Sacred Unions, Sacred Passions: Engaging the Mystery of Friendship Between Men and Women

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  8 reviews
"Dan Brennan provides a provocative path to rethinking our sexuality and cross-gender friendships. It may be that sex scandals and broken marriages among Christians is the result of a famine in cross-gender friendships. With sensitivity and insight Brennan explores an often uncomfortable topic and what may be the Achilies' heel of Christian relationships. A must read for p...more
Published February 16th 2010 by Faith Dance Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Sacred Unions, Sacred Passions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sacred Unions, Sacred Passions

Chris Hubbs
In just a short book, Dan Brennan makes a strong case for throwing out almost everything you've learned from the evangelical church about cross-gender friendships outside of marriage. While at times it felt like he was trying to stretch his material enough to make it book-length, his argument resonates with me. It's worth considering how much more our own lives (and the church!) would flourish if these friendships were encouraged rather than dismissed.
Brian
This book hits the nail right on the head. Brennan exposes travesty that is the modern western church's understand of "cross-sex" relationships. For the longest time sex was seen as a dirty word, and thankfully much of the church has woken up and realized that sex is a gift from God, something to be cherished, not looked down upon. Unfortunately its understanding of cross-sex relationships hasn't come around just yet.

The church is so focused on avoiding unhealthy sexual relationships and foster...more
Adam Shields
Short review: I think this is a great book that really takes on the need for deep friendships in a modern world and set aside as a special need cross gender friendships. It is so good that I am going to host a blog discussion on it starting April 18, 2011.

I have a couple more books that I will send you free if you participate.

I will update this when the blog discussion is over.

My post about the blog discussion http://bookwi.se/sacred-union-sacred-...
My fuller review on my blog http://bookwi.s...more
Doug
Sep 28, 2013 Doug rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: other
"At it's core, this is a book about friendship, and about challenging us to do friendship better. I think the second paragraph of the foreword sums it up well: 'While the concept of friendship has been expanded to such a degree that it has largely been diluted, the concept of intimacy has been narrowed to mean primarily sexual intimacy, and within the Christian community, exclusive marital sexual intimacy.'" Click here to continue reading my review.
Michelle Bodle
This book invites us to rethink Christian relationships, specifically Christian friendships, and especially those friendships between members of the opposite sex. This book laid out clearly some of the thoughts I have had around friendships for some time. For those in opposite sex friendships trying to understand their value in a religious setting that condemns them, this is a great read.
Adrienne
"Yet, the story of Christ must not allow Freud to have the final word on sexuality and friendship."
AND
"When the husband-wife model is exalted as the only relationship where passionate oneness occurs, we have set up false boundaries of safety, romance, and male-female intimacy."
David Mcmorris
This is an awesome book; I highly recommend it to single and married people alike. The author articulates a vision of the presence of God's new creation future here and now regarding relationships between men and women avoiding both pharisaic legalism and sexual sin.
Swilder
Jun 16, 2010 Swilder marked it as to-read
On my TBR now. Been hearing quite a lot of buzz on this one.
Jenny Knox
Jenny Knox marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Joy Matteson
Joy Matteson marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Justin Hanvey
Justin Hanvey marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Rudy
Rudy marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Jared Longoria
Jared Longoria marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Henry Graf
Henry Graf is currently reading it
Dec 21, 2013
Amitydawn
Amitydawn marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
Christa Kolb
Christa Kolb marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
Carrie Wilson
Carrie Wilson marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2013
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2013
Aaron Smith
Aaron Smith is currently reading it
Oct 24, 2013
Michelle Kohler
Michelle Kohler marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2013
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2013
Nathan Eilers
Nathan Eilers marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2013
Keri
Keri marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2013
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2013