J'adore New York

J'adore New York (J'adore #1)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  331 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Catherine Lambert loves fashion and the law. One of only three applicants, out of a pool of thirty, selected to transfer from Edwards & White's Paris office to its Manhattan headquarters, and the only one assigned to the corporate group, Catherine is determined to continue impressing her bosses with her diligence and legal prowess. Meeting the firm's billable hours quo...more
391 pages
Published (first published January 1st 2010)

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaSomething Borrowed by Emily GiffinBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingSomething Blue by Emily GiffinPride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Best chicklit
217th out of 592 books — 867 voters

More lists with this book...

Janie Hickok Siess
Synopsis:

Catherine Lambert loves fashion and the law. One of only three applicants, out of a pool of thirty, selected to transfer from Edwards & White’s Paris office to its Manhattan headquarters, and the only one assigned to the corporate group, Catherine is determined to continue impressing her bosses with her diligence and legal prowess. Meeting the firm’s billable hours quota means long days and short nights, especially when two heinously spiteful secretaries are conspiring to undermine...more
Jonita
Catherine Lambert is thrilled when she applies for, and is offered, the opportunity to transfer from the Paris office of her prestigious law firm to the New York one. Catherine has always been a lover of fashion and can't wait to explore all that New York has to offer her.

What Catherine is not counting on is the fact that New York will be far more challenging that she initially anticipated. Catherine is under constant pressure to meet her billable hours quota, and her bosses aren't afraid to put...more
Samantha Janning
Catherine Lambert, a Parisian lawyer who loves style and a good challenge, takes the opportunity to transfer to her firm’s New York office. New York- the fashion, the glamour, the excitement- Catherine cannot wait for her new chapter in life. But New York turns out to be nothing what she expected. The workload and office hours are much worse than what she put in at Paris, the employees are gossipers, her boss very well may be from hell, and her clients are self-absorbed a-holes. But Catherine is...more
CLM
So disappointed in this book: by the dimwitted heroine (who should have been disbarred or fired for her behavior), her lack of discretion, her shopping and drinking in the middle of the workday - it did not resemble any law firm I have ever witnessed. I was also appalled by the poor proofreading (defence instead of defense, etc.), although that might have been her editor's fault.
Louise
Ugh. Complete crap. I liked the cover and took a chance. What a waste. Terrible characters, terrible writing, boring storyline, main character was a completely self-obsessed loser. How anyone is supposed to believe that this woman is a high powered lawyer is beyond me. More like a talentless Bridget Jones without the humour.
Angie Holtz
From: Lilac Wolf and Stuff

The cover shows a gorgeous woman with the most stylish pink suit-dress I've ever seen, you know you are in for a style conscious character. And yes, Catherine Lambert loves fashion! It plays an important roll to the plot as well.

So you know Catherine finally lands the transfer to New York she has been working so hard to get. She wants to become partner and is determined to work herself to death to get it. Okay not literally, but she works such crazy hours I lose the abi...more
Kevin I Heart.. Chick Lit
Review originally on I Heart.. Chick Lit.
www.iheart-chicklit.blogspot.com

I was so so so thrilled when Isabelle Laflèche told me she would be more than happy to send me a copy of her (absolutely fabulous) debut novel. Let me tell you this: I finished it on the same day it arrived in my mailbox. It was seriously addictive and I loved it so much. J'Adore New York is the third book I've devoured in a day this year and I'm more than happy to gush about how perfect it is to wrap up a fantastic year!

Do...more
Michele
Review (and response from author!) can also be found on my blog!

J’adore New York has constantly caught my eye at the bookstore, and when my friend finished it in a matter of days, I asked to borrow it. Figuring I’d enjoy it, I didn’t realize how quickly I’d actually get through it as well! This debut novel from Isabelle Laflèche, a fellow Canadian, is a fun and entertaining read.

The novel follows the story of Catherine, a Parisian lawyer transferred to her firm’s New York City office and her str...more
Meg
When Catherine Lambert leaves her law firm’s Paris office for the glitzy allure of New York City, she’s not quite prepared for the whirlwind that soon becomes her life: a maze of racking up billable hours, battling diva bosses and struggling with interoffice dynamics. As an accomplished lawyer in a top firm, Catherine has dreams of making partner and donning the latest Dior fashions — preferably at the same time. But shall the two ever meet? And when her time at the firm begins to sour, is it ti...more
Aliisa Percival
I had such high hopes for this novel. A Parisian woman moves to NYC! Written by a Canadian! Sadly, it just... fell completely flat. The writing is technically sufficient, but the characters are so flimsy and hollow. The protagonist seems to feel superior to all the shallow and judgmental people around her, but she is actually exactly the same as them. I gave up halfway through, but skipping to the end revealed that nothing would change. No character growth (because the character is perfect, of c...more
Karolina
Wchodząc do księgarni, każdy śmiertelnik poczuje się przytłoczony ilością książek, wśród których nagle się znalazł. Podobne uczucie towarzyszy odwiedzinom w bibliotece. Różnica polega na tym, że dzieła przechodzące z rąk do rąk wręcz pulsują życiem historii zapisanych na ich kartach… a te nowe, pachnące papierem świeżo sprasowanym czekają na okazję zaczerpnięcia pierwszego tchu. W pewien sposób przypominają teatrzyk marionetek zdany na łaskę publiczności. Kocham Nowy Jork to wyjątkowe przedstawi...more
Gloria
I was really disappointed by this book. I never really got a feeling for the main character Catherine, and for someone who is French and moving to NYC, I felt that the book used too many American colloquialisms that a European would just not even think to use. Plus, for a character that was so dedicated to her work and doing the right thing, I was confused by a lot of her choices throughout the book. Definitely not worth the time it took to get through it.
Karine Shauli
This was a fun quick read about a Parisian woman who works in Law and transfers to the NY office of her firm in order to try and make partner. She slowly see's how New York eats up the soul, tries to keep composure, and it's great to read how a woman can never let go of her real passions...

I really enjoyed reading this book, it made me giggle, smile, and laugh on the inside. If you ever need something light and fun grab J'adore New York.
Jencey/
I loved this book! The Devil Wears Prada meets the lawyer world. My two favorite subjects in books high fashion and a hardworking career. The character of Catherine is a likable character and one that the reader will come to love. Some of the other characters in the book will keep you guessing as to where their loyalties lie. This book is the perfect debate book for Isabelle Lafleche.
Mika
The book appealed to me because of the fashion involved, but the characters were lackluster, the dialogue was too much and too juvenile, and the plot was too cliche. Not worth buying, which I did, but cute if you want something fast to read without having to think too deeply about anything.
Ineke van Mackelenbergh
Fast paced, highly amusing and a fun read!
Totally hilarious, albeit 'vacuous' - it was a good read. Snappy & good writing style, the story holds your attention all the way. I look forward to finding the author's next novel...
Super "chic-lit"!
Talli Roland
I'm always up for supporting fellow Canadian authors, so when I saw this gorgeous cover at the airport before flying back to London, I grabbed it. It's a great insider's view of corporate life in New York and a very enjoyable read.
Anne Martin
I enjoyed the book, it was witty and funny. My biggest problem? why, why, why did she make the heroine a French woman when the author does not know France or its laws? if she was a French Canadian everything would run smoothly. But France relies on written law, nothing like common law, it would be impossible for an American law company to have an office in France, the stock market is watched and controlled but not by the SEC, Dior, whether in France or in the States, belongs to LVMH and could no...more
Ineke van Mackelenbergh
Janine
I received this book for a review from Tripfiction. Catherine Lambert has been offered her dream job - to transfer from her Paris legal office to the New York office. She is so excited to be surrounded by the people, food and fashion of New York. What she finds is that work is much tougher her and her new boss is so hell-bent on her own position in the company that she is prepared to walk all over her to get ahead.

Mix with that the half-price fashion sales, and her delightful assistant who trie...more
Melissa
Great story! Check out our review and giveaway! (US/Canada only, ends 10/10.)

Melissa
At first I liked this book, but as it progressed it just got worse for me. I felt like the storyline was a bit disconnected along with the characters.
Jennifer Stark
I felt like I was in the whirlwind with the main character. The book was fast paced and an enjoyable read! Will be recommending this to friends.
Edna
Ok 2.5 but a little pointless and repetitive at times. We got the picture being a lawyer is exhausting and not fulfilling. Got it.
writer...
will be watching for Isabelle LaFleche's J'adore Paris! light 'chic'lit, but easy to get into the story..
Marie-Michèle
Très hâte de lire la suite... :)
Ingrid
Fantastique, j'adore!!!
Cindy
Fast paced and very fun, J'Adore New York pulled me in to Catherine's story very quickly. In only the first few pages there are horrible bosses, flat tires, crazy taxi drivers, champagne and fraud; entertained I finished the book faster than I had expected.

Catherine transfers to New York, hoping that this will be a great move and the next step to becoming partner in the firm. She is determined to work hard and meet every challenge that her bosses throw at her, not really interested in much else...more
Danielle
Catherine Lambert has just landed her dream job, or so she thinks. She’s in the heart of the big apple, New York City, with hardly a friend in sight and not even an apartment to come home to quite yet. She quickly learns that the only way to survive in the cut throat business of corporate law is to scratch your way to the top or get out of the way. When her new life begins to crumble before her eyes Catherine is left wondering where things went wrong and what choices she should make next.

First t...more
Anjana
First of all, I have to start by thanking the author, Isabelle Lafleche, for sending me a review copy. I live in India and it's not cheap to ship anything here. It was really generous and kind of the author to agree to sending me a copy without hesitation.

It was the cover, more than anything, that made me really want to read J'adore New York, isn't it gorgeous? Of course, the blurb pulled me in too.

Catherine Lambert is an attorney working at Edwards & White's Paris office. When a spot open...more
Interview and Giveaway 1 5 Jul 26, 2010 08:04AM
  • In Need of Therapy
  • Balancing Acts
  • Life After Yes
  • Soutien-gorge rose et veston noir
  • The Truth About Delilah Blue
  • Gossip
  • The Wedding Writer
  • Georgia's Kitchen
  • Click
Bonjour! I worked for over ten years as a lawyer before giving up my career to write. In 2005, I was responsible for the business affairs of a fashion designer where I developed a penchant for haute couture. I enjoy yoga, running, skiing, and walking my pooch Leo.

My first novel, J'adore New York, became an international bestseller. The sequel, J'ADORE PARIS, was published last spring! I am current...more
More about Isabelle Lafleche...
J'Adore Paris Ich Liebe Dior!Eine Charmante Komödie Um Verrückte Anwälte, Liebenswerte Freunde Und Den Ganz Besonderen Mann J'Adore Paris Carnet d'une romancière à Paris J'adore Rome