Start by marking “North Star over My Shoulder: A Flying Life” as Want to Read:
North Star over My Shoulder: A Flying Life

North Star over My Shoulder: A Flying Life

It is rare to find one person whose life embodies the history of an industry the way Bob Buck's life encompasses the history of commercial aviation in America. Buck first flew in the 1920s, inspired by the exploits of Charles Lindbergh. In 1930, at age sixteen, he flew solo from coast to coast, breaking the junior transcontinental speed record. In 1936 he flew nonstop from ...more
Published May 4th 2002 by Simon & Schuster (first published April 2nd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about North Star over My Shoulder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about North Star over My Shoulder

Dan
Dec 12, 2007 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: flying
Buck has lead a fascinating life in the air, and on that merit alone I give this book the three stars. The amount of aviation history of you learn about by reading his story is amazing.

Unfortunately the content only barely sustains the horrid writing. It suffers from the same bland and cliched writing that anyone who regularly reads aviation magazines is all too familiar with. I'm talking about things like not understanding which details are relevant to a story and which aren't, so the author ju
Brian Thompson
This is a poorly written book, and bears no comparison at all to Ernie Gann's Fate is the Hunter even though they tell similar tales from the same era.

Bob Buck simply cannot write, Gann could. North Star is a mildly interesting read - once, but only to aviation enthusiasts. It is full of peripheral, frequently boring detail, name dropping and gives the impression of "the big I am". By contrast Gann writes beautifully, and in a personally very understated manner.

If you are looking for literature
Jeff
May 19, 2010 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

"North Star Over My Shoulder, 'A flying life'". Bob Buck, 2002. Sitting high in the left seat of a TWA Boeing 747, literally perched from the pinnacle of his career, Captain Bob Buck reflects back on his experiences in aviation, -his 'flying life'. And although I too share this familiar 'flying life' it was exhilarating to read words that I have often thought, experienced and felt. I would have liked to have flown with Bob Buck. Even though our experiences are several generations a part, we shar
Dan
Apr 05, 2010 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bob Buck is a pioneer in aviation having learned to fly at the age of 16 in 1929. He went on to flying for one of the first airlines in the U.S. During WWII he flew transports all over the world for the Army Air Corps. Retired from TWA in the 1970's after flying 747's. In his writing he teaches the reader many tricks of the trade flying in vairous situatuions and coping with constantly changing weather conditions. Tons of flying experiences varying from realaxed to very intense, he shares with t ...more
Christian
Jan 29, 2013 Christian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the book. It is not a literary masterpiece but it takes you to a time where pilots were heros and flying a jet over the Atlantic was an adventure and not an everyday occurrence. Plus, Bob stayed in Bad Homburg (even though he spells it Bad Hamburg) in the old Ritters Parkhotel (which is now the Steigenberger) which made this even more "close to home" for me.

I guess I can only recommend the book though for people with a serious connection to flying. Otherwise you probably will think that
Jim Bouchard
Dec 31, 2010 Jim Bouchard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A tremendous story of aviation told by a man who started in the earliest days and flew into the modern age of commercial flight.

Full of adventure and great tales- equally appealing to aviation enthusiasts to those who take to the skies as passengers for business or pleasure!
Mike
Feb 27, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a former private/instrument rated pilot I thought this book would be interesting and it was even more than that. A very readable, well-told and thoughtful story of a life spent largely in the air all over the world.
Mrs. Palmer
If you like aviation history, definitely check out this book. The constant references to the attractive hostesses got annoying after a while, but the overall story is quite interesting for anyone who wants to know more about the early years of commercial flight in America.
Mark Smith
Jun 03, 2013 Mark Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book written autobiographically of Bob who grew up on the cutting edge of aviation and navigation systems. It was fascinating getting a history of flight and the development of airports, systems and processes as aviation "took off".
Beau Smith
Sep 08, 2009 Beau Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The flying life of Bob Buck. Thi sis the man that inspired Charles Lindburgh. Buck's life was really exciting and he crossed paths with some of the most famous and infamous characters of the early 1900's. This is a must read memoir.
Alex Siegel
Oct 19, 2011 Alex Siegel rated it really liked it
Excellent.
Robert
If you're interested in the history of commercial flying, this is the book for you. This guy's a good writer. I bet he was a heckuva pilot, too. Fascinating read.
T.A. Clark
It's not a great book, but an interesting read. It gives some insight into the early days of airline flying.
Eric Vignobles
Eric Vignobles rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2016
Greg Chapman
Greg Chapman rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2017
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2009
Dan Frt
Dan Frt rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2010
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2012
Serge
Serge rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2016
Guillaume
Guillaume rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Ralph
Ralph rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2015
Steve Sorensen
Steve Sorensen rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2016
Natalya
Natalya rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2016
Sachin Adbe
Sachin Adbe rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2011
Joe Diamond
Joe Diamond rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2012
David Zimmerman
David Zimmerman rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Cliff
Cliff rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2014
Bob
Bob rated it really liked it
May 05, 2017
Brannon Troiani
Brannon Troiani rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2012
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Forever Flying
  • Fate Is the Hunter
  • Flight of Passage: A Memoir
  • Stick and Rudder: An Explanation of the Art of Flying
  • The Spirit of St. Louis
  • 747: Creating the World's First Jumbo Jet and Other Adventures from a Life in Aviation
  • I Could Never Be So Lucky Again
  • Hard Landing: The Epic Contest for Power and Profits That Plunged the Airlines into Chaos
  • Inside the Sky: A Meditation on Flight
  • To the Edge: A Man, Death Valley, and the Mystery of Endurance
  • The Last Gentleman Adventurer: Coming of Age in the Arctic
  • Flight: 100 Years of Aviation
  • Night Flight: Amelia Earhart Crosses the Atlantic
  • Facing the Frozen Ocean: One Man's Dream to Lead a Team Across the Treacherous North Atlantic