South Park and Philosophy: Bigger, Longer, and More Penetrating

South Park and Philosophy: Bigger, Longer, and More Penetrating (Popular Culture and Philosophy #26)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Trey Parker and Matt Stone’s long-running Comedy Central hit cartoon South Park has been equally cheered and reviled for its edgy humor, poited satire of current events and celebrities, and all-around obnoxiousness. But is there more to Kyle, the lonely Jew, Timmy and the Crips, Cartman’s bitchiness, Chef’s inappropriate advice, and Kenny’s continued violent deaths than me...more
Published March 8th 2007 by Open Court

Marcelo Pontin
So far this book is serious Philosophy dealing with real questions but looking at them through the lense of the pop culture phenomonon of South Park.

You can complain that south park is too libertarian or to scatalogical to be taken serious but in reality they touch subjects and topics even the news stays away from and tend to take the middle ground, Hanley argues that some times this is a 'Pussy move", right or wrong.

Philosophers referenced range from Kant, Singer and other more modern thinker...more
Peter
Can see why god botherers might cringe. he uses sought park style language and directness etc. if ya cant handle a naughty word applied to your favorite god then 1- stay away from this book and 2- your a pussy.
Rob Haas
terrible. I felt like i was reading the thoughts of someone who smokes to much pot and tries to get real deep while they are high. This guy is supposed to be a professor of some weight at a prestigious university. Instead of giving me quality, i felt like i was stuck in the ramblings on an existentialist invalid.
Kristiana
I usually like the and philosophy types of books and I don't really mind reading anyone's arguments, but I do mind when the authors come in off the street, don't seem to care about the context of their examples and are determined to prove atheism in South Park when it's quite simply not the case.
Dwight
It was good, but not as good as some of the other Popular Culture and Philosophy books. This one was just as much social commentary by the authors as it was actual philosophy, if not more.
Brittiny
Excellent book. I have read it more times then I can count!
Freakyfan
Freakyfan marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Daniel R
Daniel R marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Sam Lewis
Sam Lewis is currently reading it
Jun 28, 2014
Levente Sandor
Levente Sandor marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Jwiz89
Jwiz89 added it
May 15, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Hamzah Taha
Hamzah Taha marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Felipe Guerrero
Felipe Guerrero marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Kyle Wall
Kyle Wall marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Andie Cee
Andie Cee marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Petra
Petra marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The Metaphysics of Star Trek Moving People, Goods and Information in the 21st Century: The Cutting-Edge Infrastructures of Networked Cities Moving People, Goods and Information in the 21st Century A Money Mind at Ninety Sustaining Urban Networks