Abandon (U.S. Marshall, #6)

Abandon (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals #6)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  637 ratings  ·  47 reviews
On what is supposed to be a quiet long weekend in New Hampshire, Deputy U.S. Marshal Mackenzie Stewart is viciously attacked at the lakefront cottage of her friend, federal judge Bernadette Peacham. Mackenzie fends off her attacker, but he manages to escape. Everything suggests he's a deranged drifter--until FBI special agent Andrew Rook arrives.

With Rook, Mackenzie broke...more
Published August 1st 2007 by Mira Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Abandon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abandon

Jackie
Easy good read. Finally, this is a mystery story without the gore and sexual nonsense.
Anita Fleming
You get almost the entire mystery in the first two chapters. The suspense comes in how this affects new Deputy U.S. Marshal Mackenzie Stewart and FBI Special Agent Andrew Rook. This is the last book in the Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals series and a lot of the previous characters make appearances, which is nice. I had to read the reviews of the other books to catch myself up on what their stories were.

Mac and Rook meet one stormy summer night running for shelter from a sudden rain storm. It was an ins...more
Ns
Abandon was reminiscent of a typical Carla Neggers novel: great plot and great characters. What I really appreciated the most were the characters whose history and circumstances did carry an emotional depth.

Mackenzie Stewart is an unlikely U.S. Marshall, nonetheless she does the job well showing promise and potential. Unlikely, because to all who know her there is a delicateness about her that is more suited for the college professor she was prior to becoming a Marshall. New to her job, her tra...more
Pattianne
Abandon - Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshall #6 - (Mack and Andrew Rook) - Mack is a Marshall searching out a killer and an embezzler.

On what is supposed to be a quiet long weekend in New Hampshire, Deputy U.S. Marshal Mackenzie Stewart is viciously attacked at the lakefront cottage of her friend, federal judge Bernadette Peacham. Mac fends off her attacker, but he manages to escape. Everything suggests he's a deranged drifter-until FBI special agent Andrew Rook arrives.

With Rook, Mac broke her own rule n...more
PepsiGirl
This is an example of a good romantic suspense novel. With characters that are either FBI or U.S. Marshall, there bound to be some dangerous liaisons going on. Andrew Rook is the FBI agent that on a moment of weakness picks up U.S. Marshall Mackenzie Stewart. They have instant chemistry but they don't know what each other does for a living, and this is a problem. Conflict of interest, she thought he had some boring job like an IRS agent,and she has already vowed to herself not to get involved in...more
Barbara
Occasionally, I suffer from insomnia and lie awake in bed, trying to return to sleep. Last night, I awoke at 12:10 am and decided that if I couldn’t sleep, I would read. I picked up this book, having never read one of Carla Neggers’s books before. I finished it at 1:27 am. And barely remembered who the main characters were.

The book is classified as romantic suspense, and there is romance between US Marshal Mackenzie Stewart and FBI agent Andrew Rook; they share a couple of hot nights together. B...more
Darcia Helle
Before picking up this book I'd only read the first in this series, and that was quite some time ago. I do think this series would be more enjoyable if read from start to finish. That being said, it does work fine as a stand-alone.

Mackenzie's quick wit, along with the combination of toughness and insecurity, made for a standout heroine. While I liked Andrew Rook's character, I didn't feel much of a connection to him. This is one of the instances in which I think reading the prior books first wou...more
Krista
Tried to listen to audiobook but the narrator was awful. Her voice was flat and half of the time I couldn't tell what character she was doing. I am used to narrators like Jim Dale, Scott Brick and Barbara Rosenblat who are wonderful. I will read the book instead.
Jaime
Something about this just didn’t work for me. It started out with some promise, and I thought we were heading into some big conspiracy story. Instead, we get a mostly crazy guy who conveniently has past ties to our main character. A master criminal, he definitely was not. Also, since Mac and Rook already know each other when the story opens, we miss out on the chase that is often the best part of a romantic suspense. It’s only a matter of time before they fall together again, especially since th...more
Mary Baker
I enjoyed this novel. I didn't want to put it down when I reached the last 100-pages. I liked the way all the plot strands came together at the end.
Mary
Forgot that I had already read this, must have been one of my first Carla books.

One of the ones that got me hooked on reading all of her books!
Susan
Nice evening read!
Patricia Lundstrom
Good read- good flow of the action -no padding
Tammy Pickens
Another great read by Carla Neggers.
Bj Hoover
I wish I had read this series in order. Realizing that the characters were all acquaintances in earlier books made it a little difficult to get into the swing of things, but, as usual, Carla Neggers has crafted a suspenseful and gripping story with high stakes and a master criminal gone violent and on the loose. A good romance with Mac and Rook finding their way to a happy ending.
Susan
Good story. However, I had a hard time keeping the characters sorted out. I'm sure it wasn't the author's fault, but mine, but whenever I read a name I had to stop and think for a minute who the person was. That made it a bit distracting and kept the story flowing along for me.

Will look up other titles by this author. Any recommendations?
Bob
Mackenzie Stewart is a new US Marshall who while on a trip back to her New Hampshire home is surprised by a scruffy bearded man who she fights off but ends getting a knife wound in the process. Thus begins a tale of old friends, blackmail plots, a new romance and more danger. A decent read and not a “heavy” one.
Beth
Maybe it's because I apparently jumped in mid-series, but I really didn't care for this one. The heroine was much too impetuous, even foolish. There were too many "bad guys" and way too much time spent with them and what they thought and did. I had to force myself to push through.
Peg
This is a well crafted story that's easy to read. The characters were somewhat two-dimensional, but the plot line had me hooked throughout. Reminded me a little of Mary Higgins Clark.
Pamela
Setting includes a New Hampshire wooded area around a lake and refers to Mount Washington. The author lives Quechee Gorge, Vermont. All of these were places I visited last year.
Sandy Neal
Good. Romantic but decent story. A patient gave me this paperback a few years back. She enjoyed this author and I enjoyed her, so I knew it would be a good book.
ReneeB
I really enjoyed this Marshall series. I'd like to read a little more in depth about some of the characters. Hopefully she'll continue to write more in the future.
Dhaverma
Not much of a romance. A lot of characters to get to know when you haven't read any of the other books in the series. Liked the evil doer's character the most.
Terri
I thoroughly enjoyed all of the books in this series.
Lauren
Nice fluffy romance that wrapped up a little too quickly. A fair amount of references to other happy couples, which I assume were different books by the author.
SJuhl4
The last of the US Marshalls series. All of them were excellent, this was no exception. Sorry to see the series come to an end. Very good read.
Jean
This book is adequate and a fast read. The characters are fun and the reader does end up caring about what happens to them.
  • On the Edge: WITH Capsized AND Shelter Island AND Bougainvillea
  • Fade To Red
  • Dead Right (Stillwater Trilogy, #3)
  • Absolute Certainty (Marty Nickerson, #1)
  • Born To Be Wild
  • Sleight of Hand (Barbara Holloway #9)
  • Cutting Edge: A Novel of Suspense
  • Always Time to Die (St. Kilda Consulting, #1)
  • Lonely is the Night (Shadow Force, #5)
  • 4 Bodies and a Funeral (Body Movers, #4)
  • Midnight Fear (Chasing Evil Trilogy, #2)
  • Twist of Fate
  • Everlasting Love
  • White Mountain
  • Ada's Rules: A Sexy Skinny Novel
  • The Seduction of an English Lady
Carla Neggers has been spinning stories ever since she climbed a tree with pad and pen at age eleven. Now she is the New York Times bestselling author of almost 70 novels, with millions of books sold in over 30 countries. Her popular Sharpe & Donovan romantic suspense series featuring FBI agents Emma Sharpe and Colin Donovan launched with Saint’s Gate in 2011 and has been praised as “a breatht...more
More about Carla Neggers...
The Widow (FBI, #1) Cold Pursuit (Black Falls, #1) Cold Ridge (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #1) Secrets of the Lost Summer (Swift River Valley, #1) Breakwater (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #5)