Start by marking “One Love Affair: A Million Wallowing Anemones, a Thousand Eyes Peeping Through, a Thousand Spies Shivering, Unnamable Endless Flowerings, Countless Empty Bottles, Twelve Flowers, Eleven Trees, Eight Fruits, Four Vegetables, Four Peppers, Two Enemas, Tw...” as Want to Read:

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Poetry. [ONE LOVE AFFAIR]* meditates on mud daubers, Duras, and the deaths of mentally ill and drug addicted lovers, blurring fiction, essay, and memoir in an extended prose poem that is as much as study of how we read as it is a treatise on the language of love affairs: a language of hidden messages, coded words, cryptic gestures, and suspicion. As with Jenny Boully's deb...more
Published April 24th 2006 by Tarpaulin Sky Press

To ask other readers questions about One Love Affair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Love Affair

Matt
This book feels, and probably is, a project-book, where Boully takes three stages of a relationship (or so I'm reading it-- maybe it's one stage three times?) and kind of presents it as annotations to other things she is reading. The three sections are themselves made up of fragments, which are often either informed by or directly taken from texts that Boully is reading at the time. So there's a little bit of _Reality Hunger_ here, and probably something like a Federman "critifiction" happening,...more
Vincent Scarpa
“In last correspondences, never so much about what it was that really did happen in the end, in the very end. There is instead so much talk about beginnings. An so, that is where, for so long, I stayed, within budding hydrangeas, within unnameable endless flowerings.”

dear god, this book has taken something from me I will never get back, and given me something I will never lose.
Visha Burkart
This book didn't catch me the way her other (The Body) did. I thought the cover is one of the prettiest I've seen lately; I loved the literary references throughout - a writer talking about writing through writing never fails to elicit some secret joy from me, like a stranger letting you into a private joke. But some of the vaguer references were lost on me and I didn't like having to turn to the back of the book every time I needed confirmation (would have preferred footnotes).

Boully's way of
O.
enjoyable, amusing. non-linear narrative/obscurity balanced with familiar/revisited images. was a bit vexed by all the citations, but it had merit and made for some very interesting titles. some gems:

"...She would remember an orange boat tied to a dock, a dock that she wanted, and know that it wasn't him but the water she was in love with."

"...could not help her to accept the fact that in living, some things are just broken and therefore own their own beauty."

"In the vase of hydrangeas, the hydr...more
Peter
Because spring is not quite summer, Jenny Boully’s [one love affair]* is the perfect book of poetry to read in summer while wistful for spring. Or thinking of past loves and varieties of flowers. Or perhaps it is not a book of poetry at all, but a collection of sentences as ephemeral as, “an emptiness floating within the hollow of her pond boat.” In any season, you might open Boully’s book and read a sentence that says, “On the dock over the sea, everything smells like flowers and trees, the too...more
Natalie
I wish that I could give this book 10 stars. This tiny little book (65 pages) is so intensely beautiful that it gave me butterflies in my stomach. The narrative is shaped by the author's reading of other works which are referenced in footnotes. The prose poems are renditions of her thoughts while reading other texts and, as a blurb on the back of the book comments, it is really about the nature of reading and how our minds process another's story and lay our own stream-of-conscious thoughts over...more
Megan
mindy bought me this book for my birthday after i couldn't find it in the library.

i read this on the train and finished during my lunch break. it needs more than five stars. i really can't say anything that would be good enough for it.

seems alarmingly applicable to our lives; mine, mindy's, shane's, sarah's. all of us. even if the certain situations aren't specifically the same. the feeling is.
Erik
this is brilliant. boully has matured as a writer from her appearance in one of the "best american poetry" anthologies where her poem was composed entirely of footnotes--no text, just footnotes. this "collection" is a brilliant depiction of our lives being informed by what we read, and our reading being informed by our lives. we are complicit in the texts we read.
Dennis
This is an amazing work in both form and context. Guided by the notion that other's work influences ours, Boully lifts lines from books and placesthem within hers. It is a hybrid of collage and personal writing. This, ironically, inspires me. Would borrowing her borrowed approach be rerecycling? I digress.
Rachel
On the back of this book where usually it indicates where things should be shelved, there is written ESSAY/FICTION/POETRY. Spread a little thin, truthfully - I could tell you nothing about what this book is about, but could tell you all about what it's trying to do.
Rae
"And so, the entire catastrophe of the poet is the conspiracy of the world, how everything can be read yet how the poem the poet writes regarding this written world will never be read by the one for whom it is intended." (54)
Mindy Roth
Jan 12, 2008 Mindy Roth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: prose-poetry fans
It's so perfect. You can kind of read it all at the same time, or I guess in one sitting is the way to put it. There's this part about green beans floating up in a bowl of water and it is nice.
Amanda
It will take at least ten more readings before I could possibly comment on this. That I am willing to read this ten more times is a comment though.
Abbey
Metaphors, we said, and I did not know when it was that you were playing and when it was that you were not. You were never

Jenny Cropp
After a second reading, I am more curious, more confused, and more aware of how it invites my own narrative into the reading.
Josette
Parenethetical, narrative, filled with blanks, and experimentation. I love Boully.
Natalie Raymond
a hauntingly beautiful book.
Vicky
but i like jenny boully
M
M marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Rahma.m
Rahma.m marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Sherice S
Sherice S marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Charity Kanaskie
Charity Kanaskie marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Everett
Everett marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Jenny Boully is the author of four books, most recently not merely because of the unknown that was stalking toward them (Tarpaulin Sky Press). Her other books include The Books of Beginnings and Endings (Sarabande Books), [one love affair]* (Tarpaulin Sky Press), and The Body: An Essay (Essay Press, first published by Slope Editions). Her chapbook of prose,Moveable Types, was released by Noemi Pre...more
More about Jenny Boully...
The Body: An Essay The Book of Beginnings and Endings Not Merely Because of the Unknown That Was Stalking Toward Them of the mismatched teacups, of the single-serving spoon: a book of failures Moveable Types