Start by marking “Art of McSweeney's” as Want to Read:
Art of McSweeney's

Art of McSweeney's

A novel with each cover hand-illustrated by the author. Literary journals bound by magnets, or designed to look like junk mail. The sharp wit, gorgeous design, and playful why not invention of independent literary publisher McSweeney's have earned it a large and loyal following and made its journals, books, The Believer magazine, and Wholphin DVDs collectible favorites of ...more
Published June 23rd 2010 by Chronicle Books (first published June 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Art of McSweeney's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art of McSweeney's

GoldGato
May 31, 2015 GoldGato rated it really liked it
McSweeney's is a San Francisco-based publishing house that creates, shall we say, unique publications. Their approach is very independent with a deep pride in the printed book.

It should be noted that no one at McSweeney's has any formal training in book design or production. Pretty much everyone in our small company was first a volunteer or intern, and everyone considers themselves a perpetual student of the craft.

This book explores the various covers of the McSweeney books, some of which are (t
James Eckman
Jun 01, 2015 James Eckman rated it liked it
Shelves: art, fiction, skimmed
McSweeney’s is a strange literary zine with extremely bizarre articles and graphics. An interesting skim, but not a keeper.
Brian
Jun 29, 2017 Brian rated it it was amazing
Love books? Buy this book.
Wes
Apr 27, 2014 Wes rated it it was amazing
scrappy and idealistic. the book interests me most from the biz angle. I only have one MCSW, but I'm aware and obsessed with Dave's works.

they make things happen from nothing: sharing the obscure faces of writing with the world. it's inspiring to see a small team so focused on a passion dive into publishing. each issue, each cover, each set of stories are amazingly unique. things are not skimped if they obstruct the goal. if more ink is needed for the design to work, more will be bought and used
Adam
Jan 25, 2013 Adam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013readingyear
This book is an oral history of the first 11 years of McSweeney's. It's fascinating and funny, somewhat inspiring. There are also a lot of remaindered copies around so you should be able to find it very cheap. The book opens with Eggers' four-page email to get writers to submit to the first issue. In that email he makes a comment, seemingly a joke, "If we're not careful, we might make publishing history!" And they did, right? In the last fifteen years, McSweeney's has again and again made a case ...more
Eric
Aug 30, 2010 Eric rated it really liked it
I've always been fascinated and inspired by the McSweeney's publications, and this book's oral history format is wonderfully entertaining and illuminating. What could have been just a glorified picture book is also a compelling historical narrative that makes me want to go back to the actual issues and discover all the little details and literature I missed.
Tishon
Oct 12, 2010 Tishon rated it it was amazing
This was hands down the best design book I've purchased in years. So inspirational. I read it cover to cover and I think I might read it again. It's not so much the art, which obviously is phenomenal, it's the anecdotal commentary that make it indispensable. I particularly enjoyed the publishing tips. Get this book.
Melanie Richards
Feb 19, 2012 Melanie Richards rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, nonfiction, 2012
Definitely a coffee table book, but the most inspiring making-of book I've ever read. McSweeney's has a scrappy history, and its people work hard and try to make stuff they actually think is interesting! Seems pretty standard but I honestly think most people don't push their personal work nearly as far as it can go.
Diane
Aug 19, 2010 Diane rated it it was amazing
stuck true to it's title and is mostly about the design and making of books. And McSweeney's has made some really interesting ones. Inspirational for designers and print managers. Even includes a list of printing costs! :-)
Black Elephants
Jun 20, 2011 Black Elephants rated it it was ok
Shelves: art-design
Like most designs books, this is beautifully put together and really shows the interesting ways that McSweeney's visually approaches its layouts and covers. However, as a read, it's not very gripping. Stay for the pictures. Glaze over the words.
E. Chris
Dec 26, 2010 E. Chris rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for fans of McSweeney's, publishers, writers, book designers, or people who just love to delve into the creative process. This book will help inspire creativity- be it literary or design.
Russ Ryan
May 17, 2013 Russ Ryan rated it it was amazing
A literary coffeetable book that showcases the painstakingly-detailed book jackets and production processes from one of today's most innovative publishers.
Mary Peterson
Feb 17, 2011 Mary Peterson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-books
Gorgeous. Insightful. Inspiring. Full of process and shop-talk details you never hear about even in the glossy design mags. Highly recommended for anyone interested in design.
Betsy
Jul 04, 2012 Betsy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: McSweeney's fans+minions, illustration lovers
Ok, so I PERUSED this book, but it is hefty and lovely, and I will peruse and peruse as the moments strike.
Christopher
Jun 10, 2014 Christopher rated it really liked it
I love love love McSweeney's and have since almost the beginning! This is a great oral history.
María
Aug 27, 2012 María rated it it was amazing
Gracias, Jan de la Rosa
Carlo
Aug 16, 2011 Carlo rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: book lovers
Shelves: design-art
"Nothing is impossible when you work for the circus."
Will Dennison
Will Dennison rated it really liked it
May 19, 2017
Laura Cole
Laura Cole rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2013
Andrew Henderson
Andrew Henderson rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2011
Allan
Allan rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2011
(ben)
(ben) rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2010
Jackie
Jackie rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2013
John Kissane
John Kissane rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2011
James
James rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2017
Teddy Kristiansen
Teddy Kristiansen rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2014
Natasha
Natasha rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2013
Qogqog
Qogqog rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Penguin 75: Designers, Authors, Commentary (the Good, the Bad . . .)
  • Charley Harper: An Illustrated Life
  • A Love Letter to the City
  • Hieronymus Bosch
  • The Graphic Design Exercise Book
  • The Map As Art: Contemporary Artists Explore Cartography
McSweeney's Publishing is an American non-profit publishing house founded by editor Dave Eggers in 1998, headquartered in San Francisco. McSweeney's initially published only the literary journal Timothy McSweeney's Quarterly Concern , but has grown to publish novels, books of poetry, and other periodicals.

The recipient of dozens of awards for its contributions to literature and publishing, McSwe
More about McSweeney's Publishing...