Start by marking “Don't Read This Book, Whatever You Do!: More Poems About School” as Want to Read:
Don't Read This Book, Whatever You Do!: More Poems About School

Don't Read This Book, Whatever You Do!: More Poems About School

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  56 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
In this delicious companion volume to If You’re Not Here, Please Raise Your Hand, thirty-seven poems and miniplays celebrate elementary school life and the funny, poignant, wondrous, and telling moments that can happen only in a classroom.
Published June 23rd 2008 by Aladdin (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Read This Book, Whatever You Do!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Read This Book, Whatever You Do!

Amy
Oct 02, 2011 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1) Genre: Poetry

2) This is a compilation of various poems related to school situations.

3) Critique:

a) Honestly, this was one of the worst collections of poems I think I have ever encountered. I really wish I had listened to the title of the book, “Don’t Read This Book, Whatever you Do!” I have always felt that any book, regardless of the genre, has something positive about it and it should simply be appreciated because it is a work of literature. Consequently, I feel that some of the poems have
Joy
I have a copy of If You're Not Here, Please Raise Your Hand so when I saw this on Open eBooks, I had to read it.

The poems are in the same vein as the previous book. I thought the one about the items in lost in found was particularly interesting. There are a lot of funny poems, but also serious ones. It's a nice mix. I related to "If My Hand Didn't Get So Tired" (with my carpal, this happens a lot) and "Don't Read This Book Whatever You Do" (since I have been known to walk around with my nose glu
Ashley
Apr 16, 2015 Ashley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
1. Poetry
2. This is a strange collection of poems that captures the many aspects of school life. Some are (to be nice) interesting takes on the life a grade-schooler but most are just lacking in any real reason to pick up this book. Most don't even rhyme. The only poem I really liked was about a mean student and a girl named Kate; which starts off really terrible sounding. I typically try to give poems a chance but this books content is just plain bad. Unfortunately, it's title is somewhat ironi
Janet Squires
Dakos at her best with this collection of poetry, some for single voices and some for groups. She captures the fun and foibles of life in an elementary school through the voice of children to share with children and adults. Both teachers and students will recognize these deftly portrayed moments in a school day.
Loosely-drawn, cartoon style artwork from Karas accent the verses.
Emma
Jun 27, 2016 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I loved this book of school poems as a child, but they are much more meaningful as an adult who has seen the teacher's side of education.
Dylan W. Rushing
Oct 01, 2014 Dylan W. Rushing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought it was a great mix of poems and riddles for someone to get a tickle about, read this book if you are a fan of poem literature!
Yasmine
Jun 14, 2016 Yasmine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this on an impulse and I really enjoyed it. The poems are short and whimsical. If you are just waiting for the bus to come or a quick read, this pocket-sized book is perfect for that task.
Roos

Now color the lakes
On your maps in blue
I'll try to finish
Before gym at two

(Teacher is sneaking peeks at her book while she is talking to students)
Stacey
Mar 08, 2015 Stacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-picks
Fun poems that will entertain your kids! Makes me smile.
Barbara Lovejoy
Dec 17, 2012 Barbara Lovejoy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED this book!!!--Many fun poems to share with teachers and scholars. Am so glad that I bought this book. Will donate it to our Esperanza library.
Read this book again (12-17-12) so I could mark which poems I wanted to put in a poetry file. The poems were even more fun this time around.
Stephanie Sapp
Apr 17, 2013 Stephanie Sapp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Maybe its because I met Ms. Dakos and heard her read the poems in 2001 but I have been reading this book to my library classes ever since. I esp. like Ode to a Toe, Pick me Please & If kids were in Charge of schools. I invite students to read the mini-plays in front of class.
Children's Literature Project
DRA:? Reading level: Grades 3-6

The book contains 36 different poems about school life. The poems express different situations that happen inside of the school. They depict experiences of students in the classroom as well as the dynamics among students and teachers.
Jean
Jun 22, 2013 Jean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kalli Dakos helps bring the school world to life with comedy and seriousness for people of all ages. Her rhymes are wonderful. As a teacher, you have to read "I'd Mark It With Sunshine" and you will never look at a red pen/pencil the same way again.
Cynthia
Apr 06, 2013 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I initially purchased this book 15 years ago, and about 6-7 years ago it came up missing. I love the funny look Kalli Dakos takes on as she writes from the child's point of view. If I ever see another copy I will definitely buy it.
Elizabeth
This book is filled of short funny poems about school. The book is ideal for elementary school students. And it is a great way to start introducing poetry in the classroom.
Ellen
May 13, 2009 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is like the best poem book ever. I really enjoy it!!! All the poems are really good....you should read when im done:)
Olivia
Oct 28, 2008 Olivia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i think that this book is very funny and it has very interesting poems.
Kaleigh
Sep 04, 2013 Kaleigh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the poem eric is allergic to girls
Anna
Jan 17, 2010 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
poetry........
Cara Noyes
Cara Noyes marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Marie Willis
Marie Willis marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Maya
Maya marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Vicki Hance
Vicki Hance marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Seianna
Seianna rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
Mom2triplets04
Mom2triplets04 marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Expertloser
Expertloser marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Riley
Riley rated it did not like it
Mar 12, 2016