Start by marking “Omnipotence and Other Theological Mistakes” as Want to Read:
Omnipotence and Other Theological Mistakes

Omnipotence and Other Theological Mistakes

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Book by Hartshorne, Charles
Published June 30th 1984 by State University of New York Press (first published December 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Omnipotence and Other Theological Mistakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Omnipotence and Other Theological Mistakes

Dec 11, 2007 Alex rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christians, non-Christians
If I believed in God, it would be Hartshorne's God.

The book dispels common Christian fallacies on the nature of God through the use of Christian principles. This book is easy to read, challenging to grasp, and enlightening to understand.

This book has changed the way I see Christianity.
It's a slim book with a lot packed into it. Hartshorne takes on a series of theological "mistakes" that he attributes to the medieval scholastics. In general, they mainly stem from attempts to meld Christian theology with Greek -- and particularly Platonic -- philosophy. Thus, as he points out, we get a concept of God as so perfect that God can never change, or even be affected by our actions in any way. A God who cannot respond to us, as this would imply a change prompted by our prayers, deeds, ...more
Not nearly done, but I am thrilled with it so far. The author is a theist, but tackles the subject matter honestly and intelligently. Where I would normally think that discussions about how God operates(/"thinks") are irrelevant (because, to me, there is no mind of God because there is no God), Hartshorne comes at the subject from a more philosophical perspective, and challenges believers to be more intellectually honest with themselves.
Tara B
I don't really believe that there is one individual in the way that we think of the word that is an almighty God. This is still well thought out philosophy, and I think anyone who believes in God, writes about it, but still does not bash gay people and saving the environment needs all the good publicity I can give these days.
Dec 23, 2008 Deb added it
Shelves: never-finished
I wish I'd gotten through more of this book before having to return it to the library, because hartshorne's theology rocks.
Good general introduction to process theology. I'm interested in reading more about it!
Quentin Tyson
Quentin Tyson marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Ian marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Jocelyn marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Fuck is currently reading it
Nov 03, 2015
Seth Bobbink
Seth Bobbink marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Bill Johnston
Bill Johnston marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Shiloh Cox-fouch
Shiloh Cox-fouch is currently reading it
Jul 15, 2015
Pensive_sojourner marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Bruce is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2015
Andrew Harris
Andrew Harris marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Mark Malish
Mark Malish marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Liam marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Arcane Asunder
Arcane Asunder marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Johnna Sturgeon
Johnna Sturgeon marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Mark Swisaboi
Mark Swisaboi marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Robert Riley-mercado
Robert Riley-mercado marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014