Kidnapped (Irene Kelly #10)

Kidnapped (Irene Kelly #10)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  768 ratings  ·  68 reviews
When Irene Kelly's articles profiling missing children run in the "Las Piernas Express," she anticipates the renewed public interest and the deluge of phone tips and remembered clues; she even anticipates the renewed pain of the anguished parents. What she doesn't expect is that the articles will set off a murderous chain reaction -- and put her life in peril.Perhaps one o...more
Published October 3rd 2006 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2006)

Captive in the Dark by C.J. RobertsStolen by Lucy ChristopherSeduced in the Dark by C.J. RobertsConsequences by Aleatha RomigComfort Food by Kitty Thomas
Kidnapped!
149th out of 417 books — 1,236 voters

More lists with this book...

Angela
Aug 15, 2008 Angela rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery readers
Interestingly enough, I started to read this book and realized that I had read a portion of it before...looked up the information online and, yep, it was an email bookclub read 2 years ago! How's that for memory?

Anyway, to the book....

You read through this one knowing pretty much how certain things happened, so there's no surprises there. It's interesting, though, to follow the story as it develops for the characters.

The only thing that I noticed, which kind of bugged me just a little, is switch...more
Monica Ricardez
Having read Bones and Bloodlines I was expecting another page-turning suspense-thriller but I was unpleasantly surprised. Kidnapped is definitely not one of Burke's best works. Despite it's interesting introduction to a mysterious character in the beginning, the story line takes too long to develop. The introduction of too many characters turn the story more complex than interesting. Trying to follow each family while trying to identify every member becomes cumbersome and worst of all, it become...more
Linda
This was the first book that I had read by Jan Burke and in the Irene Kelly series. I didn't realize that it was a series when I first picked it up. One thing I didn't like was that there were soooo many characters. The beginning was difficult for me because of the huge number of characters. Maybe if I'd started with the 1st book in the series, it would have been easier?? Anyway, Irene Kelly is a reporter who is married to a police detective. I liked both of these characters. In this case, there...more
Amy
this book really kept your interest. I am very glad I picked it up. it makes me want to go back and read other Irene Kelly books just to see how they go. The story line on this one was very scary though. way too realistic in some sense. Maybe it just hti to close to home for me because i work with foster and adopted children all the time.
Dawn Fayard
I have a problem with books that start off with a laundry list of characters...I spent more time flipping back pages to remember who was related by marriage,birth, adoption, foster care...yadda yadda..it was a bit annoying.
LJ
KIDNAPPED (Unlicensed Investigator(Reporter)-So. Cal-Cont) – Okay
Burke, Jan – 12th in series
Simon & Schuster, 2006-Hardcover
*** Reporter Irene Burke does an article on kidnapped children that ties her into a 5-year-old murder of Robert Fletcher, for which one son is imprisoned, the daughter missing and the remaining son working with forensic anthropologist Ben Sheridan. Robert Fletcher’s father believed in adopting and fostering children, home schooling them before enrolling them in the pres...more
Teena in Toronto
This is the tenth book in the series of eleven (as of 2011) ... I'm rereading the series.

As with most in this series, I find that there are way too many characters and I have a hard time keeping them straight. This one was especially tricky because there were so many in the Fletcher family. A family tree would have been helpful.

Ethan from the last book is still staying with Irene and Frank recovering ... he had such a inconsequential role that I wondered why he was even in it.

There were a few tw...more
Lynn
Kidnapped started out well. It had an interesting premise with a murder, a kidnapping, and what appeared to be a wrongful conviction of another family member. The murder victim was a member of the Fletcher clan, a family of foster kids adopted by a benevolent millionaire and his wife. Despite their tough backgrounds, all of these kids grew up to be highly successful adults. And there were lots of them. It seemed almost everytime a new character was introduced, he or she was a closet Fletcher. So...more
Susan
I can honestly say that this book is one of the rare ones that gave me a headache while reading it. The storyline is too unbelievable and goes all over the place. There are way too many characters and none are likable. People get killed at the drop of a hat and it doesn't even seem necessary.Irene Kelly is like some all-knowing,all-involved diety-why is she in everything that is going on and have such a hand in all aspects?? Even the kids in this book stick her in the thick of things and they di...more
Marlyn
Feb 01, 2008 Marlyn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Shelves: mystery
Every time I read Jan Burke's latest book, I think it's her best. I thought Hocus was the best. I thought Bloodlines was her best. But I'm pretty sure that Kidnapped is really her best.
Members of the Fletcher family, a large, unusual SoCal clan, are being killed. One of Irene's former colleagues married into the family, though that is not the only reason Irene's investigative senses are tingling. She's just done a feature on children kidnapped by their non-custodial parents. One of the Fletcher...more
Mary
Jun 10, 2008 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery fans
This was probably the best mystery I've read in a while. Irene Kelly is a journalist working on a missing children story for her newspaper which leads her into all sorts of danger. Murdered fathers, search and rescue dogs, kidnapped siblings, people pretending to be who they aren't - this book has it all, along with brief chapters and page turning suspense that makes it hard to stop reading. There is a plotline about a cult-like extended family that is integral to the story, but somewhat unreali...more
George
Another in the Irene Kelly, Southern California newspaper reporter, mystery series. As usual in this series, there is a solid plot as Irene works to unravel the mystery. In this case it involves an extended family of people fostered or adopted as children to comprise a large family of "related" influencial people in Kelly's community. The plot starts dealing with missing children, moves to involved murder, someone framed for murder, and a number of children gone missing.

Plot line is a bit differ...more
Catherine Woodman
At the start of Edgar-winner Burke's well-crafted 10th novel of suspense (after 2005's Bloodlines), sociopathic killer Cleo Smith has just murdered a graphic artist, Richard Fletcher, who was a member of a large, bizarre California family, but Smith's motive for the killing remains obscure. Five years later, Fletcher's adopted son has been wrongfully convicted of the crime, and Burke's resourceful and compassionate reporter heroine, Irene Kelly, has written a story about missing children that ha...more
Kat
Kevin Bachovchin
One of my favorite Jan Burke books.
Donna
So...how's your heart?

The pacing in Jan Burke's Irene Kelly series is unrelenting. The only issue that keeps that fifth star (which to me, means flat-out amazing) is that after ten episodes, I find myself saying, "Really? All these things happened to this one woman?" Being married to a cop only explains so much, even when the reader is willing to set reality aside to some extent and buy into the writer's premise.

That said, I really enjoy her work, and this one--whose plot I will leave to the rea...more
Ruth
Irene Kelly series.
Cupcakencorset
I think this is the newest Irene Kelly novel available now, so I’m caught up at last. Which is great, ’cause I love that feeling, but it also sucks, ’cause now I’ll have to wait and hope and wait and search and wait… and I hate waiting for the next book in any series. This one was good, though, really good. And it came out in 2006, so maybe that means a new one is rather imminent? A girl can hope! (written in 2008)
Helen
A good solid mystery - good characters, and I'll definitely read more of the series, but as the book went along, "holes" developed and some of the story lines seemed unevenly developed. I also didnt like that they alluded a lot to events in previous books but never filled in more of the back story on that. I can see not retelling the whole story, but this was even less info than a "tease."
Lian Tanner
Another excellent crime series that I'm reading my way through. This addresses the highly emotive topic of kidnapped children, and does it with great compassion, giving us an insight into the nightmare life of parents whose kids have been taken. Irene Kelly is a wonderful protagonist - intelligent, brave and resourceful, and the children in the story are also terrific.
Jodi Pomerleau
I liked it. I read reviews which said there were too many characters to keep straight, but I don't read a story all in one sitting and I had no trouble. I love Irene Kelly's character, but she seems to get into the wildest situations. It is fiction after all, so the likelihood of so many odd things happening to one person is a bit exaggerated for entertainment purposes.
Jennie
Didn't finish - skipped to the end to find out who the baddies where. I couldn't make head nor tail of the characters in this book. It probably would have helped if I had read any of the author's books before I guess, as this was number 9 in the series, but it just seemed to me that there was a cast of thousands and a confusing plot.
Starket
I always enjoy the Irene Kelly series of Jan Burke. This was good but it had so many characters that it was a bit difficult to keep track of who was who and how they were related. It was suspensful to the very end, which I always like. I would have given it a higher rating if she could have kept the characters better defined.
Mike
I'm in a Bad Book Funk right now. 3 straight books that I haven't been able to finish.

Kidnapped was a good enough premise, but there were just so many characters to keep track of. And you'd read about a character for 3 or 4 pages, then not hear from them again for 40 pages. By then, you've forgotten them.
Connie
This is #10 in Irene Kelly series and it is about a family that adopts children that are gifted. They are not really adopted as someone snatches the kids and kills the parents. Irene is drawn into the case even though she is not allowed to report on it. Hard book to put down.
Joyce McKune
Irene is doing a series of stories about children taken by their non-custodial parent. An associate of Ben had his younger sister abducted several years before. His older brother was in prison for murdering their father and the girl, though her body was never found.
Nicole
A lot of reviews indicate this is not one of the author's best work. If that is true, then I can't wait to read more of her books! I enjoyed this story from beginning to end.....loved all the characters and the complicated relationships. Great read.....
Erin Peel
I`ve read it before but it was on my bookself and I couldn`t remember the details of the plot. I am really enjoying it and all the surprise connections between characters. I will definitly look for more books by this author in the future.
Joe O'c
Very Good; Continuing character: Irene Kelly; a story by reporter Kelly related to missing children helps uncover a family which has stolen children from "undeserving" parents, some of whom they murdered
Anna Coppola
This was my first book I read by Jan Burke, but definately not my last. It kept you guessing what would happen next and wanting to keep reading to find out. I would recommend this book to my friends.
  • Spider Dance (Irene Adler, #8)
  • An Experiment In Treason (Sir John Fielding, #9)
  • An Unthymely Death and Other Garden Mysteries
  • The Benson Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #1)
  • Beneath a Silent Moon (Charles & Mélanie Fraser #2)
  • The Paris Affair (Charles & Mélanie Fraser, #6)
  • The Lost Witness (Lena Gamble, #2)
  • Winter And Night (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #8)
  • The Skeleton in the Closet
  • The Jasmine Trade
  • Home Fires (Deborah Knott Mysteries #6)
  • Dandy Gilver and an Unsuitable Day for a Murder (Dandy Gilver, #6)
Goodnight, Irene (Irene Kelly #1) Bones (Irene Kelly, #7) Sweet Dreams, Irene (Irene Kelly #2) Dear Irene (Irene Kelly #3) Hocus (Irene Kelly #5)