Art of McSweeney's

Art of McSweeney's

4.56 of 5 stars 4.56  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A novel with each cover hand-illustrated by the author. Literary journals bound by magnets, or designed to look like junk mail. The sharp wit, gorgeous design, and playful why not invention of independent literary publisher McSweeney's have earned it a large and loyal following and made its journals, books, The Believer magazine, and Wholphin DVDs collectible favorites of...more
Published June 23rd 2010 by Chronicle Books

Christopher
I love love love McSweeney's and have since almost the beginning! This is a great oral history.
Adam
This book is an oral history of the first 11 years of McSweeney's. It's fascinating and funny, somewhat inspiring. There are also a lot of remaindered copies around so you should be able to find it very cheap. The book opens with Eggers' four-page email to get writers to submit to the first issue. In that email he makes a comment, seemingly a joke, "If we're not careful, we might make publishing history!" And they did, right? In the last fifteen years, McSweeney's has again and again made a case...more
Eric
I've always been fascinated and inspired by the McSweeney's publications, and this book's oral history format is wonderfully entertaining and illuminating. What could have been just a glorified picture book is also a compelling historical narrative that makes me want to go back to the actual issues and discover all the little details and literature I missed.
Melanie Richards
Definitely a coffee table book, but the most inspiring making-of book I've ever read. McSweeney's has a scrappy history, and its people work hard and try to make stuff they actually think is interesting! Seems pretty standard but I honestly think most people don't push their personal work nearly as far as it can go.
Tishon
This was hands down the best design book I've purchased in years. So inspirational. I read it cover to cover and I think I might read it again. It's not so much the art, which obviously is phenomenal, it's the anecdotal commentary that make it indispensable. I particularly enjoyed the publishing tips. Get this book.
Black Elephants
Like most designs books, this is beautifully put together and really shows the interesting ways that McSweeney's visually approaches its layouts and covers. However, as a read, it's not very gripping. Stay for the pictures. Glaze over the words.
Diane
stuck true to it's title and is mostly about the design and making of books. And McSweeney's has made some really interesting ones. Inspirational for designers and print managers. Even includes a list of printing costs! :-)
E. Chris
This is a great book for fans of McSweeney's, publishers, writers, book designers, or people who just love to delve into the creative process. This book will help inspire creativity- be it literary or design.
Mary Peterson
Gorgeous. Insightful. Inspiring. Full of process and shop-talk details you never hear about even in the glossy design mags. Highly recommended for anyone interested in design.
Russ Ryan
A literary coffeetable book that showcases the painstakingly-detailed book jackets and production processes from one of today's most innovative publishers.
Betsy
Jul 04, 2012 Betsy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: McSweeney's fans+minions, illustration lovers
Ok, so I PERUSED this book, but it is hefty and lovely, and I will peruse and peruse as the moments strike.
Carlo
Feb 26, 2013 Carlo rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: book lovers
Shelves: design-art
"Nothing is impossible when you work for the circus."
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Hillary
Hillary marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Wes
Wes is currently reading it
Apr 27, 2014
Pat
Pat marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Marie Claire
Marie Claire marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
mytree
mytree marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Phil
Phil marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Diane
Diane added it
Jun 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Mountain Man Dance Moves: The McSweeney's Book of Lists Noisy outlaws, unfriendly blobs, and some other things that aren't as scary, maybe, depending on how you feel about lost lands, stray cellphones, creatures from the sky, parents who disappear in Peru, a man named Lars Farf, and one other story [...] The McSweeney's Joke Book of Book Jokes More Things Like This The McSweeney's Book of Politics and Musicals