Start by marking “Robert Downey Jr.: The Fall and Rise of the Comeback Kid” as Want to Read:
Robert Downey Jr.: The Fall and Rise of the Comeback Kid

Robert Downey Jr.: The Fall and Rise of the Comeback Kid

The first detailed and authoritative account of the life, career, stardom, and controversy of one of Hollywood’s most popular and gifted actors

"I've always felt like an outsider in this industry. Because I'm so insane I guess."  —Robert Downey Jr.

Robert Downey Jr.'s life isn't a movie—but it could be. This biography is an insightful, devastating, scathing, and ultimately
Published August 12th 2010 by Anova Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Robert Downey Jr., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Robert Downey Jr.

Sammet
Jan 26, 2011 Sammet rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Definitely an informative biography, despite the author's lack of connection with Robert Downey Jr himself. I was a little bit annoyed by the overly negative outlook on everything Downey Jr has accomplished. Surely, drug addiction is never a lighthearted story, and I understand that. His portrayal of the misery of being an addict seemed honest and good.

However, Falk pointed to nearly everything Downey Jr has done, every single movie and appearance with a depressing outlook. The reports of the bo
Phoebe Rolfe
Feb 17, 2016 Phoebe Rolfe rated it liked it
Shelves: biographies, non-fic
Considering that this is a biography written by someone with no personal connection to RDJ, I thought it was done rather well, but when reading this I had a constant sense that we weren't quite getting into the true heart of the subject matter. Ben Falk mentions several times that Downey has the ability to put up a façade and only show what he wants to show his audiences, and I feel as if this describes the book quite accurately too: it was extremely well-researched and informative, but I didn't ...more
Emily
Jun 26, 2012 Emily rated it it was ok
This wasn't the best biography of an actor that I've read. Robert is one of my favroite actors and I just felt like this book could have pulled deeper for a better perspective. The quotes felt generic and there wasn't anyone close enough to give a real quote, like Robert or his wife. The author wasn't directly in contact with these people so it was weaker that way. I don't know, just me, I guess.
Susan
Aug 31, 2011 Susan rated it liked it
This was pretty good despite not having the approval and input of Mr. Downey. I look forward to Downey's version of events if he ever decides to write an autobiography. I found the story both depressing and uplifting by turns. I join with all his fans in hoping he can maintain his newfound success. While I was reading this the news came out that he and his wife are expecting a baby; that was cool!
Tina
Jun 07, 2013 Tina rated it liked it
I have always enjoyed RDJ but knew little about the details of his struggles with addiction. I am truly happy that he survived his demons and is enjoying success today. He is a joy to watch on screen, and I am rediscovering his films. I would prefer to read a personal account by RDJ himself, but this will suffice for now. I do agree with other reviewers that this author was very negative when discussing box office and such, but I enjoyed the book since I enjoy the man.
Joshua
Nov 27, 2010 Joshua rated it liked it
Like many modern day bios, this started off completely engaging, with new things I hadn't heard, some things that were common knowledge, and a few in depth points that I wish had been clarified but somehow had been overlooked for years. Lost me on the last 100 pages or so. A shame.
Margaret
Oct 09, 2010 Margaret rated it liked it
A little disappointing as the author has never met Robert Downey Jr. Story however was put together well, but as to it's authenticity?
Brookylin Blake
ioijljou
Eloisa
Jan 16, 2016 Eloisa rated it it was amazing
Provided a lot of information. I knew that RDJ's life wasn't very....good at the beginning, but this is........wow.
Gillian Black
This started off really interesting though i got a bit bored in the middle.Liked the pictures at the end though.
Ella Stark
Ella Stark rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2013
Bella Twilight
Bella Twilight rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Angela Smith
Angela Smith rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2010
Kellie Fernandez
Kellie Fernandez rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2015
Lesley Janet Smith
Lesley Janet Smith rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
rosemary mckibbin
rosemary mckibbin rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2016
Dj
Dj rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2015
Montana Burgess
Montana Burgess rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Caro
Caro rated it did not like it
May 13, 2015
Walter Herrick
Walter Herrick rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2011
Rosf
Rosf rated it really liked it
May 23, 2014
Jen Krastel
Jen Krastel rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2011
Nguyễn Trang
Nguyễn Trang rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2015
Steve Bak
Steve Bak rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2015
Alissa
Alissa rated it it was ok
Mar 15, 2012
Christy
Christy rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2014
Inge
Inge rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2011
Borislav Nikolov
Borislav Nikolov rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2012
Lennea
Lennea rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2013
Marion
Marion rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2011