Start by marking “Wings of Fear” as Want to Read:
Wings of Fear

Wings of Fear (Border Watch #1)

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  181 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Contemporary Suspense Novel set in Northern Australia.

What Morgan doesn’t know is that Rafe
Mass Market Paperback, Second edition; re-released, 242 pages
Published February 1st 2011 by Hachette Australia (first published March 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Wings of Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wings of Fear

Shattered Sky by Helene YoungWings of Fear by Helene YoungBurning Lies by Helene YoungDark Country by Bronwyn ParryAs Darkness Falls by Bronwyn Parry
Australian Romantic Suspense fiction
2nd out of 34 books — 26 voters
Wings of Fear by Helene YoungThe Beach House by Helen McKenna48 Shades of Brown by Nick EarlsThornwood House by Anna RomerThe Girl Most Likely by Rebecca Sparrow
Queensland Fiction
1st out of 51 books — 42 voters

More lists with this book...

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Jan 15, 2012 Shelleyrae at Book'd Out rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aussie-author
The coastline of Queensland stretches some 6973 km (or 4333 miles) and protecting it is a daunting prospect, particularly in the sparsely populated region of the far north which is vulnerable as a point for illegal entry to Australia. Coastal surveillance is a huge operation involving patrol by sea and air and Helene Young, a pilot herself, recognised it's unique potential as a setting for Wings of Fear.

In Wings of Fear, Captain Morgan Pentland is a pilot for the Border Watch fleet in far north
Sonyatchka
Mar 23, 2010 Sonyatchka rated it it was amazing
So often in romantic suspense the story only scratches the surface of the suspense aspect, glossing over the gritty parts in order to get to the romance. Helene Young has found just the right balance between romance and suspense in her story. This is a tricky genre to write, as often one aspect takes over from the other, and the story becomes difficult to believe. This one – well, I can’t think of anything negative to say! She made me fall in love with her characters, and that is so important in ...more
Bree T
Captain Morgan Pentland works in far north Queensland, flying an aircraft as part of the border patrol team, tasked with keeping Australia’s vast borders secure. It’s a difficult job with so much coastline, especially far up north where there are sections that are uninhabited. When Customs Agent Rafe Daniels appears to join her crew for a mission, she is instantly suspicious and wary of him. What does he want? Why does what he says not match what he orders them to do? Morgan is even more disturb ...more
Simone
Morgan Pentland is a pilot who patrols the coastline of northern Queensland. Rafe Daniels is a customs agent who joins her crew. On the trail of suspected terrorists, Morgan doesn’t realise that Rafe has her under surveillance, due to a leak in sensitive security information (that everybody assumes Morgan is responsible for). Then Morgan and Rafe are shot down in a terrifying mid-air attack and each realises they are both on the same side. However they are now in a race against time as terrorist ...more
Leonie
Apr 01, 2013 Leonie rated it really liked it
I read this book as part of the AWWC 2013.

This book was a nice find for me. Helene Young has followed the old adage of writing what you know, and has done so very well.

Her obvious love for the far north of Queensland was conveyed beautifully in this book. Her female characters were interesting, strong, and well characterised, and I felt an affinity with Morgan from the beginning. I really enjoyed the dialogue between her characters - it was engaging and realistic. The changes in point of view w
Nas Dean
Jul 21, 2013 Nas Dean rated it it was amazing
WINGS OF FEAR previously published as BORDER WATCH is by author Helen Young.

Captain Morgan Pentland is unaware that customs official Rafe Daniels has her under surveillance. He is her mission commander and she follows his orders. Yet Rafe is sure that someone is leaking information to the terrorists.

Could it be Morgan? His instincts are screaming a resounding no, yet the evidence points to her.

While following Rafe’s orders, Morgan’s airplane was shot in the sky. And she had to crash land the a
Maggie
Jul 06, 2012 Maggie rated it it was amazing
There is one word I choose to describe this novel, Heart.

This story is situated in North Queensland.
Morgan Pentland, a Senior pilot for Border Watch returns to work after a holiday, just after finding the body of a dead man on Trinity Beach where she lives. There is some unusual activity in the Gulf of Carpentaria and Custom Agent Rafe Daniels is the mission commander. There is some hostility going on between these two and Morgan is non too happy to be under his command. Problems with the aircra
Jenn McLeod
Nov 21, 2011 Jenn McLeod rated it it was amazing
Fasten your seatbelts and let Helene take you on a fabulous journey, flying with the dedicated and intensely private Captain Morgan Petland (and crew) as she and hunky ex-SAS soldier, Rafe Daniels, work together to expose a devastating terrorist threat on Australian soil.

This story is HUGE.

It has depth of both plot and character that you rarely see in the contemporary romance-suspense genre, giving readers a story as rich as our big brown land and as vast as the pristine coastal waters that surr
Helen McKenna
Captain Morgan Pentland hasn’t had an easy life, but she has worked hard to create a great career for herself as a pilot patrolling the vast Queensland coastline. Immediately curious when customs agent Rafe Daniels joins her crew, she soon realises there is more to him than meets the eye. What Morgan doesn’t realise is that Rafe has her under surveillance as a suspected leak in a terrorist plot. It’s only when their plane is shot down that they realise they have limited time to prevent an attack ...more
Lauren Murphy
This review was first posted @ The Australian Bookshelf

I loved this book! Wings of Fear was my introduction to Suspense Romance and I must say I am now hooked! I love trying a new genre and being pleasantly surprised. What’s more exciting is that it is by an Australian author, Helene Young.

Captain Morgan Pentland patrols the coastline of North Queensland Australia and leads a team who are like her family, co-pilot Lauren
and IT genius Gavin. Customs Agent Rafe Daniels joins her crew and Morgan
Carol C
May 09, 2011 Carol C rated it it was amazing
Wings of Fear, formerly known as Border Watch (my preferred title and jacket), had me flying with the characters through through this tension packed story. The far north QLd setting felt real - the heat, humidity and balmy tropics dripped through the pages. I knew the romantic outcome of this story from the start but other aspects of mystery and danger kept me reading to find out who was behind the security leaks and how would the story unfold next. What danger was around the corner for Morgan - ...more
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4/5; 4 stars; A-

This is my first book by this Australian author. I really enjoyed it. I particularly liked the authentic feel to the aviation aspects of the story. The mystery was well done as was the romance.
I enjoyed reading a story situated in Australia. The author's firsthand knowledge of the wilds or Northern Australia as well as the issues facing customs and law enforcements when dealing with a vast, unpopulated region, reminded me very much of some of Canada's issues.
Books from Australi
Joanne
Mar 27, 2015 Joanne rated it really liked it
I was in a hurry when I listed this book and confused it with another till I read the synopsis later. Glad I realised the mix up. It deserves more than the 2 stars I originally gave it!

Border Watch is a great read - an action packed adventure thriller, with a strong female lead character and all the necessary ingredients of a really good story. Fantastic to read a good novel set in Australia, and especially in the north. Hope we see more of Helene Young's work.
Phrynne
Nov 12, 2013 Phrynne rated it liked it
A fairly interesting story., only a little far fetched. If I was a fan of the romance genre I would probably have given it more stars. The main characters were likeable and I wanted them to get together but the whole thing was a bit cliched - first they hate each other, then they fall in love, then something happens which rips them apart and then at the last minute - but no spoilers!
Sandy Vaile
Jul 06, 2012 Sandy Vaile rated it it was amazing
I love to try new Australian authors and this one didn't let me down. A great suspense story with plenty of action, sexual tension and well developed characters.Helene's background in planes shows in the details of this story. The plot jump started, but I got to know the characters gradually and developed an affinity for them, so I cared whether or not there was a happy ending.
Alicia Hope
Apr 08, 2013 Alicia Hope rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Pretty much anyone looking for a great read!
I can easily count the number of un-put-downable books I've read in my lifetime, and Border Watch is definitely one of them. A great, swashbuckling type of story with a hero I fell in love with as soon as I 'laid eyes' on him! And the glimpse of cockpit workings, provided by someone in the know, was fascinating.
Get it.
Read it.
You'll enjoy it! :)
Jacqui Carling-Rodgers
Jul 20, 2013 Jacqui Carling-Rodgers rated it it was amazing
Wings of Fear, (which I've read as Border Watch), is the type of story that deserves to be turned into mini-series.

Without going into the plot description, which other people have done here ably, a couple of observations:

-- It's great to see our heroine along with her best friend and colleague go about their work as respected, capable pilots as a matter of fact without devolving into feminist cheerleading or featuring snide commentary from stereotypical sexist male colleagues.

-- Helene's vivid d
Nigelle-ann
Apr 08, 2013 Nigelle-ann rated it it was amazing
I am hopeless at reviews but what I do say I mean. I read this book when it had its original name Border watch and I was looking around for something a little bit different from the high fantasy that I was reading at the time. This book lept out at me at Big W and so i grabed it. Read it on 1 sitting and loved it. Helene writs characters that I love, honest real and with depth that makes you thing you could know them. Her stories are fresh and will appeal to everyone, to be advertised as Austral ...more
Jo-Anne Smith
Apr 08, 2014 Jo-Anne Smith rated it it was amazing
Another great read
Gina
Nov 23, 2014 Gina rated it really liked it
I had high expectations for this novel and it did not disappoint. Once I became absorbed into the story I read this novel quite quickly! The characters are well-developed and I loved the dynamics between the female protagonist and her egotistical male colleague. I really enjoyed the aviation antics and language (helps being married to a pilot so this is everyday for me!). Author Helene Young has written a cleverly well-paced novel that piques the reader's interest and keeps it sustained - it's n ...more
Chloe
Aug 27, 2014 Chloe rated it really liked it
A fantastic Aussie (QLD at that!!) romantic suspense style of story. It's obvious to see the author's love for far north Queensland - the vast beautiful countryside where Morgan lives and works to patrol the borders and help keep the country safe.

Fantastic read - I went and got the second book Shattered Sky straight away!
Central Highlands Libraries
Contemporary Suspense Novel set in Northern Australia. Above the crystal-blue waters of North Queensland, Captain Morgan Pentland patrols the vast Australian coastline. When Customs Agent Rafe Daniels joins her crew, she is immediately suspicious. Why is he boarding her plane when she isn’t there? And why is he asking so many questions? What Morgan doesn’t know is that Rafe has her under surveillance. Critical information about their Border Watch operations is being leaked and she is the main su ...more
Maxine
Oct 13, 2012 Maxine rated it really liked it

I would have given this book 3 1/2 stars if that was an option as it really isn't quite four stars. It's a good read - however I did find it dragged a bit towards the end. I liked the characters and the steady build of the relationship between Morgan and Rafe. It is a beach read that is not too taxing. It was entertaining enough and I don't regret the time I spent reading it.
Amanda
Oct 02, 2014 Amanda rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic read! I cant believe I didn't find this book sooner, it has shot straight to the top of my favourites list! This story had a bit of everything- action, mystery, suspense, romance and the setting made me feel like I was really in far north Queensland,i just could not put it down. I have to get started on the next one right now!
Jenni Boyd
May 09, 2014 Jenni Boyd rated it liked it
For me personally it was not an edge of the seat thriller, but a captivating enough story all the same with an even balance of mystery and romance.
Juliet Madison
Mar 19, 2012 Juliet Madison rated it it was amazing
Well done Helene, this book has everything: romance, friendship, mystery, intrigue, suspense, & action. Such a well-crafted and detailed plot which is enriched by strong, believable characters and just the right amount of emotion and romance. The writing is also superb!
Sallyann Van leeuwen
I started out really enjoying this one, the writing and story very well done. It was suspenseful and drew me into the moment. Morgan lives in tropical Queensland and pilots planes for Border Watch, securing Australia's borders from illegal entry and fishing. When Rafe gets on board and asks her to circle over a suspicious boat, they are drawn into a situation bigger than first anticipated.

The story for me progressed well, for the first half. I think some of the characters were too unbelievable.
Maggie
Jan 31, 2011 Maggie rated it liked it
Recommended to Maggie by: Brenda
This book improved as it went along. Wasnt too sure at first, but by the end I found I was quite interested to know what would happen. Not too keen on romances - it always seems so obvious as to who will end up with whom - so that aspect of the story didnt appeal.
Lydia
Jan 01, 2013 Lydia rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It's the first one I've read of Helene's and will be going onto the next one, once I've brought it. I loved the characters and couldn't put the book down. But had to because of the kiddos :P
Natalie
Jan 15, 2012 Natalie rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense
I enjoyed reading a romantic suspense set in Australia. At times I had to reread to follow references to government agencies and flight terminology. I'd definitely read another by same author.
  • As Darkness Falls (Dungirri, #1)
  • Bella's Run
  • Queen of the Road
  • Zoe's Muster
  • Man Drought
  • Brumby's Run
Helene Young lives aboard a catamaran moored near the Great Barrier Reef in the Coral Sea. She shares her sailing adventures with her husband and their dog, Zeus.

Her work as a senior captain with a major regional airline takes her all over Australia and she draws inspiration for her stories from the communities she visits.

"I write romantic suspense with feisty, confident heroines many of whom (
More about Helene Young...

Border Watch (3 books)