Start by marking “The Golden Hustla” as Want to Read:
The Golden Hustla

The Golden Hustla

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  1,350 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Only New York Times bestselling author Wahida Clark could take street lit to the next level in this incendiary tale of a hustler facing a game more lethal than any 'hood . . . THE GOLDEN HUSTLA She's the star sales associate of a profitable Atlanta "advertising" firm, WMM. She lives for top-of-the-line everything . . . and making enough money to finally reunite with her c ...more
Published October 19th 2010 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Hustla, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Hustla

Whore by Tanika LynchThe Bitch is Back by Deja KingUpgrade U by Ni-Ni SimoneNatural Born Hustler by Nikki TurnerThong on Fire by Noire
the darkest child
7th out of 21 books — 16 voters
The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister SouljahThe Cartel by Ashley AntoinetteTale of the Murda Mamas by Ashley AntoinetteThe Last Chapter by Ashley AntoinetteAddicted by Zane
The Hottest Urban Fiction
162nd out of 192 books — 269 voters

More lists with this book...

OOSA
Wahida Does It Again!

In “The Golden Hustla,” we're introduced to Nina Coles, a single mother of three. A tragedy forces Nina from her home in New Jersey. Leaving her children behind, Nina decides to relocate to Atlanta, Georgia, for a fresh start. Thinking she has left all the drama behind, Nina learns fast that sometimes you can’t out run your problems and that your past can come back to haunt you.

Leaving petty crime behind, Nina gets a legit job at We Make Millionaires where she transforms h
Merary
Oh my. The forbidden book. I remember that I read this book last year . . . and I was 14 at that time. I read an excerpt of the book and I couldn't stop blushing. Then, I decided: "Why the hell not?" and checked it out from the library.

This was one the first books I'd read with African-American characters(The very first being The Hazelwood Trilogy by Sharon M. Draper . . . I think). Not because I didn't want to, but because I was basically new to the genre.

So, the story is about Nina Coles, who
Sherrell C
I've read all Wahida's books and this was one of the funniest! The story follows Nina Coles and her escapades starting in Jersey and ending in parts unknown. I'm all for hood fiction but this book had so many different angles and subplots that at times it was hard to follow. So many characters came and went until they took away from the story at times. All in all I did enough the book primarily because of the the characters at We Make Millionaires. Although, he was an arrogant prick the "boss" i ...more
Aurali
This author has probably the worst writing I have ever struggled through. I felt compelled to read it since I won it on first reads (not sure how I entered this one). What really bothered me about this book was the author's writing in-between the dialogue. I don't mind violence and rough language used by characters. I do want the writing in between the dialogue to make sense and flow. On top of the writing issues, the editing was also really poor.
Bridget
I was instantly drawn in and entertained throughout the entire book. Wahida's descriptive ability is addicting. I have yet to read a book of hers that I didn't love. The characters in The Golden Hustla are memorable and the plot is untouchable.

Kevin
over the top characters, bad descisions by over the top characters and huge story holes. I expected more for some reason.
Sachki
I really loved this book would make a great movie.
Eva Leger
This is edited far better than any other urban fiction book I've read to date. Wahida, whatever you do, keep Karen Thomas. Do not let her go. You might be stuck with any one of the other "editing services" or "editors" floating around out there who can't edit better than my Labrador.
There are a few mistakes though, ones that I feel should have been found. On pg. 164 there is a sentence that reads "He was not called to see the judge until noon and he was out of there by noon." Obviously a carele
Bert Edens
Won this in a First Reads giveaway.

First note is that since this is urban fiction, the language is pretty rough. Not my cup of tea, but I won't knock it down for that because that's just as it is.

That said, I liked the book overall. I agree with another reviewer saying there are inconsistencies in the way the book reads that makes you flip back a page or two to make sure you didn't miss anything. One that hasn't been mentioned was the narrator using Tasha's name as part of the descriptive text (
Mikeisa Jones
Leaving your kids behind is one of the hardest things to do but if your leaving to give them a better life what needs to be done has to be done. Providing for your family is a must by any means necessary Which is what the main character Nina Cole believed.

Golden Hustla by Whida Clark has to be my favorite book of hers. This books talks about how the main character doesn't take no as an answer and does what she has to do by any means necessary. She hustler to get everything she has and is proud o
Linda
This book reads like a gangsta movie but that's ok because gangsta movies can be very well done with interesting, well-developed characters and a compelling story line. This book had one of those: an interesting story line. The rest lacked. The dialogue was thin and the descriptive parts were clunky or often non-existent. I saw this author speak and she has adoring fans. I can't imagine they're drawn in because of the power of the writing, though. Oh, the ending is disturbing to say the very lea ...more
Angelia
I won this book in a first-read-give-away on Goodreads....So let me start by saying this was an pretty decent read although it had alot going on and would NOT make it into my pile of fav's....Nina had sooo much going on in her life and once she moves to the ATL you would think she would leave the old life behind but nope....her pass follows her and she ends up making some very WRONG choices.....I read Justify My Thug before this one and I see that there are some of the same characters in this bo ...more
India Jones-tanner
I have read most of Wahida's books and they kept my interest, but I had a hard time getting into this one.

When Nina's plan of a quick come-up goes drastically wrong, she is left with the blood of her best friend Michelle and her brother Derrick, on her hands. Her other brother Peedie is left paralyzed. Fearing for her life, she relocates.

Trying to do the right thing, she reluctantly accepts a job at WMM as a salesperson. It pay the bills and it keeps her living a lavish lifestyle, but all that
Laura Perry
Nikki
I received this book in a First Reads giveaway.

I will have to say that this was probably my first time reading urban fiction so I wasn't really comfortable with the explicit language and some of the subject matter. It took me a little while to get into the story but once I did I have to admit that it did hold my attention and therefore making the book a fairly quick read. Although the story of Nina Coles did occasionally hold my interest, I thought that a bit of the story was far-fetched and rid
Gwendolyn Everline
Love her type of books. She keeps you guessing
Khadejia
Wahida, Wahida...I love your books :)
Chris
Although the story line in this book was very good, it was lost in all the language used as well as the WAY over the top sexual encounters that were described in full lurid detail! I'm not sure if the author was unsure of her success with this novel, so she decided to go with the old adage "sex sells", or not! And this is a "New York Times bestselling author"? Not my cup of tea. Please keep this book away from children.I won a copy of this on First Reads.
Karen Rowe
Fast read. I could not put this book down. At the time I read this book, I was working for a Call Center similar to this. I picked up some good selling tips, however, I don't think I would go to the lengths that some of the sales people went through.
Heather
This book has a great rating on Goodreads and is by a local author (Trenton, NJ), so I decided to check it out. Although I enjoyed hearing familiar streets and towns, It was mostly erotica with shootings & fbombs. Characters were not fleshed out. Listening to the story performed on audiobook certainly helped me hang in till the end, but it really wasn't worth the time.
Amber Ventura
I won this book through the first reads giveaway. I have to say this book is not my normal book I would choose to read, But I have to say that it was an interesting book. I was a bit confused at times and would have to go back a few pages to see if I missed something, but other then that it was a good book. I would definitely read another Wahida Clark book again!
Rachel
Love Ms. Clark's books. Always a page turner. This one had me laughing out loud. Especially when Shawn and Ronaldo would get into it. I never placed that King was the same King in the other books until Nina met him at the club. I looked the integration of him, Tasha and Kyron into this story. Cream and the deacon got what they deserved. Very good read.
JazzyRacquel
♥ This Book Was SOOOO SOOOO Good ! ♥ Nina Was Sooo Smart I Do Not Know Why It Took Her Soo Long To Realize That Cream Was Only Playing Her ! ♥ When Tasha & Kyron Made There Cameo My Heart Jumped ! LOL ! It Just Made Me More Impatient For The Release Of "Justify My Thug" ! ♥ Definitely Recommended ! ♥ Wahida Never Fails ! ♥
Rakia
This audio book production was much better. I loved the story but I wanted more of Reese. I hope there will be another book featuring him. Sadly Nina and I have the same taste in guys. I also like the rewrite of the same bathroom scene that was in Justify my thug but this time from Nina's perspective.
Tyler
I thought it was OKAY , I was suprised because it had nothing on any of ms.clarks other books . I also thought that the girls from the other books were going to have a bigger part in this book . But no matter what I love Ms .clark she is my favorite.
Katharine
Won it here (don't remember entering?!) so I read it. While there are some redeeming elements mostly I found it confusing and inconsistent. Some interesting characters but the language and sexuality seemed forced and unappealing.
Sharell
This book was ok but it went off the main subject of the previous story line. It also introduced new characters but tied back to some of the original characters in the end. It was ok but not at all my favorite of the series.
Shantelle
This book started off very slow. It took me a long time to finish this book because I had to keep putting it down and trying to get myself together to read it again. All in all, it was ok. I just think that it was drawn out.
Marsha Nelson
I'm not sure how to rate The Golden Hustla. Nina is the scary yet strangely sympathetic lead character. The plot is intriquing and there is lots of action. Read it and decide - just not "my cup of tea."
Dyvaiiziah
  • Superstar
  • The Letter
  • Keyshia and Clyde
  • Cartier Cartel
  • The Dopefiend (The Dopeman, #2)
Wahida Clark was born and raised in Trenton, New Jersey. She decided to start writing fiction while incarcerated at a women's federal camp in Lexington, KY. Her style is street, raw, and she has an imagination that's in overdrive. When you read her novels they are so real you are convinced of one of three things: that you are inside the book, you know the characters, or you just have to meet them. ...more
More about Wahida Clark...
Thug Matrimony (Thug #3) Payback Is a Mutha (Payback #1) Thugs and the Women Who Love Them (Thug #1) Every Thug Needs a Lady (Thug #2) Thug Lovin' (Thug #4)