) ... I'm rereading the series.

As with most in this series, I find that there are way too many characters and I have a hard time keeping them straight. This one was especially tricky because there were so many in the Fletcher family. A family tree would have been helpful.

Ethan from the last book is still staying with Irene and Frank recovering ... he had such a inconsequential role that I wondered why he was even in it.

There were a few tw
Susan
I can honestly say that this book is one of the rare ones that gave me a headache while reading it. The storyline is too unbelievable and goes all over the place. There are way too many characters and none are likable. People get killed at the drop of a hat and it doesn't even seem necessary.Irene Kelly is like some all-knowing,all-involved diety-why is she in everything that is going on and have such a hand in all aspects?? Even the kids in this book stick her in the thick of things and they di ...more
Marlyn
Jan 23, 2008 Marlyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Shelves: mystery
Every time I read Jan Burke's latest book, I think it's her best. I thought Hocus was the best. I thought Bloodlines was her best. But I'm pretty sure that Kidnapped is really her best.
Members of the Fletcher family, a large, unusual SoCal clan, are being killed. One of Irene's former colleagues married into the family, though that is not the only reason Irene's investigative senses are tingling. She's just done a feature on children kidnapped by their non-custodial parents. One of the Fletcher
Mary
Jun 10, 2008 Mary rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery fans
This was probably the best mystery I've read in a while. Irene Kelly is a journalist working on a missing children story for her newspaper which leads her into all sorts of danger. Murdered fathers, search and rescue dogs, kidnapped siblings, people pretending to be who they aren't - this book has it all, along with brief chapters and page turning suspense that makes it hard to stop reading. There is a plotline about a cult-like extended family that is integral to the story, but somewhat unreali ...more
George
Feb 19, 2008 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another in the Irene Kelly, Southern California newspaper reporter, mystery series. As usual in this series, there is a solid plot as Irene works to unravel the mystery. In this case it involves an extended family of people fostered or adopted as children to comprise a large family of "related" influencial people in Kelly's community. The plot starts dealing with missing children, moves to involved murder, someone framed for murder, and a number of children gone missing.

Plot line is a bit differ
Kat
Oct 26, 2012 Kat rated it did not like it
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the start of Edgar-winner Burke's well-crafted 10th novel of suspense (after 2005's Bloodlines), sociopathic killer Cleo Smith has just murdered a graphic artist, Richard Fletcher, who was a member of a large, bizarre California family, but Smith's motive for the killing remains obscure. Five years later, Fletcher's adopted son has been wrongfully convicted of the crime, and Burke's resourceful and compassionate reporter heroine, Irene Kelly, has written a story about missing children that ha ...more
Dawn
Sep 03, 2014 Dawn rated it really liked it
A man is murdered, his son accused, and his daughter missing, possibly dead. Reporter Irene Kelly is entangled in Southern California crime solving once more when she writes a report on local missing children. Author Jan Burke brings back favorite characters in this tenth book of the Irene Kelly Mystery series. Burke adds new voices, those of children, highlighting their intellect and curiosity, as readers turn pages furiously to solve the mystery. Recommended. Although the novel stands on its o ...more
Donna Davis
Sep 03, 2012 Donna Davis rated it really liked it
So...how's your heart?

The pacing in Jan Burke's Irene Kelly series is unrelenting. The only issue that keeps that fifth star (which to me, means flat-out amazing) is that after ten episodes, I find myself saying, "Really? All these things happened to this one woman?" Being married to a cop only explains so much, even when the reader is willing to set reality aside to some extent and buy into the writer's premise.

That said, I really enjoy her work, and this one--whose plot I will leave to the rea
Ed
Jul 18, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
Shelves: reporter, action
#10 in the Irene Kelly series. Finalist 2007 Anthony Award for Best Mystery; Finalist 2007 Nero Award.

#10 Irene Kelly has written about missing children and now the body of a man assumed to be an abductor parent has been uncovered. Irene also gets involved in reviewing the situation of Mason Fletcher, in prison for the last five years and estranged from his far-flung family, convicted of killing his father and his pre-school age sister (whose body has not been located).

Cupcakencorset
Oct 05, 2010 Cupcakencorset rated it really liked it
I think this is the newest Irene Kelly novel available now, so I’m caught up at last. Which is great, ’cause I love that feeling, but it also sucks, ’cause now I’ll have to wait and hope and wait and search and wait… and I hate waiting for the next book in any series. This one was good, though, really good. And it came out in 2006, so maybe that means a new one is rather imminent? A girl can hope! (written in 2008)
Jodi Pomerleau
Oct 10, 2012 Jodi Pomerleau rated it really liked it
I liked it. I read reviews which said there were too many characters to keep straight, but I don't read a story all in one sitting and I had no trouble. I love Irene Kelly's character, but she seems to get into the wildest situations. It is fiction after all, so the likelihood of so many odd things happening to one person is a bit exaggerated for entertainment purposes.
Jennie
Oct 31, 2009 Jennie rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Didn't finish - skipped to the end to find out who the baddies where. I couldn't make head nor tail of the characters in this book. It probably would have helped if I had read any of the author's books before I guess, as this was number 9 in the series, but it just seemed to me that there was a cast of thousands and a confusing plot.
Helen
Jul 09, 2013 Helen rated it liked it
A good solid mystery - good characters, and I'll definitely read more of the series, but as the book went along, "holes" developed and some of the story lines seemed unevenly developed. I also didnt like that they alluded a lot to events in previous books but never filled in more of the back story on that. I can see not retelling the whole story, but this was even less info than a "tease."
Lian Tanner
May 23, 2012 Lian Tanner rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, thriller
Another excellent crime series that I'm reading my way through. This addresses the highly emotive topic of kidnapped children, and does it with great compassion, giving us an insight into the nightmare life of parents whose kids have been taken. Irene Kelly is a wonderful protagonist - intelligent, brave and resourceful, and the children in the story are also terrific.
Mike
Mar 25, 2008 Mike rated it it was ok
I'm in a Bad Book Funk right now. 3 straight books that I haven't been able to finish.

Kidnapped was a good enough premise, but there were just so many characters to keep track of. And you'd read about a character for 3 or 4 pages, then not hear from them again for 40 pages. By then, you've forgotten them.
Starket
Apr 27, 2008 Starket rated it liked it
I always enjoy the Irene Kelly series of Jan Burke. This was good but it had so many characters that it was a bit difficult to keep track of who was who and how they were related. It was suspensful to the very end, which I always like. I would have given it a higher rating if she could have kept the characters better defined.
Joe O'Connor
Aug 27, 2009 Joe O'Connor rated it liked it
Very Good; Continuing character: Irene Kelly; a story by reporter Kelly related to missing children helps uncover a family which has stolen children from "undeserving" parents, some of whom they murdered
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Just a good, fast, exciting read. Children all around a certain age range have been disappearing, assumed to be dead or abducted by noncustodial parents. Read it to find out what's really happening to them.
Erin Peel
Mar 26, 2010 Erin Peel rated it liked it
I`ve read it before but it was on my bookself and I couldn`t remember the details of the plot. I am really enjoying it and all the surprise connections between characters. I will definitly look for more books by this author in the future. ...more
Michelle Citrone
Aug 03, 2016 Michelle Citrone rated it it was ok
I find the Irene Kelly series hit or miss and this was a miss! Like many others have stated the number of characters is overwhelming and I found it hard to follow and not really caring too much about the fate of most of them!
Anna Coppola
Aug 04, 2011 Anna Coppola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first book I read by Jan Burke, but definately not my last. It kept you guessing what would happen next and wanting to keep reading to find out. I would recommend this book to my friends.
Joyce McKune
Feb 04, 2011 Joyce McKune rated it it was amazing
Irene is doing a series of stories about children taken by their non-custodial parent. An associate of Ben had his younger sister abducted several years before. His older brother was in prison for murdering their father and the girl, though her body was never found.
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • Stiff News (Inspector Sloan #17)
  • Spider Dance (Irene Adler, #8)
  • An Unthymely Death and Other Garden Mysteries
  • Peace Breaks Out
  • Weird Texas: Your travel guide to Texas's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • The Gap in the Curtain (Sir Edward Leithen #4)
  • The Tamarind Seed
  • The Mayfair Affair (Rannoch/Fraser Publication Order, #8)
  • Desire and Duty: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • The Benson Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #1)

Irene Kelly (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Goodnight, Irene (Irene Kelly #1)
  • Sweet Dreams, Irene (Irene Kelly #2)
  • Dear Irene (Irene Kelly #3)
  • Remember Me, Irene (Irene Kelly #4)
  • Hocus (Irene Kelly #5)
  • Liar (Irene Kelly, #6)
  • Bones (Irene Kelly, #7)
  • Flight (Irene Kelly, #8)
  • Bloodlines (Irene Kelly, #9)
  • Disturbance (Irene Kelly, #11)