Start by marking “J'adore New York” as Want to Read:
J'adore New York

J'adore New York (J'adore #1)

Catherine Lambert loves fashion and the law. One of only three applicants, out of a pool of thirty, selected to transfer from Edwards & White's Paris office to its Manhattan headquarters, and the only one assigned to the corporate group, Catherine is determined to continue impressing her bosses with her diligence and legal prowess. Meeting the firm's billable hours quo ...more
Published April 20th 2010 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about J'adore New York, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about J'adore New York

Jencey/
Sep 03, 2011 Jencey/ rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I loved this book! The Devil Wears Prada meets the lawyer world. My two favorite subjects in books high fashion and a hardworking career. The character of Catherine is a likable character and one that the reader will come to love. Some of the other characters in the book will keep you guessing as to where their loyalties lie. This book is the perfect debate book for Isabelle Lafleche.
Janie Hickok Siess
Nov 07, 2010 Janie Hickok Siess rated it liked it
Synopsis:

Catherine Lambert loves fashion and the law. One of only three applicants, out of a pool of thirty, selected to transfer from Edwards & White’s Paris office to its Manhattan headquarters, and the only one assigned to the corporate group, Catherine is determined to continue impressing her bosses with her diligence and legal prowess. Meeting the firm’s billable hours quota means long days and short nights, especially when two heinously spiteful secretaries are conspiring to undermine
Bookevin
Nov 01, 2012 Bookevin rated it it was amazing
Review originally on I Heart.. Chick Lit.
www.iheart-chicklit.blogspot.com

I was so so so thrilled when Isabelle Laflèche told me she would be more than happy to send me a copy of her (absolutely fabulous) debut novel. Let me tell you this: I finished it on the same day it arrived in my mailbox. It was seriously addictive and I loved it so much. J'Adore New York is the third book I've devoured in a day this year and I'm more than happy to gush about how perfect it is to wrap up a fantastic year!

Do
Jonita
Jun 29, 2010 Jonita rated it really liked it
Catherine Lambert is thrilled when she applies for, and is offered, the opportunity to transfer from the Paris office of her prestigious law firm to the New York one. Catherine has always been a lover of fashion and can't wait to explore all that New York has to offer her.

What Catherine is not counting on is the fact that New York will be far more challenging that she initially anticipated. Catherine is under constant pressure to meet her billable hours quota, and her bosses aren't afraid to put
Samantha Janning
Sep 11, 2011 Samantha Janning rated it really liked it
Catherine Lambert, a Parisian lawyer who loves style and a good challenge, takes the opportunity to transfer to her firm’s New York office. New York- the fashion, the glamour, the excitement- Catherine cannot wait for her new chapter in life. But New York turns out to be nothing what she expected. The workload and office hours are much worse than what she put in at Paris, the employees are gossipers, her boss very well may be from hell, and her clients are self-absorbed a-holes. But Catherine is ...more
Melissa
Sep 21, 2011 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story! Check out our review and giveaway! (US/Canada only, ends 10/10.)

Lilac Wolf
Sep 05, 2011 Lilac Wolf rated it really liked it
From: Lilac Wolf and Stuff

The cover shows a gorgeous woman with the most stylish pink suit-dress I've ever seen, you know you are in for a style conscious character. And yes, Catherine Lambert loves fashion! It plays an important roll to the plot as well.

So you know Catherine finally lands the transfer to New York she has been working so hard to get. She wants to become partner and is determined to work herself to death to get it. Okay not literally, but she works such crazy hours I lose the abi
CLM
Jul 28, 2012 CLM rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, ny, 21st-century, chick-lit
So disappointed in this book: by the dimwitted heroine (who should have been disbarred or fired for her behavior), her lack of discretion, her shopping and drinking in the middle of the workday - it did not resemble any law firm I have ever witnessed. I was also appalled by the poor proofreading (defence instead of defense, etc.), although that might have been her editor's fault.
Louise
Jul 06, 2010 Louise rated it did not like it
Ugh. Complete crap. I liked the cover and took a chance. What a waste. Terrible characters, terrible writing, boring storyline, main character was a completely self-obsessed loser. How anyone is supposed to believe that this woman is a high powered lawyer is beyond me. More like a talentless Bridget Jones without the humour.
Mireille
Feb 21, 2017 Mireille marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Me semble que quand on s'appelle "Isabelle Laflèche", on devrait publier en français et pas décevoir ses lectrices bilingues avec une traduction. (Cette critique est pas super rationnelle même si c'est la raison principale de mon arrêt de lecture.) Sinon, après 95 pages j'avais juste lu des aventures d'avocate qui est donc ben stressée par son travail, pis mon travail me stresse déjà assez comme ça, faike non merci.
Meg
Aug 24, 2010 Meg rated it really liked it
When Catherine Lambert leaves her law firm’s Paris office for the glitzy allure of New York City, she’s not quite prepared for the whirlwind that soon becomes her life: a maze of racking up billable hours, battling diva bosses and struggling with interoffice dynamics. As an accomplished lawyer in a top firm, Catherine has dreams of making partner and donning the latest Dior fashions — preferably at the same time. But shall the two ever meet? And when her time at the firm begins to sour, is it ti ...more
Eloradana Marlene
Mar 08, 2016 Eloradana Marlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chronique complète ---> http://chroniqueslivres.canalblog.com...

Catherine a un grand idéal dans la vie, devenir associée dans le cabinet d'avocat Edwards & White. Alors lorsqu'on lui propose d'intégrer le cabinet New-Yorkais elle saisit sa chance.

La voici dans la ville "qui ne dort jamais" et pour Catherine c'est on ne peut plus vrai. Elle ne va pas compter ses heures, car sa seule motivation est de mériter le poste d'associée. Très vite, elle va se rendre compte que le rêve n'est pas au
Michele
Review (and response from author!) can also be found on my blog!

J’adore New York has constantly caught my eye at the bookstore, and when my friend finished it in a matter of days, I asked to borrow it. Figuring I’d enjoy it, I didn’t realize how quickly I’d actually get through it as well! This debut novel from Isabelle Laflèche, a fellow Canadian, is a fun and entertaining read.

The novel follows the story of Catherine, a Parisian lawyer transferred to her firm’s New York City office and her str
Brigitte Alouqua
Mar 08, 2016 Brigitte Alouqua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah lala l'univers des avocats n'est pas tout rose !

Catherine travaille à Paris, mais veut devenir associée, et lorsqu'une opportunité lui est offerte à New-York, elle ne se fait prier et fonce.

Changement total de vie pour elle, les heures de travail s'amoncellent, le travail n'est pas de tout repos, tout le monde se tire dans les pattes, ...

Dans ce monde obscur, il y a malgré tout une lumière, celle de Catherine, c'est Rikash, son assistant. Un vraie petite merveille cet homme, il la soutient, l
Ozma
Oct 09, 2011 Ozma rated it really liked it
Granted, not the deepest novel in the world, but I enjoyed very much. First, as a lawyer, I totally identified with the stressful law environment (particularly at firms), the politics and so on, the logistics (yes, that is nerdy lawyerly of me to say). Second, I love the discussion of labels, designers and NYC. Third, the descriptions of French-American culture shock was enjoyable too. The plot wasn't bad either. Will it change your life? Probably not. But if you want to have a fun read and are ...more
Day's Lee
Apr 19, 2015 Day's Lee rated it really liked it
I would describe this book as Shopaholic meets The Good Wife. Catherine Lambert is a Parisian lawyer who gets a transfer to the firm's New York office with an eye on partnership. She quickly learns that being a lawyer in the Big Apple can be summed up in one word: billing. Being an associate lawyer means no personal life but what is a girl to do when your client, a gorgeous, charming millionaire doesn't take no for an answer? Isabelle Lafleche's book is a fun read. She created a well-rounded cha ...more
Anna
Dec 29, 2013 Anna rated it it was amazing
This book is ideal position when behind the window is crummy weather, when a head aches you, when you are feeling down. The book is relaxing and lets momentarily move in funny, at least also bitter world of New York lawyers, to know their successes and very difficult road to follow to them. J’adore New York is excellent, clear, correcting the mood and the position full of the dynamism. I will admit that I began the reading with the light scepticism for it. I thought, well next idiotic easy read. ...more
Gloria
Dec 21, 2011 Gloria rated it did not like it
I was really disappointed by this book. I never really got a feeling for the main character Catherine, and for someone who is French and moving to NYC, I felt that the book used too many American colloquialisms that a European would just not even think to use. Plus, for a character that was so dedicated to her work and doing the right thing, I was confused by a lot of her choices throughout the book. Definitely not worth the time it took to get through it.
Karine Shauli
Jul 28, 2013 Karine Shauli rated it really liked it
This was a fun quick read about a Parisian woman who works in Law and transfers to the NY office of her firm in order to try and make partner. She slowly see's how New York eats up the soul, tries to keep composure, and it's great to read how a woman can never let go of her real passions...

I really enjoyed reading this book, it made me giggle, smile, and laugh on the inside. If you ever need something light and fun grab J'adore New York.
Talli Roland
Oct 07, 2010 Talli Roland rated it really liked it
I'm always up for supporting fellow Canadian authors, so when I saw this gorgeous cover at the airport before flying back to London, I grabbed it. It's a great insider's view of corporate life in New York and a very enjoyable read.
Lady Alexandrine
Apr 18, 2014 Lady Alexandrine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Very funny and well written :) I know corporate life in a big firm as an insider and it is so much fun to read about it! Add some French culture and fashion to the hectic NY life and you got a charming, lovely book :) J'adore!
Mika
Jul 08, 2011 Mika rated it it was ok
The book appealed to me because of the fashion involved, but the characters were lackluster, the dialogue was too much and too juvenile, and the plot was too cliche. Not worth buying, which I did, but cute if you want something fast to read without having to think too deeply about anything.
Edna
Nov 21, 2011 Edna rated it it was ok
Ok 2.5 but a little pointless and repetitive at times. We got the picture being a lawyer is exhausting and not fulfilling. Got it.
Ineke van Mackelenbergh
Totally hilarious, albeit 'vacuous' - it was a good read. Snappy & good writing style, the story holds your attention all the way. I look forward to finding the author's next novel...
Jennifer Stark
Jul 23, 2011 Jennifer Stark rated it really liked it
I felt like I was in the whirlwind with the main character. The book was fast paced and an enjoyable read! Will be recommending this to friends.
writer...
will be watching for Isabelle LaFleche's J'adore Paris! light 'chic'lit, but easy to get into the story..
Natalia B
Feb 05, 2015 Natalia B rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! Light hearted, easy, humorous read. If you enjoy fashion, New York, some romance, and book that puts a smile on your face - this is the book for you!
Ingrid
Aug 03, 2011 Ingrid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastique, j'adore!!!
Marie-Michèle
May 04, 2013 Marie-Michèle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Très hâte de lire la suite... :)
Melissa
Dec 09, 2011 Melissa rated it did not like it
At first I liked this book, but as it progressed it just got worse for me. I felt like the storyline was a bit disconnected along with the characters.
Interview and Giveaway 1 5 Jul 26, 2010 08:04AM
  • Tales from My Hard Drive
  • Piment de Cayenne et pouding chômeur
  • Life After Yes
  • Hotel No Tell: A Novel
  • Fresh Powder
  • Soutien-gorge rose et veston noir
  • Balancing Acts
  • A Catered Affair
  • The Cougar Club
  • The Good Wife (A Brennan Sisters, #3)
  • The Truth About Delilah Blue
  • In Need of Therapy
  • Here, Home, Hope
  • Downward Dog, Upward Fog
  • The Other Mothers' Club
  • I Love The 80s
  • All for You
  • Falling Out of Fashion
Bonjour! I worked for over ten years as a lawyer before giving up my career to write. In 2005, I was responsible for the business affairs of a fashion designer where I developed a penchant for haute couture. I enjoy yoga, running, skiing, and walking my pooch Leo.

My first novel, J'adore New York, became an international bestseller. The sequel, J'ADORE PARIS, was published last spring! I am current
More about Isabelle Lafleche...

J'adore (3 books)
  • J'Adore Paris
  • J'adore Rome

“Time flies when all you do is work.” 3 likes
“The problem with the rat race is that even if you win, you’re still a rat.” 1 likes