Start by marking “Abandon (U.S. Marshall, #6)” as Want to Read:
Abandon (U.S. Marshall, #6)

Abandon (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals #6)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  790 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
On what is supposed to be a quiet long weekend in New Hampshire, Deputy U.S. Marshal Mackenzie Stewart is viciously attacked at the lakefront cottage of her friend, federal judge Bernadette Peacham. Mackenzie fends off her attacker, but he manages to escape. Everything suggests he's a deranged drifter--until FBI special agent Andrew Rook arrives.

With Rook, Mackenzie broke
Published August 1st 2007 by Mira Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Abandon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abandon

Jackie
Jun 12, 2013 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy good read. Finally, this is a mystery story without the gore and sexual nonsense.
booksthroughbifocals
My first Neggars book but definitely not the last!

This novel captured my attention from the first page and held it. The characters are intricately crafted as is the plot. I never suspected the content of that last puzzle piece, that why behind the series of events that kept the reader involved and feeling like a participant rather than an onlooker. Very well written...adult mystery/crime/suspense with a few romantic scenes that were not excessively explicit, but a seamless part of the whole. Bra
Anita
You get almost the entire mystery in the first two chapters. The suspense comes in how this affects new Deputy U.S. Marshal Mackenzie Stewart and FBI Special Agent Andrew Rook. This is the last book in the Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals series and a lot of the previous characters make appearances, which is nice. I had to read the reviews of the other books to catch myself up on what their stories were.

Mac and Rook meet one stormy summer night running for shelter from a sudden rain storm. It was an ins
Ns
Jan 28, 2011 Ns rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abandon was reminiscent of a typical Carla Neggers novel: great plot and great characters. What I really appreciated the most were the characters whose history and circumstances did carry an emotional depth.

Mackenzie Stewart is an unlikely U.S. Marshall, nonetheless she does the job well showing promise and potential. Unlikely, because to all who know her there is a delicateness about her that is more suited for the college professor she was prior to becoming a Marshall. New to her job, her tra
Pattianne
Jan 17, 2014 Pattianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abandon - Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshall #6 - (Mack and Andrew Rook) - Mack is a Marshall searching out a killer and an embezzler.

On what is supposed to be a quiet long weekend in New Hampshire, Deputy U.S. Marshal Mackenzie Stewart is viciously attacked at the lakefront cottage of her friend, federal judge Bernadette Peacham. Mac fends off her attacker, but he manages to escape. Everything suggests he's a deranged drifter-until FBI special agent Andrew Rook arrives.

With Rook, Mac broke her own rule n
PepsiGirl
Mar 08, 2013 PepsiGirl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fbi-agents
This is an example of a good romantic suspense novel. With characters that are either FBI or U.S. Marshall, there bound to be some dangerous liaisons going on. Andrew Rook is the FBI agent that on a moment of weakness picks up U.S. Marshall Mackenzie Stewart. They have instant chemistry but they don't know what each other does for a living, and this is a problem. Conflict of interest, she thought he had some boring job like an IRS agent,and she has already vowed to herself not to get involved in ...more
Barbara
Occasionally, I suffer from insomnia and lie awake in bed, trying to return to sleep. Last night, I awoke at 12:10 am and decided that if I couldn’t sleep, I would read. I picked up this book, having never read one of Carla Neggers’s books before. I finished it at 1:27 am. And barely remembered who the main characters were.

The book is classified as romantic suspense, and there is romance between US Marshal Mackenzie Stewart and FBI agent Andrew Rook; they share a couple of hot nights together. B
Darcia Helle
Before picking up this book I'd only read the first in this series, and that was quite some time ago. I do think this series would be more enjoyable if read from start to finish. That being said, it does work fine as a stand-alone.

Mackenzie's quick wit, along with the combination of toughness and insecurity, made for a standout heroine. While I liked Andrew Rook's character, I didn't feel much of a connection to him. This is one of the instances in which I think reading the prior books first wou
Tamera
Feb 16, 2016 Tamera rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A generic romantic suspense novel. It's obviously a series, evidenced by all the characters and dropped backstories. This didn't make the story hard to follow, but I didn't think there was much suspense to the story anyway.
Krista
Tried to listen to audiobook but the narrator was awful. Her voice was flat and half of the time I couldn't tell what character she was doing. I am used to narrators like Jim Dale, Scott Brick and Barbara Rosenblat who are wonderful. I will read the book instead.
Jaime
Dec 02, 2010 Jaime rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Something about this just didn’t work for me. It started out with some promise, and I thought we were heading into some big conspiracy story. Instead, we get a mostly crazy guy who conveniently has past ties to our main character. A master criminal, he definitely was not. Also, since Mac and Rook already know each other when the story opens, we miss out on the chase that is often the best part of a romantic suspense. It’s only a matter of time before they fall together again, especially since th ...more
Nola Arganbright
Aug 21, 2015 Nola Arganbright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Carla Neggers book but it will not be my last. I enjoy books with law enforcement characters. There was plenty of action and intrigue. There was a little romance and the story flowed well.
Mary Baker
I enjoyed this novel. I didn't want to put it down when I reached the last 100-pages. I liked the way all the plot strands came together at the end.
The TBR Pile *Book review site*

I liked the book. Abandon was good but was wasn't climactic.
Trudy Pomerantz
Mar 28, 2015 Trudy Pomerantz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was a struggle to get through. Just not my style - too much unnecessary description, the protagonists bored me.
Mary
Mar 03, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Forgot that I had already read this, must have been one of my first Carla books.

One of the ones that got me hooked on reading all of her books!
Sylvia
Jan 13, 2016 Sylvia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. An easy enjoyable read.
Irene Dreger
Nice easy read.
Susan
Aug 02, 2014 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice evening read!
Lettie Cox
Just "ok"
Patricia Lundstrom
Good read- good flow of the action -no padding
Jennifer Halbur
Aug 17, 2014 Jennifer Halbur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love thus series!
Tammy Pickens
Feb 12, 2014 Tammy Pickens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great read by Carla Neggers.
Bj Hoover
Oct 10, 2012 Bj Hoover rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I had read this series in order. Realizing that the characters were all acquaintances in earlier books made it a little difficult to get into the swing of things, but, as usual, Carla Neggers has crafted a suspenseful and gripping story with high stakes and a master criminal gone violent and on the loose. A good romance with Mac and Rook finding their way to a happy ending.
Susan
Sep 10, 2009 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Good story. However, I had a hard time keeping the characters sorted out. I'm sure it wasn't the author's fault, but mine, but whenever I read a name I had to stop and think for a minute who the person was. That made it a bit distracting and kept the story flowing along for me.

Will look up other titles by this author. Any recommendations?
Bob
Sep 26, 2012 Bob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mackenzie Stewart is a new US Marshall who while on a trip back to her New Hampshire home is surprised by a scruffy bearded man who she fights off but ends getting a knife wound in the process. Thus begins a tale of old friends, blackmail plots, a new romance and more danger. A decent read and not a “heavy” one.
Kathy
I think I am finally used to this narrator. Either that or she has improved because I didn't have the issues I have in the past with her.
I liked the plot on this one. I feel like there wasn't any big reveal on this one, though there are tidbits of aha moments. I liked Mac and Rook.
Beth
Oct 09, 2013 Beth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it's because I apparently jumped in mid-series, but I really didn't care for this one. The heroine was much too impetuous, even foolish. There were too many "bad guys" and way too much time spent with them and what they thought and did. I had to force myself to push through.
Peg
Dec 08, 2012 Peg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a well crafted story that's easy to read. The characters were somewhat two-dimensional, but the plot line had me hooked throughout. Reminded me a little of Mary Higgins Clark.
  • On the Edge (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #1.5)
  • Fade To Red
  • By Stone, by Blade, by Fire (Barbara Holloway, #13)
  • The Perfect Murder (The Last Stand, #6)
  • Kiss of Death
  • Shattered (High Risk, #3)
  • Prime Time
  • Absolute Certainty (Marty Nickerson, #1)
  • A Cold Day in Hell
  • Born To Be Wild
  • Circle of Influence (Zoe Chambers Mysteries, #1)
  • With Her Last Breath
  • Edge of Black (Dr. Samantha Owens #2)
  • Traceless (Less Series, #1)
  • Dead End (Dead #4; John Mancini #6)
  • Everlasting Love
  • Sleep Softly
  • Into Danger (S.A.S.S., #1)
Carla Neggers has been spinning stories ever since she climbed a tree with pad and pen at age eleven. Now she is the New York Times bestselling author of almost 70 novels, with millions of books sold in over 30 countries. Her popular Sharpe & Donovan romantic suspense series featuring FBI agents Emma Sharpe and Colin Donovan launched with Saint’s Gate in 2011 and has been praised as “a breatht ...more
More about Carla Neggers...

Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals (6 books)
  • Cold Ridge (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #1)
  • Night's Landing (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #2)
  • The Rapids (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #3)
  • Dark Sky (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #4)
  • Breakwater (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #5)